/network/ thread

I have a modem in my house. Just a modem. Am i vulnerable to outside attacks?

Other urls found in this thread:

netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-3100.html
howtogeek.com/183439/ask-htg-do-you-need-a-router-for-simple-single-computer-setups/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm pretty sure a modem won't stop you from being robbed.

Have you configured you PC firewall?

No, i haven't at all. I don't have ufw or iptables configured. Am i getting attacked?

Do you have any vulnerable running services? I would set up UFW ASAP.

I'm thinking of getting a firewall, a physical one. What do you think of that?

Whats the difference between a hardware firewall and a normal router

Sorry for the slow reply. Build a PfSense box.

No problem. So i buy this netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-3100.html and connect it to my modem??

>. Just a modem.
my autism can't tell if you are a troll or just worded your question incorrectly.
im reading as literal as possible.
just a modem unplugged sitting in a box on your table.

I would strongly recommend you get a $20 Core2Duo machine off craiglist and put a dual port PCIe NIC in it, then install PfSense on that instead. You don't need to drop $350 on a HW firewall, especially if you are just hooking up to a cheap modem.

I think he means he is not running a router, NAT, or firewall, he just has his PC hooked up to his modem and is getting an external IP address from his ISP directly.

Its the autism. Sorry, i meant i have a modem and im connected to it. I want to know if im vulnerable to outside attacks?

This

a nice 110F, 80w, 30db DIY router

I got the moneyy. Should i buy it

Most Core2Duos have a TDP under 60 watts, and are pretty quiet. Heat also shouldn't be an issue unless you have anceant thermal paste and dust all up in there. 60w*24/7 for a year is only like $20 unless you live in alaska anyways, so thats a better deal than dropping $350 on the ARM box even 5 years out.
Spend your money somewhere else and get a cheaper box. You don't need that much horsepower for a single host. Those machines are made for networks of 30+ hosts. Honestly, you don't even really need a hardware firewall, but I can understand the desire to put one together if you want to.

Im not gonna buy a cumpad on cucklist. I get that you are saying this firewall is for 30 + hosts. What should i use then?

howtogeek.com/183439/ask-htg-do-you-need-a-router-for-simple-single-computer-setups/

yes you are vulnerable.
running outdated OS (windows xp)
running outdated software
running OS that doesn't have all its updates

on an hourly basis my little server gets sniffed by bots because i have a single port opened.
(nzbget server default port)

Fuck off and do whatever you want retard, I literally could not give less of a shit at this point. Buy your $350 hardware firewall. All I am saying is that a $20 cheap used computer with a dual port NIC will provide the same experience, features, and security as the enterprise box.

Don't listen to the tards itt. Open command prompt and type "ipconfig" or a terminal and type "ip addr show" on Linux. Check your local addresses. If the gateway is 192.168.1.1 and you're 192.168.1.x or 10.10.0.1 and 10.10.0.x then your router is running nat and you're pretty well protected. Otherwise all operating systems made within the last 15 years have a half decent firewall you can general trust. Don't run dumb services and lock shit like ssh down with a good password.

Don't go out and build a pfsense box on a fucking core2. Holy shit Sup Forums he's not going to ever need such a thing.

Whats wrong with getting a pfsense hardware firewall. Also if i buy one, can i easily connect it to my modem?

Noone suggested that he run a hardware firewall, he was the one who brought it up. I was suggesting using UFW from the beginning. Also, his gateway would not be in the private address range because he said he is directly connected to his modem, so it would be in the public address space.

It's pointless security masturbation unless you're doing it as a learning exercise. Pfsense is great but really if you're making this thread then setting it up correctly would be very difficult for you. At the very most, get a decent wifi router and disable the radio if you don't need it. All routers have a "firewall" built in. Some even have fancy shit like stateful packet inspection.

He suggested a dumb idea and anons ran with it. I have reason to suspect his modem is actually a modem/router because most are these days. Even single port ones often run dhcp and nat so you can just plug a switch into it for more ports.

How do you know so much about this shit user

How are you such a brainlet that you don't? These are bottom level basics of consumer networking.
I'll check your digits though. At least you have that.

90% of normal people dont give a fuck about this at all.