/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

laco.de/en/watches/pilot-watches-special-models/pilot-watch-c-dc-3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just don't please.

What are you wearing today?

What do you think of Laco watches? I want to buy this one laco.de/en/watches/pilot-watches-special-models/pilot-watch-c-dc-3

This looks like it's bent to me. Is it bent?

Looks bent to me

Still on an AE1200 kick.

Don't spend that much money on a Laco, they are inexpensive Chinese outsourced watches and spending 530 Euros on one would be am unbelievably poor value.

That's definitely bent.

Alright, then it's going to be replaced. Thanks guys.

By the way it's an escape wheel from a Seiko 7009.

Yeah, I sad the S-word in the 9th post of the new thread. Enjoy it getting ruined. Again.

It's definitely a nice looking watch. The back looks press-fit though which kind of sucks and would make me weary about its water resistance. I'm also confused about the movement. Are they modifying an 821a to their own spec for this, or is it a knock-off they produced themselves?

>tfw I used to like divers but now I just wear dress watches all the time
Is this what growing up is like?

You did all that, just to say Seiko?

Kinda the same. Has less to do with the style and more with the feeling. Thin dress watches are just more comfy to wear. Going back to my diver is like strapping a weight on my wrist.

I'm also guessing you have a straight edge handy and that should confirm it's bent. You could rotate it with something indexing off of it straight up and down like they do to see how bent bike rims are or anything like that?
You would know for sure then and wouldn't be guessing.
Yes but he made it very obvious that anyone who starts shit flinging is retarded. And for that we thank him.

Your parents must be proud of you.

>TFW you will never own a paragraph version of the daytona :(

>TFW you will never own a pre-Daytona Cosmograph

>TFW you will never own a timex weekender homage

>Friday live this week is with the CEO of Zenith
Looking forward to it 2bh

who isn't?

Swatch Once Again.

Oh, I'll have to check that out. I'm really interested to hear how soon they plan to extend use of the ZO 342 to more models (perhaps someone can find a polite way to ask if any non-hideous models will get it).

Took it to my watch maker today to get the bracelet fixed and resized. they were all geeking out over it.

It was cute to see a 60 something grizzled Italian watch maker smile and ask all sorts of questions about a watch he probably hasn't seen in ages.

Back of my mind all day will be thinking about how to ask questions in a way that they might select one haha. I'm guessing they will ask him about how they plan to roll out the movement but an extra question or two won't hurt.
Maybe "d o you plan to use the ZO 342 in a any other collections of watch or is it limited to the Defy collection?" Or something like that.

Damn looks cool. Does it have a calendar and if so how far does it go in years?

that's pretty dope user

what's your opinion on microbrand watches ? some of them are really amazing

Glad you are enjoying it. The SBPG001 is almost inarguably the GOAT lcd quartz.

Try phrasing it this way "is Zenith planning to eventually use the ZO 342 in any classically styled models?"

Good beater watch advice?
microdust ingress is a problem

Ah nice pickup. You've joined canaddianon in that club. Let me know if you need to replace any parts or fix anything because I was thinking of buying one.

Damn that is thick as fuck isnt it?
GShock

Depends on the brand. I think Halios are ok but are a little too expensive for my tastes in terms of microbrands.

i don't know about that but i am really curious about the materials cost including coating the silicon. I don't know how thick the wafer is or what qualities it requires but each wafer produces 13 full movements. so assuming the wafer is slightly thicker than normal and has to be special ordered in low quantities; the cost could be as high as 1000-2000 dollars in materials for 13 full movements. Around 75-155 dollars per movement in materials alone. Assembly costs are low and production costs are low for high volume production. So theoretically if this was licensed to companies like seiko you could see 1000 dollar watches with this movement if they sold in sufficient quantities.

design Wise some of them are just so fucking great

No calendar in the sense that you could add events. But the regular day/date/year will continue to be accurate until 2050.

I agree user. I'd like to thank the Canadian here for making me aware of it.

It's a legitimately neat watch. Real shame Seiko stopped production. I could easily imagine them still being desirable by the average non watch enthusiast.

Sarb>spedmaster

Two very nice sport watches that don't deserve comparison in my opinion

oh for reference

>SARB
At least make it a Pogue if you're gonna shitpost man.

Only thing that needed fixing or adjustment is that the previous owner , in order to resize it I guess, drilled one of the holes in a link to a nonstandard diameter. Watchmaker did some stuff and sorted it out.

Other than that the watch is in superb condition.

Don't know the exact mm off the top of my head but it's not very thick at all. Just looks like it in that pic.

I think that they should have much lower costs than for other uses of silicon wafers. You can infer based on the locations on the wafer that they take the movements from that they don't need to care about the quality of the silicon, so they can throw out very little compared to the CCD industry at least.

Oh come on. There is no Seiko chronograph ever made I would take over a L5100 Speedmaster. No, not even the brilliant Daini produced 701x models.

See

I have been timing my new watch and it's +/- 0 sec per day

is there something wrong with it?

most rolexes are +/- 5 or so seconds a day

pic related, it's my watch

another pic

how do I fix it so it runs slow or fast many seconds per day?

Hello?
Is this reddit?

does the radio sync part of it still work?

Big meme

>responding to a shit poster

they are AMAZING i like how they have hands and numbers on the dial unlike "mainstream" watches

It works no problem on mine in Southern Ontario.

>What are you wearing today?

Wut? I thought they were made in Germany

Works just fine here in the US east coast

Only to the bare minimum extent required to satisfy German labeling laws. Most of the case/dial/hands are clearly Chinese outsourced.

I have $121 dollars of ebay bucks to spend, and I have to do it today or they expire.

What is the best watch I can get for that price? I like divers and classic stainless steel type watches. I am up for a nice older watch or something new I am not familiar with. Has anyone seen any good ebay listings?

best linked buy it now listing under that price wins me buying it and posting photos/a review when I get it

thanks /wt/

buy 12 hmt pilots

fyi right now I am leaning toward buying an oyster bracelet for my SKX and a bostock russian watch

any tips on what oyster to buy or what bostock would be good? thx

also i will buy 32 of those off of you for 25 usd if you want. are those transferable?

Microbrands are all pretty much the same to me. You get a mechaquartz or Miyota at the low to mid end, and off the shelf ETAs at the high end stuffed into Chinese made cases with a pretty steep markup for some (Autodromo Group B comes to mind).

>knurled pushers
What did they mean by this?

How accurate is the in-house Tudor movement compared to GS caliber 9S65?

about the same

Not bad for a rep.

I'd like to interject for a moment. That's a very ugly watch.

+5 to -3 for the gs vs +6 to -4 for the Tudor both are probably conservative and one would expect even greater accuracy from both.

I personally like the 710/Ministry case but you can check Meranom for a whole variety of styles and dial designs, and then you can just put the model (Such as 710059, where the first 3 numbers is the case and the last 3 are the dial). Just try to get one that's USSR vintage instead of one of the new models. The new ones are still fine watches, but ironically the quality went down when the Soviet Union fell. Although the SE models also seem enticing with their stainless bezels and cool dials, they possibly have the most Chinese made parts out of all of the Amphibias.
You could also try and get a really good deal on a vintage 960 Neptune since those were held to an even higher standard of quality control back then and, come with a nicer stainless bracelet than other Vostoks.

Also for the record, it's just Vostok. B is a Cyrillic V, and C is an S.

Muh rallysport aesthetic.

Come on man, one of the best parts about it is that it doesn't try to replicate a modern sub. To clarify, the lug size is just a touch larger than the pre-maxi case, as opposed to the maxi dimensions.

ok cool

how can i tell if it's a real ussr vintage one? I feel like there would be fakes of those

do you see any on ebay right now that look good? thanks

I want to get a Submariner rep. Does anyone here have any experience with high-quality replicas?

yes

high quality reps are high quality

low quality are low quality

Too bad these were so overpriced.

It'll say Cдeлaнo в CCCP on the dial or case instead of Cдeлaнo в Poccии.

They have such great aesthetics, the racing based microbrands (except Helgray the Silverstone is their only good watch) but they're totally overpriced for the average as fuck Miyota or Chinese movement inside.

An NOS crystal cost me almost as much as i paid for watch. Bracelet is a full length beads of rice that's probably worth twice my overall cost so far.

Now i just need to sell the other trio of watches to get me some shekels.

Also, post new purchases.

>Also, post new purchases.

Anyone here have any experience with NOMOS watches? I'm interested in the Ahoi neomatik.

What do you watchfags think about instruments?

>Raketa attends Baselworld going all out trying to sell their movements to other companies
>The only one to bite is an unknown microbrand

The newer DUW movements are great, but Nomos' aesthetics are pretty polarizing.

Just post any you see, there are a lot of fakes. I'll try to respond.

>another microbrand makes watches made from a used Russian rocket booster
>uses ETA movements instead of Russian transliterally "Rocket" movements
>Names the watch "Spaceborn" when the booster never even reaches outer space

>lose my pulsar pw3001 meme watch
>it's now $50 on ebay and amazon
Was all that shilling enough to raise the price?

Is there a 420059 style dial but in black? The closest to it has numbers.

What's the most fashionable watch for a power bottom faggot? Asking for a friend.

Aqua Terra.

Is that the jewelry you wear to the gay bar?

There's this vintage one but I can't find the number for it. I think they only started giving their dials numbers after Vostok "modernized" in the 2000s.
There's also the 420916 which is sorta close.

Are g-shocks the perfect drunk watch?

>is there something wrong with it?
>most rolexes are +/- 5 or so seconds a day
You have to have a mechanical watch, having bunch of gears pushed by a spring is the height of accuracy and technology

that's why i ride a horse and listen to vinyl and use linux desktop OS too

uh YES

lmao

Technically, sorta, but you won't find one for sale ever. There are definitely some vintages alike or very similar to this one↓
Vostok always used dial numbers.

Extremely overpriced. For 4 grands you can a Tudor or GS watches which are extremely higher quality.

That one is actually quite nice, except for the decaying lume.

Ah that's perfect