The Sup Forumsternet project

### Sup Forumsternet - We really need a name edition ###

Mark yourself on the map with your contact info (can be a cock.li throwaway if you don't want to dox yourself)
zeemaps.com/map?group=2787145

IRC (SSL): irc.jollo.org:9999 #gternet
Wiki: mesh.gentoo.today
Pastebin: paste(.)ee/p/0AQU4
Last thread: What is Sup Forumsternet?
Sup Forumsternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, powered by something like ipfs.
Similar things have already been done: businessinsider.com/cuban-youth-built-a-secret-internet-network-2015-1

This project is less than a week old, so we need all the expertise and help we can get.
Every contribution is valuable!
Gather a group of friends and join the IRC and wiki.

To do:
- [s]decide on standards for software[/s] We are most likely using Freifunk w/ b.a.t.m.a.n.
- decide on standards for hardware
- create resources for newbies on the wiki
- gather more people
- start building the physical network

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.ninux.org/2017/09/16/ninux-and-ammbr/
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Preservation_of_Internet_content
github.com/Agorise/c-ipfs
github.com/ipfs/distributed-wikipedia-mirror
discuss.ipfs.io/t/questions-about-how-work-ipns-and-iprs/1022/2
youtube.com/watch?v=TbWddyZ_MNI
altheamesh.com/
web.archive.org/web/20161031024656/https://github.com/ipfs/examples/blob/master/examples/ipns/readme.md
my.mixtape.moe/ovtenc.svg
my.mixtape.moe/adwglj.png
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/IPFS
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Category:Marketing
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything interesting being discussed in IRC? Haven't been there for a few days.

Where we are up till now;
- We have a simple UI for a headless server
- We’re deciding on what to use to transmit the data. Some anons suggest lasers, others radio, and others things such as WiFi.
- As for the hardware, it doesn’t really meatter what you use, it’ll just need to be capable of receiveong and possible transmittting data. The Ubiquiti LiteBeam AC seems pretty good.
- We’re still not 100% sure on the name.

If you’re interested do mark yourself on the map and maybe you can contribute code. Thanks!

The user number has increased, we have about 30-40 people connected. It’s mostly people suggesting stuff to use and discussing what hardware to use and/or what protocol/software.

does every "unwired" user need to use the Ubiquiti LiteBeam AC?

We need a cute mascot. This will probably the most important part of the project.

Repost for major visibility:
While lurking on ninux, i found this article aout project AMMBR: blog.ninux.org/2017/09/16/ninux-and-ammbr/

Since it should be open hardware&software, what's Sup Forums opinion on this (especially on the router) ?

You don’t have to use a Ubiquiti anteanna, it can be any antenna you want. Also, it doesn’t need to be able to transmit, if you’re not uploading anything. Just receiving would be fine as well then. But just wait, maybe Sup Forums decided to change everything suddenly.

Contributing mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Preservation_of_Internet_content

>unwired
We all are.

I was calling by the name

>daiku
>nu

Who here actually has IPFS installed? Post screenshots.

why?

How will you guys stop the FBI from spying on your network? What happens when someone else decides to share illegal stuff to someone else on the network and those packets containing illegal stuff are routed through your part of the network? Will the FBI be able to arrest you then?

Are you implying this internet is more safe?
Are you implying Sup Forumsternet is by default illegal?
Are you implying Sup Forumsternet isn't harder for censorship?

killing the FBI

if nothing better comes along, this should be the testing ground

I don't think I was implying any of those things. I was just curious. I just wanted to know what would happen if some members of the network tried to use it for illegal activity. Would users who were not engaging in that activity directly get in trouble for facilitating that activity by being a part of the network infrastructure?

Gimme some good resources

Maybe we can encrypt all traffic so the FBI just sees content but cannot take much action against it. Much like Tor. Unless you’re a faggot and don’t know how to stay secure.

DMC might give us protection in this area. If everything is encrypted, nobody can see it but A and B.

That's a no-brainer, even OP's pic supports it.

Damn it, lost my picture.

>Wants to start there because that's where he lives.
Nice try, user

i'm from fucking yrop you moron, that just is the area with the highest density and more than two anons
go on, look at the map and show me a better area

Sorry if end up bringing politics into this but if your looking for a name you could call it "The Cyber". Its got meme branding.
Other names I'm putting out if "Unwired" or the ones on list
don't catch on is
>Sup Forumstopia
>Sup Forumsenesis
>Dyztopi@ (maybe switch the z for s),
>Diginet (I know it sounds like digimon but I'm referring to digits aka gets)
>B0Tnet
>Neonet
>Desunet
>Anonet
Sorry if they suck I'm tired.

>outernet
>unwired
>alternet
The only real options

What about "KaliNet" for war against the ISP monopoly and unwanted regulation
Our mascot could be depicted as having many arms. A Kali-chan lives in each user's router and uses her many arms to sort packets and send them to the right address.

obviously it's roteto net.

Or if we don't like Kali because of India memes, what about Athenet (Athena + net)
Athena was also a goddess of war, and the name Athenet could also relate to Athens named after her

I like that idea. Gonna run with it and see what I can do. If it looks good I'll pop it on here.

So can we start doing something?
Let's start with a IPFS Sup Forums book library

mostly good, but there are like 2 stormfags who keep derailing shit

Outernet is already taken desu

This.

Lets call it outernet.

Yes, this

Like we fucking care. If you want to name the documentation or some software you can put it in one of the hundred names, but outernet as the name of the network is cool an there is no reason we shouldn't name it like that between ourselves.

user, you have my vote.

Houston - Austin area, Denmark.
Fucking dumbass

I want to try this IPFS implementation github.com/Agorise/c-ipfs
Any user have it?

are you actually retarded laddie

That sounds kind of cool actually, I'd vote for it. It kind of reminds me of cern and their statue.

>Arachnet (like spiders, arachnids)

I've got IPFS, now what?

All implantations are inter-operable, no?

*Implementations
Pin some books and share the hashes

Pin books and share hashes
I'll create a guide this weekend

Seems like a plan. I want to share an etire folder and put it in a gopherhole, but because I change the content often I am not sure this will work in IPFS.

Thanks user, you can add it to the Wiki

Speaking of IPFS and moving to /our/net github.com/ipfs/distributed-wikipedia-mirror

People on this map are really far apart. How are we going to connect everyone without spending millions of dollars on ethernet cables or buying our own satellite? The only way this would work is if we all moved into some sort of commune where we all live in trailers. Our own little city where we all stay inside and shitpost on our own private network, having conversations on anonymous message boards with the people living right next door to us.

Ipns for content which changes
discuss.ipfs.io/t/questions-about-how-work-ipns-and-iprs/1022/2

Gotta start somewhere
If this takes off I can put 50k for satellites by 2020

Styxxhexenhammer666?

Any italian friend here in the mood of translating this IPNS guide youtube.com/watch?v=TbWddyZ_MNI

What does Sup Forums think of Althea? Link: altheamesh.com/

Found an IPNS guide web.archive.org/web/20161031024656/https://github.com/ipfs/examples/blob/master/examples/ipns/readme.md

>> 63630311
unwired

there are "many" things with the suffix and prefix "net" in the name

Internet, Zeronet, Ethernet, Botnet ... some may have some relation to others, others may not.
not using a network-based name can help lay people differentiate from anything more easily

The name seems to be a bit vague in English, but I think it's the bittersweet taste of it

>> 63630290
the same as before, however, it is not me who gives the names.

I think the most timeless and public/cognitive/not cabal (I do not know the right word) the name is the better is.

the ideas of using symbols are interesting, they can make the ordinal name a "new name," but this also does not help people to reproduce/type the word correctly and easily.

especially by writing in limited space, paper.
saying the word to another, the other understanding this.
impact on graphic design, etc.

unwired...

the same...

-sorry, Grammarly...

Waiting for the user who is going to make a happy pepe logo.

Logo looks like starman

I'll give it a look in a while, stay tuned.

This is what I got so far. I think she's cute but a bit void of context. Ideas?

Please

Yo this was posted in IRC. Need comments on it so we can agree on an architecture

Nowhere near enough. Well I mean technically if SpaceX let us have free space on a rocket we could theoretically get a cubesat into orbit on that budget but that would require us building a satellite manufacturing facility and then building a satellite. Ultimately this satellite would just crash back into the ground after a few months.

Gonna shill my logo one more time.

SVG: my.mixtape.moe/ovtenc.svg
Meaning: my.mixtape.moe/adwglj.png

Have fun. I hope this project goes places.

It's alright but a logo isn't really the huge priority that you graphics people make it out to be

funny

>Yo this was posted in IRC. Need comments on it so we can agree on an architecture
Whats the difference between high speed and normal wireless connection?

Nice, I like it

Maybe the high speed uses more powerful hardware and therefor has a better connection

Good!

Basic IPFS guide in the making mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/IPFS

Looks perfect ngl

first we need name of network... what if we decide on "Alternet" or "Fresnelnet"

what about look like some type of antenna she with her tentacles up kinda looks like a wireless antenna, but I think this may remember to WiFi antennas which I don't think it's good for the project since WiFi has royalties

maybe changing the skirt also helps

nigga what

why the what?

The high speed connection is basically just saying that the city wide nodes are going to have to be powerful antennas. We were talking about ubiquity equipment for that last night as they can get to like 150 miles with their fiber over air dishes

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Are you ok?

Very different than what I was expecting, but very cute.

I imagined her working in a sort of cylindrical room. There is a tube sticking in from the top,
and the entire wall is lined with even more tubes top to bottom. Incoming packets fall in from the top, she stands in the middle sorting packets and sticking them in to the correct tube to be whisked away to the next node. In times of high throughput she has to be able to work quickly and efficiently or she could be buried over her head in packets

To the wiki maintainer, I have that IRC guide but in FDL. Can I add the guide but with the notice is in FDL?

Please dont

Other than bike-shading discussion about name nothing is done yet after 50 threads?

See

I don't get it

Make she looks like a antenna

mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Category:Marketing
>Alternet discarded
>Undernet discarded
>Outernet discarded
I dont care about your shitty reasons someone is hijacking the naming. Get your shit together.

I'm glad you like her. Looking up the source material now, I went in a radically different direction. Hindu goddess she is not.

Not making her Hindu is definitely a good thing considering all the pajeet memes

Put an antenna on his head like with pepe.

>wasting time and resources on this when you could be helping gnunet

Is there at least one link created?

How is the IRC going? I bet you are having heated debates....on wheter FBI/NSA is right about the decisions they shill.

Im at my friends place setting up the 2nd end of a prototype

Hey, don't be sad. Anybody likes a good guy sucking your dick. Even if he is fro the FBI and wants to kill your project.

Here's the transcript:
Here's a summary of the video (skipping useless stuff):

"Now let's say i want to use it for example for a web site, i want the address to be fixed...
So, first we need to know our identity, so:
ipfs id
and it will print my id, here it is. So this one, ending in " Zbs ", i can use it to share, for example, the folder that we already created in the tutorial of ipfs (referring to the previous videos), so how i do this?
This time i have to publish it in a different way, i need the hash of the folder: ipfs add tutorial-ipfs/.....
I forgot the recursive: ipfs add -r tutorial-ipfs/
Ok, here it is " Z4Y ", and now we use the interplanetary name system,
ipfs name publish hashtobepublishedZ4Y
(Wrote ipfs wrong, he does it twice)
We wait for it to be distributed to the connected peers... ok it was published to this address, this is our ipfs address....
Ok, let's do a test, let's go directly to our gateway, ipfs.io/ipns/hashobtainedwithpublishbefore ..........
Here's our folder structure, perfect. Now i want to change something, this is the address, going to change it (the folder structure), for example let's add a file57.
Now, I can't see it yet, i have to do a ipfs add -r tutorial-ipfs/ ; now you see the hash of our folder has changed, so i have to do like before:
ipfs name publish newhashofthefolder
Ok, now our hash (referring to the id done at the start) is still " Zbs ", and if we press enter file57 has the same address and it's available, so it's possible to create a series of changing content within the same hash, so if i wanted to direct people to the folder "tutorial", i just have to add /tutorial at the end of the address. This will work until i change the internal folder..................."

The following video is about making multiple dynamic hashes.