Embrace it

Other urls found in this thread:

statuscode.ch/2017/11/from-markdown-to-rce-in-atom/
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/22900
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_memory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is it? Google is the devil. Yes?

nah

Then explain what problem it solves you couldn't solve with a real programming language and a toolkit.

cross platform GUI, no QT is proper alternative.

>100mb hello world app
i think electron is great for lazy fucks, or if you want to make gui app super quick for personal use, but unless you are working on some professional product, electron sucks

>a full-blown web browser for "native" applications
gas all web devs

>but unless you are working on some professional product, electron sucks
slack, whatsup, atom, visual studio code, discord

finally XSS on the desktop

statuscode.ch/2017/11/from-markdown-to-rce-in-atom/

???
that's what i said why you even quoting?

Too bad you probably right. Dark Ages of Technology are ahead.

I think it would be just fine if it would be used as a systemwide library. This way it wouldn't even take a lot of ram and startup of program's would be superfast.

The problem really is that every program comes with it's own version of it

flash
for
the
desktop

Yes future. One program take more memory than fucking windows xp.

It's still going to be a chromium tab and a Node.js server. There's no way to make this incredibly bloated infrastructure lightweight.

>skypeforlinux - memory usage: 450MiB
Electron is a sick joke

kek

Doesn't really matter when all your applications are cloud hosted and multi-tenanted

>that one guy who uses the shitty new skype beta and forces you to use it too since it's incompatible with the old Qt client

All bloated asf

None of my applications are cloud hosted and this one is eating up my RAM for no reason
Actually I used the old client as long as it worked, but MS intentionally broke it recently and forced me to install this abomination.
The old one was also fun:
>colleague sends you file over skype
>MS deactivates your account for suspicious activity

theres two things i like about electron. a cross platform ui that will always look the same and perform the same. and that you can write C rather than javascript to use it. its the best feature really.

I don't love Electron, but "it uses 500 MB of extra memory" is not a super compelling criticism given how cheap and plentiful memory is.

Except it isn't for old peeps (memepadders) and 3rd worlder
Future-wise it does seem to be viable tho

It's not just RAM:
github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/22900

It's extremely inefficient in every way.

When people use laptops with 128gb ssd where base windows takes 30gb and overwatch some room, there's not much left for applications.

microsoft uses their own fork for vscode. also that particular rendering issue was due to a bug on OSX where frames would be rendered needlessly often despite only updating something like twice a second.
vsode is actually one of the more optimized pieces of software that came out of electron.
the actual electron software is horrendous though. take slack as an example. it runs like utter shit to the degree where my workplace has actually stopped using it.

Most modern software doesn't run well on machines that people can afford in the 3rd world, I don't think that's a good criticism of Electron. Performance on the target platform(s) is what matters, you can find a scenario where any piece of software under the sun performs poorly if you constrain the hardware enough.

This is a bug, not an architectural inefficiency. Moreover, Electron is not intended for highly performance intensive scenarios in the first place - you shouldn't use JS to crunch numbers but that isn't a good criticism of it.

Memory in this context is referring to RAM, not disk space which is even less of a concern. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_memory

Webdevs on suicide watch.

I want Electron to be good. But by the time that happens, all the ADHDers will have found a new shiny thing.

Feel free to explain how you think this is a rebuttal.

>3d world
Most people do use weak machines.
Cheap laptop with APUs, old machines, mobile devices, etc..

Few people feel like upgrading their machine to do the same exact shit they've always done. I can run trusty old bloated VS6 on shit Electron can only dream of.
And for what? So web devs can use the same shitty stack they're used to?

That way you can easily write applications that will look out of place on every platform.

Is there anything worse for cross-platform applications?

Even .net is better.
Even JavaFX is better.
Even Python+QT/whatever is better.
All use less resources, are more stable, have better integration, and are nicer to develop for.
There's absolutely no advantage to electron whatsoever.

The only reason to ever use it is if you have a web application that already uses node.js and you want to make a lazy desktop app out of it.

All bloated and slower than their competition.

Now if only ST could compete in UX/DX with VS Code...

>mfw you have to use arcane sorcery to install an extension to install extensions

botnet, botnet, botnet, botnet, botnet

>memory
>cheap
When was the last time you bought memory? Shit is expensive as fuck.

Fuck off. Electron is hipster nu-web development cancer.

t. Actual front-end programmer.

>t. Actual front-end programmer.

How's Google Web Toolkit treating you

>moving the goalposts
>implying you need Electron to make a good UI
kys

>>implying you need Electron to make a good UI
No I'm just saying ST has shit UX, I'll sacrifice some ram on my souped up dev machine willingly.

but... it's gay though
the GUI is literally gay

not gonna lie visual studio code is really great for what it does. its an ide without all the bloat that visual studio comes with. it has all the minimum features that i need
>intellisense that can be extended by plugins
>source/version control integrated right out of the box
>a universal debugger that can also be extended
>has keybindings you can completely customize
>multi cursor support like in sublime text
>settings are all text based and work on overriding base settings

vsc is really just a lightweight IDE rather than a text editor like lets say sublime text or nano.
i think its too much to expect it to be as lightweight as them with all the stuff it can do.

What? You can buy 16 GB of RAM for 120 bucks on Amazon, with no special sales/deals. If you're patient it can be had for even less.