/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-MA900-Headphones-Black/202133989583?epid=114798383&hash=item2f101fe8cf:g:Lh4AAOSwAHtaI4x7
bestbuy.com/site/audio-technica-ath-sr6bt-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black/5855301.p?skuId=5855301
innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFAtticus.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFEikon.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/EMuTeak2016.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900?

What's the second best headphone behind the MA900?

what is the second best headphone behind the apple airpods?

Best budget headphones coming through :^)

Stop the penguin posting!
Serval posting is better!

I LOVE YOU PENGQUIN GIRL IM SORRY ABOUT YOUR BOYFRIEND THOUGH
I like planar bass because of how taught it sounds and how fast it decays. Even the shit m1060(which I returned) does this but the he500 sounded better than the modded m1060 in every single way. It wasn't until I was utterly used to the he500 and was able to go back to my dt880 that I really got what planar bass is. I do like it but if I could keep the rest of the qualities of the he500, it's liquidy smooth and pleasing mids, and add in dynamic bass instead I think I would like that more for 24/7 listening. It was an expensive lesson but at least now I know exactly what I want from my headphones.
So right now we're at:
x00 ebony
hd800
elear/clear
No more planars these have to last decades I'm seriously not okay buying something so fragile. I just can't believe they broke. I really really loved these headphones. I still use them but it's driving me nuts and I'm looking forward to getting my taxes back for the upgrade.

>I do like it but if I could keep the rest of the qualities of the he500, it's liquidy smooth and pleasing mids, and add in dynamic bass instead I think I would like that more for 24/7 listening.
atticus or eikon

arent those like $1k t50rp mods hand made by some hipster? don't really want to take the gamble when I can grab a hd800 which is no risk. unless you can talk me out of it? why are those the kilobuck headphones to buy? really a 4db eq bass boost is plenty for me

Elear/Clear is an exercise in EQ. Don't buy it unless you know what you're doing, that upper mids dip is balls to really fix. Also they creak, be warned. Doubt mine are going to give out anytime soon but just FYI.

X00 ebony is great, I love my pair but those have fragile hinges, or so I've heard. The replacement part is forty bucks or something ridiculous. They also have attached cables so be prepared to mod or pay $100 to get them modded.

The HD800 is pretty far from being a bass heavy headphone, and they have a large treble spike. Again, somewhat fixable with mods. Oh, and the finish is pretty fragile and chips easily.

Pick your poison.

>arent those like $1k t50rp mods hand made by some hipster
no, they both have custom drivers. he used to do T50RP mods, these are his headphones made from the ground up. one is TPP the other is biodyna like the th900
>unless you can talk me out of it?
stay away from open backs, especially the hd800, if you're looking for punchy bass. look towards biodyna

hd600

Only sound good driven from an ALC1150

This

Not a big audiophile but wanted something nice. I got the HD600 and it wasn't immediate but over time I've really grown to love them. This will sound pleb but I can hear each little instrument clearly in a way that I haven't before.
When I first got it I didn't have money for the fulla 2 (and still don't) I didn't think it mattered but now I can tell why I need it. Wish I had the money for it :(

>atticus

>No headphones

You're a sick and twisted user to recommend ZMF garbage to that user. We all know these measure like complete trash and yet in an attempt to justify your shitty purchase you're misleading that user. Truly the worst.

relax

No, i'm not Atticus user. You post the same shit everyday. We've talked about this, user...

I think has him real uppity. we should bake the next bread with it

Impressions time. What came in today:
>QianYun Qian39 Bass Earbuds
Very bassy sound. Rolls off after a bass hump at around 100hz, which can be corrected for with EQ. Upper mids and treble is very recessed, needing almost 10dB boost at places. High frequency extension is poor, and I think I can hear some audible distortion when I boost 17Khz. Decently responsive to EQ, but still sounds less detailed than what I consider acceptable. It's roughly equal to the VE monk after both have been EQ'd. Stock sound signature is inferior to the monk. Not a bad value for $5.
>Moondrop Nameless 2017
Tonally somewhat similar to a HD600 with less bass and treble. It's got an excellent response from 200-8000hz. The upper treble (8000hz+) is recessed by about 5dB. It lacks in bass and sub-bass. There's a small (sub 2dB) midbass hump centered around 200hz. Sub-bass needs a 10dB boost, but sounds pretty decent afterwards. Not for bassheads. Responds well to EQ, and it can produce somewhat clean sub-bass. Inferior detail retrieval relative to Svara L.
>TFZ Exclusive 1
Sound signature, (mostly bass response) varies highly with insertion depth. The deeper you insert it, the bassier it gets. At a comfortable insertion depth for me, it's a very sub-bass heavy V shaped earphone. The housing is not vented so you have to pull on the tip of your ear and insert it to avoid a pressure differential between your ear canal and the outside air. The treble is quite forward on this earphone, requiring up to 7dB of adjustments to remove peaks. Sibilance is likely going to be a problem. After equalization, it's a bass heavy earphone (8dB bass boost). Reducing the bass doesn't sound very good, and exposes further peaks in the treble and upper mids. Easy to make listenable if you're looking for a bassy experience, but hard to make truly neutral. Also, these are extremely sensitive to amplification. None of my other headphones have audible hiss, but these bring it out. Unusable with the Valhalla 2.

what are you hunting for?

Not hunting really, just exploring what's out there.

I was meaning to get an ex1000 but got the atticus instead. it's a 16mm dynamic which is ridiculous for an IEM. $250 used. has a treble spike that can easily be tamed, flat bass response.

>Budget
$200-$250
>Location
U.S.
>Source
Fiio Q1
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Good all around comfort and isolation please
>Sound signature
Preferably neutral. Slight v-shape or bass hump is cool too tho.
>Past headphones
Rha ma750i

Been eyeing the MEEaudio pinnacle p1. Thoughts on them? Other suggestions appreciated.

Best Budget IEM comming through

>His Postman Hates Him

;)

That's a lot for an IEM. I think if I ever get an IEM over $50, I'd probably get a custom.
Might pick those up sometime.

I really like that Igor Dude at Audiobudget... his opinions are bang on what i experience.

He said he was amazed at how natural and inviting the SDG-DN1 was and i completely agree, besides sub its one of the few headphones i havent had to EQ... which is great ! now i can play with some bare bones DAPs like the Zishan Z2

Next IEM purchase will be the Iker I8... its expensive (for chifi) , fixed cable, no right angle jack... but should be worth it if i take care of it and for the sound... im a recovering a nigbasser and having a single 10mm driver should be let me have some sub fun again

>I think if I ever get an IEM over $50, I'd probably get a custom.
that's fair. my dad has custom 64 audios... I'm jelly

I've disagreed him on some stuff - most notably the KZ ZST which is just utter garbage in my opinion. The last of my 11.11 purchases to arrive is the Headroom MS16, I'll see if I agree with him on that.
Apparently my package is all the way on the other side of the US, thanks a lot USPS you fucking retards.

64 audio is probably who I'd buy from too. Probably the A3, judging from their FR graphs. I don't really believe the "60 gorillion BA drivers make a difference" meme.

>64 audio is probably who I'd buy from too.
see I've been thinking that and he says he likes them but he still gets use out of his 7506. you'd think he'd never touch it if he had them but he still does. what does that say about their gear?
>I don't really believe the "60 gorillion BA drivers make a difference" meme.
dynamic or planar :)

Whats the best chifi can do around $100? I'm not happy with my gr07, maybe it's the tonality or something but I don't like using them at all.

I still use my K701s sometimes, despite owning expensive headphones as well. Comparing between form factors is especially tricky.

Not that guy but I think the multiple drivers thing makes sense when a crossover is used and it's used well. Taking the best of different drivers and using only that is cool. Like the etymotic er4sr is the peak of what a single BA can do I think, you see when they try to push it further with the xr it just induces distortion. I've heard single dynamics that were out of this world and I've heard crossover iems that are even better. It's a question of practicality, price point, and what the goal of the headphone is really.

>I've disagreed him on some stuff most notably the KZ ZST

Yeah i didnt like it either, But its KZ and there quality control is shite, i have had a friend with ATE's that sounded different to my pair of ATE's !!! so its reasonable to expect we are basically reviewing different headphones

>I don't really believe the "60 gorillion BA drivers make a difference" meme.

Me either, i can see how one or two HF BA drivers could stop alot of intermodulation distortion but people have really gone to town with the BA meme. I know from years of loudspeaker design crossover design is everything and makes or breaks a speaker... and some of the shit i see people doing is insane, like no filtering and just relying on the natural rolloff of the driver.. yikes..also remember the QF and damping factor missmatch that plagued the electrostatic speaker guys adding subwoofers for years... same thing with DD and BA IEMS

Also i think BA Bass drivers are expensive and hard to make and only a handfull of big companies have got it right...

the reason I've stayed away from them is because they tone out when you bass boost them. they have trouble pushing a lot of bass unlike a dynamic which can do it effortlessly

True, been reconsidering repurchasing a pair of ZS6 because they look so nice and my first pair was complete trash. Maybe if they go on sale. desu though, I shouldn't be rewarding their shit QC.

I wonder why they have to use BA bass drivers when they can just use a dynamic driver. They're cheap and have ultra low distortion at higher volumes. DD bass + BA highs/mids would be the best way to construct an IEM in my opinion. Or just use one dynamic driver, whatever I guess.

whoops

That's one fat butt

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

too slow schlomo

Which are poorly sealed MA900s, btw :^)

Which user were you? The one with the thinkpad right?

>poorly sealed ma900s

Thinkpad? Of course not. I'm not Sup Forumsentoo enough for that type of thing

lemme peep that setup then senpai

I don't actually own MA900s; just the usual "nigger bass" AKG :)

bruh
why not?

ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-MA900-Headphones-Black/202133989583?epid=114798383&hash=item2f101fe8cf:g:Lh4AAOSwAHtaI4x7

wtf I just noticed that dent, I should write a strongly worded pm to that person for his miscare.

Partly because they're discontinued
But... If there are a pair on eBay by the end of the month, I may consider picking one up. I've already spent too much on Assdrop garbage

contact him pissed off saying "how could you have damaged those? they are rare. sell them to me for $100"

Any thoughts on this?
bestbuy.com/site/audio-technica-ath-sr6bt-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black/5855301.p?skuId=5855301
Tried it out at best buy sounded pretty good. Got a friend that works there so i can probably get it for like ~125

>they are rare
May have to leave that part out

They're not really rare though, just discontinued. And expensive.

it may be more effective to guilt trip him, he knows its rare otherwise he wouldn't offer $200 for a used damaged item. I may try to snag it off him for modding purposes
isn't that the definition of rare?

Can anyone tell me how badly smoking in the open fucks with closed back full sized headphones?
I just bought a pair of M2 OE and I don't want to ruin them with cigarrete smells
I never smoke indoors

Rare is like HE-6. Can't get them new at all, and oftentimes entirely absent from common auction sites. All a matter of how rare is "rare" though, I guess.

>I don't want to ruin them with cigarrete smells
switch to vaping you tar breather

that would be the definition of scarce though, not rare

*tips fedora*
*vapes*
A gentlesir of good taste I see
Inferior cyanide smokers killg their lungs with tar, to stupid to vape like any person with a triple digit iq like ourselves

199 too much.

>drives away in Subaru

damn I always save the pictures from the OP of these threads as I'm browsing through Sup Forums cause they're top-notch

Ahh, but nothing's too much for the best headphone in the world! He'd be offering up a deal if it weren't for that dent!

Do they actually sound good? Or just a nice budget headphone? I've always been intrigued by the t50rp. They're cheap as fuck I kind of want a pair for the aesthetic.

He meant 199 too much since it's priced as 200, in other words it should be sold for 1 dollar.

>MA900 owners in charge of comprehension

I don't understand how you dent the ma900 like that, he would have had to step on it. there's probably a lot more wrong with it than just the dent.

I knew what user meant. Just used the wrong wording, was all

He probably threw it against a hard object, like the corner of a monitor or something. Either way, as you said, it's probably a warning sign of other things wrong with it.

Which is better, the Sony XBA-3 or 1More Triple Driver? Upgrading from Sony XBA-2

MA900 owners are brainlets, if they were smart they'd buy a good headphone instead.

If you were smart you'd buy a headphone

that's why I bought an atticus

>The HD800 is pretty far from being a bass heavy headphone,

It's funny, I usually like bass emphasis on my headphones, but the HD800 bass works for me in a way the HD650 doesn't.

user... you're opening up bait

>atticus
Now this is the headphone of choice for the top brainlet.

It's way better than the 6?? series at least. But up against planars and the other competition in its price range, it's okay, but not great.

God dammit, user. What did your mother tell you about posting without headphones in a headphone general?

show me more measurements of my headphone user

She just left with Jamal. I'm free to MA900post now.

Well, at least you admitted to not owning headphones

sauce

Any favorites? Thinking about the E-Mu Teaks, heard they're like improved TH-X00s.

Maybe Atticus or EIkons, but I'd definitely have to try those out in person first. I only got the HD800 because of a fire sale.

I own both the teaks + atticus. teaks hit harder because of the biodyna, atticus has better tuning. eikon if you want the best of both worlds.

also, I'm not this user just chiming in. used to own an lcd-2f as well

E-MU Teak is pretty good if you want strong bass. Measures solidly too.

Now ZMF is a brand I would avoid, their products measure like ass.

>inb4 I get called no headphones user

no headphones user

ZMF is the brainlet's choice:

innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFAtticus.pdf

innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFEikon.pdf

>E-MU Teak is pretty good if you want strong bass. Measures solidly too.
tfw when you own both and the atticus sounds better

OwO
The ZMF Eikon looks pretty tasty, desu

tfw your opinions don't matter

innerfidelity.com/images/EMuTeak2016.pdf

>>inb4 I get called no headphones user
Saying anything negative about a ZMF headphone automatically makes you no headphone user.

Hell I've been called no headphone user countless times.

For posting the graph, my dear user?

something people don't talk about, because they wouldn't notice unless they owned it, but there's a -50db noise isolation at the top end. they are dark headphones but with crazy isolation so you can still hear all the details like an IEM

the distortion measurements are a joke

I'd buy the x00 ebony if they fixed the ear cups literally falling off thing. you can buy pairs of two x00 ear cups on the cheap on ebay all day long and there will always be more

user, why haven't you still answered my question?