Be sysadmin

>be sysadmin
>paid by the hour
>boss wants me to migrate our data to the """cloud"""
>copy a bunch of commands, insert credentials and submit them
>takes 26 hours to upload all this shit
>all I have to do is watch the upload progress
>charge 26 hours of work

Sometimes I feel like being a sysadmin is cheating at life.

How long will it take for businesses to realize that sysadmins barely do any work and then start exploiting that by making us do other tasks like devops, programming and management

you're suppose to also be in charge of making sure it works and its secure in the "cloud". just uploading it isnt enough, do your job properly

It's mostly trash data that nobody uses, if it got deleted today I doubt he would even care.

>charge 26 hours of work
lol what kind of shit contract are you on? You only get paid when your boss asks you to do something? So if you have a slow day at work when nothing happens you don't get paid for turning up for work that day?

Not so bright are you?

Sysadmin is a dying job. Don't get too comfy.

>How long will it take for businesses to realize that sysadmins barely do any work and then start exploiting that by making us do other tasks like devops, programming and management

It's already happening. Time to wake up.

who's that semen bear ?

>tfw sysadmin is a dream job
>tfw I'm still in college
>tfw is correct
By the time I get around to getting a job, it will have progressed even further. And of course nobody wants a fresh graduate with little experience to administrate their systems.

this is so true, we are in the process of migrating all of our data from network drives to the "cloud". This has incentived me to learn AWS or some shit.

>he thinks that programmers can manage infrastructure.

You've done gone full retarded.

sysadmins will always be here lol

>in the process of migrating all of our data from network drives to the "cloud"

programmer logic, someone has to manage that infrastructure.

>try to get multiple admin positions
>too autistic to get hired
>tfw cant fake being a normie

He's saying that since he is uploading for 26 hours, he doesn't have to do anything else during that time and still gets paid for it

Not enough interpersonal company synergy.

OP here, from experience I've noticed that sysadmin jobs are less about skill and more about trust, it's best if you know somebody at the company you're applying for that can vouch for you
if not, at least try to dress nicely and pass as much confidence as you can during the interview, make them know they can trust you

you didn't cheat after all someone had to be there to make sure the upload went ok. something could have fucked up during the process.

Most companies are moving to the cloud, and programmers running their business apps from docker in a managed PaaS.

Sysadmins dont have a role here.

>he thinks that none of that involves network or server infrastructure.

U dum

then delete it and find out, you idiot

we take backups of multiple elasticsearch clusters measuring almost a petabyte in total just for internal logging data across the org, most people probably wouldn't care it's gone, we still don't want it gone, that's why we take the backups in the first place

Problem is, you will reach a point where operating in the cloud is not price efficient anymore. We hit that point a long time ago, it's much cheaper and more effective for us to just buy big chunks of space in multiple datacenters and buy our own equipment.

What's cheaper? Paying 300k a month for GCP costs to run some jobs, or buy several units totaling 300k that's a one time cost that we can do whatever we want with?

Right now the only reason we're running anything in GCP is to prototype the process before we start standing up the hardware.

>still being a brainlet neet
all contract jobs are paid by the hour

This is the whole point software-defined infrastructure. It doesn't require __any__ sysadmins, in the usual sense of the word. Sure, the people responsible for this in an organization must have the same skills as a sysadmin, but their organization will demand a whole lot more out of them. Being a sysadmin is not enough, if you are not planning on retiring in the next 15 years.

Furthermore, server-free ops is becoming a reality. Things like AWS Fargate are going to take off in a big way.

The demand for sysadmins is plummeting. Businesses want DevOps with AWS experience.

Rackspace's decline says otherwise.

Our recent 1-2 mil in hardware purchases says otherwise.

Also Rackspace is a shit company, friend used to work for them, they are garbage inside and out, so it means nothing anyway.

Sure it does. Pretty framers don't know enough about the underlying infrastructure to properly implement it.

Sysadmins need to learn to at least do some programming, sure, but they aren't going away even if the skill set does change.

Devops is a silly buzzword. Good sysadmins can do some programming as is, and managing things like AWS is no different than managing servers in your own data center, except you don't get physical access to them.

>Be night shift security
>Get paid for drinking alcohol, smoking weed, sleeping and occasional fire check
Could be worse I guess

Fellow night shift brother. I've got no idea why this field isn't way more popular. I just bring in my laptop and PSP and play shit all night and get payed decently for it

Pretty framers? I mean programmers.

Your job is just going to get easier over time with the amount of software that can automate things you do. But someone still has to be sitting there and make sure the computers don't explode.

It certainly is true that the cloud does grow more expensive than operating your own infrastructure.

However, the cloud offers additional benefits:
* HA and redundancy capabilities that are hard to replicate
* Elastic scalability

Usually, I see places adopting hybrid cloud systems when they reach this size. Obviously, for a startup, it makes sense to use public-cloud providers and migrate services over on an as-needed basis.

>Pretty framers don't know enough about the underlying infrastructure to properly implement it

There are a few ways to respond to this:
(1) We don't __need__ them to be as authoritative as the traditional sysadmin with respect to the quirks of a large monolithic system. Currently, we are still trying to find the right balance with software defined infrastructure. Once we really reach it, engineers will not need the same knowledge as the traditional sysadmin. Let me put it this way: an enterprise software developer usually couldn't implement a network stack or describe how TCP works in any kind of detail. Yet, they still build networked applications.

(2) The traditional idea of a 'sysadmin' doesn't scale. We want totally automated ops. Suppose a sysadmin team achieved this. Then, you need what, maybe 1/5 of them? Suddenly, they begin having additional responsibilities, like designing infrastructure solutions, working with devs on deployment strategies, designing auto-scaling solutions, etc. What we just described is not in the job-description of a sysadmin. Sure, you could call it that, but you have totally changed the meaning of the word. It's not what we mean now by 'sysadmin'.

(3) Again, as solutions like Fargate become more popular, there will be no infrastructure to manage, in general. In the isolated cases where it makes sense to operate infrastructure, there will be a *drastically* reduced need for traditional sysadmins, who will fall into case (1).

>Sometimes I feel like being a sysadmin is cheating at life.

Well life hacking is also a thing. Most people can't do this, either they don't know how to or they're afraid to.

People can't handle working at night, you have droves of normies for the day shift but finding someone for the night requires miracle worker.

My first job was sysadmin, most shit I learn on spot - and there's always room to develop more, got the basics - job is on easy mode.

My boss wants to pay my certs from now on, but secretly I want to do software development, should I be a dick and start with software ones?

I already automate stuff and write scripts out of passion. and programmed game hacks for years - but I want to start doing it more professionally aka everyday lmao.

What course you guys suggest to start with anyway?

Work support in a farily large data center. We mainly focus on infrastructure but have many shared and reseller clients. Get paid nowhere near as much as you make and do ten times the work.

Sounds comfy as fuck.
>tfw night shift IT/dev jobs don't exist

You need more proactive team play

you can easily retire after 15 years of tech jobs. you would have over 1 million$ even without any investing

You forget the part when shit hits the fan and you have to act fast while customer want results ASAP but you have no idea what's going on and try not to panic because failure is not an option right now..

This.
As much as we as a society love tech, you can't leave that shit alone to its own devices. Its not just human error we need to watch out for.

There IS such a thing as the "ghost in the machine". I see it all the time at work. In my supermarket we use a network system that STILL uses windows XP, on like early 2000s hardware. I see hand scanners trying to scan things that aren't there, touchscreen glitches even though you aren't touching it, "ghost items" appearing in peoples shops, random unexplained freezing.
And thats just when things are working alright. Sometimes the machines just freeze or die for absolutely no reason at all. I've seen so many random BSODs over the years. In a non-IT field.

But a lot of companies just wont update or rework their systems. Costs too much, so everything is all cobbled together and hamfisted in. Causing these strange butterfly effects.

that's what "mainentance" is for.
If you're managing a SQL server, lock a busy table and wait for error reports to pour in.
Before doing that, ensure your logging is set up "properly"

>How long will it take for businesses to realize that sysadmins barely do any work
I mean, you just moved data into a place usually run by devops.. so maybe sooner than you think?

I work for an msp
So I'd be expected to do other work during the transfer... I need a better job

>managing things like AWS is no different than managing servers in your own data center, except you don't get physical access to them
You know less than nothing about this topic. Just stop. Yes you *can* operate AWS like a server, but you shouldn't actually do that. You're supposed to operate AWS completely hands off via scripts. The fact that you don't seem to know this just tells everyone who actually works in this space what a retard you are.

イシカワ from 攻殻機動隊

I used to work overnight security as well, still miss it. Problem was that it paid literally less than half minimum wage, so I had to get a real job.

once its in the cloud your fired mr smug no benefits man

Work for a i.t company that does international business. I have to work nights as an incident manager

Is being an incident manager comfy? Is it general incidents in the ITIL sense or infosec incidents? Actually that'd probably be an incident handler.

What qualifications are needed? What do you do mostly, facilitate communications and document?

I have done this shift for 8 years. It's pretty comfy tbqh. I like it a lot less now that I have kids to miss during the day when I'm sleeping, but overall 8/10 usually just shitpost and wait for the occasional problem to solve. 80k/yr in Ohio goes a long way.

Does everyone just assume weird looking text/css on your screen and assume you're working or is no one monitoring your internet

>HA and redundancy capabilities that are hard to replicate
Not necessarily.

>Elastic scalability
At the mercy and price points of the provider, in other words, it can get expensive /fast/ unfortunately, best used as a complement to your own hardware when you need to prototype or run one-off jobs that don't fit into your current infrastructure.

salty

Someone from Ghost in the Shell. Watch it, now

>If you're managing a SQL server, lock a busy table and wait for error reports to pour in.

Nigger, i work in a fucking factory, if that were to happen i would have my ass inside a 20-ton washing machine.