Hi Sup Forums

hi Sup Forums

im trying to repair my laptop, the charger shorts itself out whenever i plug it into the laptop itself. so does any other dell charger. i also checked the charger with a multimeter and im getting a steady 20v, so i know it isnt the OEM charger that is the issue.

i think i have narrowed it down maybe to these two SMD components. however, does it look like they may be the issue? bad solder joints? do they need replaced? how do i find out what kind of caps they are?

thanks!

Not your tech support.
Also:
Sup Forums can't into electronics. Too retarded. Ask anything homosexual and consumerism related.

Can't your multimeter into ESR?

no its a cheap ass multimeter :+(

do the solder joints look shit? could that be a problem?

Try continuity testing those things.
If it's a short, you will get a beep, if not, i think the cap will stop the test for a while, but not entirely sure.

fucking nice, there was a beep, on both. thanks, user! so at this point, do i need to order new caps? if so, how the hell do i find out what they are to get some?

if not, do i just reflow, and all is good?

did you try soldering it yourself and fucked it up?

You will have to discover what the fuck are those.
You can't just "slap a cap with american bonds".

no, the laptop just wouldnt turn on anymore. whenever i plugged the charger into the DC jack, the charger would turn itself off, so i figured there was a short on the motherboard. after doing some looking, i came across the caps, the solder around them chipped away like nothing. i havent tried resoldering anything yet.

how? will a schematic tell me? there's no numbers on the caps, and in boardview they are only labeled as "FL1" and "FL2"

What the fuck are you talking about a "short causes a beep" therefore they need to be replaced? That's perfectly normal and expected, stop spouting bullshit. OP if you can't use a multimeter or know what continuity is you have no business trying to desolder and resolder SMD components. How did you "narrow it down" to two random capacitors again? You can't tell anything from the image and can you define what the charger "shorting out" even means?

tl;dr buy a fucking charger from eBay and stop making shit threads.

PLEASE literally do not attempt to do anything to those components or you will 100% ruin your laptop eternally, just buy another charger first before you dick around with things you have no knowledge of.

schematic for reference of both caps

i mean if you are 'shorting out' chargers you should just buy a new laptop cuz it could be anything. if i had to guess, capacitor electrolyte or other water damage

like honestly it's not worth fucking with at this point since you can't do in-circuit testing and a bench PSU for testing components will cost more than a motherboard

how?

CN11 is the charging port on this laptop, with pins 6, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16 all designated to +DCIN_JACK

both of the caps I posted are connected to the DCIN_JACK

if those of those caps arent functioning the way they are supposed to, would that not cause a ground with my charger?

You sure think you know you know what you're doing with all these schematics and gloating so go ahead and do it, they are 0805s if you must know. Buy a pair of tweezers first

thems not caps. they are inductors.

sorry user, not trying to come off as gloating bud

was just asking a question. i dont really know much about any of this, but to me, that made sense.

Those are not caps and your multimeter is supposed to beep on them.
>if those of those caps arent functioning the way they are supposed to, would that not cause a ground with my charger?
No.

Don't fuck with things you don't understand.

>I've narrowed it down
How?
They look just fine to me. Someone has scraped the ends with sharp instruments but I think that's just careless application of probes (probably from you, which definitively excludes it as an original problem).
Also images like these might be useful for you OP.
If you want to do this look for visible damage like corrosion or a hole in a mosfet. Anything that's clearly off.
You could post a more complete image if you want help from here.
I don't blame you for wanting to learn but it certainly seems you've jumped in at the deep end, relatively.

thanks!

as for a more complete image, i can try to piece something together with macro shots, because on its own, i think everything would be too tiny to be able to see any damage or anything

if anything is shorting, its probably the jack. btw, how do you know its shorting? smoke?

no, there's a light ring around the tip of the charging cable. when i plug it into the laptop, that light turns off. when i plug this charger into another dell laptop it does not do that. when i plug another dell charger into this laptop, that charger turns off too.

It is likely to be the jack, double check what is on the jack pins to the mobo.
Since you suspect shorting you gotta be quick, as soon as you see the voltage drop fast, disconnect the charger.

All of your info points to the same problem, but doesn't narrow down the cause. Somewhere in the system, there's a short. This caused the solder on the inductors to heat cycle and degrade. This caused the Jack to Arc and burn it's contact. This causes the adapter to trip into over current protection (turn off).

Somewhere a component has failed, or a trace is damaged. If the cause is the inductor's solder, you'll be able to tell if the component itself (the contact on the inductor) and the trace it's supposed to be connected to show a non-zero resistance on the multimeter.

If the issue is bad enough to Arc the connector, there's something more obviously wrong than some flakey solder. Look for burned/cut connections or a deformed/blackened component