Does anyone else have experience with Arduino?

Does anyone else have experience with Arduino?

I am looking to get into it and make a few projects.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q8zC3-ZQFJI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's trash, buy something real like STM or Ti microcontrollers

get this

I have experience with it, the basic throw away is don't buy one from Arduino themselves until you've used a lot of them.

You can buy them from China, don't go below 3 bucks since then the pins might be shit.

Buy a kit from AliExpress with a fuckton of sensors in it, then do all the arduino starter kit.

When you're done playing around with the arduino and want some wifi think of using an ESP8266 or the lolin32 pro which has a fuckton of analog ins.

I want to buy one and make a digital clock but I dont know shit about them and I don't know if those chepo Chinese ones work on the same way or there are vast differences between them.

From experience, the shit Arduinos from China are especially bad at keeping time, the official Arduinos aren't much better. If you want to make a digital clock than you should use a esp2866 to get the time from the internet to keep the time.

You just need a proper RTC module.

Arduino is great because of the community, the hand-holding tutorials, the sheer volume of projects that people have done & documented, etc., not for performance. Obviously even just a STM32F1 runs rings around a 32u4, but for a beginner with microcontrollers the Arduino environment is massively better.

bullshit. It is very good for prototyping - use microcontrollers only for production or bigger projects.

Arduino is great for approaching some programming language. You can make some cool projects, I used it at school back in the days and it was useful. You should look for some tutorials online

i have an arduino uno and a lcd and a rfid card reader/writer (which i already used before)
a bunch of or and and gates and a flip flop
and some ressistors and capacitors

wtf can I do right now with this?

and some transistors

Ask yourself.
Do you know how to program?
If the answer is no then copy paste some code from other people or trash it.

i can code
im out of ideas

Sucks to be you then.
I have ton of ideas but dont know how to code.

Buy an RTC module in order to keep time properly.

The main difference is the QA, you should never forget that the Arduino Uno is open hardware. The schematics and PCB layouts are free and open source, if you have a pcb mill or want to order one from China you can literally just build one yourself using the reference material.

As stated before, don't spend less than 5 bucks for an arduino and buy a starters kit.

How are they worse? Can you link to some articles?

Just buy an RTC module dude, the millis() function is mostly just for small tasks like doing stuff every X minutes/seconds. Not for accurate time keeping.

>Buy a kit from AliExpress with a fuckton of sensors in it, then do all the arduino starter kit.

Sounds like a good idea but why not use a Raspberry Pi with the sensors instead? Don't these have even better support? And aren't they cheaper, too?

An Arduino clone costs 2$.

> (You)
>An Arduino clone costs 2$.

Okay, fuck, that's cheap.

You can buy arduino clones for 2 bucks but they're honestly shit (if we're talking about stuff like the uno, the pro micro is good at that price point).

A Raspberry pi is also pretty much overkill for most projects. It's also a fuckton more expensive and has an actual OS.

The arduino doesn't have a big OS which slows everything down.

They're fine.

Sure, a 30$ official Arduino will have better sourced parts and better QA but the cheap Chinese clones will work fine 99% of the time.
Nothing justifies paying 15x more except wanting to support the creators.

>From experience, the shit Arduinos from China are especially bad at keeping time, the official Arduinos aren't much better.
No shit, there's no fucking crystal.
Tracking time without an RTC module is just counting cycles, and that isn't very consistent.

Rpi doesn't have an ADC.

The Arduinos all come with an external crystal.
But it's a 16MHz crystal, which isn't appropriate for time keeping.
For time keeping you want a 32kHz crystal.

I've used plenty of clones, the main problem I've had that one out of my 10 clones had the ICSP header a mm to the right where it should be, meaning that the ethernet shield wouldn't fit.

Most of the cheaper ones have bent pins but you can just bend them like they should be.

This one is fun: youtube.com/watch?v=Q8zC3-ZQFJI

It's a good way to learn electronics, tons of tutorials, libraries and compatible sensors and boards

>shields
Eh, who cares. Most modules only use a few pins anyway.
I'd recommend Nano clones over Unos.

Nano clones are the shit, started recommending Wemos these days. Started using pro micros without the usb port because I don't need it when I have actually deployed it.

Don't forget that there is help code included in the arduino IDE itself. You might want to use this to see how everything works.

how hard would it be to make a GPS 7-segment clock?

its just microcontroller for kids
make your own

You can get an ESP8266 for that money.
More powerful than the Arduino's AVR and builtin WiFi.

I own this and I should advice you to use the W5100 breakout board instead of the shield, the library uses like 30% less memory

lets join forces

How is an STM discovery board not good for prototyping?

You just don't know what you're talking about

teach me stm senpai

What's the point of this?

Powerful, industry standard 32bit microcontroller breakout boards, C++ Web IDE, same pinout for arduino shields. I've seen some with built in touch screens. Then you could just flash the same code onto a discrete standalone MCU.

Anyone have experience with D1 minis? I uploaded a test sketch to it on Android Studio, but after that it seems bricked, it is no longer recognized even if I reset it.

The error is "esp_send_command: didn't receive command response"

When it happened like a month ago I googled a fuck ton and scoured several forums but no fix really worked. Gonna just write it off as chink malfunction unless you guys have any ideas.