Thoughts on Perl?

Thoughts on Perl?

Anyone?

I am a brainlet so the syntax hurts

Used to be the glue that held the internet together, still useful because it's on every nix system

t. rubyfag

>Thoughts on Perl?
It exists. I don't really see why anyone would want to use it.

its the only language with a workable latin translation so its automatically the patrician coders choice

I dont think about it at alla now that python/ruby is around

Used it a lot at work for years working with legacy systems. Then we ported it over to a combination of ruby and Lua. Get with the times.

The memes about easy comfy perl dev jobs because not many people know it arnt true. I'm currently looking for a job and I have many years of perl experience.

It's good

It's a lovecraftian language turned into a programming language and will turn even the most rational people completely insane

slow

if brainfuck was actually used in production

Absolute dogshit.

I have to use Perl code written in the 90s that was edited over and over. I've become way better at reading it than I ever wanted to be.

Perl proved to me that languages need to enforce a readable coding style, and that infinite choice is bad. There should be a small number of ways to do things or your code will be hard to read.

And why the fuck do I have to explicitly pass references to arrays? Why do I have to manually unpack the parameters passed to a subroutine?

Fuck *anybody* that frequently relies on $_, your unreadable shit code is gonna break if someone adds an unrelated line of code above it, fuuuuuuuuuck yooooou!

Perl does a shit job of basic things like sending system commands and retrieving file lists. I had to write my own module to separate out stdout, stderr, and the retcode into returnable elements!

I can't go on like this....

Perl is pretty cool t.b.h., famalampai.

Don't listen to the naysayers, try it yourself and you'll have a lot of fun.
Python, Ruby and Perl are absolutely equal in terms of what you can do with them, each of tham has been battle tested more than enough. (Let's ignore Lua, their retrded little brother for one moment).

So it's first and foremost a matter of personal preference.

Ruby and Perl Syntax are very similar.

Perl 5 was amazing in its heyday. CPAN provided a huge breadth of libraries and there were tons of great examples to learn from online.

That said, it was very easy to write server code with it that was buggy and insecure. Still a great choice for munging data and building your own tools, though.

>Perl 5
uncompartable useless sh-t

Still great. I never used bash again.

For bigger systems, perl6 is much better, though.

>Perl 6
uncompartable useless sh-t
>Perl 5
it is real perl

>perl6
is sabotage

Perl sounds more fun than python or java so far, I think I might use perl for everything web scripting and bash for everything system scripting

I still can't believe Perl pulled off a Python. Did they learn anything..?

The good thing is, Perl is already in every Linux distro.
Just open the command line and get cracking..

I learned Ruby before Perl and I always believed the "Perl: write one, read never again" meme.
But if you adhear some coding principles and don't try to do put all your programs into one-liners (which is arguably a lot of fun..), then you'll be fine. Perl syntax is great, that why Ruby stol.. ehm, borrowed it's syntax.

One thing neat about perl is how it follows the unix philosophy of do one thing and do it well and it's perfect to quickly make a script that works.

just use PASCAL style

6 is a cool language but little ecosystem as of now and most libraries are very far from production ready. No opinion on 5

Perl 6 fixes most of these

not, Perl 6 is sabotage

5>6

This should be mandatory instead of python, fuck that language Perl is better and much more feature filled.

python - JEWish biat

*put Perl code into your company codebase*
Just a prank, bro.

Perl - at least its better than bash with sed and awk.

Perl - the best langiage
if you not care TO_MACH about speed
C#
C
all other lagiades is JEWish biat

Its a shit load of fuck.

Only autistic fags use anything other than Java, C# and JavaScript.

Perl is fine as long as you stay away from the perl monk assholes who jerk off over "idiomatic perl" all day.

if someone writes unreadable Perl that's because they're a bad programmer

Garbage.

Use a language that actually has a market

>Use a language that actually has a market
>market
slave market

I use it all the time to script stuff for me. Nowadays I use Python or C++ for anything that doesn't fit in a single file.