/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s Linux Games: /flt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S48969412
warosu.org/g/thread/S53951408
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

MODS!

/flt/ came before /fglt/ took over, nothing wrong with wanting to call it /flt/

What distro should I get if I don`t want any DE, just i3 without too much trouble?
Was considering Ubuntu server.

If all you care about is i3 and don't care about things like systemd, then ubuntu 16.04 LTS will be fine if you don't want to reinstall every 6 months

Install GNU

You got your thread

I want to Install Linux and dual-boot from a partition but man I'll be trouble with my dad if anything goes wrong. What do I do Sup Forums? VMs absolutely suck

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Nobody raids /fglt/ with anti-GPL pastas

Meant anti GNU pasta

GNU

Where the fuck are the mods?

/flt/ was here first, it was the very first one before GNU evangelicals took over. This is a legal thread because it's /flt/, not /fglt/

FUCK GNU

If you really want to have a Linux thread, then you must talk only about the kernel, because that's what Linux is. A motherfucking kernel.

fuck off faggot, delete this thread now

It's called GNU/Linux.

You can have linux installed without any GNU software. Replace GNU coreutils with busybox, suckless sbase, or use plan9port. All the other GNU software can also be replaced, even linux kernel compiled with clang with just a few patches.

This is now a Stallman thread.

I disagree. I use the word Linux to refer to the family of operating systems, just like Windows refers to a family of operating systems including Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8. And most other people use it the same way.

Then just delete the fucking thread and start over from scratch.
Both Arch and Gentoo are distributions of GNU/Linux. In fact, just about everything on the OP pasta is about GNU/Linux.

Both arch linux and gentoo linux just call themselves officially "arch linux" and "gentoo linux"

It's perfectly fine to use the word Linux to refer to Arch and Gentoo.

>just like Windows refers to a family of operating systems including Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8
Double standards much?
Just call it NT so you can at least be a consistent idiot.

>Someone decides to call it a linux thread rather than friendly GNU/Linux thread
>GNU cultists immediately raid and demand they call it GNU/Linux when GNU is completely optional at this point
Right, you guys are definitely not a cult

No. No double standards. You are an retard who is incapable of realizing that a single word can have multiple meanings.

You don't need GNU for a fully function desktop, no need to call it /fglt/

Think you're misquoting here, buddy.

>when Stallman sees this thrad.

>the guy who helped write a text editor

Why can't we all just get along?

linux exists without GNU
GNU doesn`t exist without linux

>Replace GNU coreutils with multiple alternatives
>Patch linux kernel with patches to make it compile with clang
>replace the glibc with musl or other alternative
There you go, fully function linux desktop without any GNU software necessary

Because GNU evangelists always come to shit up those threads.

THINK YOU'RE MISQUOTING HERE, BUDDY!

The state of anti-freedom idiots.

GNU and Linux

A much needed lesson

This is now a friendly Hurd thread.

>GNU evangelical cultists raid a friendly linux thread
You guys are cancer

good thread

(checked)

/flt/ dates back to 2015
warosu.org/g/thread/S48969412

/fglt/ started becoming a thing around 2016
warosu.org/g/thread/S53951408

As you can see, /fglt/ tried to subvert /flt/ and now think they're the original

>Idiots were here first.
What's your point?

(checked again)
not an arguement, faggot

How subversive of you, you commies

flt had a bug, why would you want to downgrade?

There you go OP, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson about freedom you fucking faggot.

Nothing sounds like freedom by involuntary force by a powerful group of people

You have to say what I want you to say! Exactly how I want you to say it! Or I'll spam you and troll you relentlessly! Until you do exactly what I say!

t. "freedom" guy

:^)

...to shut up.

Also, stop bumping this shit, there's a new thread here

this

what should I call my computer

I am so glad I decided to filter all things related to /fglt/, including this thread.

If there only were cointainment threads for macfags and wintoddlers to filter them easily...

I never liked when SJWs decided that it wasn't politically correct enough to say /flt/ and started calling it /fglt/. It's a stupid thread name and looks ugly. I hope people keep pushing this original name until it wins forever.

doesn't look like the filter worked, considering you managed to post here

GNU

Linux

rosa

Stallman fags need to kill themselves.

I'd just like to interject for a moment, Gentoo is an OS that is either based on the Linux kernel and any set of userspace tools you want (most commonly the ones by GNU, yes), or the FreeBSD kernel and the FreeBSD userspace tools. Now kys

The FSF recommends Trisquel among others. Any one have experience with it?

It's not the worst, but not good. I wouldn't religiously follow FSF suggestions.

You can configure Gentoo and other distros to accept license sets (like OSI or FSF approved licenses) and then still easily use the package manager to permit more on specific packages if necessary.

How's Ubunutu since it's killed Unity? no more spyware shit? or would you take mint over it?

i'm wanting to get back into it and do a vga passthrough setup