/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your one-off questions that don't deserve their own thread here. Try and research it first if you can.

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/410980/include-a-text-file-in-a-c-program-as-a-char
linux.die.net/man/8/
man.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I got an odroid cloud. Can I install my OS onto the hdd from a second computer, set up open ssh and encrypt the second partition on the drive, and then plug it into the odroid and everythang jus' werks?

Can anyone help? I think I need to use Regex somehow, but I don't know how exactly.

How to root a ZTE majesty pro? I have a 32GB SD that can't be used as internal storage on it unless it's rooted for some retarded reason.

Anyways, how would I do that. The odroid is arm and my desktop is amd 86 or whatever.

Recommend me a seedbox

I'm on a 2TB hard drive and I have a 1TB SSD on the way that I want to be my primary drive. Is there a way I can copy files over and avoid having to install Windows and all my programs, settings, etc. on the new drive?

return your processor for one compatible with Windows 7.

A cloning kit is like $30. I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I wanted it to be easy. Sata-to-usb3.0 cable + cloning disc (or download from their website) and it takes maybe 25min for a slow 5400rpm drive.

It'd be better to just do a fresh install on the SSD than to copy all of the files like that and risk anything from an important file fucking up in the process. As someone who installed the OS fresh once I got an SSD, it's definitely worth it with the speed increase you get.

It would not work, as the OS to be installed has to be compatible with the CPU architecture. If you try to install an ARM OS onto the drive from an x86 computer it will error and not install anything.

I did what you said, and it didn't work. What I'm trying to say is that I have couple of playlists I made on my own on foobar, and when I click a single music file just to give it a quick hear, my music player removes the musics of last played playlist, then replacing it with the same single music file. I want to disable this.

Anyway, I kind of solved it. I ticked "Set 'Enqueue' as the default action". Now my playlists doesn't disapper anymore, but the single music file not corresponding to the playlists still get enqueued to the playlist. What I want is don't make musics I don't want to get enqueued to the playlists.

I hope my rephrased question sounds clearer now. Thanks for trying to help.

Anybody know a good drill that can be used to unscrew the tiny screws used on smaller laptops and phones?

I know, this is where I'm stumped. I'm not into IT or anything and want to set up a headless arm server. I only have my desktop, a usb stick and the HDD for the odroid.

There is no "speed increase" with respect to a SSD, as fragmentation is only relevant to physical spinning disks. Also, the OS will check and remove any software no longer relevant (HP laptops had some "if you drop this laptop, the internal accelerometer will detect it and stop your HDD before it hits the ground" software and cloning it to an SSD removed that automatically)

The OS itself will be faster once installed onto an SSD compared to an HDD.

The torque is so low on those screws that a drill probably isn't a good idea

Correct, but no faster with a fresh install than just cloning a HDD. There is no benefit to accessing contiguous memory on an SSD.

Have to do a clean install of windows 10 on a surface pro 3 for someone else. Should I use its recovery image with Windows 1511 and update it to 1709 or it's it fine to use some USB installer for 1709 and just let the thing install drivers from windows update? Any functionality lost other than the recovery partition?

Doesn't that ODroid have video-out? Why not use a USB hub and put a bootable image onto your stick, plug it in with a keyboard, connect it to some display, and run through the installation process?

Should I use biblatex or bibtex?

How is torguard as a VPN?

SP3s are finicky, I don't see why you wouldn't use the built in wipe then update. The time downloading drivers is equivalent to the time downloading updates.

it's the home cloud one.

What are some differences I should know about between AMD CPUs and Intel CPUs? aside from thing I can know from looking at the box/internet page, like amount of cores or models and stuff.
For Example, with GPUs I know Nvidia has better drivers than AMD, is there any similar fuckery on Linux with CPUs?
I'm considering building a new computer and I'm going to use primarily a flavor of Ubuntu and maybe a Windows 7 partition.

Given that I had more trouble with feature updates when updating rather than clean installing I was thinking of skipping that but maybe I should do that instead. Also in the past I've done something similar where I did a factory reset and it took more than 8 hours to have the system clean and up to date which kinda scares me.

I refer you to looking into the different supported instructions, and what benefits arise from whichever CPU supports an instruction the other doesn't. In terms of 32-bit CPUs, the answer is practically nothing. In terms of 64-bit, however, they vary pretty wildly. OS drivers are usually written for Intel CPUs, but sometimes optimize for AMD. Those kinds of things are marginal.

Go nvidia, driver support is solid compared to ati

If you have btc,
seedhost.eu

I would have to dick around with it but you can probably use the Linux 'screen' command to set up essentially an SSH session that won't time out on you. PuTTY on Windows supports this, or any Linux terminal. Obviously the manufacturer had to write the OS somehow.

Oh wait that's an Ethernet port, do a network boot. Look into how to do that from Linux, as I'm pretty sure it's easier than Windows. Don't be too intimidated, it requires a fair number of terminal commands on a second computer but it shouldn't mess anything up for you.

Also any program that will make some sort of easy to look at listing of all the directories and files in a drive?

Pop it in, clone with macrium reflect, change boot order in bios. Easy as shit.

>As someone who installed the OS fresh once I got an SSD
How would you even know the difference?

>Oh yeah, I bought a Ferrari and switched to premium fuel at the same time
>Hella fast car, so high end fuel is obviously better

x=0.999..
10x=9.999....
10x-x=9.9999...-0.9999=9
9x=9
x=1

How do I stop google from tracking my IP and showing results based on my location whenever I do a search on it? It's really starting to bother me.

Are there any sources you might recommend that explains your point more in layman's terms?
I'm not tech illiterate but I'm not too savvy with hardware.
Would I be right in saying that as far as CPUs go the operating system I use (Windows vs linux) wouldn't really matter much? so no driver fuckery like with GPUs?
I was asking about CPUs you silly billy.

I did a fresh install on my friends PC and now it randomly freezes and won't respond to anything which forces him to reboot it via the power button.
What could be wrong, it happens randomly.

Why does win10 installs like a tumblr blog?

Any one, in increasing order of hardness
Block location permission
Use VPN
Use Tor(warning : you'll have to captcha more)

why does you be installing it

Memtest

Why does ARM suck so much?

sfc /scannow
And check that all the devices have drivers in device manager.

Right.
>sfc /scannow
Will do.
>And check that all the devices have drivers in device manager.
On it.

You are correct in that statement. A 64-bit OS MUST run EVERYTHING on ANY 64-bit CPU by industry standards. However, some CPUs have accelerators, some have optimized hardware for multiplying huge numbers, or some can turn 80% of itself off when the computer is in sleep mode to be super power efficient. As newer CPUs come out, they try to pack as many of these extra things in as possible by shrinking the previous gen processor and adding the new features to the extra space left.

Apple A11 is an ARM CPU.

To get the most out of my nivido card playing gamen

It's actually very power efficient. If you could dissipate the intense heat of a 64-bit CPU in your phone it would be no problem, but that's not the case.

>Use VPN
What VPNs does Sup Forums recommend? I assume the good ones have sub fees?

So in a nutshell, I shouldn't look for 'what works best with Linux' like it's my first day using Ubuntu with Unity, but rather look into CPUs I'm interested in and pick the one with the bells and whistles I like? (naturally, if the amount of cores and speed is satisfactory).
So I shouldn't run into bullshit along the lines of "oh if you'd have paid the same money for the competitor you'd have gotten something that works insanely better because the software you use is hot garbage"?

I used dd to move an img onto a usb stick. Can I verify the file integrity? How?

When should I use "static" in C?

Reposting this, is a problem i have with java.

Sup Forums i have a question.
In java i created 3 classes.
First and main one will print a menu and call the second.
The second will be where operations will be made.
And in the 3rd will be an array to store the values to be used in the second.
My problem is, everything is null in the 3rd when i call it, why is that?
Could someone give me a example of how this is done?

This is the 3rd class.
public class Automovil {
String placas="N/A", color="N/A";
Short llegada=0000, salida=0000;
String estacionamiento="O";
float costo,monto;

public void setPlacas(String placas){
this.placas=placas;
}

public String getPlacas(){
return this.placas;
}

public void setColor(String color){
this.color=color;
}
public String getColor(){
return this.color;
}
public void setLlegada(Short llegada){
this.llegada=llegada;

}
public Short getLlegada(){
return llegada;
}
public void setSalida(Short salida){
this.salida=salida;
}

public String getEstacionamiento(){
return estacionamiento;
}

public void setEstacionamiento(String estacionamiento){
this.estacionamiento=estacionamiento;
}

public void setCosto(){
this.costo=costo;

}
public float getCosto(){
int horas=salida-llegada/100;
if(estacionamiento.equals("VIP")){
if(horas>1){
costo=horas-1*20+60f;
}else if(horas==1){
costo=horas*60f;
}
}//Fin VIP
else if(estacionamiento.equals("EST")){
costo=horas*15;
}
return costo;
}
}

The program is supposed to be a parking slot, in "Automovil"(Car) i need to store the info of the cars (Arrival, Color, Standard or VIP parking slot, etc).

public class ControlEstacionamientos {

Automovil[] EstVIP= new Automovil[10];
Automovil[] EstEST= new Automovil[10];

public Automovil[] getEstVIP() {
for(int i=0; i=EstEST.length; i++){
System.out.println("Car Plate print test"+EstEST[i].placas);
}
return EstEST;
}//Fin getEstEST

public void setEstEST(Automovil[] EstEST) {
this.EstEST = EstEST;
}//FinsetEstEST
}//Fin Class

The problem is, everything is Null when i try to use it, see pic.
How would i assign a value to Automovil stored in EstVIP[1]?

how does using the worst modern version of windows achieve that

it would make more sense to install windows 7 or 8.1

DX12 is only supported on 10.

Which is mostly a gimmick, vulkan is better.

The computer industry is jewing you.

There was some free soft ether Japanese VPN with around 100 servers

Which company makes the most stable and longlasting laptops now? I have a Dell laptop and everyone makes fun of Dell for some reason.

>No
>Shit
Also I've personally blacklisted about half of those.

>Used laptops
IBM/Early Lenovo Thinkpads.

>New laptops
Dell and Panasonic Toughbooks.

>Acer
Shit quality
>HP
Planned obsolescence.
>Lenovo
Chink quality.
>MSI
Ok but mostly gayming stuff.

What about Samsung?

What are some decent 13" laptops?
Don't need anything overkill, 8GB with an i5 is fine.

X220.

An used laptop from the last half decade

Ideally something without backlight bleeding.
So not the majority of Thinkpads.

Dell XPS 13.

What does that even mean. Do they make amoled laptops?

That was my first thought but an i3 with 4GB RAM for $1k is ridiculous.
Ideally something around the $600-700 range.

In the all time leaderboard for google play games, everyone 3rd place and below as far as you can scroll has 2,147,483,647 as their score. I know that's the max number allowed in a computer context somehow. But literally how do the first two persons on the leaderboard have a higher acore than the max integer allowed?

You are not getting a new 13" laptop with a I5 for $700.
They are gimmick overpriced laptops.

Why did it took Microsoft 20 years to develop a stable internet explorer for Android?

samsung is shit
hp products die without a reason
belkin is utter trash
intel is jewish
apple is homosexual
asus is shit
benq is shit
kaspersky has no business existing
dell is garbage
lenovo can go off itself
mcafeee also has no business existing
tenda is chinesium garbaggio
seagate, more like shitgate
thermalFAKE
netgear is overpriced horseshit
does maxtor even exist anymore? i guess not, OCZ is also on there
msi is fucking shit

>apple is homosexual
apple drone detected

oh and microsoft
fuck microsoft

Which browser to use with an 9 years old computer (1gb of ram) ?
Firefox was perfect one update ago, now with quantum it's Unusable.

>apple is homosexual

I hate apple and its fans but couldnt you have articulated criticism that isn't a meaningless buzzword?

what part of this post would trigger the "our system thinks your post is spam" message? there are no links and few buzzwords

I'm trying to get Plex, CouchPotato, and Sonarr running together on a debian server but am having a nightmare of a time configuring permissions. I want Transmission and Sabnzbd to download to the same incomplete/complete folders in my main user home directory and then have CP and sonarr move the files from there to another location within the home directory that Plex is configured to look at. Right now downloads all work but anything downloaded from transmission won't be moved by either program, though sabnzbd works fine for some reason.

Is there some idiotproof method to setting this stuff up? Since each program seems to run as a separate user by default I really don't understand how to deal with permissions with regards to reading and writing. When I played around with running the services as the main user that also did not seem to work.

maybe h3/idubs

programming level: beginner
language:c++
problem:
to feed my calculations program input factors they need to be formatted the right way, i made an excel sheet to accomplish this and allow easy copy & paste.
now i dont want to drag around the program and the excel sheet so i would like to embed the sheet in the program with the possibility to create it.
stuff done so far:
i converted the sheet into binary data and managed to recreate the file from it, so now i need to get the data into the code.
i tried the raw string solution i found here: stackoverflow.com/questions/410980/include-a-text-file-in-a-c-program-as-a-char
problem is i get the error that an input was expected. putting the data directly into the code using prefix and suffix didnt work since, for whatever reason, the suffix wasnt found.
another method would be to just create an excel file and write stuff in it, but my preferred version is working with a makro, so that would not work, so now im stuck and need help.

Should've told me that yesterday. I did ask yesterday.

Because they stopped focusing on their shitty phone OS.

>hp products die without a reason
They all have planned obsolescence.
Mostly is because lack of cooling so BGA CPUs, chipsets or GPUs.
They have been doing this since fucking 2008.

HP G, DV, Envy, some elitebooks, the whole Pavilion and AIO line, etc.
All those and more are affected by this which could be fixed easy by having proper cooling.

>does maxtor even exist anymore? i guess not, OCZ is also on there
Seagate bought Maxtor.

2+2 is 4, -1 that's 3 (quick maths).

what is the simplest video cutter program?

fffmpeg.
Use Webm for retards crop option.
Or install Shotcut.

Hey g just turned 18
Thanks sqt for answering many questions throughout last year!!!
Love you all love you g

How can I see the full list of OpenBSD man pages for a specific section? Like this: linux.die.net/man/8/

>man.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi

apple isn't worth the effort

see

I've noticed that if I've logged into YouTube and set the master race dark theme, it persists after I log out.

How can I make sure dark theme is always on, even after wiping cookies and shit? Is there an extension perhaps (Firefox)?

No, you're a retard. You can't cherrypick that something you dislike isn't worth articulating sound criticism against. It's literally an easy target, and you're an anti-intellectual who can't explain why it's bad.

How do video games work on Linux? I know on Windows they just use an .exe file and that makes everything come together, but what about on Linux? Apart from ./(game name), there's surely some file type that works the same way as an .exe file in Windows

executable files exist in linux

I get all retarded when I have to deal with strings.
I have to make something like this:
\tuplet 3/2 { c } \tuplet 3/2 { c } \tuplet 3/2 { c }
turn into this
\tuplet 3/2 { c c c }

What do I have to learn to deal with this kind of shit?

What is a good equalizer for windows?
Google only gives shady file hippo sort of software