EXtern OS

Electron apps are bad enough, but this guy wrote an entire linux desktop with web technologies.

Not to mention it looks about as modern as windows vista. Glass effects just look terrible these days.

Is there anything redeeming about this OS?

Other urls found in this thread:

externos.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Forgot to post link, externos.io/

javascript was a mistake.

rip english

This is insane. This is why, despite all the hardware improvements, PCs are still lag-ridden, latency out of the ass, slow as shit, buggy, insecure garbage. This is the mentality that's responsible for the sorry state of computing. Just add more layers. Just reinvent something with 10 times more resource requirements because
>it's the future

Fuck this.

GNOME 3 is basically already that

I think they only implemented the CSS rendering engine in gnome, so not as bad as using frickin javascript.

Still, that's half the reason why I moved from elementary OS to void + i3wm

REEEEEEEEEEE
I fucking hate the world
Computers could have stopped getting more powerful in fucking 2005 and if things were optimized to an acceptable degree everything would be the fucking same "web app" "Javoo script"

The extensions are js
It probably goes deeper but I never really checked.

>it's the future

It's simple. Just make something shiny and new, people will want it.
Doesn't run? Just wait until technology accelerates it to the bare functioning minimum.
Unsafe? We'll eventually patch it later.

That's okay as long as it's free, except for the customers time waste.
The real problem is paid programmers doing this for things you actually have to buy and/or use. And the almost bigger problem: People doing nothing about that.

And they HAVE of power. Even over things like Microsoft's forcing things out of support to buy more botnet. Like they were forced to make patches for WinXP in the wanacry attack because it was (and is) still in widespread use in specialized devices.

They should make a public wall of shame for every codemonkey who ever used chromium for their application interface

this fucking fake ass intro video

>3gb ram just to run DE
no

For a Glory of Satan.

>cannot run on VM
Dropped

they used CSS to design elementary OS's ui? srsly?

Yes, everything gnome3 is designed with CSS. But in their defense, CSS is not that difficult to render, javascript on the other hand is a nightmare.

Xfce is plenty shiny already and doesn't run like dogshit

We have magnitudes more computational power than we had two decades ago and the vast majority of it is completely wasted because of sheer programmer incompetence and disinterest in any sort of optimization. JavaScript is a fucking epidemic.

I blame bootcamps and universities switching to teaching Python

This is why I run Solus with Budgie desktop.

I'm with ya
Fuck bloat
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

I prefer rustfags over node boys

lol RAMlet stop being a poorfag

64GB is the MINIMUM memory you should have.

Just because we could
doesn't mean we should...

fuck bloat

The bloat happened before then. That was just a symptom of a far larger problem that was already set in motion.

Look at what Amiga was doing hardware about a quarter as good in raw power as a IBM-like.

Nice try Samsung.

RAM is there to be used.

Free RAM is wasted RAM.

And if it is now necessary RAM, just buy more :^)

I'm running a 2700k, lots of RAM and a decent GPU and shit still lags and hangs in some websites, twitter in particular grinds to a halt if you scroll down too far.
How the fuck do they screw up so badly?

It's really funny that I use an old T60 for most of my computing and it sounds like people who spent 10x the money on a computer have a similar experience to me.

it's not a humorous kind of "funny" though, more the kind of funny that people try and reach for in terrible situations.

are you sure it's not satire?

Can never be sure these days.

Some shit is so bad you can't be brute forced no matter how much money you throw at it.

You can download it and test for yourself. There are reviews of it on jewtube already as well

>Minimum Requirements: 4 GiB Ram
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Is it librebooted, user?

The ram was not necessary before.
Programs have become ARTIFICIALLY bloated to make more be required.

>just buy more :^)
no

But most people don't know until they've already just put more cash into the pockets of hardware manufacturer's pockets. I don't think this is a big conspiracy, but it's hard not to rule it out considering ground-level requirements haven't changed too much for about 10 years if you don't artificially increase them.

>all the assblassted ramlet pclets ITT
This is the new minimum of computing power, deal with it. Engineers in 60's would've viewed your ebin bloatless rice as wasting resources. it's just logical evolution of computing.

What's annoying is that for all the increased system draw of software it feels like the power of the software is plummeting downwards; it's doing less in terms of actual function.

I kinda want to try this

>it's just logical evolution of computing.

No it isn't. "Do less, consume more" is the creed of a lethargic and wasteful society.

What bothers me most is that you can't get away with using a HDD these days, you have to get an SSD unless you want 10+ second launch times for your web browser and so on.
This shouldn't be normal, I've got older PCs laying around, I know how Windows XP runs on a single core computer with a regular HDD.
As long as you use period correct software things are not any worse than they are now, despite the massive difference in computing power and storage speed.

The trend is sacrificing usability for perceived simplicity, stripping away features to appear minimalist and simple.

when will you ramlets fuck off?
you literally don't understand shit about anything.

there is no fucking bloat.

But if you want to remain networked to the larger world, you have to keep in step. Were it the case that computers could still be regarded as "whole computers" while disconnected from the web, there'd be no problem with using 10-15 year old hardware and software (if it works for you), but the artificial increase on many things is the move towards an online-only world. If you had a computer that never accessed the web it would almost be regarded as a waste, in terms of social opinion.

>there is no fucking bloat.
Nu-coder spotted.

If something is functionally inferior, but has a higher power cost, then it is bloated. No one would accept this for cars or appliances, in fact the trend is moving the other way, where people are looking for efficient and lighter cars and appliances.

>haha there's nothing wrong with my new car using 10x the fuel and going half the speed
>stop being a tanklet

there is no higher power cost you fucking moron. that's the power of modern computing. at worst it just leads to more memory usage, which means shitall anyhow since it's easy to purge vfs cache and currently unexecuted JIT compiled code.

These computers are time capsules of sorts. It's a good reminder to see how the more things change the more they remain the same.
I also keep an old single core Android phone running a very stripped down 2.3.6 and it somehow manages to keep all its apps in RAM switching between them instantly, unlike my current phone running 6.1

This.

>it's not bloated because my gaymen rig can run it

best part about that analogy is that it's understated. Is some cases, severly so

>that's the power of modern computing

Glass effects still look pretty cool imo but this webs hit needs to fuck off.
I wish the web would just die already and we could go back to native programs connecting over internet like the good old days but like modern style or some shit i dunno. Fuck the web, it was a mistake.

But muh shittier less efficient car saves the engineers time by not having to actually engineering jack shit and just kludging together premade garbage cause they're actually 10th wave feminists HAES dykes and don't know how to engineer but muh diversity the real issue in automotive industry and engineering is lack of muh womyns!

Fucking shitlord.

I have had this installed for around a week. Its a dream to use to be honest.

>there is no higher power cost you fucking moron.

Yes there is you fucking nu-coder. What do you think your fans are spinning up for when you load a heavy web page or launch an application? Try and run a "modern" OS or DE on a machine that runs XP or KDE 3, or GNOME 2 fine. See how slow it is? And for what?

>that's the power of modern computing
Which we're not even scratching the surface of because of your shitty bloat.

> at worst it just leads to more memory usage
Yes, it fucking sucks, right?

>herp durp ram just gets freed up
Not if it's absolutely necessary for the running of the computer or software. If you end those "web content" processes Firefox makes then it crashes the tab its attached to.

Curious, what's your rig?

The diversity people are the ones perpetuating this shit dumbass. So concerned with muh wamens, that they become too lazy to optimise their fucking software.

>literally stealing photo from macbook promo materials and photoshopping out all he ports and screen bezel

what the fuck are you talking about? I have never had an SSD and firefox opens in 1 second at the most. Other than boot times I can't see a reason to actually get one. (other than noise, 4 drives get loud)

>wtf is sarcasm lmao who knows XDDD

>I have never had an SSD and firefox opens in 1 second at the most
Yeah sure, once it's already loaded in RAM...

and xp era computing was an unusable mess of useless abstractions, shitty layouts, security risks and slow and convoluted IPC.

stop being a nostalgia faggot.

"heavy" websites are more of a symptom of trying to monetize, people not doing surveys and giving companies feedback on their shitty sites and products. that's entirely unrelated to things like animations, grid systems or any other stupid ass "bloated" feature you can pull out of your ass.

>sent on www

Fucking hell, we have to kill this shit ASAP.

fine I just checked and its more like 2 seconds but I use that tab saving feature

>Processor & Memory

>IntelĀ® CeleronĀ® 64-bit 1.2 GHz (or equivalent) or better.
>4 GiB of Ram (System Memory).
Did he mistype that? Or does it actually run with 500 megabytes? That's not too bad for such a tiny project.

Stop trying to change the subject. You said there's no power cost increase, I said to try and run a machine from this time with modern software.

And as for the issue with heavy websites, that's only half the story, since even when using a site with NOTHING but plain HTML modern browsers draw a shit tonne of resources.

And for all the talk about how modern browsers are more like OSs, it doesn't include the most obvious feature of an OS: not loading every fucking thing at all times.

this

>You said there's no power cost increase

and there isn't. I'm more than capable of using chromium and electron apps and still retain a bettery life far exceeding any meme bullshit nostalgia computer you had.

It's also a culture of rolling betas and experimentation, and development for the sake of development.

We're obviously talking about processing power you total chump.

>electron

Haha, I was right. You ARE a nu-coder.

FX-9590 - Corsair 110i LC
16GB DDR3 - CL9 1333mhz
GTX 970 4GB

"processing power?"

what are you even saying anymore?

I thought it looked nice for a bit but the more I think about it the more I hate it

My low-end laptop really struggles with the web. Emacs runs fine though, and is arguably more powerful.

>Not to mention it looks about as modern as windows vista. Glass effects just look terrible these days.

it looks better then anything you neckbeards could come up with

autistic opinions nobody gives a shit about

>64GB is the MINIMUM memory you should have.

16gb is minimum and this is the worst, browsers eat shit like crazy

>16gb is minimum
crazy, I avoid electron shit and somehow 2gb is fine

>chromium
>electron
>apps
get the fuck out

>inb4 people get the idea that this can all be faster if everything uses a single browser process with multiple threads
>inb4 we're back to 1970 again but the browser is the gui and part of the kernel

I'm strangely OK with this.

One aspect of all this bloat that other people haven't outright mentioned (but have gotten close to) is that it increases the requirement of BASIC tasks worst of all. That you need a powerful computer for 4K video or production suites, or video games, is obvious. The real issue is that it also increases the requirements for things that have not gotten much more complex for about 10 (if not more) years. I'm talking about things like e-mail clients, word processors (already bloat by nature themselves, but that's for another thread), and just managing windows and processes. Someone who wants to do each of these with modern versions would need quite a powerful computer, especially as office software makes the jump to web browsers.

>the gui is part of the kernel
ew

>a LISP machine uses less power than an XML parser

What a time to be alive.

Is this that kind of OS that looks absolutely dreadful as long as I open a single application that isn't bundled with the OS?

It makes sense in a lot of ways. The main tradeoff is that GUI has to be flexible and secure, but with well enough defined boundaries (and the DOM is just that) it's not that much of a problem.

I'd be OK with that if it's drawn using kernel commands, like how Workbench was just telling the Amiga to 'put a box here and write "OK" in it'.

Only an issue because so many developers treat software as an art project.

With webassembly coming along, it does seem like the one stack hourglass to rule them all is web technologies.

no, don't give them ideas

>give them
It's already over user. You could have stopped this.

Tried the alpha. High CPU usage and 3 GB memory usage. Slow as shit. I'll try again at beta.

no I couldn't, I did everything I could and it wasn't enough

Don't give them clicks.

The worst part about all this JS (and other) bloat is that it's a total reversal of the terminal system of computing, where it's totally possible that a machine hosting a site is less powerful than the system required to browse it.

dat qutebrowser

>cant install
>cant run in VM
straight outta trashton