I should have gone the powerline master race years ago. Fuck wifi

I should have gone the powerline master race years ago. Fuck wifi

run some cable like you're not a worthless faggot

I live in an old house that was expanded back in the early 1900s. So the separators between rooms are solid wood and I'm not drilling through that to run some ethernet.

>Sub-100Mbps speeds on fucking everything on the LAN

Glad it works for your use case, but you paid for adapters that give you 10% the speed of basic networking equipment that has existed for over two decades now.

>solid wood
i hear that's hard to drill lol

even wireless n has much better throughput than that graph, let alone ac. but yeah, wifi is semi shit still. most people aren't exactly transmitting large swaths of data over their networks though.

>Living in a dwelling built prior to 2010
You're a fucking idiot.

I can never see a difference on speedtests I do personally. The router is about 3 meters away from me, passing through one concrete wall and one wood.

But I get stable 150Mbps+ over WiFi...

i hear your moms hard to drill

Powerline fucking sucks cock if your wiring sucks cock.

2010 mobile home and I can't use powerline because 3 times a day the adapter freezes the connection until i power cycle the adapter.

Could only manage 20mb/s also. Meanwhile AC1750 will transfer 4x this.

i get like 300 mbs on mine, gets the job done

>802.11g
Wew.

Don't you hate it when no one in this thread knows how to read charts properly?

I tried powerline and it sucked because my electricity loop is shit.

I hear your mom's easy to drill

>wireless g

What year is this? 2005? ac with beamforming is many, many times better.

>drilling walls just for ethernet

I drilled through wood to run ethernet through the basement ceiling. It's a one-time thing, so even if it's hard, why does it matter? I believe in you.

I'm running powerline in a 1950s era house with no problems. Download speeds have increased from 0-2MB/s to about 7-8MB/s or so. Ethernet would probably still be a bit better but it's still a big improvement. Wifi used to drop out all the time, now there's no downtime. I did have some concerns as I have several switched mode power supplies on part of the loop where the internet will run through which tend to be electrically noisy. I was worried about signal integrity but so far it seems to be a non-issue.

One thing I will say is the house is small. Even with the old wiring the signal doesn't have to go far. Runs from the living room down to the distribution board in the basement and up to my room. Might not even have to travel 50ft. In a larger house there may be more problems.

My brother just moved into an apartment and got himself some adsl internet set up for his phone, which has to be a WiFi connection be a use it's a phone. He says it's really slow. He gets 2mb/s it's really sad because I have 180mb/s at my place. Maybe someone is stealing his internet.

Power line is great, I have had mine for a year or so, hasn't failed once. I would assume you need a clean electricity installation for it to work well.

>powerline
It's a good solution if you can't run cables, that's for sure. And it's better than wifi and also a good way to connect to wifi APs in a big old house.

But.. do be aware that it's basically a form of wifi you're (ab)using. You can think of it as radio signals travelling over the copper wires. It does generate quite a lot of interference. And it's also real easy to pick up and monitor if you don't use encryption.

>wireless n has much better throughput
That depends, powerline makes it easy to connect two APs in different parts of a house and things like that. If there's no wireless signal then the throughput is zero.

So are your mains cables duct taped around the holes or somehting? Ditto for plumbing.

>*teleports behind you*
>*turns on a 3kW kettle*
pssh... nothing personnell

this is bait