Is Micro-LED the future?

androidauthority.com/micro-led-display-explained-805148/

Other urls found in this thread:

testufo.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, all the advantages of all the other panel technologies with none of the drawbacks.

Actually, only 1 drawback - cost of producing it today.

The 1 drawback that won't be solved for at least another decade

I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long

Absolutely.

glad I didn't fell for oled meme

Well, that's why it is the future, not today.

Why is it better than OLED?

30 times brighter, less power needed and times longer lifespan. contrast and response times are the same

Brighter, more power efficient (both good for phones), does not have any burn in.

Doesn't decompose, unlike your mom in a few years.

Brightness and power efficiency. Both very welcome.

t. OLED shill

OLED is a fucking meme with unfixable problems.

I still think a VA panel with proper back lighting (edge lit is shit) is the best screen you can get. I say this owning a LG oled

What's wrong with oled? I think oled screens look incredible

>motion blur: the screen

They have unfixable burn in and degrade quickly

I would say so, but even Sony, which is one of the biggest players in this area (already have commercial products using it) caved and started buying LG panels for their OLED lineup. IMO it's at least 5 to 10 years away.

>no screen burn
>perfect blacks
>instant response time and no display lag
>180-degree viewing angles
>all in a flat screen
this kills the crt

Anything organic tends to degrade in time, so quality doesn't stay the same.

And OLEDs degrade pretty fast.

would each LED have its own PWM driver?
That sounds like the controller IC will feature way too many transistors...

Don't see any on my screen

testufo.com/
Do you see a blurry ayy lmao?

Phone posting at the moment, but I've looked at that before I dont really see any blur

t. turbonormie

now design non reflective glass and fill every not emitting light space with vantablack

Honest by the time microleds are viable we'll already have working electroactive quantum dots that are even brighter, are capable of vaster colors, last longer, and so forth.

Electroactive quantum dots are too expensive for mass production.

Not really.

The problem is with the self lighting elements and microLEDs will have the same problem unless they have like 1000x longer lifespan for each element. With a "universal" or common backlight it's not an issue since everything is at the same brightness. But with individually-lit elements brighter elements degrade faster, and certain colors will cause accelerated degradation (and it used to be particularly bad with OLEDs, but Samsung at least counteracted that with pentile arrangements). In order to not have that effect you need each element to last so long that ANY change over a normal life span (a few years) is virtually imperceptible.

Honestly though, it's 2017. It's time for screens that can measure and adjust brightness for each individual pixel.

>what is SED

in patent hell

No, normies wanted cheap shit instead of superior technology.

LCDs are still not cheap tho

When do the patents expire?

When the jews sitting on them die

I remember that thing. What happened?

another sensational new technology nowhere to be seen the micro LEDs

If you actually read the article, this tech makes production of high resolution displays easier (cheaper).
It will be more expensive in the short term as fabs invest in the infrustrure.

The original company sold out the rights and patents to the tech giants of the screen making industry just a few months before test runs of mass manufacture were possible.

We're never going to see SED or a technology like SED outside of really limited, really expensive boutique runs decades from now when competing tech like this "micro"-LED is fully developed and outperforms it.

crtniggers will still find some excuse

>The lack of cathode radiation doesn't have the same warm feeling on my face

>>motion blur: the screen

No fucking joke. I bought a VA panel as my second monitor (so luckily nothing important on it to be hurt by the motion blur) and holy SHIT is it the worst I've ever seen. Drag the mouse around and it's got a visible black streak a good couple centimeters behind it

I'd actually try this on for size, might be able to retire my old tube now

How many PWM drivers do OLED's use?

So will this finally match the response times of TN while providing proper colours and contrast and being capable of HDR?

If so I'll take a WUHD 144Hz one please

no burn-in

Match? It should far exceed the response times of TN.

Source? This user says otherwise and I don't know who to believe

finally, miniature billboard displays

Read the link in the OP

LED's can adjust brightness way faster than it takes for liquid crystals to change state. This should be common knowledge.

When can I expect to buy one for a reasonable price?

considering LEDs are used in optical data transmission systems like TOSLINK (aka "optical audio"), i'd say they're pretty fucking responsive

Will Micro-LED finally get rid of the ghosting I see on my 144Hz monitor? Yes there's pretty much no motion blur but when I move the browser window around I can see a trail behind it.

>30 times brighter
jesus. I already have to turn my monitors to

Then read it as "30 times less power consumption at the same brightness"

Or don't because that's probably an exaggeration. The principle is correct though, and in smartphones it will be great because you'll be able to see your screen perfectly in bright summer noon sunlight while getting longer battery life in every other situation.

>Then read it as "30 times less power consumption at the same brightness"
keep dreaming

Power the (((smart))) functions with a Intel CPU for maximum comfyness.

>cathode radiation
Barely any radiation escapes the enclosure. Most monitors were lined with lead to prevent that from happening

why would you want brighter screens? even a 6 year old tn panel with led backlight is so bright that looking at a white background that most websites have hurts my eyes

It's for portable devices that can be used in full sunlight

Modern high-quality OLEDs are pretty good, but if it's really sunny it can start getting harder to see. To the point where if you're in a southern country and in summer and have no shade, you're not going to see anything.

Doesn't mean shit if they don't fix the oversatuation issue with led. Most are white washed garbage

Probably. Currently it's just a shitty billboard for mice.

Yes refresh on microled begins around 100 microseconds.

The future isn't screens, it's direct neural stimulation.

>Using propietary software on your brain

I'd rather have a screen that reflects light like e-ink instead of one as bright as the sun.

A gorillion times this.

Is there any fundamental reason e-ink can't be made to have an acceptable refresh rate? Because that does sound good.

Although reading a book in full sunlight can be annoying too, so it's not a foolproof solution.

E-ink is made of ink capsules that move around, it's just impossible to have objects physically moving around to be as fast as pure energy.

Punctuate, nigger.

Definitely not as fast, but I'm not asking for 240Hz e-inks. 30Hz would actually probably be reasonable for phones.