Well you can now run xfce on postmarketOS on your phone

Well you can now run xfce on postmarketOS on your phone.
Why are you not using postmarket OS Sup Forums?
the phone in pic is nexus 5

Other urls found in this thread:

postmarketos.org
wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Google_Nexus_7_2012_(asus-grouper)
wiki.postmarketos.org
wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Apple_iPod_Touch_1G_(apple-ipt1g)
wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Nokia_N900_(nokia-rx51)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Forgot link postmarketos.org

Because
>>The project is at very early stages of development and isnot usable for most users yet.

If you have an old phone that supports it you could use it. They are even aiming for old iphone support using openiboot.
Honestly this is the forst time i've seen so many people dedicated to a phone project on linux.(probably because it is customisable like a desktop)

Ya but postmarketos has no hybris or even freedreno, I like it's concept but it's completely impractical to use a pho e using a framebuffer hack

Is this an actual phone OS that can run apps or is it just another meme desktop on phone OS?

Hey another phone OS that supports like 50 devices total

Even as a xfce fan I can't see much use for this. At least with lxde on N900 you had a stylus.

>A lot of work already went into getting KDE plasma mobile running, it is getting closer every day!
This is where things might start to get interesting, at least for tinkering.

Why would I want to run garbage desktop Linux applications?

>KDE plasma mobile
It is interesting, however seems somewhat slow.

You managed to get it to run?

Nah I'm just looking at the video. Maybe the experience is different from that.

>tfw bought a phone before I started caring about any of this
>tfw have a galaxy S7
>tfw it never gets support for anything interesting
At least it has good support for traditional roms and doesn't really bootloop, so I guess I've got that going for me

Here are some facts about linux:
Linux users do not care about normal everyday users. And are not everyday users.
Everyone is divided on which desktop environment is the best(or in this case UI)
Autists can't into normalfag UI.
Linux's strength relies on the fact everyone has packaged it in a different way(distribution) in order for it to appeal to every autist's taste.

PostmarketOS does away with all those problems by simply being the equivalent of a bare arch/gentoo/debian install.
This is why it could win.
You could install this on a nokia n900 or iphone1 and get 2017 linux updates on your phone. Plus there will be at least one autist who will provide you with a lightweight UI. This boosts hardware longevity.
All apps and UI's work across all phones because it is all the same linux underneath(assuming we all use ARM).

Let's be real we cant beat other OSes in terms of good UI and normalfag features we are autists who could not design shit even if our lives depended on it and we also tend to stay on old thinkpads either because it is our favourite or because it has no backdoor.
user 50 devices would be amazing

If it has root and a cracked bootloader it is easy to port. Just send a request .

If you look on the bright side you could port this thing pretty easily since you wont have to care for bluetooth or great graphics support.

But then why does Sailfish OS or Ubuntu Touch or any of that shit not support it? It's a really popular phone (and as evidenced by the large community of pajeet roms, that does translate to a lot of demand for custom stuff).

How is this project different?

Video? Can't find it anywhere...guess I'm blind.

The aim of the project is really good, just the current situaion of drivers on consumer ARM devices is so tragic they probably won't be able to get anything working properly (for example with hardware video acceleration). But I wish they would.
About UI for autists... I'm just saying that xfce on small screen you control with your thick fingers is a bad idea. Getting something more touch friendly to run would be a totally different story.

OP here
It's about 200+ days old project
It has not default desktop the ub port team could provide a package for their desktop on the OS(but they also develop Mir and they barely even have the budget) .
Sailfish is ... Weird in the way they handle things.

Also i just found out nexus 7 work with with wifi too wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Google_Nexus_7_2012_(asus-grouper)

Xfce is an example of course (plus you can change the window sizes.) this is a 200+ day old project. what xfce proves though is that it is possible for one to create a desktop environment of his choice for phone an nothing extra and just publish it. Kind of like how android launchers work but much more customisable.

will this work on ipod touch 1g / 4 / 4s / 5 ? got a bunch of them in my drawer doing nothing.. seems like fun

Look on their wiki. It really depends on the openiboot support for a device. After that all they need to do is make some basic drivers.
wiki.postmarketos.org

UPDATE: i would like to inform you that these are the current environments. And yes you run the Nokia n900 or palm OS UI on nexus 7 and things like that.

>hildon

Subscribing to RSS

Because my bootloader is locked
I hate this piece of shit

There are a lot of phones supported. Honestly i urge you to go over your old devices and see which ones could be supported

Shieeeeet. i'm the S7 user. So are you saying if I submit a request, and they take a look at it, I could get rid of Android and have full Busybox/Linux with something like Plasma Mobile running on my phone within the next few weeks?

If true, that's something I'd given up hope on.

If it doesn’t work on iPhone then get that shit out of my face

Why are Apple users so immature and impatient? It's probably because their toyPhone taught them that computers are magic and that everything happens instantly

As long as it can do twrp and root you could just request that or try to port it yourself.
wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Apple_iPod_Touch_1G_(apple-ipt1g)
Iphones with cracked bootloader only. And only if they work well with it too
wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Nokia_N900_(nokia-rx51)
If you still have the old phone you can install it and then use hildon on top of it.

Please no fighting in this thread make another thread for flamewars if you want to fight.

Why did you (You) me when I clearly know what postmarketos is about? Do you even know what halium and libhybris does?

Yes, time to open the drawers and maybe resolder some N900 USB ports where applicable.