>Be Me.
>Use compression app.
>It physically compresses my hdd.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/philipl/pifs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>compress file
>it ends up larger than before

So, what, a Mexican comes in with a steel press and puts your hard drive in it?

does this... not happen to you?

can someone explain why we cant compress a file into a few bytes?
>file is 12000 bytes
>means its 24000 hex values
>24000 is a large number
>convert this number into something like 156.234 F^8937593
>store it as like 20 bytes
whats stopping me lad?

Unless your file is just the same pattern repeated x times, such a thing is not possible.

Every compressor has to do that, by definition.

you are not very smart are you

Better, why don't we store everything on π?

>brainlet.jpeg

that's called lossy compression and it's not really useful in most cases

>switch on my custom built GNU/LINUX computer full of freedome
>sisters iphone and macbook pro exploads

Compressing an n-bit long sequence of bits means reducing its length by at least 1 bit
For 2^n such possible sequences, only (2^n)-1 shorter sequences exist, so even a *perfect* compression algorithm won't be able to compress everything

Wasnt there something lipe pi-fs that did that? And it was illegal because technically it could create the correct sequence of bytes to create CP or something

Found it
github.com/philipl/pifs

I still don't get this. If a file is represented by the hex value of 7B285C3, why cant i compress it as 3^17? If the file has enough bytes, shouldn't there be some sort of x^y where len(x^y) < len(bytes) and where x and y are both its? What's stopping me, overflow?

>order dick enlargement tool
>it's a magnifying glass

For the same reason you can't compress white noise. Compression relies on detecting patterns, and highly compressed data begins resembling noise.

Every file can be interpreted as a number already.

The problem is that the number get EXTREMELY big and that you have to save it COMPLETELY accurately, which is the exact same as saving the file.

of course no !
...he was Indian

Okay, so the issue then is that it would be too difficult to find an x^y pattern?

This actress is the reason I couldn't handle watching Homeland.
Always shouting, making funny faces like an angry mom plus she isn't attractive. Made me cringe so hard I had to pause the episode every other scene. Finally dropped it.

The pattern would be probably longer than the file itself.

For long files it wouldn't be as long as x and y are constrained to ints. 99^99 has a length of 5, but could represent a file with a few hundred bytes in it

The opposite actually, long irregular files would explode in the length. Sure, 10^100 compresses well, but conventional archives work just as well on it.