Why do you hate Atom, Sup Forums? are you an elitist vim or emacs fag or maybe you love gay sex with Sublime?

why do you hate Atom, Sup Forums? are you an elitist vim or emacs fag or maybe you love gay sex with Sublime?

> hipster meme editor

how is this more hipster than ed or ne?

Ed is the standard text editor!

>>>>>>>>>>Electron

It's really, really slow.

> sublime
> atom
> vs code
> vim, emacs, ed, sed, ne, etc. in 2017

all hipster shit

First of all I hate Atom and VScode because it's bloated javascript electron-shit on the desktop.

I tried Atom out though and found it to have no redeeming qualities.

Bloat
/thread

this. real men write their code on paper.

Nano is good enough.

Last time I tried it, it was extremely slow. Of course I would like to recommend Atom over Sublime since it's open-source, but not as it is right now.

Because I don't want to periodically compile yet another Chromium clone, Inox and qtwebengine are bad enough as is. Additionally, the last time I tried it, it ate all my 12 GiB of RAM within 5 minutes of usage, causing my system to lock up as I didn't set up any swap due to that huge amount of RAM.

real men carve the 0 and 1 in stone and they execute the code in their head

Real men just control the flow of electrons with their minds.

Vscode only uses electron for the gui, the software itself isn't written in JavaScript. Get your facts straight

Not just that it's bloatware, but it's slow as in "won't respond to my commands fast enough," the font rendering is ugly as shit and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and it doesn't have as many useful features as sublime (which has good looks too btw)

Because waiting for it to start up every time is painful

I don't want another chromium engine running just for a text editor.
I tried opening a semi-large text file (< 10 MB) in atom when I tried it out. It took more than 30 seconds for it open it and that was last time I ever used it.

Because I don't need a web browser to edit text.

i don't need a computer to edit text
i can just scratch it on rocks with another rick
fucking soyboys and their computers

That's a terrible comparison.

Because I use VSCode instead.

Because VSCode is literally superior in all ways.

The usability of it... I mean, stop.

>needing a corporeal form
>not executing the Eternal Algorithm in the Ether with God

Because it's need a whole fucking browser just to edit text. It's insane.

Yes it is.

Hello! What IDE should i use for python?

I started off using the community edition of Pycharm, but now I just use sublime with some packages and a console for VCS, command line, python shell, and debugger. Maybe I'll try going back and see if a full IDE is worth it.

Coming from someone who has tried atom, its just too slow. Gedit if anything is better

>muh needle and magnets

Anything that uses Electron is shit by design.

ok, it's shit but what DO YOU RECOMMEND? specially for beginners that want to taste the hottest most recent meme languages.

vim

nano

emacs

micro

why do you recommend ancient shit? I also tried vim and I couldn't exit the editor, really shitty design.

It's google chrome

>micro
>ancient

>why do you still use wheels
The best design was found early on. I agree with you though, Vim is shit. That's why I recommended Emacs.

Using Electron should be criminal

>Vim is shit

OH BOY

this, no bijillion keybinds like Emacs or Vim. Just a simple text editor that is usually bundled with distros

Can the vim lords tell me what the most important addons are?
I've just never understood how someone can be productive without all the comforts of an ide but I'd love to learn.

learn Micro, Vim is old news

Atom was taking 15+ seconds to open my project folders at work. Switched to VSCode, not as fast as Sublime but much faster than Atom with the same conveniences.

>electron faggots calling sublime gay

Let me redpill you boys on something.
Every developer will need three text editors.

1. Terminal

This is used for your lightweight editing and when you are SSH'd into another machine and cannot use a GUI editor.

I personally use vim which had a steep learning curve, but now I am very effective with. I have never used emacs and have no opinion good or bad of it. I just use vim because I know it. Nano seemed a little to simple to be very effective to me so I don't use it, but it seemed very user friendly and easy.

2. Lightweight

This is something like notepad++ or sublime text. You can use then for light script editing and quickly storing text snippets.

I use sublime text personally. It's fast, powerful and the multi cursor mode is very helpful to me.

3. IDE

When you are in a larger project you would use this. This can do things like code auto-complete, code analysis, error highlighting, version control, step debugging and so forth.

For this I use intelliJ's products. Webstorm for Node.js, pycharm for python. I used the android one in the past. I would not use Atom or VScode because they are non-language specific and are built on electron which is slow. I don't want to load a whole web browser to edit text.

>open 200 line log file
>atom has stopped responding
Been avoiding electron based applications since then.

This is a wise pepe

When I tried it a year ago it was kind of slow from the get go.
Aside from the, the user interface is not very intuitive. At least not to me.
I never uninstalled it though, I still open it every now and then, update it and see if it's changed. IT never does.
Same confusing shit interface.
I use notepad++ for small projects, VSCode for larger ones.

You love telemetry added during compile

>IDE
Just use geany

its not lightweight
it lacks features of an IDE (like webstorm or even vscode)

they dont fit in any nieche (except maybe stupid people who dont know of any oter editors)

VS Code is superior to atom.....no so much personalizable but....fuck that is fast and eficient for the work i need and have lot of good extentions

INTELLI-JAY

I love it but it is damn slow to load

>uses more resources
>all the extensions are pale imitations of other editors already used extensions
>takes longer to start up
>offers nothing new

Even using visual studio code is better than that crap.

It's fuken slow

Just feels too slow, especially starting it up. Much prefer sublime text. For what I'd otherwise use atom for (python, js).

Then it's vim for stuff through terminal and intellij for java projects.

Prefer not to be worried about xss attacks when looking at packages thank you.

because i already know how to use a real editor

I've gone through many IDEs and code edit rows but I've found that Brackets with some extensions (like beautify, minimize, double click to search, vertical indent lines) is really comfy and allows for top productivity. Atom feels slow and doesn't have as much features in comparison.

Brackets is just perfect for nodejs and website development.

>geany
looks to me like it would be an intermediate between what I described as 'lightweight' and 'IDE'

I use Atom and Emacs, mostly Atom because I've been too lazy to adjust Emacs' font size, but also because of smooth scroll and ease of installation of mods in Atom.

Atom's pretty decent, but I don't know why the hell they chose to write it in fucking Javascript. It'd be so much better written in a compiled language and scripting language for extensions.

geany is like VSCode but less heavy and with less support

I don't think we can go deeper than that.

Micro is really underrated

>can't exit vim meme
I always thought this meme was about emacs because I never had a problem exiting vim, not sure why :wq or :q! is difficult to understand.

Why not use Phpstorm instead of Webstorm user? It can do everything Webstrom can do + way more. Supports tons of languages and frameworks.

this, and Micro for terminal

both vscode and sublime beat it by every margin. Atom fags don't want to admit their text editor is shite and deprecated.

Real men use fingernails to etch 0s and 1s in granite

I use BotnetCode

There's a debugger plug in for sublime? I've just been using pycharm for its debugger (and diff/merge tool)

If you want an electron based meme editor then use VS code.

I only ever used it once years ago. My impression was that it was PHP centric and I work in node.js.

I'm sure it's fine. I am familiar with webstorm and it is node.js centric so I use it.

This. After years of not using MS stuff, I was pleasantly surprised.

I used to use it, but VS Code does the same job better

Real men pray to god to create galaxies in a binary pattern that represents the code they needed written encrypted with their personal pgp key.

I use firefox to browse the web

writeyourcodelikethedarkage.stonetablet

Hello friends, I just completed the emacs tutorial today and want to learn to code c. Looking for hot tips

1. Nano/Vim/Vi (whichever you prefer since these are usually bundled if one isn't available use the other
2. VS Code/Sublime (everything else is either extremely similar or not needed)
3. VS Professional/Enterprise or Eclipse/IntelliJ

/thread

real men don't code

i see no reason to use a subpar ide with the same memory foorprint as a good ide

>not using vim like a true Sup Forumsentooman

I prefer vim because I don't make accidental changes and it's fast.

Electron apps should perish like you

Use acme.

Does anyone else here do something simple in Atom (or VSCode) like change font size and then have one or two of your cores go to 100%? I use a low-power laptop so this puts the fans on my laptop into leaf blower mode. I look in list of running processes and it says git is running these processes. Ive googled and see others have this same problem but I dont see any difinitive answers on whats wrong

Emacs

Atom is for numales and PoVs(people of vagina) this ain't san fran fruitcake. Men use vim around these parts.
>>>/soy/

>Men use vim around these parts.
HAHAHAHA

>vim
what a peculiar way to spell emacs

>:wq
:x

Gedit and kedit both provide everything you need.

>vim
oy vey goy, did you feed children in Uganda yet???