What's the best free Office/Word alternative?

What's the best free Office/Word alternative?

Other urls found in this thread:

wps.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Libre office now fuck off and die you god damn retard

Google Docs.

latex

Is 'die you god damn retard' what all the tech hipsters use today? I've never heard of it.

freeoffice has good compativility to office docx and related documents

If you wanna get work done in a corporate environment, nothing

lol just pirate it

LibreOffice

>Wanting to disrespect your freedom this badly

LibbieOffice

>please put the handcuffs on me

>he lives in the land of the """"""""""free""""""""""

Vim + pandoc

What does that have to do with you placing the handcuffs of proprietary software on yourself?

unironically

>iwork

HAHAHAHA! iWork is a piece of trash! Even the applefags prefer to use Office.

How's pages vs word? Asking as someone who writes for a living.

Windows Word > Pages > OS X Word

Have you tried open office or libre office? There is also another one I heard about that has very high compatibility with microsoft file types but I cant remember what it's called.

there is none. You have to choose between
Best or Free.
If school/work use or require Word. You best option is to also use Word. If you can use anything else then the free options are.
-Google Docs
-LibreOffice
-openOffice
-AbiWord

wps.com

LibreOffice/OpenOffice
If you write everyday like me, you might be better off learning TeX/LaTeX. Word processors are kind of shitty.

>If school/work use or require Word. You best option is to also use Word. If you can use anything else then the free options are.
I can't think of anything that Word can do over LibreOffice that makes a real difference in the world of productivity.

None.

One day a client will send you a file that has been made via Word or Excel, and if you edit it with something else, it will fuck up the format.

There is none. Go to piratebay and download the 2010 version.

/thread

maybe not Word, but Excel > Calc, that's for sure

I wish. All publishers require getting a Word document made with a template. The post-processing of a large non-Word template and copying over every single footnote is so painful I'd rather write in Word directly.
Sucks being in law.

Libre I think.

Word is better for composing, but Pages is better for layout / printing.

>2010 version
>literally 7+1 years old
Holy shit the absolute state of microcuck fags

give me da sauce man

Only office, at least from what I've looked up.

You are either so used to Office that you can't use anything else or you're just memeing, because iWork has been better than Office for years now. Keynote always was and still is better than PowerPoint. Numbers has gotten way better than Excel. Pages is just up to par with Word. The reason normie Mac users use Office is because they don't know that iWork exists (and is free), they know Office from Windows, so that's easy for them, as well as a lot of places bundle/push Office with each new Mac purchase.

The 2013/2017 version is fucking shit and hybrid with Office 365 and shit.

The best office suite is 2010. 2003 for nazis.

Vim

There isn't any that offers actual feature compatibility. I bit the bullet and bought Microsoft Word a while ago because there just wasn't any other option that would work reliably. If you still have an old .edu email account from college you can get a discount.

wrong

Onlyoffice

I use Libre

These
Word is dogshit but who cares how old it is it's a fucking word processor

baka Word 2000 was the best

This is the correct answer

Isn't that literally the same program as libre but with different logo?

Focuswriter

I like to separate the composing and formatting phases.

they rigged their mascot contest. who knows what else they rigged....

MS Office is and always has been better on Mac than Windows (iirc it's also existed longer for Mac, weirdly enough).

Okay.
While some places allow for word documents, most circles I know want a PDF.
They usually name the latex template they want so everything looks similar.

Do they actually hand in .docx files or does it just have to look a certain way?
All legal documents I have received were in pdf, so I don't know why you need word.

It's fucking trash on Macs dude. It existed longer on Macs because Apple hired Microsoft to make them an office suit for their fancy new GUI

School and work are different things, though. For school libreoffice is just fine and it's probably your computer it'll be running on and nobody's paying you for your time.

For office use.. don't bother choosing, your organization or boss did that already so just go with Word or whatever instead of being that one silly guy wasting everyone's time arguing about what software to use. You'll get paid by the hour regardless.

Pages

>The 2013/2017 version is fucking shit and hybrid with Office 365 and shit
Only for the cheap versions.

You can still get normal office 2016 professional suites with no recurring office 365 subscription BS. The licences are just expensive unless you're getting them discounted. Full price is around $800 per license

*Inhales*
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Hahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahaa

Actually believing this. Get out in the wonderful world of business and be prepared to be bullied to death.

Never worked on a group project, eh?

l'autism

Pirated office

Free as in beer: Google Docs/Sheets/Slides
Free as in freedom: LibreOffice

WPS Office has better compatibility, but LibreOffice is better in general (and it's open source).

Unironically org mode for Emacs. It's the best thing to have ever happened in modern computing.

Emacs

It may take some getting use to, but once you know how to use it ... You have the power!

My mother switched from 2000 to 365 just fine last year.
But it's not like her workflow is very difficult.

Definitely LibreOffice.

MS Office is pretty good, but overhyped as "muh enterprise software." There's literally nothing that you need it for that LibreOffice can't do, unless you have some bizarre use case that requires a MS Office exclusive feature that most people don't use anyways.

As I said, MS Office is pretty good, but way more than most people need when you can get LibreOffice for free without pirating.

Open office and save it to pdf for the print/share

You make a live account and you have a light version of Word online, free

It's for business use in my case. I wiped that Windows 10 Enterprise shitstain from my workplace computer and installed Arch. Finally I can work the way I am used to. But I suppose I have to set up a VM now since MS Office is sort of requieresd due to compatibility reasons.

Nothing.
And office isn't even great itself.

There is currently no good document/spreadsheet program on the market.

I bet that thing has a penis.

ed

Libbie should have won.

none

office suites are a broken paradigm. you only use one because you were dumb enough to use one in the first place, and can't migrate your data to something else at this point.

you use the one that is compatible with your data, which is the one you used for the longest time, or the one your employer/educator has been using for the longest time, or you don't use one at all because they're hot garbage and standalone programs are better and easier to automate.

LibreOffice
GNU Emacs
nano

WPS, LaTeX or LibreOffice.

If you worked at my office I'd reprimand you for fucking with company property

I forgot about that contest. Reading the comments on their site, what a fuck up
Open source can never do anything right

#imwithher

Word-like: LibreOffice Writer
Better than Word and anything else: LaTeX

As I said in other thread, you can easily go into LaTeX using LyX, that offers a very user-friendly GUI.

I love LaTeX, but it can become a real pain when you want/need a custom layout/style.

The required time investment isn't worth the little need average users have for a word processor.

/thread

>can't put page number in bibliography citations

True, but that's when you really start to learn. The good thing about LaTeX is that the community is very active and helpful, and there are many layouts that you can use as models to base your first custom designs, not to mention the many available classes filled with new possibilities and very complete manuals, like memoir.

Bump

whats optimal choice on android?

Go use a PC.

i get the sarcasm, but after working for three years in an office (now neet), that kind of corporate-speak really rustles my jimmies. it's only missing some buzzwords and "fwd: fyi" stuff.

damn

>not mentioning corn flower blue as a variety
fucking plebean tier middle management

Kile

The 2003 one

>Ctrl+f "Kingsoft"
>zero results
/csg/ would be disappointed.

Nevermind, 3 mentions of WPS. Go about your business.