/wt/ - Watch Thread

Digital watches edition.
This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=W4KWg16TRss

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thewatchsite.com/files/A Journey in Time.pdf
pastebin.com/PzQ5NMnr
twitter.com/AnonBabble

any good reliable ebay sellers of decent vintage seikos to recommend? thanks

Is Citizen viewed as worse than Seiko? I want a solar powered watch.

In terms of Solar watches, they are the same.

I don't like the stock strap on the Alpinist

Anyone recommend nice straps to replace it with? Bonus if also waterproof strap to go with 200m WR.

I fucking recommended you good straps last thread.

I'm pretty sure the only non-solar ones Citizen makes are cheapo quartz ones.

All right, you faggots got me thinking of the Seiko SARB033. Aside with the Seikomale memes and the whole discussion going on in /wt/ for the last few weeks, is the Seiko SARB033 a good choice? I've heard phrases like 'poor mans Rolex' and shit, I just want a relatively precise and not too expensive modern winder.

Took a new picture of my Seiko in the daylight.

Here's my digital watch!

Has anyone read pic related?
I hate reading pdfs and would actually prefer to order a hardcopy.

thewatchsite.com/files/A Journey in Time.pdf

>inb4 seiko male
I'm also interested in reading any books about the history of horology and known brands without getting too technical like George Daniels, so feel free to suggest

He doesn't have the original digital watch.

I use the lower-end for work. The one without the illuminator display!

Brown EULIT Palma, Fluco shell cordovan straps in brown, Strapcode oyster.

He doesn't use the original version of the "original" digital watch.

Yeah I have this one , but I thought the illuminator display would make more sense for a modern LCD display.

He can't read time in the dark.

Yes, I've read it. Lots of good info in there, but there are also a bunch of online sources about Seiko's history that are useful that I will try and dig up for you later today if you are interested.

The SARB033/035 are very good value for money. Some people find them boring looking, others complain about the lumed hands, but that is a matter of personal taste.

It has a light, it's just not as good as the Illuminator model.

but what makes it so good? i dont understand

The led is bright enough to use it when it is actually dark enough for you to need it. Check mate.

that dial is beautiful

Sale's are surprisingly slow recently.

Either that or my camera work is crap.

Either a Green or a Brown/Dark brown Colareb strap.

Alternatively a decent leather zulu strap or perhaps a a Miltat or Gekota bracelets that were made to fit the 017.

There is a very interesting book that i can't seem to find anymore, about the manufacturing of Soviet watches that i can't seem to find.

I may have it somewhere on my old phone or laptop, including a semi-translated version. Luckily i don't need the translated version and it's a good way to keep my Russian in check.

It has very good external finishing, a sapphire crystal and a decent movement, and a decent bracelet for $360. Compared to what you can get from other brands for $360 it's pretty clear that the SARB is one of the best value classic steel sports watches on the market.

Omega's A Journey Through Time is cool

I love cheap Casio watches (F-91W, F-94W).

>Void
Good taste. I am just briefly lurking because the OP pic was cool. I am just a pleb who wears a Pebble 2. I had the more aesthetically pleasing Pebble Time Steel in gold with a metal wristband, but both the band and watch broke. The band is missing a piece and I'd need a jeweler to repair it probably, the watch had a button that got stiff and hard to press, and the vibration stopped working at one point. I haven't yet developed an interest in more traditional watches.

What's the cheapest price I could pick one of these up?

This is fucking sexy. I don't mind getting steel or gold but I want a no-date KS. I'm looking on buyee atm

You should be able to get one in pretty good condition in the five to six hundred USD range with patience

pic related or similar

What is /wt/ opinion on La Magique? Also can you guys recommend cheaper watches that resemble this one? Thanks.

Just keep in mind that the 45xx movement will need more frequent servicing than a 28,800 bph movement would, and that the 45xx series movement has a bit of a reputation for being more likely to eventually need donor parts than most Daini Seikosha movements of the period because this movement designed solely around accuracy.

There is a cheaper option you may wish to consider, though the movement in that alternative is certainly not nearly up to the level of the 45xx. The Suwa Seikosha produced King Seiko 5621 models have no-date and have that KS look, but the 56xx is fairly pedestrian compared to the 45xx.

Is this ok??

Strapcode super jubilee.

> Thinnest mystery dial ever made
I guess that's cool. Not familiar with them but seems they have a reputation for not being super reliable.

Get an SEN437

Fuck, forgot pic

Mystery dial mechanism

I fell in love with this watch ever since I watched Scarface.

lol gay

Nice

dont reply to him please user

I'm still fucking waiting for my omega catalogue

Some pictures from

How accurate is a watch like that?

Does it keep time as well as a Rolex?

Why not? Just asking about a watch

Dinosaur (precursor to the magique)

he always does this shit - he's trolling
leave him and dont respond

How is a watch trolling

if you've been here for more than 5 minutes you'd understand
lurk more

oh man, this is super nice
thanks a lot user

no problem

I don't get it

It's a nice watch

there was a key phrase in my post, i'll repeat it for you
>lurk more

I've already lurked user

took 4 months for my Glashutte Original catalogue to arrive. JLC one came the quickest and only took a week

horseshit

>Does it keep time as well as a Rolex?

nigger that is a $250 seiko fucking quartz

it's nowhere near the watch a Rolex is, get fucking real

why don't you like Seikos?

Looking at a couple of watches, what do you guys think about the Orient Bambino V2 (rose gold hands and numerals), Orient Symphony, and Vostok Komandirskie. Looking to get a white face watch. Any other recommendations for under 200?

are you being a moron on purpose?

>Nice
thanks plox

Light brown straps work so well with the green face.

/fa/

Okay what is this? It's dope as fuck

>are you being a moron on purpose?
why are you so salty

yeah hold on let's never talk about watch aesthetics because it's fashion

>mfw morons keep feeding trolls (You)s instead of just ignoring them

>yeah hold on let's never talk about watch aesthetics because it's fashion
will a nice light brown strap work with my skinny jeans ?

XD

i never said that

It's some novelty watch I saw in the window of a diamond district store. It uses a glass disk to advance the baseball that counts the seconds - you can see a spec of dust on the disk following the ball about 4 seconds behind. The bat I assume is hooked directly to the pallet fork.

It's not exactly the same kind of mystery dial as the omega above or the original Cartier mystery dials - it has more in common with my borel.

I think there are a few new fags in here.

Some who apparently don't know shit about watches.

Here, I dug up the pastebin I made a while ago which has a bunch of information about the 52xx series movement that isn't available elsewhere as a cohesive whole:
pastebin.com/PzQ5NMnr

Have you ever seen a one-piece case 5256? Mine has a screw-off back

All 5256's are screw back, as far as I know. It's one of the reasons I wanted a 5256 rather than a 5245/5246 when I was looking for one of these, in addition to the 5256 KS Specials having been adjusted significantly more at the factory than they were theoretically supposed to be.

Probably 90% of it is samefagging, best to just ignore completely.

>Some who apparently don't know shit about watches.
what would you like to know?

i can help you with any questions

>get a little curious about tgv or whatever his name is because of shitposting
>check out one video
Jesus, the cringe is too much. How can people even watch that guy unironically?

Best watch for the money. Another one is the Hamilton Khaki Field but I didn't find it as beautiful as the SARB. Remember, the watch works and its well made, is always a matter of preference, go for the one you like, not the one another thinks is the best for you

>tfw you knew the protest was today at 12:00pm but your slavshit vostok says the current time is 10am

kek

who /spedmaster/ here?

loose some weight

The guy who doesn't like your Omega here, why didn't you get a tv dial one? It looks a lot better.

While I don't necessarily agree that the TV dial model looks better, the reason I got this one is that I found it listed on eBay more than 10 years ago by someone who listed at just a "vintage Omega Speedmaster" without stating anywhere in the listing that it was a Lemania 5100/Omega 1045 version. As a result I snagged it for $400 at a time when Mark 4.5s in similar condition were typically going for $1,000+.

I work for a jewelry wholesale facility when i'm off semesters.

Little business deal reward here. Have a couple of watches to choose from but I narrowed it to these two Seikos??

Need a neutral opinion
Left or right?

the right one

Right for sure.

What strap for this?

Stock.

check out my lume figgits

You shut your mouth right now.

You don't talk like that about our lord and savior Tristano!

Doesn't Quartz keep track of time better than a Rolex though?