/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your one-off questions that don't deserve their own thread here. Try and research it first if you can.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows
brownsville.craigslist.org/sys/d/gaming-pc/6397511755.html
tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid
a.4cdn.org/v/catalog.json'
cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/'
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tl;dr audio is fucked, plz respond

Is there a way to have two different video tracks in one file and easily switch back and forth between them?

I used mkvmerge to do this but in VLC when i switch to video track 2 it opens a separate video window and I don't want that.

How do you organize your files, user? Specifically stuff you download. Do you just keep them in the Downloads folder or do you put them somewhere else?

Somewhere along the line I became too self-conscious about it and now I can't let go.

Just recently bought a lenovo ideapad 320, it has Windows 10 and would like to downgrade to 7 or 8.1, but the lenovo support site only lists drivers for 10. How do I find all the drivers I need?

What happen to callisot threads

>Do you just keep them in the Downloads folder
Most stuff yes except pictures. I have them set to be downloaded directly to my desktop, so i'm forced to think about where to put them, lest i want my desktop to be cluttered with Sup Forums memes

re-install windows

>stuffing the desktop with anything other than daily used apps and shortcuts or projects you're working on currently

You should be sent to the Gulag

Huh, strange. I use Waterfox too and have 8GB RAM. I don't have this problem here since I have upgraded my RAM.

Since it's exclusive to one browser, have you updated your Waterfox? Because it has received an update since some days ago, and I'm too lazy to update my browser. If you updated your browser to the latest one, try downgrading it to the previous version.

Does the Windows 10 screen screen scale function affects videogames?
Everything in my laptop looks tiny as fuck unless I set it to at least 125% but I'm not sure if it will affect fullscreen or borderless windowed games

I've got a spare ssd.

Would it be feasible to use it as an external usb "flash drive" with a case?

Is there a definitive guide on how to dualboot Arch and Windows 7? All the stuff I'm finding isn't really helping

Don't see why not, but I think selling it and getting a USB drive of the same size or bigger would be easier

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

Creating a program in Java where I have to average numbers until I type "-1" which breaks the program. However, -1 is added in as a number which fucks up my calculation. How do I fix this?

while (num!=-1){
for(sNum=1;sNum>0;sNum++){

System.out.println("Please enter student "+ sNum + " score");
num=input.nextInt();
total=total+num;
total=total;
pw.println("Student "+sNum +":"+ num);
if (num==-1){
break;
}

}

}

average=total/10;
pw.println("Average: "+ average);
fw.close();
pw.close();

What could be causing usb over current on my computer? When I connect my keyboard it works normally, when I plug my mouse the keyboard disconnects and none of them works. If I connect only the mouse it doesn't work, I have tested two different mouses and both did the same thing

you already have that line
if (num==-1){break;}

That is exactly what you need, but you need to put it after the input.nextInt(); line, and before the total=total+num; line.
How did you write the rest of the program even though you made a mistake like this?

Just validate the input with an if after you ask the user to input a number
if number is

The reason I want use the ssd is because random writes and reads are much faster.

The closest usb flashdrive I found with good speeds was a sandisk extreme and the ssd is still faster.

I posted a couple of weeks ago my 1700 X370 build for asistance IN getting W7 and now I'm back. Building for a first timer and just want assurance of some things. Thanks since Assrocks MOBO guide is shite

total = total;
but why

How do I make my raw HEVC file playable/seekable?

First here, this cable goes over here right?

Also is it okay for my MOBO cable to feel more snug on one side or look a bit deeper than the other? I've pulled in its in but pushing more doesn't appear to give more (not want to break MOBO).

What is this and why is it still coming up after taking the recommended actions multiple times?

that's your pirated windows activator

Is it viable to learn programming through self-study well enough to where you can gain employment?

I kind of figured it might be, but any idea why it's only started being flagged fairly recently? Is there any chance it's actually a different hacktool I got from elsewhere that could have an adverse effect? Also why is it not being removed when I try to let Windows Defender remove it?

I want to watch DVDs with different region codes than my own (2). What is a good DVD player that can do this?

>How did you write the rest of the program even though you made a mistake like this?

It didn't occur to me why I needed to place the break statement before the input line. Took your advice, works perfectly now. Thanks.

Yeah, stupid error.

brownsville.craigslist.org/sys/d/gaming-pc/6397511755.html

shit deal?

I'm wanting to buy a dual cpu C612 motherboard to build a NAS and two VMs (A "mac" and a "gaming rig" both with PCI-E passtrought)
I'm doing okay?
How much to the massive Haswell-E/Broadwell-E server decomission?

Well I have a kindle keyboard 3g and I wanna get a back up ebook reader just in case it decides to give up the ghost. I've been searching the web and I found this ebook reader from sony for pretty cheap in most sites. Would this be worth getting as a backup annons?

Which is more powerful for web browsing and playing games: Xperia X or Galaxy Tab A (2017)?

They're both $300, which is my budget for a gift.

Sleep tight mr. pupper

best way to protect agianzst viruses? besides common sense virtual machines and linux

Is my second monitor rip? It's pretty old.
The light is orange like its in sleep mode, but blinks and has a ticking noise.
It usually took like 15 minutes to turn on, but it's light was blue and breathing.

Looks fine

bad power supply/caps, probably
it might be fixable

Is it illegal to check out another man's equipment while at the urinals?

Do you need to know a lot about repairing computers to get a job at a repair shop? I feel like I know a bit, but not everything, so I don't feel too confident in my ability to repair computers.

No it's expected

Doubt it. Not sure about how it is at a dedicated repair shop but most of the services I see advertised at places like geek squad & staples are super basic shit with exorbitant prices attached, like $80 to run a defrag tool or $50 to run system restore or some shit. Any actual problems with hardware will most likely just have you sending the stuff off to some other location or to some guy who actually knows what they're doing, you'd just be running idiot-proof diagnostics and basic windows tools for people who don't know any better.

No, just very homosexual.

pretty sure knowing jack shit about technology is a requirement for a computer repair job

I was typing something on pastebin, using Chrome, and sneezed and accidentally pressed a key, I'm not sure which.. The pastebin tab now appears like pic related. I tried inspecting element to look for the text in the text box, but I can't see it - I figure text boxes don't have that kind of support.

Is there some way I can retrieve it? It was fairly long and I've been writing for about an hour. I guess typing it there was a mistake and I should have just done it in notepad first.

What causes the massive file sizes of PDF's? Or more specifically, why does a set of images that are 17MB turn into 48MB file when put together as a PDF?

could be;
- the images aren't pdf-compatible, and are converted to a lossless/larger format
- the tool you're using is dumb and converts them even if they are pdf-compatible

Are jpegs PDF compatible? I resaved one of the images as a PNG and that's definitely where the size is coming from. I guess it's just the programs result of selecting "best" quality.

yes, jpeg is pdf-compatible, a set of jpeg's converted to pdf should be approximately the same size

Why do i have to pay for Red Hat, if it's based on linux which is open source and under the GNU gpl. I'm not against it, I just want to know how it werks.

Anyone know where the Limited/Full RGB setting would be on an old LG TV? Only setting I can find related to this is "black level" which only goes high/low and setting it high just makes everything look super washed out (maybe I need to recalibrate brightness/contrast and stuff after changing it?) There's a RGB/PC ssetting at the very bottom but its' greyed out and might onyl be relevant to actual RGB input? Not sure.

How do I make the most efficient use of IP addresses in this network, future expansion is not required. The network address is 10.30.0.0/16 255.255.0.0

It's still open source. You can sell anything under GPL, but you still have to share the shit code for free.

You don't really pay for RedHat the operating system, companies pay for RedHat professional support. Fedora is very literally RedHat with a faster release cycle and community support.

Anyone?

if you want rhel for free, get centos, it's literally the same thing with the branding changed
it's not so much the software you pay for, it's the support, if you have a problem, they're obligated to help you

Ah, nevermind sorry I'm stupid.

since it's greyed out, are you sure your pc is sending the tv a full range signal?

were you able to fix the problem??

The dvd format supposedly had support for multiple angles. So look into that?

Or write your own html5/javascript video player for use in a browser.

Sometimes my pc (windows 7) refuses to go to sleep. Screen shuts off and stuff, but fans and all the "pc" sounds are still running. Goes on forever if I don't manually turn it off. Cause I can't interact with the pc in this state, it's like limbo or fucking purgatory.
Something it goes to the login window, or whatever, verily buggy, black black shit can only see the bar you write password in before everything appears.
Is it ram?

Downloads go onto a separate partition called Unimportant to remind me that it's not backed up and it doesn't matter if all the files get lost.

I have separate directories for documentation, firmware, drivers, software installers... but that system isn't really working.

Open source video editor with zooming and annotions? Something similar to Camtasia.

OpenShot is shit.

You don't even need the case.
I use this cable to connect my ssd to my laptop pretty often.
(500gb samsung, 1.4A@5V.)

No idea what the cause is, but maybe you can get around it by using a different port; powered hub; bluetooth peripherals.

If you want to look for a cause then it's probably a matter of opening the case and looking at the board for problems. Eg: dodgy solder, capacitors, problem on traces.

Put it in an mkv container.

can anyone help me install linux on an old (circa 2011) macbook pro I have

I've downloaded and burnt the linux mint iso to a USB, as a DD image with a GPT partition...

the problem is my mac isn't showing the "EFI boot" option when I turn it on and try to select the USB as a start up disk

Is there any way I can install linux from the terminal (macs use bash)
thanks will give money to whoever helps I guess, really pissing me off

Need a good resource soon, thanks.

What's the simplest way to grab a board's catalog.json if I'm not using it for a userscript?

blurp

It looks beautiful, but why not backup to your computer and get some software that can read it?

If/when your kindle dies you'll be able to get a new reader then.
Maybe a nicer size. Maybe with faster page updates.
E-readers are going to be around for a while.

A regular back-up of the data you want to keep.
(Ie: Not os software, drivers, nor program installers, etc.)

Are there any trusted source to pirate win10 guys?

No. Please stop using Windows.

tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?sid

I already have made several backup and when I get new books, I make sure to update them in the backups as well. I don't like to read the books on my computer too much because my eyes start to hurt after a while. Just wanted to see if anyone had used this reader and what their experience was with it. I've seen several going for as low as $20 with free shipping. That's why I am so curious about it.

thanks lad

I got a windows 10 OEM key for free, can I download windows 10 oem from the windows website, mount it on a disk and install it on my new build? I have an optical drive. Would it be easier via flash drive?

Are there good typing alternatives to Word?

Is there anybody other than LG making OLED TVs?

Google docs or libreoffice

250 hosts will fit in a /8 (254 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
18 hosts will fit in a /5 ( 30 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10 hosts will fit in a /4 ( 14 hosts + all zeros + all ones)

10.30.128. 0/15 free (32766 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 64. 0/14 free (16382 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 32. 0/13 free ( 8190 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 16. 0/12 free ( 4094 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 8. 0/11 free ( 2046 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 4. 0/10 free ( 1022 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 2. 0/ 9 MANUF ( 510 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 1. 0/ 8 free ( 254 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 0.128/ 7 free ( 126 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 0. 64/ 6 free ( 62 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 0. 32/ 5 EXEC ( 30 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 0. 16/ 4 IT ( 14 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 0. 8/ 3 free ( 6 hosts + all zeros + all ones)
10.30. 0. 4/ 2 free ( 2 hosts + all zeros + all ones)

Best I could do.

I'd guess software or drivers.
Something is tell windows that it's not ready to go to sleep yet.

But there's not harm in testing your ram, scanning your disk, and checking for malware.

Question:
How do I create something like a Venn Diagram, showing or grouping data by multiple labels?

Context:
I am a graphic design student. Last week I attended an exhibition and received 30+ business cards. They all have different specialties like photography, illustration etc. Some have more than one specialty. I would like to have them grouped in my binder according to their in-common specialties.

So far, I have created an excel document with column A as a list of all the specialties they have listed; and each row filled with corresponding names. I just don't know what the next step is to make this data digestible.

WHY DO MY DESKTOP ICONS KEEP REARRANGING THEMSELVES WHENEVER I TURN ON MY COMPUTER EVEN THOUGH I HAVE AUTO ARRANGE ICONS TURNED OFF. WHY DOESN'T WINDOWS 10 JUST FUCKING WORK?

You can install linux in a virtual machine, then allow that copy of linux access to actual partition on your disk.
That way you can get linux onto a partition.

But you'll have to google how to get the mac to boot it.
I know the information is out there, I've just never had to use it.
Maybe the mac os command is called 'bless' or something.

Found a free proxy

var fourchan = 'a.4cdn.org/v/catalog.json'
var proxy = 'cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/'

function get2Data() {

$.ajax({
type: 'GET',
url: proxy + fourchan,
dataType: 'json',
jsonpCallback: 'callback',
success: function(data){
console.log(data[0])

}
});
}

Let's say I'm downloading a video
-ARCHIVE
--MEDIA
---VIDEO
----WEBM
Save file there,I'm very organized desu

>qbittorent takes 100mb of space

is this normal? I thought this was a "light" client similar to early utorrent.

Well I mean I'm trying to set it to limited because it's a game console that can't do full range, but I can't figure out where to do so

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram
4 groups is about as far as you can go whilst having the thing communicate to you.

I would pick 4 specialities that are important to you or some current project of yours and use those as the venn diagram groups.

I would represent each person in the venn diagram by their name either plainly written or fancied up in some way, maybe bold or with a star next to their name or something.

Give them the star based on whatever criteria you choose.
Eg: Lots of specialities, you've met them, you like them, you've worked with in the past, etc.

I've been away for a long time. Do Sam and Charlie still post here? Did they suicide? Get a social life?

So I'm setting up my room in preperation for my first PC build. Being the meticulous person I am, I made sure to buy a surge protector. So I plugged it in and saw that the "Grounded" indicator was off. Upon further inspection of the outlet, I found that all 3 outlets in my room were wired incorrectly(white wire on "hot").

My room was renovated about a year ago, and I still have the electricians number, what potential damages could this error have incurred? Should I ask for my money back?

I've gone ahead and fixed all 3 myself, all read "grounded" now.

You should have a UPS if you're using a desktop, so you don't lose work. If you have no work, get a console you piece of shit.

org-mode

when you're studying/learning programming where and how do you take notes? you just open your OS's notepad and start typing? type everything in a word processor because you can turn text bold, italic, colored etc? buy a brand new notebook and write everything important there?

This is up to personal preference. How do you usually take notes?

I write everything down in a notebook because I find that It's easier to remember things when I physically write them down.

What's the point of studying programming when manuals exist for you to see all the commands and use them on the spot?

Where is /home server general/? I need some advices.