>install Dragonfly BSD
>mouse no works

So, this is the power of BSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

pacbsd.org/
zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hidden-in-chip-operating-system/
unix.stackexchange.com/a/180299
openbsd.org/innovations.html
medium.com/netflix-techblog/serving-100-gbps-from-an-open-connect-appliance-cdb51dda3b99
freebsdfoundation.org/testimonial/juniper/
nginx.com/blog/nginx-and-netflix-contribute-new-sendfile2-to-freebsd/
github.com/freebsd/freebsd/search?utf8=✓&q=juniper.net&type=Commits
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BSD is something you use for servers and embedded network controller, not a desktop

FreeBSD is surprisingly nice on a laptop

probably bad VM settings

I fell for the bsd meme too.
>Never again. No matter how hard it gets shilled.

don't be a pussy and learn to use the keyboard

BSDs really don't work too well on desktops.
And I don't see why I'd use any of them over good linux distros either.
I'm still glad they exist, though. The BSD license is nicely flexible, so we'll always have an alternative for Linux if we truly ever need one.

you dont need to put a greater than symbol after EVERY FUCKING THING YOU POST

this
and only if you need a hardened system.
jails still work so much better than what linux offers

Why use BSD anywhere? Not baiting, just genuinely interested. What does it bring to the table compared to linux?

I was just testing.

Haven't used it on a desktop in a couple years, but I imagine for most it's the same as running Linux:
>it's free
>it's a challenge
>fairly stable if you can grok it

Anything it doesn't bring to the table against linux, FreeBSD can do because of the linux compatibility layer, and faster too.

Try FreeBSD or OpenBSD. dragonfly is somewhat obscure even for BSDs

Essentially this. Free and OpenBSD are pretty much in that era where it's mostly usable on the desktop if you can get over small technical hurdles, and excellent on the server.

Linux today is developed primarily by large corporations. Which is fine but it's like being given a steak where they've pre-chewed all of the flavor out of it for you.

If you aren't willing to be challenged and to learn, BSD isn't for you.

It's actually free. As in, free of the GPL virus.

nothing. Just use windows 7 like a normal person

Bsd can run zfs with out a Solaris emulation error and the memory allocation issues that the Linux implementation has.

Bsd also has a lighter kernel that adheres to the Unix mentality more than Linux which has gotten kind of bloated.

*Windows 10

Normies would never be able to install Win7 on any recent PC. (Tho starting in 2020 nobody will.)

>using outdated operating systems
podracing.jpg

If you're actually planning on using BSD os as a desktop get freebsd

No, just the power of OP.

>good ZFS
>Actually stable (unlike Linux which breaks literally every kernel release)
>community of accomplished devs
>actual documentation instead of Pajeets: lol reinstall ubbontu
>fast
>integrated design
It's far better for production servers that will last for more than a few months.

For any first-timer, you're right. OP should listen to you.

Arch users can try PacBSD which comes with pacman instead of Freepkg (although FreeBSD's pkg is a lot better than apt and rpm shit).

pacbsd.org/

PacBSD also has OpenRC so that's good.

>>mouse no works
that's probably due to wayland. try another bsd m8

ZFS is the best filesystem. Linux filesystems suck shit and I had experienced corruptions with ext4 but that's likely systemd's fault and when mainline kernel started to become shittier (mounting external hard drives with write cache turned on! lmao)

BSD is god tier on servers
Linux is pozzed with systemd and pulse and exploitable dependency hell (eventually CIA niggers will develop dependencies to implement backdoors among all distros)
Linux audio is now shit thanks to pulse poettering
Meanwhile BSD just werks (but not on all hardware like Linux megablob collection).
Secure as fuck and implements secure shit seriously.
>muh cuck license
At least you'll be getting a full-featured OS unlike on linux where every other distro is either made by hobby groups or as testbed for enterprise cuckery (suse,red hat,buntu)

The cuck license doesn't really hold true because thousands of Chink companies are violating the GPL and all Loonix contributors are doing is crying about it.

The BSD license doesn't need to 'force' companies to contribute, they do it themselves so they don't need to maintain huge patch lists. It's not as good as GPL (Apple, Intel ME's MINIX), but it ensures that BSD remains relevent despite the lower market share.
Pic is funny regardless though.

you probably need to learn to write english then you need to enable the mouse daemon

i know you did in freebsd

GPL is not about forcing contributions, it is about disallowing abusive behaviour towards users. China is a bad example because people living there have no freedom anyway.

zdnet.com/article/minix-intels-hidden-in-chip-operating-system/
Is this the power of the cuc- er, BSD license?

This
Imagine companies distributing anime-themed Linux distros under GPL. Would remain a common-ownership OS.

Now imagine them doing that with FreeBSD. Same OS you run but their changes would be locked away from you.

har har, I installed sumfing bettur than winblows 10
uh oh, mi mouse not wurk

You could use BSD and not contribute any code to it that's BSD licence.
If FreeBSD's userbase was larger, you could get away with forking it into a GPL licence fork.

har har, I installed sumfing bettur than loonix homosx 10
uh oh, mi updates installin in middle of mi twitch gaymur streemin

how du I chenj updoot settins, fren?

You can't, Windows 10 doesn't let you.
I don't know what kind of Mac-tier normie retard can't fix his own computer issues though.

If you were born before 2000:
>DOS is too hard, you gotta know how to 'program' to use it

wut is aktif our an banwiff limit

There is a weeaboo themed Linux distro.

No there isn't, it's just Debian or Niggerbuntu image with a theme change made by two people and probably has malware injected.
Don't fuck with these shitty "distros".

Dozens actually

GPL people always act like this is a good thing, and like it's somehow impossible for people to contribute back with a more permissive license.

If you *force* people to contribute back their otherwise proprietary shit, it may surprise you to find out that a lot of what they'd be contributing will be a bunch of sloppy hacks, or a bunch of nonsense that's completely irrelevant to most users of the software, thus adding a bunch of unnecessary bloat. And linux is most certainly bloated.

Meanwhile, even if you don't force people to contribute back, many will do have the incentive to do so if they want to keep their shit up to date, because it's a lot more work to keep a bunch of hacky patches around that you need to apply and hope they don't break anything every release. Integrating your code into the upstream project makes it easier for companies to unload a lot of unnecessary burden, giving them incentive to contribute back. But since they aren't *forced* to, they won't need to bother sending back every trivial little thing under the sun that would add needless bloat. No to mention the upstream project could always reject such "contributions" anyway if they don't provide any value for most users.

BSD-like licenses allow projects to stay more closely aligned with the interests of their users, whether hobbyist or corporate. The GPL on the other hand, is only concerned with keeping the project's code open, even if it hinders the users or the project's prospects.

Not talking about contribution. I'm talking about preventing people from taking software with collective ownership and releasing (and popularizing) versions that you cannot modify as you have with previous interations.
I've said in this thread the the BSD license is the best way for BSD to actually get patches given their smaller market share.

>Killing off bios will kill off windows 7
Windows 7 supports UEFI, hell Vista SP1 supports UEFI.
There is no special process for UEFI on Windows 7 just make install media using GPT instead of MBR

DragonflyBSD is a niche OS that exists mainly for the developer to develop his Hammer file system on.
Not really your first choice as a go-to all-rounder.

>Using DragonflyBSD
There's your problem. Use FreeBSD or OpenBSD if you want a beginner-friendly BSD

Why would you support (((corporations)))? In any case, licenses should be as close to public domain as possible so we don't need teams of (((lawyers))) whenever we read or write code. Thus, unlike the GPL, stuff like MIT, ISC, BSD is better, but not for any reason you mentioned. I'd like megacorps to not affect my code in any way, thanks.

Windows 7 does NOT have full support for UEFI.
Specifically, it requires a CSM to boot, which is NOT included in "full", i.e. class 3 UEFI. The CSM is to be obsoleted in 2020, per some Intel reports.

The GPL is a seemingly legal price-fixing scheme.

GHOSTBSD IS FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Umm sweaty, BSD stands for:

>Badly
>Setup
>Desktop

BSD is funny. For example OpenBSD has a fuckton of libraries and amazing functions used in cryptography, and yet default terminal doesn't support Unicode.
Also, thanks to BSD license, big corporations just take the code and give nothing in exchange, example: PlayStation OS. Sure, this makes it more "free", but yet this it why BSD is so obsolete and lacks modern functions.

At least BSD's kernel doesn't suck so much as Linux's one. Better code quality because less code and less functions.

>unicode

Fuck off with your emojis and moonrunes, OpenBSD is white man software.

>yet default terminal doesn't support Unicode
Do you have something to back that up? OpenBSD only supports Unicode. There's evidence of this working years ago.
>big corporations just take the code and give nothing in exchange
That's alright! No-one needs or wants Enterprise Quality code. Do you want BSDs to turn into Windows?

I'm sorry for you and your country. You know, the Earth is not the USA only. There are like few hundred other languages than English, plus dingbats for readable curses GUI.
I cannot input unicode characters from keyboard, such as åäæéñç. Don't tell me this is not important.

>I cannot input unicode characters from keyboard, such as åäæéñç. Don't tell me this is not important.
unix.stackexchange.com/a/180299
Try again. You can.

the real question is, why wouldn't you support small businesses? they're the ones that are affected the most and would have the most to lose from the GPL. All the big corporations have more than enough resources to just work around those kinds of restrictions if they want to, so talking about a puny license influencing them is irrelevant.

>I'd like megacorps to not affect my code in any way, thanks
because RedHat/Canonical/Novell/the NSA/etc don't affect anything in the Linux world, right? That shit's gonna happen regardless, and licenses can't realistically do much about that. Purely free large scale software devoid of any kind of commercial/government influence is a myth. Therefore, I'd rather have the option of either starting my own companies on my own terms, or at least being able to support smaller companies that may actually stand a chance of sharing some of the same values as me.

>this it why BSD is so obsolete and lacks modern functions.
Riiiight. That's why BSD's aren't a hotbed for the development of significant new features like ZFS, HAMMER fs, jails, libressl, pledge, etc, etc...
openbsd.org/innovations.html

>the real question is, why wouldn't you support small businesses?
Capitalism and open source are enemies, if I support minicorps, the end result is the same.

>>install Dragonfly BSD
>>mouse no works
You missed that part in the middle of your story:
>Don't RTFM
If you want a computer that works out of the box, get a Packard Bell running Windows or something you filthy normie.

No, plain open source is just the equivalent of shared Infrastructure in a capitalist system. What you're referring to, is very specifically COPYLEFT software.

Mouse doesn't work in VM? PEBCAK

I'd figure out how to use my virtual machine software first, then BSD.

That looks surprisingly good. I'm getting the iso right now

pkgin > any other BSD binary package manager

Yes, allowing anyone the opportunity to benefit from your software is the power of the BSD license.

>installed freebsd
>just werks

great!

Still barely anyone try to benefit from *BSD, while Linux literally everywhere.

Okay?

you're not meant to use the console, you know

bump

install trueOS

>virtualbox

Still, best of luck user-chan.

on the flipside, you get corporations like Netflix and Juniper that have contributed changes back to FreeBSD and/or employ FreeBSD developers.

medium.com/netflix-techblog/serving-100-gbps-from-an-open-connect-appliance-cdb51dda3b99

freebsdfoundation.org/testimonial/juniper/

Thanks, desu.

>employ FreeBSD developers
They don't, at least not the way they should, but when Netflix started to use freebsd and loonix they wanted to use zfs for even lower cost as the average solaris user do. It's about paying peanuts for good software raid, nothing else.
Juniper is a literally a botnet company.

No thanks, I like my computer to actually be mine, not Micro$soft's

nice 2048 gb ram

GiB, user.

Netflix has been contributing back to networking stack for their OpenConnect box. see:
nginx.com/blog/nginx-and-netflix-contribute-new-sendfile2-to-freebsd/

>literally a botnet company
what's wrong with Juniper? their products are solid, I use JunOS every day. and btw:
github.com/freebsd/freebsd/search?utf8=✓&q=juniper.net&type=Commits