Using Ubuntu as daily driver for laptop

>Using Ubuntu as daily driver for laptop
>cut/paste word document to flash drive
>boot up flash drive on other computer so I can print it
>files missing from flash drive
>go back to laptop and can't find files there either
>files completely gone from existance
>the files in question was my entire semester notes for a class and I have a Final Tomorrow

FUCK LINUX REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

>cut and paste
Why not copy and paste you dumb retard? Also use Windows 7

It's your fault using linux for your pc, faggit

>Using cut instead of copy
You asked for it mongoloid
BTW, if you studied well during the semester you won't need to read all of the notes a day before. However, judging by your actions, I would assume even that won't help you now.

[unsubscribe]

Because it was for my final, after I print the notes it's completely useless. Sure Copy might have retained the files on the hard drive but how the fuck is a simple command like Cut/Paste going to fuck shit up?

he's right though, 2017 and linux still has garbo usb handling

>can't use a computer
>blames everyone/everything but self
stay special Sup Forums

>my flash drive is broken so it's Linux' fault

His fault for using Ubuntu.

>an absolute basic, largely used command doesn't work properly
>"j-just don't use it"

Fuck you.

>I fucked up by not closing the document before unplugging a drive
>I didn't even bother to copy-paste or unmount the drive just in case
>
>b-but it happened on Linux so it's not my fault
Yeah, no. You're retarded.

I had this same exact situation on Windows 7 a few years ago. We ended up re-doing the homework from entirely from scratch. Fucking library computers.

But think of the important lesson you learned:

If a file is not stored in at least three places, you shouldn't consider it to exist at all

I tested it afterwards in Windows, everything reads and saves properly.

Who cuts and pastes important files?

Also, OP should just use his most recent back ups.

>i don't know how filesystems and flash storage work: the thread

Guess how much shit 15 year old me lost by unplugging shit early on windows XP?

A lot.

>using a file manager
there's your problem

>how can deleting a file and having the only copy of it on an extremely easy-to-clear clipboard on a buggy OS fuck shit up?
Christ you're retarded

>>Using Ubuntu
>picrelated
The rest of the post is unnecessary

But you niggers told me Linux was better than Windows. It can't even do cut/paste properly. Then I tried using Photorec to recover the file and all it did was completely fill my hard drive despite me having 90 gigs of free space there before I used it. Fuck Linux. If I fail this final because of it I'm going to make it my life's mission to fuck this piece of shit operating system over.

Why wouldn't you just copy and paste?
Why don't you have backups?

Are you fucking retarded?

>It can't even do cut/paste properly
Exactly, you can't, the operating system can

>i-it was the file manager's clipboard

no

it was the filesystem driver. your file had not been written to the disk before you unplugged it. windows does this too. that's why it tells you to safely remove hardware.

>If I fail this final because of it I'm going to make it my life's mission to fuck this piece of shit operating system over

>a highschool dropout vows to destroy the single most used operating system

Boy you're in for a rides

My Mac doesn't have this problem.

Why are you telling me this and not OP?

It's so easy to use it lets you log in as root without any authentication

>Why wouldn't you just copy and paste?
Because I didn't need the file anymore, by cutting it I can just save some time from deleting it from the hard drive
>Why don't you have backups?
Because for this class in particular I just used the laptop to take notes and the class is only a final so I never needed to use the notes beforehand
>Exactly, you can't, the operating system can

>ctrl+x
>right click and paste in the USB's folder
>Linux said the file transferred
>"You did something wrong"

Literally what I've always done, how did it only fuck up this
time?
Linux said the file transferred, like I said it was a tiny doc file, it should transfer instantly anyway and I definitely didn't remove as soon as I hit paste.

I remember in college we would actually delete each other's work all the time as a jest, and as such we all learned this lesson quickly.

This is exactly why i use google drive, desu.
>inb4 botnet
I know, and I don't care.

The same would happen on windows retard. Your idiocy transcends operating systems.

That's not how it works.

Safely remove your hardware nextr time.

>by cutting it I can just save some time from deleting it from the hard drive
Ah, so you're a jew

>Linux
>single most used operating system
Not even Freetards believe this.

I've done that method in windows a million times and it never did that. I even tested it afterwards to see if the flash drive was faulty. It wasn't, it did it correctly.

>most embedded devices use linux
>most servers use linux
>most cellphones use linux
>b-but a dumb box on my desk uses windows! (which is starting to emulate linux)

Are you retarded or something?

werks for me must be a (you) then

>be an idiot a million times going against established best practices while using windows
>miraculously be unaffected a million times [dubious-discuss]
>finally you lose your gamble against stupidity
>n-not my fault!

Nobody properly ejects the flash drive when they use it, stop acting like people don't do it all the time and it never did anything wrong

I hope you fail, you should always make back ups of the documents you write! I sync my files with the cloud, nas and hdd because I'm not a complete retard

Great job, you sure saved yourself a lot of time you downy cunt

>people in this thread unironically defending Linux's shit usb handling

OP fucked up but at the same time this problem wouldn't exist in Windows or Mac

Nobody does it because most people with a brain don't copy over their only copy of an important file to a fragile medium while simultaneously deleting the only other copy you literal nigger

Things that never happened. Stay mad Microcucks you can't stop us from enjoying our sweet Noobuntu and denying you that sweet, sweet telemetry and advertising bux. I do enjoy the flavour of your tears though so salty would drink again.

Hey! Don't insult niggers by comparing them to OP.

>Nobody properly ejects the flash drive when they use it
I do, and I have never lost a file to a zip disquette because of that. When I do lose them, always to an already dying thumb stick, I can simply go back to the original because I don't erase them unnecessarily like a byte-pinching jew.

>this problem wouldn't exist in Windows or Mac
Oh my sweet summer child

>this problem wouldn't exist in Windows or Mac
Oh my sweet summer child

Are you implying Linux doesn't objectively have worst usb handling?

Explicitly deleting a file and having it in your clipboard just to move it is retarded. Why not just copy it, then delete it when you ACTUALLY don't need it?

Why don't you sit down and write a handler for it if it bothers you that much? I myself... > I can simply go back to the original because I don't erase them unnecessarily like a byte-pinching jew.

kek

>Because I didn't need the file anymore
Wrong faggot. You did need the file. Hence this thread. You could have avoided this by not *deleting* the file until you didn't need it.

The handling isn't the point. The point is that OP thinks deleting a file from it's main storage when he really needs it is a good idea cause some nominal efficiency difference. Anything could have happened and he would be just as fucked.

This could all be avoided if you just cut the habit of yanking out the flash drive before safely removing it on the OS.

Chances are it was still copying when you removed it.

>using linux

>he fell for the loonix meme

same story but with debian 7. Did paste something to the flashdrive and plugged it into another machine and the files were not there. Plugged it back into debian and the flashdrive was empty. okay.jpg, paste the files again and the same shit happens. Did this 3 times and the reformated the flashdrive and this didn't help either. The flashdrive wasn't faulty because I use that one every week for other files under windows. I could never explain what happened there because after pasting the files onto it under debian, I could absolutely see them and even refresh the folder. But unplugging and plugging the that thing back in all the files were missing. I just forgot about this shit and thought maybe something was fucked with my install. That was years ago and I never had this happen again, but I also don't have that laptop anymore.

What is photorec

Nope, MS scrapped that and actually copies stuff right away. Linux, or better the GNU userland is fucking retarded in that regard. This stuff just has to work properly or else it's bad design, which it is. kernel should flush write caches automatically by default on USB or removable media.

That's actually a good idea, it's open source after all.

>hardcoding a direct override of the filesystem drivers

it's amazing what you can do when the filesystem drivers are baked into the kernel
you can hang the entire operating systems by inserting a malformed mass storage device.

>Explicitly deleting a file and having it in your clipboard just to move it is retarded
THAT'S NOT HOW CUT WORKS. The file should never ever be deleted prior to the paste. If Leenucks does otherwise, then it's a complete travesty.

Here's what happened.
>cut file
>paste file into directory on flash drive
>file gets copied into flash drive directory
>deleted from original folder
But here's the thing, pretty much every operating system employs write caching because flash drives are so goddamn slow, pending writes are saved to RAM first and then committed to persistent storage in order to improve OS responsiveness.
It gives the illusion that your flash drives are faster than they really are.
When you're ejecting disks safely, it's dumping all pending writes to the disk before it disconnects so you don't lose data.
You ejected it before it could finish, now the file is gone.

Enjoy taking on another $12,000 in debt.

>daily driver
You deserve this.

>Final Tomorrow
if you still needed those notes, you were going to fail anyway user

Funny, in my programming class I often I have to the university's Ubuntu image because the other images they have is windows XP and it won't recognize the usb sticks with my assignments on it.

>windows XP
>university

Just drop out now and stop wasting money. Your degree is worthless.

Judging by OP's reply, he is indeed retarded

No biggie, just get the file from your backup.

Nah, it's just that class, the degree isn't even CS it's just a required class for the math degree for some reason.

They expect us to use devc++ on windows XP, to use "using namespace std" and It"system("PAUSE")". That class is a horror-show of bad practices but at least I can basically it just from lurking Sup Forums

>cut and paste
>don't unmount to ensure complete file transfer
>no backups

Gee I wonder what happened.

This post is bait or you're a genuine retard. Either way, you don't need your notes for the final, and you could easily just use some combination of lecture slides, other people's notes, and practice exams if you were actually concerned with doing well

>what is unmount
>what is windows equivalent 'safe removal'

fs cache in linux fucks up lots of shit, the progress bar for copying files to other drives is completely useless, what you should do before removing the usb is execute 'sync' on a terminal

>Cuts and pastes like a retard to saze time
>Has to spend hours getting files back

>no snapshots
>no onsite backup
>no remote backups
>no offline backups

>he fell for the loonix meme

whats the problem? Just paste again, it should still be in your clipboard.

Hi Tom

>linux
>not even once

You should know by know that linux is for neets and hobbyists.

Just see how many mocked you for not being able to do such a simple task. Instead they provided with tons of excuses and workarounds to justify their shitty os.

Good another dumb ape who can't into computers leaves Linux.
Thank you Tyrone, please stay on Windows.

>no version control
>no backup
>no snapshot
SAD

Good thing a monkey like this won't be going around with a (((degree))).

>enterprise crapware uses loonix
wow I totally care!

Thanks for the (You)s gentlemen. This was a true story but I actually had a Dropbox back up :^) Fuck Linux though.

Its not Ubuntus fault that you're a retard

>not having your shit backed up
retard

>cuckbox

i mean you tried?

That's what you get for using AutistOS.

If you don't run backups I have no sympathy. You're a fucking mook.
If data is valuable you don't store a single copy of it. Ever. Period. End. Full stop.
No excuses.

>he doesn't keep an automated online backup of everything

?????????????????????

I fell for this meme once.
you didnt have write permission on the flash drive so it copied the file, silently errored out, and deleted the original.

also:
>save files by dragging from webpage to desktop
>save dozens of files
>organize them and shit
>go to access them later that night
>mfw they are sym links or whatever to the fucking webpage
t-thanks l-l-linux

? Just pull up your backup

>deleting .doc files to save space
user, you weren't gonna pass that final anyway because you're clearly devoid of thinking capabilities.

>doesn't flush vfs
>file gets lost when usb device is removed.

retard. lol.

learn to sync or udisksctl

The first part didn't happen, the second would also happen in windows/mac and you're stupid.

first part did happen, I lost config files and logs.
on windows you can drag files straight to the desktop, this shit doesnt work, or atleast didnt work on linux at the time.
whats it like living with mental illness? I cant imagine how much your parents must be suffering dealing with an arrogant manchild all day.

how do you guys do backups

do you just copy paste shit to spare hard drives or what? because that's what I've been doing so far except like once or twice a year or so

>le unsubscrib blog pots meem!
but also OP, i feel you. had to redo a resume because i nuked the drive it was on and forgot about it. luckily, my list of skills and education is pretty fucking short
pic unrelated, but i had the trots at the time of posting

>things haven't happened