/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/sZqNrGDk3q8

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

damaskowatchtechnology.com/technology-ballbearing.php
alange-soehne.com/en/expert-infos/the-fusee-and-chain-transmission/
youtu.be/xoMKgkHIor4
breguet.com/en/history/inventions/magnetic-pivot
youtu.be/0nvQW-RcUPM
ablogtowatch.com/ask-watch-experts/why-do-watch-dials-with-roman-numerals-use-iiii-rather-than-iv/
reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/77xivb/seiko_my_wife_got_me_a_post_vasectomy_gift/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Possible discussion topics

damaskowatchtechnology.com/technology-ballbearing.php

alange-soehne.com/en/expert-infos/the-fusee-and-chain-transmission/

youtu.be/xoMKgkHIor4

breguet.com/en/history/inventions/magnetic-pivot

Thank you for putting /wt/ in the title OP

>alange-soehne.com/en/expert-infos/the-fusee-and-chain-transmission/

Imagine the service costs on this.

the watches that comes in are priced so high it wouldn't matter if the service cost was 20 thousand dollars.

>making easier for the shitposters to find the thread

it* fuck

don't start either post watches or discuss

Anyone have experience with open ended straps? Accidentally bought one from Hirsch. It has glue on each side which I am supposed to activate with nail polish remover.

I was thinking of taking it somewhere to have it stitched as well but I don't know if thats possible.

Hi there lads. I was swiming and i found this, anyone knows what model of seiko is?
Is quite fucked desu, don´t know if the mechanism is intact or it´s just the glass.

And the back

>activate glue with nail polish remover
What sorcery is that?

Just looks like some mall-tier quartz seiko. Likely not worth the effort to try and restore.

youtu.be/0nvQW-RcUPM

pics
i have made straps from cow hide and if its already cut and died its really not a problem

Not at home so I cannot take a pic but this is basically it but with croc leather. The part at the end is where I am supposed to activate the glue.

If you have standard pins literally just use them as a guide and glue it together.

I'm just worried the glue won't hold that well if I am taking it off and putting it on everyday. You think it'll be fine?

I always glue and sew my straps and only buy straps with thread and glue but it will probably be fine honestly.

What is the ultimate fuck you I made it go fuck yourself watch?

Why is IV written as IIII but IX isn't VIIII?

really makes you thank

It does.

OrientStar Retrograde on perlon.

Too big.

Fucking plebs ablogtowatch.com/ask-watch-experts/why-do-watch-dials-with-roman-numerals-use-iiii-rather-than-iv/

about to pull a trigger on Junkers
6754-1, should I ?

Can you take some pics of the finishing esp. the lugs? I need it for my research.

Quite clever, when you glance at it, it appears to be on the center because of the angle.

oh great, just what we needed was some fuckin orientmales. fuck off with that gook shitter faggot.

I ordered this vintage Seiko, it is my first one.
Does that mean I will become a Seiko male in the coming days or do I have to own a skx or a alpinist to belong to that category?

As long as they're not reddit watches (skx, alpinist)

You need to be a holy Seiko White Knight to be a seiko male. I have an Alpinist but I'm not a seiko male.

It sounds like that's where you should go back to, user.

>when you dont understand watchmakers 4 so the dial looks more symmetrical

The Alpenis, sarb033, skxFuckHuge are all LEddit seikomale watches. Vintage seiko and gs are cool

Makes me think

Honestly the majority of GS (especially the ones every one fawns over) aren't that great. I love that the snowflake dial one is like 1k on top of the base price for that watch too. They mostly are just too thick for the dress watch they try to be. I'm saying that I really want a spring drive for that sweep.

Raketa used IV almost exclusively up until the early 80's and it looked fine.

Damasko have finally decided to come right out and introduce a direct competitor to the Sinn 556, the DS30. It's 0.5mm wider than the 556 but 1mm slimmer. It doesn't use the ice hardened steel they typically use for their watched but instead uses the new surface-hardened UBoat steel they used on their diver.

I'm not sure what to think of it. I'm a big Damasko fan but the 556 is really nice. I like that the hands on the Damasko are a big larger than the Sinn and that it's at least surface hardened.

I really like that. Wish it was a touch smaller, the bottom right quadrant bit looks too big and empty, other than that the dial looks good.

can we not do this? Please? I get that its a totally open website and that is what makes it great. Of course some random asshole will come fuck up threads every once in a while but why does it have to be constant? Can we please keep this at least on topic if not civil?

yeah that looks far better.

Probably irresponsible to be running this without a service but really liking it on the wrist.

that is a nice watch user.

Stop replying to bait then you dumb fucking idiot and maybe they'll stop. Is this your first day on the internet?

Can someone help me with my watch?

it keeps accurate time and does not have to be wound every day, is there something horologically wrong with it?

Is the measure of a good watch being off by 5 or 10 seconds a day and needing constant winding, upkeep and adjustment?

Just don't.

What Seiko brand Seiko are you wearing right now?

There is something about /wt/ on Sup Forums that makes people say "fuck technology let's use mechanical finicky inaccurate movements no matter what and anyone who likes modern tech in watches is a fag"

not sure why that is but it's a fact- mechanical watches are the fedora of Sup Forums

>Is the measure of a good watch being off by 5 or 10 seconds a day and needing constant winding, upkeep and adjustment?
yes

I would never wear a seiko

you will probably only have to replace the crystal and bezel ring and case and dial and hands and movement and bracelet

then you will be good to go! check ebay for the parts

>I would never wear a seiko
what are you wearing right now user?

My watch. It's a Vostok Amfibia. Same design as military watches in the USSR. Waterproof to 200m and it can take a beating.

I love it, but it's pretty rough around the edges.

You should check out seiko instead, that vostock is basically a cheap seiko copy

>Is the measure of a good watch being off by 5 or 10 seconds a day and needing constant winding, upkeep and adjustment?
>yes

Why

because expensive and inaccurate = good on /wt/

Did anyone get anything on Black Friday? I got a Swatch Once Again to see if they are any good, plus I like the simple clean looks. It's comfy enough but weirdly has a non hacking quartz movement?
I also believe the Pope wears one of these sometimes if he's not wearing a Casio.

It's a completely different watch. They may have copied and simplified the internal clockwork, but there are also some unique and brilliant design innovations like the crown clutch and the waterproofing method.

its the shitposter man

I'm sure I read about internal plastic parts in those things.

Can I convert an SKX007 to quartz?

just throw that shitter away and get your vasectomy reversed instead

What is a nice quartz diver?

reddit.com/r/Watches/comments/77xivb/seiko_my_wife_got_me_a_post_vasectomy_gift/

wtf

> Non hacking quartz
Wild, I didn't know those existed.

That's the Sistem51 you're probably thinking of. This is a quartz like the original Swatch watches.
Here's the Pope wearing his, you can just make out the date magnifier. That's how you know it's his Swatch & not a Casio.

Crazy right?

I like analog watches, but they're shit.

Does a stylish digital watch exist? I know about the G Shock and would rather it didn't come to that.

>Does a stylish digital watch exist? I know about the G Shock and would rather it didn't come to that.
have you thought about a Seiko?

Got you famalam
Digital in general is quite childish 2bh.

That one's a bit ugly imo.

I wouln't call them childish, just all function and no form. But I guess boys are like that until they want to impress girls.

what watches did the Nazi officers wear?

how much would a good vintage Nazi watch cost?

something without a swastika so i can wear it to work

Just buy a dress watch from one of the 5 that supplied the Fliegers to them. Or a smaller flieger from them and have a Nazi airforce watch. I also doubt they would have a swastika on them anywhere, as much as watch companies are happy to supply them I doubt they would be willing to do that.

Would be messed if they wanted more kids

ITS ALL TRUE. MY GOD I AM DYING.

how can you tell if it has been oiled with the blood of concentration camp jews?

i would pay extra for that

How small is your wrist?

omg ryans cute little daily's a little 36mm omega from the 60s with a white face

just darling

>read in /wt/ and see on YouTube that I need a dress watch for formal events because wearing a diver all the time is bad
>watch James Bond film
>he wears a diver for everything
Hmm...

submariner type divers tastefully done are considered dress watches in the vast majority of the western world

>i got snipped and all i got was this shitty seiko

>done tastefully
It's literally on a NATO strap. I'm convinced that anything that isn't huge or a g shock or something can be worn everywhere.

he's a secret agent, you're not

>parents tell me killing is bad
>watch James Bond film
>he kills lots of people without a second thought
Hmm...

Killing isn't bad if it's for a good reason.

There is no occasion where a stainless rolex submariner would be out of place.

prove me wrong

James Bond looks cool in whatever in the same way that Ryan Gossling looks cool as hell in that silver scorpion jacket, but every guy from Sup Forums who bought one looks like a total jabroni.
He gets to wear a Rolex on a nasty looking undersized NATO BECAUSE he's James Bond (And also hiccups in getting the right stuff in time for the movie, and the fact that I'm pretty sure he swam to the event); anyone else trying to emulate him just looks like some sad LARPer from one of those Bond forums that buys everything Bond wears in an attempt to give themselves some sort of an image or personality.

give me ONE (1) reason why the sarb033 is bad

yeah, no, if your rich enough to buy a SM 300 you can wear it with whatever you want

Dress watches are amazing. Just feels nice to wear a thin comfy watch.

When I am wearing something like a dress casual shirt or a nice sweater a dive watch is so awkward under the cuff/sleeve. Feels and looks bulbous and uncomfortable compared to wearing a sleek dress piece.

Lume on a dress watch
Thick dress watch
Large diameter dress watch
There is three
inb4 it's not a dress watch

It is a dressy casual slightly sporty watch.

besides being a desperately boring soulless jap shitter with a machine assembles shit movement made by malaysian slave labor