How often do you buy a new laptop, Sup Forums?

How often do you buy a new laptop, Sup Forums?

When the old one breaks and it's not worth the repair cost.

This. I usually keep fixing my old laptop till the total of money spend on repairs is half the cost of the laptop. After that point, i just decide to buy a new one.

I end changing laptops like each 6 years

My average thus far is one every 6 years.

4-8 years is safe depending on how good the laptop was when you got it.

I bought a new one just a few weeks ago after having used my old one for almost seven years. The old one had great speakers, but a shitty screen for watching movies - reflective and very low contrast, i.e. no proper black. The new one has a much better screen and I fixed the shitty speakers by buying a standalone bluetooth speaker.

Oh, and it runs way way cooler too, which will be very pleasant in summer as I usually surf and watch movies on my laptop while laying on my bed, with the laptop on my chest.

Depends what I use it for. Personal laptop, every few years. Work laptops (as in I use to do work, not work-supplied) pretty much until they start to break or have too little RAM / HDD space etc.

Parents bought me a cheap notebook in 2007, still my only computer, it has no hardware acceleration for mp4 (like youtube), no OS supports the wifi anymore, the fan rattles

Surely you can run an older or patched linux kernel?

I use ethernet now

Bought a t420 three years ago, have no reason to replace it really

Will probably just keep using it until I break it which will be never

PC >>> 4 to 6 years or so, when the old one either breaks or gets too outdated to do common tasks
Mac >>> yearly or else you'll look like a lamer at Starbucks with your outdated Mac

But new laptops are not as good as the old laptops.

Huh?
Isn't this like uncomfy position to be in?
Also aren't you worried about the hdd?

Only bought one once in the early '00s. Now I just use older give away laptops. Most is done in a terminal anyway.

Until the old one fails in the most spectacular way possible. I got one recently and It lasted a good 6 years. It failed in a puff of magic smoke and kernel panicked too much after I fixed it.

I do not like laptops.

The only correct answer

Pic related is my laptop.(latitude D500)
I changed the CPU and ram 1.8ghz pentium M and 2 gb ram.
I am thinking of getting a thinkpad though.

It's still good. eGPU and external monitor. USB wifi dongle. Remove rattlesnake from fan.

jesus fucking christ dude please upgrade

Used Latitude, Thinkpad or Elitebook would be my suggestions if you want something that will last long enough to become as thoroughly obsolete as that D500, and get replaced because its technology is old rather than because it broke down.

It works amazingly well so why? There is no need to push it. The only bad thing about is the wifi card.
Thank you for the tip.

1)when the hardware becomes too obsolete for my required tasks
2)When the repair costs more than a "new" used laptop

This.
My old laptop (HP pavilion DV6) had two cores, one of those became faulty.
I could get it to work if I disable that core but doing anything with it was very slow.

I have a $300 laptop I bought around 4 years ago. Its running excruciatingly slow so I'm looking to upgrade. What laptop does Sup Forums recommend that isn't a Thinkpad?

I like the 320s IdeaPad but every review makes the screen sound like shit. The Dell XPS 13 with an i5 is really tempting but a bit too pricy. Ideally I'd go for a Surface Pro but them shits too expensive. Help me out pls

Every 5 years or so.

Latitude, Elitebook. Both are built like tanks and will last. They cost more than normal consumer grade shitheaps, but the usual way to go is buy it refurbished or used. If you need top of the line performance that badly you should probably be looking at desktops instead.

If you want cheap, get a refurbished business laptop. If you want quality, buy a new business laptop.

If you're on computers all day, getting a decent one is worth it, even if it is pricey. Just pick whatever appeals to you.

Whats a good tablet pc with windows for excel and university shit?

I literally don't have space for a desktop and even if I did, I need a laptop more since I'm a student (albeit close to graduation, I'll probably still need the laptop). Which is why I'm also looking for something slim and light, my old laptop is a huge 17 inch HP Pavilion that weights a ton and ended up being plugged in all the time because it's a pain in the ass to carry anywhere.

I don't want cheap, I also would like to keep it under $700. I've pretty much narrowed it down to those I mentioned in my previous post. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with those specific laptops so they could give me some feedback.

Maybe every 5 or 6 years. It mostly depends on how reliable, and repairable my laptop is.

first laptop an asus eeepc 701, still works, I still use it for programming.
second laptop, dell xps latitude 1645 died, prolly needs reballin, died in early 2014
third laptop is a lelnovo y410p that I imported from the states, still goes stronk, though quality is utter shit.
I don't think I'll ever touch anything else than thinkpad, elitebook or latitudes.
I am eyeing a w520 right now, but I won't buy a new one if the current doesn't shit itself.

>latitudes
precision, fuck latitudes.

Then get a laptop. Do you need i7 performance? No? Then get a used or refurb that will be reasonably priced but sturdy enough that it won't be falling to bits in a year.

Need more performance? You're either going to get a cheap shit that will break, or pay more for a sturdy one.

When I need one desu. But I do most of my work on a custom rig anyway. I did 3 years of college on a Chromebook (poorfag) got a good job, bought a MacBook Pro, and then a rig, and never looked back.

I love both of them

I don't my company buys them for me. New one every 3-4 years.

I usually upgrade with every new MacBook that’s not a spec bump

I had the 2009 mbp, then retina mbp in 2012 , recently got the touchbar one

I usually sold my old one 300~400 less that what I paid , so it’s like renting a machine for 100~125 a year

was given to me as a gift from my uncle when i was a sophomore in college for basic shit. so like.. 6 years ago? still runs great, i keep up with it pretty frequently. sometimes it gives me a scare but i always seem to sort it out. once this dies ill be in the build threads

So long as you don't have a super cheapass CPU or need a fancy GPU, performance has been fairly static since early Core series chips. You get increases with each generation, but only a few percent. The areas where they've improved greatly are integrated graphics, power consumption, and heat generation. So, a newer laptop might be better at playing high res videos, be thinner and lighter, and last longer on its battery, but it won't be that much more powerful.

The latest generation is upping the core count though, which will be significant but only for applications where it matters. 2-4 cores will still be plenty for general use for a long time.

GPUs are another story -- they're still improving by leaps and bounds. Upgrading a few years old GPU to the latest gives a boost almost as impressive as CPU upgrades in the 90s.

once every 5 macbook pro refreshes.

Currently own a 2015 MBPr 13" 16gb/256gb
I'm good for another 2 or 3 years.

When my old one breaks. Every 5-7 years it seems.

Every 5-8 years

I had my current lenovo for about 5 years now and its turning to shit

Core I3
Windows 7
I've dropped it many times, It runs fine
I have about 8gb memory on it
Problems started happening once I upgraded to win 10.....

I just bought a thinkpad btw

My last laptop was about 5-6 years old before I swapped it with this lenovo and its been years since I had a brand new laptop

First laptop in core I7 7th gen delivered soon, should be fun transferring most of my important files to the new laptop...

Didn;t get the SSD version either, not sure if fucked up but i dont need the SSD

I bought my last laptop in 2006. Suffice to say I don't really need a laptop.

For me, bought new (I had an off-lease Thinkpad before these):

>G4 iBook 12" (2004)
died from a spill
>Macbook 13" (2006)
died from multiple spills
>Macbook Pro Retina 13" (2012)
died for no reason within a year, unfixable under warranty, Apple replaced with...
>Macbook Pro Retina 13" (late 2013)
current laptop, still works perfectly feels brand-new still *except* no hardware h.265 decode, but I replaced the screen a bit over a year ago (backlight died randomly, Apple replacement cost a fortune, should have tried to fix), and the SSD died a month ago (replaced with used)

The first one that I got (Acer Aspire) was for Christmas of 2008, I believe. I had it until early 2011 when the BIOS went for a shit and it had to be replaced. The second one I got (Asus) shortly thereafter and it was fine until the hinges began cracking, I was told that it was unfixable and thus I was screwed since I need to be mobile. I got my current laptop (HP Pavilion) shortly after that around this time in 2014 and it's still going well (knock on wood) except that I'll likely have to put a new hard drive in next year as my current one isn't in great shape.

Look at importing a Xiaomi Air, see: /csg/

>spill
>spills
You should really consider a Thinkpad. If you dump water in the keyboard it flows through drain holes and into your lap.

>2012
>unfixable
Bad GPU most likely. There was a run of GPUs back then that just shit themselves from the heat after a while, due to either bad solder balls or bonding wires inside, depending who you listen to.

Lucky Apple replaced it for you -- a friend of a friend gave me one that Apple refused to fix under warranty. It's an i7 and crashes on boot, but if I remove the GPU drivers in single user, it boots and runs on integrated only but runs like shit. Tried installing Windows, but they cleverly made Bootcamp disable integrated before booting it.

5-6 years seems to be ideal. But mine is from 2010.
Gonna pick up a New Raven Ridge, as soon as a decent, non gimmick model rolls out

Every 2 years since my laptops break in 2-3 years

iBook died from a giant can of Jolt cola leaking in a backpack.

I had a bad habbit of balancing drinks on the palm-rest of that C2D Macbook Had at least a half dozen major spills, mostly beer and makgoli (sticky Korean booze). I managed in each case but the last to revive it by taking it apart and washing the motherboard).

Dead first-gen Retina was a huge PITA because I took it to a "certified" repair place where all Apple allows them to do is "fix" stuff even if it's proving impossible. They had it for a month and a half, ended up replacing *EVERY* component, and then started replacing them all *AGAIN* just in case some replacement part was DOA. They literally aren't allowed to give up and authorize a replacement with a new system, I had to physically collect it from the repair place and take it to an Apple store for that to happen (an hour of driving one way, then two hours another, than an hour home). Absolutely ridiculous rigamarole, but they gave me a high-spec newer model for my trouble.

...first gen Retina was also a piece of shit, ran HOT AS FUCK and lagged like crazy. It clearly couldn't keep up with the display. The second gen (late 2013+) is en enormous improvement: despite going from two fans to one it runs much much cooler and has no trouble with UI lag. I'd take the second gen over the latest USB-C ones because it actually has IO (and magsafe).

until the old one is unusable

First one lasted 6 years. This one is past 6 years and sitll going strong (with some repairs). Feelsgoodman.

every other month

my xps 13 is better than my old single core "Tara" laptop

every 5-7 years

Never. Still using the T60 I was given in engineering school. Still runs both Windows and Linux like a dream. If it ever dies I'll only own a smartphone. All my work gets done on a desktop workstation in the office.

macfag here but I think the chinkpad is for you
if you are literally spilling shit on the laptop you really don't want a macbook, my sisters died from water tipping over on the table

Once a lifetime. Everybody who's buying more is a slave to capitalism and the botnet. Take the redpill, free yourself from surveillance AND slavery. Your brother are waiting for you.

I haven't owned a laptop since ~2008. Not counting work laptop which is forced on me. I use my LG G3 anytime I'm on the go.

I'm impressed how you are able to find errors in your cpu. And I'm more impressed that there are people who are able to treat their laptop that badly that the cpu takes damage.

Seriously, how much would it cost Apple to spray that water-repellent stuff all over the board? 10 cents?

I just got a chromebook and threw Gallium on it a few years back. Who needs a powerful machine on the go?

Bought my current ux32ln back in 2014. It's doing good except for the screen hinge breaking off from the motherboard making the screen all wobbly. I ended up hammering a couple nails through the chassis to make the screen a bit more sturdy. It's not pretty, but it works.

Dropped the bloated win 8 for elementary os a year or so ago, battery been better ever since, and its a fucking laptop so I only use it for web browsing and light work for university. Honestly who needs a powerful laptop anymore?

I've had several from work, but never owned my own. Having a personal laptop seems redundant. I only need the hardware if I'm doing work, otherwise browsing is just as easy on my phone.

I keep a tower around just in case.

My current trend seems to be every 4-5 years for every new, "real" purchase, but interspersed with various cheaper machines.

First laptop was just after Vista came out. Used that for maybe 5 years until it got stolen. During that time and for a few years after fell for the netbook meme.

Second laptop was just after Windows 8 came out (I have awesome timing,) and used that until this spring when it crapped out. But in the past year fell for the Thinkpad meme and picked up some 6 year old machines that are filling in the void that laptop left.

Whenever this one dies or becomes unusable. I'm using a 2011 14" Latitude with a 900p display and I've upgraded it to 8GB memory and a solid state, and it rarely leaves my house, so the answer to your question is probably never.

m8
I work for an HP reseller and we just had to replace an i5-7500 in a system we installed a few months ago. Fucker failed three months in, first time I've ever seen a CPU just up and fail without OC or other mistreatment but it happens.

Nothing wrong with Latitudes if you're just doing basic web browsing and shitt.

Oh, and I also replaced the horribly shitty wireless adapter that came with it with an Intel adapter that supports 802.11ac recently.

when they break, and damage is terminal.
2011 summer got my first ever laptop, used it until 2015 jan. it died (was a mac, logic board fucked up), went through a few cheap ass laptops. an asus, lenovo and an hp. the hp died when its screen cracked, went back to the asus.

then in aug 2016 i got my current macbook pro and ive been using it since, prob wont change this until college ends.

I keep upgrading the one I have. So.... it's been about 10 years.

I somehow managed to luckily inherit a new shitty laptop every couple years.
Grandmother's old compaq, used for year and a half til screen started dying.
Grandma's new old laptop cause she was gonna throw it away cause it was full of malware slowed down and uncle already got her a new one. Fixed and used.
Used for year til it started overheating from a dead fan, could use an hour or so before it'd die. Used through first half of college.
Great aunt passed away, got her basically new HP she bought for like $300 new.
Used it for 2 years til it died suddenly.
Rich Aunt & Uncle felt bad when I asked if I could buy his old toshiba from like 2008 (this is in 2014) cause I needed it for assignments. Gave me christmas gift of a early 2014 retina macbook. 13" 8gb 256gb HDD.

It got me through college and still is running just as fast today. I love it. I dont really like OSX a bunch but it has been an awesome computer and still is. I don't credit apple with being better than everything else though. I mean it's a $1300 laptop vs the $100-300 laptops I was using.

Now I also have a thinkpad t540p that I use a bunch for my windows specific stuff.

I'll only upgrade if shit ever starts really slowing down. So probably every 5 years or so I'm guessing.

I wish I had a Rich Uncle Macbook.

Are you my ex gf by any chance?

My work buys me one of everything i ask for so i haven't bought a laptop since 2004.

I am the only person on Sup Forums with an actual informed opinion about consumer electronics, now worship me.

I bought my current laptop (a rMBP) in 2015. The laptop before that (also Macbook Pro) was bought sometime in 2010. It was just the SSD in the old one that broke, but I had some money saved and Apple was about to raise prices because of weak EUR, so I thought whatever.

It's pretty noticeable however that lifetimes are getting longer. I barely realize that this machine is soon three years old. Ten years ago things were moving much faster, pretty comfortable times we live in.

$100-300 laptops:
>"screen started dying"
>"full of malware slowed down"
>"overheating from a dead fan"
>"died suddenly"

And the $1300 macbook?

>It's pretty noticeable however that lifetimes are getting longer. I barely realize that this machine is soon three years old. Ten years ago things were moving much faster, pretty comfortable times we live in.

Yup. This is also why $300 laptops are also tolerable now (Chromebooks, etc.), whereas cheap laptops used to be GARBAGE.

before i bought my latest laptop, the hinge had broken and i was holding the display up by wrapping a dead microphone wire around and under the body then over the screen
and that was still my laptop setup for a good 4 years

so i don't buy new laptops very often at all

once every 5/6 years

what's a laptop?

it's a sex toy

did you not read?

I still have and use the first laptop that I bought back in 2006/2007. Just changed the os hdd and ram.

You seem to want to discredit the worth of the Macbook. But it seems for ultimately about the same (original msrp) price, you went through several cheap laptops. And that's before considering other things like downtime from having to migrate data, or putting up with developing hardware failures.

If you don't break them, Macbooks are worth the price (see: everyone in this thread who owns them). If you think about it, it's $200-300 a year to own a really nice computer, something you're using every day perhaps for hours.

True. If you take care of any piece of equipment it will last you for a good long while.

About every 2-3 years.

Never. They're an ergonomic nightmare. I absolutely refuse to use the things.

I'm laying in bed right now. How isn't that ergonomic af?

3-5 years seems appropriate if I find myself needed the extra power

laying how?

When you aren't in your office, they are much more ergonomic than a desktop computer, guaranteed.

1) Buy laptop, use it until for years it runs into the ground.

2) Buy new laptop every year or so, sell old one to subsidize purchase.

what kind of loser can't be without a full computer for a few hours?

4/5 years

only ever owned like 3