/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=Xzn4MQnngT4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-VINTAGE-1978-DIGITAL-A158-5060-MOONRAKER-JAMES-BOND-WATCH-MONTRE-OROLOGIO/173006126166?
ebay.com/itm/orologio-SEIKO-A939-5000-Alarm-Chronograph-Watch-LCD-Digital-vintage-Japan/282752432334?
buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/r219953555
zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=x513443613
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M7OTSB6/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=HHvuN6i8Urk
ebay.com/itm/SUPER-OYSTER-BRACELET-FOR-SEIKO-SKX007-009-ETC-PROSPEX-CLASP-RATCHETING-EXT-/292352750040?
ebay.com/itm/22mm-Super-Oyster-II-Watch-Bracelet-for-Seiko-Diver-Skx007-009-011-Curved-End/382236704978?epid=1412411460&hash=item58ff1540d2:g:HKAAAOSwyjJZyq0T
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Secret santa user from a few threads ago. Got matched with some girl who loves vintage seikos. What are my options for less than 100 USD

Any vintage Seiko under 100 $

OK I don't know shit about watches though. Any suggestions?

Black stealth men's watch under 100€
(A bit like pic related)

Vintage stainless steel digital ones like previous thread's op pic or king quartz or other mechanical ones from jp auctions/ebay.

Any particular model numbers on the SS ones?

You can get a 5s21 in a size and style that works for modern ladies fashion for less than 100 on Yahoo jp, but time is running out to get it delivered in time.

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-VINTAGE-1978-DIGITAL-A158-5060-MOONRAKER-JAMES-BOND-WATCH-MONTRE-OROLOGIO/173006126166?
This for example would be pretty dope.

ebay.com/itm/orologio-SEIKO-A939-5000-Alarm-Chronograph-Watch-LCD-Digital-vintage-Japan/282752432334?
Or this.

Thank you all

Posting proper size.

The buyout price on this is 100CAD buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/r219953555

Is it worth it?

My city has a Daniel Wellington shop as in a real retail shop

Stay away from gold plated watches

I was looking at this one - yours looks to have some visible wear and I probably wouldn't get someone I'm interested in a gift that literally says"basic" - but either would be fine. Is definitely argue a 5s21 movement is worth 100cad.
zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=x513443613

What are you wearing today?

I just got a new diver!

>My city has a Daniel Wellington shop as in a real retail shop
do they have a Sekio shop?

Rev 2.0, ran a wire wheel over the strap to unpolish it per that one user's suggestion

Reminder that 4chanx allows you to block posts by the cucksio guy

I am wearing a Casio super illuminator, not too fancy, but cool!

What bracelet is that user? where did you get it?

Cool, I could block all swatch males and /fa/ggots, it would be just me, canada bro, uk bro and some soviet timepiece collectors.

My Suunto since it's workout day.

Going on a month long trip to East and South East Asia. Decided on these two.

This is bait right

How do I block this

this one fucking shitposter has ruined the board

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M7OTSB6/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, the polish clashed pretty badly with the unpolished fitbit lugs and seiko

Nice, I like it bro

looks classy and heavy but not too much so

I know, what more could you want?

Well, then I couldn't bait swatch autists into pointless debates over meaningless things in life.

wait, there is a /wt/ secret santa?????

How much more accurate is a Rolex over a Casio?

Any good suggestions for starters wanting to get a fashionable watch? I wanna stay away from digital, and kind of want a minimalist look. Open to pretty much anything within that, I’m really just trying to not fall for the MVMT watch meme

Excellent choices, and now I understand why you didn't give a fuck about overpaying for that SBPG001.

>How much more accurate is a Rolex over a Casio?

A Rolex is $10,000 and a Casio is $20

so the Rolex is $9,980 more accurate

How accurate is that thing today? Apparently it was rated to 5 SPM when new.

>It does not have an extremely ordinary quartz movement. It in fact only watches made by Bulova uses this specific movement. It operates at a much higher frequency and this gives it a really interesting sweeping hand that looks almost like a mechanical watch.
Yes, but engineering-wise it's exactly the same as any other quartz movement; the stepper motor just runs faster. It's not even the high frequency quartz crystal in the precisionist line but a standard 32,768 Hz oscillator.

I know it's big but to be honest Suunto is for practicality only. It is feature and instrument packed and when I use it, I am not doing it because of it's style.

Do you need an altimeter to count your curls?

it's not as feature and instrument packed as an iwatch

Not totally true, to be fair; the 262khz quartz oscillator is a little interesting. It should be (and anecdotally is) a little more thermoinsensitive that a standard 32khz crystal. 262khz is higher than the 192khz frequency in the (thermocompensated) 9f, though lower than the (I believe) 400khz frequency in the (thermocompensated) new longines vhp.

I just use it as my dedicated sports watch, what is your problem with that?

>I just use it as my dedicated sports watch, what is your problem with that?
what is the necessary feature density for doing sports?

I haven't timed it yet but will do so - just by causual inspection so far it's good to at least a second per day, but all that really says is it's in good working order.

Sports watch != watch for playing sports

lol

>do they have a Sekio shop?

Many watch shops have seiko here

i think everyone including canadabro has been called a swatch male so that would limit your view on this board rather substantially.

south east asia is a hell hole I wore a pro trek and a vostok the whole time. Don't wear anything you care about losing or leaving behind. Unless you are just "going to sea" and staying in nice hotels and doing nothing there or you are going for business. It is also incredibly humid and hot all the fucking time and it rains constantly.

I have been called a Swatchmale and a Seikomale for correcting things people say to try make up how shit some watches are.

I'm pretty sure I've never been called a Swatch male, as I'm probably the most anti-Swatch regular poster in /wt/, but I'd agree that a lot of regular /wt/ contributors have been called Swatch males unfairly (not by me incidentally).

I have as well

>tfw only have Japanese watches
Need to get my Poljot sometime soon.

as a seiko male

rate my collection plox

I'll have sbpg001 while touring Vietnam. Will probably leave the diver in HK while I'm there.

HK is probably one of the safest places in all of Asia / the world. You could walk down a dark alley at 3am while holding a fistful of Calatravas and you would be fine.

Yes, the alarms, timer and dual time functions will come in handy.

So are solar watches more accurate than quartz?

not if it's a Rolex

Is that an spb051? Please tell.

>are quartz watches more accurate than quartz?

SLA017

He propably means sundials which show exact solar time, but in modern times it has little to do with "real" time we use.

A richfag, huh. Nice choice, it looks stunning.

>solar watches

First Chrono

>tfw work and couldn't shitpost on /wt/

All solar watches are dogshit. Only good quartz watches are Oysterquartz, Breitling superquartz and the Omega X-33s

What kind of secret Santa requires $100? Girls want nice things, not someones heavily used and unwanted watch.

Talk about being spoiled. I can't wait to hear your reaction the first time you try a more common horizontal clutch, sub-register chronograph minute hand chronograph movement.

>All solar watches are dogshit.
begs to differ

>Only good quartz watches are Oysterquartz, Breitling superquartz and the Omega X-33s
Don't forget the Citizen Chronomasters and Grand Seiko 9F models. The Longines VHP are supposed to be technically fairly good, as I recall.

So is there a /wt/ Secret Santa? I'd be willing to organize one if not.

Nice finishing

The new longines is a steal for the price at 5spy, IAHH, and perpetual calendar. The design and size aren't my ideal.

Also
> All solar watches are dogshite

Fuck me the sla017 is good looking. I may be in at $2500-3000 one day.

are smartwatches worth the money?

yes

they are objectively the most capable watches ever created by man

No

Maybe

I don't know

i want a cute bf to talk about watches with

DAINI SEIKOSHA

youtube.com/watch?v=HHvuN6i8Urk

Rolex best Watch. Swatch fags btfo

>Owen Wilson taking a GMT Master diving
kek

Are you a girl (female)?

If you are cute and only willing to talk about accutrons, i'm interested.

Is 1200 € reasonable?

Kek I'll keep everyone updated

actually im a boy. nice trips
I know a lot about accutrons...

If you are comfortable paying that for a Chinese case, dial and hands and a cheap 60.01% Swiss pocket watch movement assembled just enough in Germany to qualify for "Made in Germany" labelling, then yes.

everything good is made in china, basically all high end electronics/$1000 phones/$3000 laptops etc..

what is wrong with china

Not a boy, sorry, but do you know a lot about the 221 and 230 series? Given the really different fork shapes from the 214/218, are there any important differences in regulating/phasing?

I just bought a $130 oyster bracelet for my SKX007j

how did I do?

it was between this and a super oyster miltat bracelet and I just wanted the rachet extension and for it to be a real Seiko bracelet, did I fuck up? the super oyster was $69:

ebay.com/itm/SUPER-OYSTER-BRACELET-FOR-SEIKO-SKX007-009-ETC-PROSPEX-CLASP-RATCHETING-EXT-/292352750040?

vs:

ebay.com/itm/22mm-Super-Oyster-II-Watch-Bracelet-for-Seiko-Diver-Skx007-009-011-Curved-End/382236704978?epid=1412411460&hash=item58ff1540d2:g:HKAAAOSwyjJZyq0T

you are not a boy?

are you cute?

I have bought two miltat bracelets. Returned one because I didn't like the Seiko-like clasp. Very comfortable, very strong, very high-quality. Especially for the watches they are supposed to accompany.

Either this is bait or you overpaid big-time.

There is literally no answer to this question that will result in me getting information about Accutrons, is there? Dammit.

not bait

this is a seiko brand marine master bracelet with a ratchet clasp, the miltat is aftermarket without the diver clasp they are not exactly the same

i have had a miltat before and thought it was OK, I am just hoping the seiko brand bracelet is not loose or jingly

I only know a little about the 221. To the best of my knowledge its the ladies variant, so they tried to compress everything as much as possible. the fork itself is so powerful it can be scaled down without any loss of function. In fact, the cheapest accutron (idk the referance) has only 1 half of the fork and coil because it isn't needed. It has more of a tendency to jam up when dry and dirty. Accutron tend to function until something inside breaks.

Make a smaller accutron movement and call it a different movement.

The later models had (I think) different fork metal alloys for better temperature compensation and less positional variation- the accutron manuals recommend leaving it dial down at night to run it slower.

But by the time they made a great tuning fork watch quartz was the standard and no one gave a shit.

this is not me

I don't know shit about watches and only have a F-91W, but this dial is cool as heck. Is it a good buy at $63?

Thanks. Would really love to hear more about the use of different alloys to reduce positional variance - I know the ESA 9162 that Max designed after he left Bulova has a different shaped fork to reduce/eliminate positional variance but wasn't aware accutron had tried to do this with materials rather than geometry.