What do you think about Chrome books, user?

What do you think about Chrome books, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/chromixium-a-new-linux-distro-with-a-chrome-os-twist/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

botnet paperweight

I would like them if not for the goddamn warning screen with a message literally asking every normalfag in a 10 mile radius to wipe your data that appears whenever you install any software more complicated than a web browser.

Install Gentoo

shit

not worth thinking about

literally this

my girlfriend formatted my chromebook by accident because she wanted to check facebook while i was out

So they run Android apps now, huh?

can you still rip the Red Star OS off of them and install a vanilla Linux distro? I hope you can, since thats the only way to make them useful for anything.

Chrome OS is literally Gentoo

Relevant to thread
techrepublic.com/article/chromixium-a-new-linux-distro-with-a-chrome-os-twist/

Is there any way to get rid of that shit? fucking normies ruining technology again

So I can just open up a terminal, su to root, and uninstall all the Google crap and be left with a completely vanilla Gentoo install then?

If I can't, well then obviously thats the reason I need to rip out the OS and reinstall something sane.

>I read Sup Forums 24/7 and r intelligent xd
Kill you're selve

Useless.

I got a pixelbook, pretty much the best laptop I've ever owned. I only ever browse the internet and write handwritten notes and it is very very good at both.

You have to install your Linux in chroot leaving Chrome OS the host, which can lead to all sorts of problems that would be impossible to troubleshoot.

The point I was trying to make is Chrome OS is just linux and you can install any OS you might want onto one natively, it varies between devices but your not stuck with chroot unlike what said, chroot method is just more universal

it use to be useful when you could remove all the google bullshit from the firmware (such as ) and install some coreboot shit and boot whatever linux you wanted.

but I guess google wasn't having that anymore and crippled the firmware to make it a useless gimmick.

They are interesting from a marketing standpoint and make sense for some groups (such as education) but i personally have zero interest in them because of the OS, difficulty of installing another OS, and the fact that i can get a basic sandy bridge shitter for a similar price.

My little brother got one for high school. I found the best one for him with an x86 soc so I could maybe install Linux on it for him when he stops using it for school. I honestly don't see the appeal of it though. ChromeOS is pretty unintuit and locked down at first sight. He literally couldn't transfer over some videos from his android phone to his Chromebook's videos folder. He asked me if I could take a look at it, ended up having to store everything in the downloads folder because he didn't have the rights to access his videos and music folders anymore for some reason. It's also got a kind of non-standard layout.

Yep. The C720 halcyon days are over. Now it is botnet all the way down unless you buy an old model. And considering the prices they charge now, It makes more sense to buy the cheap windows laptops and install linux anyway.

Sadly Windows 10S is going to same rout of totally locking down the hardware so the days of having even remotely modern hardware to run Linux at a fair price are likely numbered.

What is the point when a T420 can be had for the same price, with better specs and perform more tasks?

>W10S
This is what they will shove onto all the >$300 ARM boxes (and Intel ones, its the new 8.1+Bing but actually shit) i can pretty much guarantee it.

I wouldn't mind a Samsung chromebook pro or whatever for $300 max but anything more is dumb. Only reason I would want it is for stylus, good screen, and android apps. Chromebook keyboard layouts are atrocious.

Normalfags refuse to buy used and want it to be ultrabook thin too. Why else do you think 1366x768 fifteen-inchers sell still? They dont do research beyond "that looks pretty" and "that one is cheaper."

At $300....there are Windows laptops brand new. I just am not seeing the point to a laptop that only runs ChromeOS

I cant either user. The only people i have seen with them are kids, grandmas, or strangely enough drug dealers.

fucking hate them

It's especially frustrating because it would be so fucking easy for them to be good, they're so close. If you could actually install a proper GNU/Linux distro on them easily without the fucking boot warning, and if they'd open the fucking graphics drivers for Mali, then they'd be a fantastic ultraportable modern ARM laptop. But of course they just want everyone to have another botnet machine to carry around. Fuck's sake. You all make fun of GNU and Stallman but at least they actually give a toss.

Great for installing gentoo on arm.
Otherwise worthless

Until you or someone else inadvertently presses space during the fucking boot warning about OS verification that conveniently fails to mention that it will flatten the hard drive.

You can get 1080p Windows laptops for less than $300 these days (and they run GNU/Linux well too). There is no reason to buy a Chromebook if you don't exactly fit its target audience and use.

Google should be declared an enemy of all life and burned into oblivion.

Great design, great specs, why THE FUCK would i use chromeOS?

Gallium, maybe

Just wondering but how come you didnt want the Samsung Chromebook Pro?

I just got one on ebay for $330. cant wait! :)

You don't understand ChromeOS then. If you gave a $300 laptop to someone in your family you will have to fix it every month and it would be filled with malware and viruses. ChromeOS is basically a userfriendly Linux OS so you there is nothing to really maintain.

Use case for youself- as a secondary machine. Maybe having a powerful desktop and having a tablet like ChromeOS device is super comfy. Updates are super fast and doesnt get in the way and it just werks.

If I could just replace ChromeOS with linux, the pixelbook has some nice hardware

Can't you? I haven't kept up with the latest hardware.

The only good one was the original Pixel and maybe the sequels. All that hardware and aesthetics is wasted on a garbage OS. Can you even change it?

I recently got the Chromebook Pro to replace a dying laptop. It's been pleasant to use and the tablet mode is quite handy with the stylus.

I hear crouton has some issues so you'd probably be best off installing a fresh copy of linux, but I don't know if you can do that on that particular model.

>m3 and 4gb ram for that display res
I imagine you're not doing anything remotely demanding. How's the battery life?

>worrying about specs on a chromebook

I'd worry about ram and battery life on any notebook.

as someone who is currently using one issued by my school (inb4 underage gtfo, I'm almost ready to graduate don't worry) they're shit, complete waste of money if you bought one. Honestly only use one because of school and because I couldn't afford my own laptop. Been using it for a few years now to put things in perspective, can't do shit with it and sometimes it randomly disconnects from the internet, runs slow as fuck randomly, among other things. on the plus side, you could throw this off a balcony and it'd still work. it just scrapes by and gets the job (school work) done, but other than that you can't do shit with it.
Maybe it's just because it's got school settings on it (pages are blocked, apps are blocked, developer mode is blocked) or maybe all forms of chromebook are complete shit wastes of money and space. It's a glorified browser at best.
Only thing I like about it is it has 15 TB google cloud space which for a poorfag is a lot

Only Acer sells decent ones in yurop. The rest of the nice ones aren't sold here.

Still salty about Damore, eh?

Your brand new 300€ W10 laptop will be so slow it'll be unusable. A chromebook will be a better user experience.

>chromebook

>can't play vidya
>can't work

Yeah. It's a browsing/multimedia device. Fucking useless.
Buy a tablet/laptop with Windows on it instead.

>Your brand new 300€ W10 laptop will be so slow it'll be unusable
Incorrect.

How true is this?

How the fuck can manufacturers let this happen?

>Windows 10S
Who the fuck is stupid enough to buy W10S.

Wanted to get one of these as a linux box, but there aren't any for cheap in my country.
Also, ARM seems far better for chromebooks than x86, just undo the flash screw and you can be as free as stallman

>Chrome book
triggered

I sometimes need to run Matlab and SPICE software as well as other applications for my EE classes so I needed the extra power, Ram, and hard drive space when I run crouton.

No trackpoint so

damn they look nice. I might could go for that. Whats battery life like?

fucking bullshit, I'll stick with my x220 which gives me 8 hours on a charge and I can actually use it as a computer.

Chromebooks are basically tablets with keyboards which are non-optional.

They tried to replace all the PCs/laptops in the school I used to work at... Suffice to say it didn't go well as they never bothered to upgrade their internet connection. Glad I left that place.

About hiring him? Yeah.

Thinking about it is waste of your oxygen

You living is a waste of our oxygen, and yet here you are

does it have 1080p IPS display and non-shit CPU and backlit keyboard and costs less than $200?
if not then I don't care

>book
>no pages

no understand

very fast but useless
they need to drop chromeOS and just load them with android

This thread could use some marketing materials.

It does touch too!

>tfw I want to spend £2600+ on a Pixel XL 2 with no headphone jack and no wireless charging & Pixelbook with no dedicated GPU and no pen included, just because they look pretty

I think I need help

I bought this Acer Chromebook 14 (2016) a couple of months ago and I've been really impressed with it so far. Paid $250 for it, and I was definitely not expecting a metal body.
The way I see it is that if you're looking to save money on a laptop, you need to pick two of the three important aspects:
1. Weight
2. Battery life
3. Performance
This Chromebook definitely meets the first two criteria, and the performance isn't that bad either. Granted, I only use it for Firefox and libreoffice, but that's all I need it for anyway.

If you've already got a desktop and just need a laptop for school, I would really recommend getting one of these. Just make sure you check the galliumos compatibility list so you aren't stuck with chromeos.

I can't speak for others, but battery life on mine has been pretty great. Lasts around 6-8 hours depending on what you're doing.

Even with gallium that screen pops up.

How would Arch + bspwm perform on a cheap-ish chromebook?

I'd like a pixelbook but nobody knows if you can install regular linux on it yet apparently.

I bought a Toshiba CB2 for $270. Has
>Intel Celeron 3215U
>4GB ddr3-1600mhz
>13.3" 1080p IPS screen
>Skull Candy tuned audio

I'm using the stock ChromeOS and get around 15 hours of life per charge with the screen at 50%. It can run Linux but with no audio, and honestly for general purposes, ChromeOS is comfy. Has everything one would need for comfortable long term casual use like reports, spreadsheets, web browsing, etc. While the file manager is lacking, it can still connect to windows shares over the network, so streaming from or uploading to my file server is no issue at all. Not to mention full Android app support on the newer models.

If you're a person doing encoding or compiling on the go, look elsewhere. There are way better options for you than a CB with bastardized Linux forced onto it.

how does it handle scaling?
13.3" 1080p at 96dpi is really small
is it 150% scaled? any artifacts?

Scaling is fine. No noticable artifacts at all. Very vivid screen. Very bright at 100% backlight. I had a hands on at the store before buying it and it's screen quality was better than the competition (at the time) by a country mile. If you're looking brand brand new, the Asus CB pro is your best bet. Nice screen. 12.1" with touchscreen. USB C ports all around.

I just checked all the chromebooks in my pricerange
every one of them is 1366x768 TN shit
maybe next year we get quality products sub $200

Can always try used. Also I forgot to mention. The Toshiba CB2 I have has a SATA based m.2 2242 drive. 16GB stock but can be replaced. The entire bottom of the laptop comes off with as few as like 8 screws. There is even a tool on the CB store to make a complete backup of your machine to restore on to the new drive.

My CB2 was well worth the almost $300 I paid. If you can get one for around $250, it's worth it.

buy a fucking thinkpad

My mum actually wiped mine once. Opened it, pressed space, closed it again in shock. Good times, she was so scared.

>never uses the feature in real life
>does random things for a review
>wobbles like shit

>women are stupid
Color me surprised.

>trackpoint
Nigga, can you show me a single non-lenovo laptop with a trackpoint from the last decade?