>shutting down bloated as fuck Linux Mint - 5 seconds

>shutting down Windows - 20 seconds

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3TovcF1j3bE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We here at Microsoft strive to be the worst while maintaining a walled garden with our Office suite and broad development base. Our stance is that you take it in the ass or you can go fuck yourself instead.

just unplug power cable, pleb

>Waiting to close application: folder

Systems with actual software have things to shut down

Linux has
>No real productivity suite
>A handful of games
>No real Draws
>No real image/video editing

Of course it shuts down faster

youtube.com/watch?v=3TovcF1j3bE

I meant switching off from an empty desktop. No user started programs were running on both.

Because some devs at Ms think IPC via exception is acceptable

There are some hilarious program startup procedures due to this

>finally time for bed
>shut down windows

>CONFIGURING UPDATES DON'T TURN OFF YOUR PC 1% ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................2% .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................3%.....................................................................................................................................

Gotta back everything up in case grandma loses power and wants to ever use the computer again

>visiting a friend
>laptop with you but not the charger
>at some point turning off laptop
>[update screen]
>update takes fucking ages
>meanwhile the battery runs out
>laptop faints at 75% update
>come home
>get charger and switch it on
>installation is completely fucked
>recovery doesn't work
>fresh install is needed

I'm getting so sick and tired of your shit. It's just bits, everywhere.

>not bringing the charger with you

>JUST windows things

>just Firefox things

Right, Windows' actual telemetry software just need its time to shut down.

Happened to me
Absolute shit

>He dosen't set off an IED at his local power station to turn off his computer

>he doesnt just flip the switch on his psu

> Using Windows

>shutting down OSX
>75 seconds

Jesus christ Apple.

not switching "what is this red switch with 110v-220v label is for?" switch to terminate your PC work

that switch isnt a threat to us burgers or japs or alot of other people.

uhm isnt there an option to DISABLE SHUTDOWN UPDATES WHILE ON BATTERY?

RMS is using his speech money for a Linux defence force now

Windows 10 cocksucker here, thanks for the cautionary tale, fellow user. I'll be sure to never have this happen to me.

my manjaro install shutdown in 3 sec

Of course not.
It's incredible that there's no way to pause it or stop it in any way besides a hard reset which may cause data loss.

my arch shuts down in 2 seonds

you guys probably use SSDs though

You don't have to sit there and wait for it, you know.

have to notify the botnet

Disable write cache buffer flushing, thank me later

Nah at work i close all apps before shutting down and it's still slower than loonix.

That's actually a thing on Windows? I had assumed the "don't turn off" message was just suspenders in addition to belt. Wincucks have just themselves to blame, but still, that's pretty embarrassing.

You can disables it you literal brainlet
What are you people even doing on this site?

it takes around 5 seconds to shut down and less than 10 to boot to desktop on my windows 10

>bloated as fuck Linux Mint
That's just the thing. People joke about how bloated the "user friendly" Linux distros are, or how bloated things like systemd, PulseAudio, GStreamer, GNOME or KDE are, but they don't hold a candle to Windows. Windows has been accumulating bloat for 30 years, and Microsoft can't remove any of it because of legacy support reasons. Just look at how many services are enabled in a default Windows install, including shit you will never use in your lifetime. Look at how many registered COM classes there are, or just how many registry keys exist in a default install.

A stock Windows 10 install is 11GB, but you'd struggle to reach that with Linux, even with a full KDE or GNOME installation. Some people say a Linux installation is bloated if it comes with both Qt and GTK, but just think of the number of application frameworks and GUI toolkits you get with a stock Windows install. You get the basic Win32 stuff, including the dialog manager, comctl32, comdlg32, plus MFC, plus several versions of the .NET framework, each containing both WinForms and WPF, plus UWP/XAML, plus all Microsoft's internal frameworks (DirectUI et al.)

The scope of Windows bloat is ridiculous. Please do not compare it to Linux.

because you're a linuxfag so you can't operate anything except for linux
/thread

yes, it's called manual updates

>can't remove any of it because of legacy support reasons.

To be quite honest when I look at the services running on a fresh install there's FUCKTONS of stuff that can be easily switched off without losing much functionality and/or compatibility . It just seems lazy.

Mint really isn't that bad as people make it seem

That's what you get for having friends

flip the switch yo

You do if you just wanna do a quick reboot

Windows has to take the time to send your information to the nsa before shutting down

>finally time for bed
>shut down windows

>"a quick reboot"

>WIndows still doesn't have CoW
I can literally pull sticks of RAM here and not give a fuck.

Windows frags memory over time with other unknowns.
We have to restart our DB win machines or they run slow the next day of operations.
Transitioning to RHEL wherever possible to avoid having to keep uptime below 1 day.

>No real image/video editing
vapoursynth and gimp

can you explain? googling "cow" doesn't help

copy on write, my acoustic friend

why are windows updates so painful?

linux solved this problem a decade ago

My thinkpad with Windows 7 takes like a minute and a half to fall asleep after closing the lid. Under a minimal install of Arch Linux it falls asleep basically instantly. What the fuck.

>finally time for bed
>shut down windows

>We have to restart our DB win machines or they run slow the next day of operations.

These two are not the same thing.

>WIndows still doesn't have CoW
Neither does ext4 or xfs. They, and NTFS, use journalling instead, which works just as fine.

that's because it's true

>Windows frags memory over time with other unknowns.
>We have to restart our DB win machines or they run slow the next day of operations.
I don't run Windows, but I highly doubt this is a fault of Windows'. It's not like the NT kernel itself has some knows VM bug or anything. It sounds much more like a bug in the DB server or (more likely, I'd think) your setup of it.

Are you accusing Windows of having its boot/shutdown times affected just by software being installed somewhere on the hard drive? Wouldn't surprise me if Windows did indeed suck that much.

It has to shut down all those telemetry services.

Exactly what he said. No real video/image editing.