/spg/ - Smartphone General

f requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb
twitter.com/donovansung/status/937579676746244096
copperhead.co/android/
xda-developers.com/google-camera-updated-zero-shutter-lag-xiaomi/
shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-tw
youtube.com/watch?v=84Zpgu8zFNo
aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Case-5-5-inch-Nillkin-Frosted-Shield-PC-Back-Cover-Case-For/32722703101.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.2D2mXc&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_5130011_10152_10065_10151_10344_10068_10345_10342_10343_10340_10341_5000011_10541_10084_10083_10304_10307_10301_5080011_10539_10312_10059_10313_10314_10534_100031_10604_10603_10103_10605_10594_10596_5060011_10142_10107,searchweb201603_14,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=1ddb73dc-769e-406b-993d-a02b0a3b7089-0&algo_pvid=1ddb73dc-769e-406b-993d-a02b0a3b7089&rmStoreLevelAB=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Vphone bestphone

Thinking about getting the Meizu M6 Note.
Convince me for or against it

Buy it and review it please. It seems so good, no real bad sides to it. (maybe Flyme)

Repostin from previous thread:
what phone should I get my mom?

>Decent camera (she likes to take pics)
>Doesnt need to be a top tier phone (she's 50, not gonna rice it or anything)
>Budget about 200€, preferably less

uhm, that's about it really. A phone with a decent camera for a woman who's just gonna use it for whatsapp, facebook and candy crush. Xiaomi Mi A1 has been suggested and looks like a good candidate, but if you've any cheaper recomendations im all ears

You can find offers for the A1 and it's totally the one I'd recommend too.

The Mi A1 is the best option. If you want a different phone conside the Moto G5/S or Plus or the Meizu M6 Note mentioned above, but that's a bit chinese softwarewise (not bad, just different).

Is there a decent phone that's £100 or less that's compatible with lineageos or any other rom?

The s8 is best phone meme glass is good

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb

Ship it you fucking douchebags.

twitter.com/donovansung/status/937579676746244096

Are you ready for Xiaomi to end the mid-tier market?

the note 8 does the meme glass better.

can't wait for the s9 to come out and destroy apple

Note 8 is an overpriced s8+ with a sytlus

Thinking of getting a V20. It's $400 approx here. Will it be a good buy now considering it needs to last me atleast 2years to come.

xiaomi isn't especially good with cameras
they're alright but really nothing special

sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm looking at kimovil.com and, for example, they show Xiaomi A1s for 170 and 180€ when they're usually 230. Is there a catch?

>they're usually 230
yes, 230 dollars

Does anyone here buy old cellphone/smartphone lots on ebay just to tinker with?

is this a meme or is there any actual benefit over an aosp based rom?

copperhead.co/android/

lazy question: other than the camera, are there any major differences between redmi note 4x and mi a1? same proc, same amount of ROM and RAM afaik but the former is almost half the price of a1

Bought a mi A1 from gearbest for 180€ (with coupon).

Great phone, would recommend to everyone.

How's the huwei mate 10? It looks appealing but for the same price range I could get Galaxy S8.
What do you think?

Stock Android, USB-C and 3000mah battery on Mi A1. MIUI, MicroUSB and 4100mah on the RN4X.

>almost half the price
the 4gb/64gb Note 4 is around $160-180, Mi A1 is $200-230, hardly half is it

>Moto G5S has no gorilla glass

How do you drop the ball so hard?

>smartphones are just becoming portable media consumption devices
Will this ever change?

What's the absolute best phone in the world right now?

Also, what are the best phones for 200$, 500$, 700$, and 1000$?

Anyone has this kind of information?

Spotted an LG V30 in the wild lads.

Muh 5t

should i buy a redmi note 4x now?
is it currently about 140€ in my euro shithole, could the price drop further after the note 5 release?

This. Someone answer this man.

Been eyeing the V20 for a while since I don't feel like dropping $800 on the V30 for an extra year of futureproofing.

Xiaomi Mi A1

what store? mediamarkt, euro?

Saturn in Warsaw.

i would wait

No custom ROM support for that model yet.

Iphone 5 owner here
Is it retarded for me to wait until next year to see if an iphone SE2 is released? Or is there an ultracompact android eqquivalent?
>inb4 iGoy
I prefer the apple botnet over the google botnet

Any good lockscreen apps? i'm stuck with touchwiz and there's no xposed module that supports JB

The question is: can you wait? Because I would if your phone is working OK for you.

Works fine. Just use for texting and occasional web browsing or checking emails. Only 1 screen of apps.

Then I would wait if I was in your place.

Thoughts on the Moto X4/HTC U Ultra/BlackBerry Motion? anybody have one here?

Upgrading from a Galaxy S5, on Cricket in US.
Any reason I shouldn't buy an unlocked LG G5 (RS988)?

I think I've narrowed down to just this because I want an unlocked bootloader, sdcard slot, and removable battery. I plan to play around a lot with custom ROMs. It's slightly larger than I want, but I think I can deal with that.

I was also looking at the Moto G5 which seems to have all those requirements, but for coming out a year later than the LG G5 the specs look far inferior across the board.

Are there any other models I should be considering?

The Xperia X1 Compact is pretty good fom what I've heard but I personally can't stand Sony's rom plus the camera is guaranteed to be disappointing on a Sony phone.
If your current phone is starting to get slow you could always find a used iPhone SE for under 200 bucks and wait for potential SE2.

Xperia XZ1 Compact*

LG G5 has a lot of hardware issues

i still see massive borders

God damnit.
What does that leave me, then?

Similar to you desu, still using an old xperia zr and it's slowly falling apart and right now I'm trying to decide between iphone SE and xz1 compact. Xperia is far more expensive than the iphone in this case but I used android my whole life and I might miss some apps, especially since I use fdroid.

Either get something with a non-removable battery or keep the S5. I wouldn't consider the Moto G5, it isn't much of an upgrade over the S5.

Is the lenovo p2 going to continue getting updates?

also apparently the xz1 compact has a camera distortion effect which is a shame considering the price.

that got fixed in an OTA

enjoy the burn in

Just got my PH-1, Anyone know of the reccomended Camera App since the one on here is shit?

I'm not sure I can tolerate not being able to swap batteries...
How significant are the hardware issues? How common?

I rarely use my camera. If a camera can take thumbnails it's all good. Current SE isn't much of an upgrade, patience may be a virtue here.

Smaller Pixel's display isn't even from the same manufacturer as the XL's.

What android launcher

GPS not working properly, power / volume buttons breaking, LCD burn-in, bootloops etc. Maybe LG's QC is better now but I wouldn't recommend buying one without a warranty.

there's a google camera port that works well on essential. it's designed to have very low shutter lag and improved HDR, and it goes a long way to making using the camera a lot better.

xda-developers.com/google-camera-updated-zero-shutter-lag-xiaomi/

Thanks friend, that's what I was looking for.

Just bought a samshit j5 pro
How much did I fuck up?

Lawnchair.

Free and open source.

thanks brah

Does leaving bluetooth and wifi on while not connected use much battery? iPhone's retarded new toggles don't actually turn them off and I can't be arsed to go through settings every time.

Looking at this, probably gonna get it for Christmas. Did i do good Sup Forums? shop.totalwireless.com/shop/en/totalwireless/phones/huawei-nexus-6p-tw

would the V30's DAC make a difference if I really only listen to music in my car? Pixel is looking more enticing as I realize that I wont be using half the V30's hardware features

God damnit!
Thanks, bro

DO NOT BUY, it bootloops

Is that display 18:9? I'm not liking this meme.

My Meizu Pro 7 Plus just arrived today and to be honest I really like Flyme so far.

Going to do a more thorough review soon though once I've used it more, but in this short time I've used it it's become my favorite Android skin so far.

>Redmi 5 plus
What?

Why does it matter? A sane person would use a screen protector regardless.

Should I pick up the Essential phone?

Forgot pic

darn! What's a good alternative? It has to work on total wireless's network because that's our family plan (I know, it's a shit network with CDMA trash necessary through verizon) and that makes it hard to find a phone that isn't a ripoff and is compatible. I want something with a headphone jack, and something with some power. My normie family refuses to switch plans. I looked into the HTC 10, but it's out of stock or selling for full price from verizon for th evreizon compatable model, and I looked into the OP5, but it isn't fully compatible with CDMA networks. Am I just fucked? Isn't there anything T.T. So tired of not having a usable phone desu...

Ok what the fuck is causing google services to go way up?

Last three days of Oreo have been the same type of usage, now today it acts up and its dying within 3 hours.

Botnet

Things I've been using consistently in the last three hours have been Keep, Maps/Waze, and Google Music.
But, these are things I always use, and yesterday had 5 hrs SOT from the same exact apps + more.

New chipsets are pretty efficient. Leaving bluetooth and wifi on should have very little impact on battery life. I wouldn't worry about it.

Never heard of Huawei, but I've been looking at the Honor 8.

What are some other sub $400 phones should I consider if I'm just looking for some basic services? At most I use my phone for a few cheap mobile games, YouTube, and internet browsing.

youtube.com/watch?v=84Zpgu8zFNo

ok, how bad is it actually if this is the support I get with it:

I have some questions about Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Which color is the best? Can choose black, gray and gold. Black looks the best but gray seems pretty okay too and I heard that fingerprints are very visible on black.
What about case? Is it mandatory and if yes, which kind?

Black is always the best in a smartphone. As for cases, I use a Nillkin case for my Mi Note 2 and it feels great.

Here's one for the Redmi Note 4:

aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-Case-5-5-inch-Nillkin-Frosted-Shield-PC-Back-Cover-Case-For/32722703101.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.2D2mXc&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_5130011_10152_10065_10151_10344_10068_10345_10342_10343_10340_10341_5000011_10541_10084_10083_10304_10307_10301_5080011_10539_10312_10059_10313_10314_10534_100031_10604_10603_10103_10605_10594_10596_5060011_10142_10107,searchweb201603_14,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=1ddb73dc-769e-406b-993d-a02b0a3b7089-0&algo_pvid=1ddb73dc-769e-406b-993d-a02b0a3b7089&rmStoreLevelAB=3

Thanks. I'll get it tomorrow.

There's only one version of that phone, user.

Any good Xperia Z1 Compact ROMs with good camera and stable performance?

Check XDA

Alright, thanks. Still drives me nuts that someone at Apple thought this was a good idea.

>Toggling a switch to "off" doesn't turn it off

S8+/Note 8
vs.
Pixel 2 XL
vs.
LG V30

All are on sale now and I desperately need to upgrade.

Please explain your reasoning.

Any chinkphone with a decent camera at around $400/€340? With that much I can buy lightly used Galaxy S7/LG G6's. They have their issues though.

Should I fall for the G6 wide angle meme? Pic related from leddit.

Is the 6gigs of RAM even worth it over 4?

Every chinkphone I read about in that price range always mentioned the camera being OK in daylight conditions but horrible in low light.

If you really want to shut it off out of principle you can use either Airplane mode or going actually under settings to shut them off.

Pixel, the other two will start to lag within a month of use

Thanks for the input. I guess the main reason I'm put off from the pixel 2 is the lack of expandable storage and a few minor things.

I've noticed the pixel has a lower CPU clock rate and two gigs less RAM than the S8. Would this be noticeable if I was to be using it mostly for emulating, programming and a fuckload of multi-tasking?

I'm also noticing the S8 supports faster wireless speeds. I have fiber internet and wifi, will I notice any decrease in speed over the S8?

Thanks again for your time. All three options are 300$ off until the 8th so I need to obsess as hard as I can on the best option.

Oh, also.

Screen and speaker qualities compared between them all? I watch a lot of movies and Netflix as I try to fall asleep.