Got my first job interview today

>got my first job interview today
>pretty informal, didn't even got asked any technical questions or needed to show my portfolio
>all I'd need to do is to modify wordpress templates
>won't even need to do any backend shit at all, just Front End design
>first month is me working as an intern, after that they said I'd get paid and work full time
Will this shit be easy? Never had any experience with WordPress other than making some shitty blog a few years ago.

You got a job where the first month is as an unpaid intern? You are a special kind of stupid if this is true.

Sounds fishy, they probably hide a heap of crap you have to fix for them. Also

I need an internship to get my CS college degree, so I'll take what I can get desu, even so, if they fuck me over, I can just suck it up for 6 months, then leave while adding a bit of an experience on my resume.

Fair enough.

>pretty informal, didn't even got asked any technical questions
They knew from the look of you that such questions would be a waste of time.

I wonder, would it be possible for a company to rely on the work of “unpaid interns” and always fire them at the end of their iternship so they don’t have to pay them?

doubt it, they'd just get a negative rep, especially if it's a small company

In America yes because most employers are hired "at will" and can be fired "at will".

In a first world country? There's legal protections in place. Wouldnt slide in Europe, UK, Canada, Aus, NZ. White countries basically.

A small startup in the Bay Area I used to work at which was run by Indians was hiring for a machine learning role. As part of the interview process they had the people do an assignment that was related to a problem which they were trying to solve. They ended up hiring an Indian over another candidate who was a postdoc at stanford. I suspect that they used the solutions the other guy turned in.

>trusting indians

I thought cs grads were smart lol

Due to my race it was the best job I could find

Actual dev here!

WordPress is big. You'll be very employable with WordPress for a while unless it goes away which is not likely.

However, you may hate your life working with it. It's honestly kinda garbage. If you wanna get into front end, try for angular or react. Though front end is kinda shit in general. Try for backend.

>Canada
You have no idea just how abusive Canadian employers are, do you?
That shit happens here FAR more than in the US.

*uses a dank as fuck meme*

Whats a better first cert for someone with 2 years exp in IT support wanting to go into sysops or devops?
A+ or AWS sysops associate ?

Oh also, I dont have a degree.

>Whats a better first cert for someone with 2 years exp in IT support wanting to go into sysops or devops?
whatever gets you programming

>A+ or AWS sysops associate
a+ is a joke

wtf is sysops, that's the dumbest thing i've heard next to devops, is it short for systems admin?

If you dont know, you dont have to answer.

well I'm curious, because all devops is is systems administration, some automation and programming experience

sysops sounds like a fancy way to say traditional systems administration

Sysops IS just another way to say sys admin. But thats literally what the AWS cert is called.

Devops, yeah is pretty much system admin but infrastructure within the cloud (IaaS). or using automation and virtual machines .

I would want to focus on AWS though.

Theyre all pretty much the same thing I guess.At least this is what I understand.

makes sense, just another useless abbreviation, should just state systems admin or something along the lines

i primarily see devops as just a sysadmin that can program and preferably fix gaps in manual processes

my job could be classified as devops, though I do much programming than systems work most of the time

Got laid off and cant seem to get another similar position, so I feel like I need a cert of some kind. Just dont know where to start.

dunno, have you tried looking somewhere else, e.g. be willing to move?

>I need an internship to get my CS college degree, so I'll take what I can get desu, even so, if they fuck me over, I can just suck it up for 6 months, then leave while adding a bit of an experience on my resume.

>I have to work for free
>Im in school which I have to pay to go to, and Im going to willingly slave away at some place for half a year for free
>Im going to work 1/120 of my entire lifespan for free
wew lad

Yes, happens in countries with welfare. Like Sweden, Germany, France etc.

What they do is simple, they force you to join the job center and you must do their internships for free to be eligible for welfare (small amount of money for lots of work) and they will always promise you a real job.

You don't know shit about Europe.

It's one month lmao get a grip. Unpaid internships are very normal when it's such small periods of time. They're never full time either and are just as much training as actual working.
"Wew lad" go back.

>doing work for free
>justifying doing work for free
>reusing stale memes that have already been posted recently
i-its training

Unpaid internship are very rare in STEM. OP is a low t numale you lacks either the technical or negotiating skills to secure a paid internship.

LOOOOOL
>*avoids eye contact* c-can I please h-h-have a job I need to do an i-i--intership or else I w-w-ont g-graduate

>t. guy who lifts with his back all day making 12/hr

Unpaid internships are absolutely not the norm especially in STEM and should only be considered as a last resort which even this is arguable when you could just make your own portfolio.

>webdev
Yeah, this is gonna be good

>be me
>be broke
>try to get job at best buy geek squad
>get an interview
>show them my BS in cs, ccna, A+, and linux+
>tell them I will be working on my MCSA and either the security+ or the cisco security cert
>tell them I will work for 15 dollars an hour
>the guy says we will call you back
>no call back and when I call them to follow up they are like sorry we hired someone else.

Jokes on them, I got a job 12 weeks later making 62k a year. OP, honestly just do the fucking internship. It put you a leg up against anyone else who gets out of college with no work experince.

>working for free

If you knew anything about American labor law you'd know that this kind of unpaid internship is illegal, in fact the vast majority of work does not qualify to be an unpaid internship.

I can't speak to other provinces, but all unpaid internships are illegal in BC.

They probably saw you were overqualified and would leave them ASAP.