/pcbg/ - PC Building General

What do you have on your christmas list?

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/48mz3F
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw 8700k+1080 ti

Posting this here since I can't find a suitable guide since my search-fu is weak as hell.
I wanna build a Novena. How do?

Why doesn't your PC look like this?

Thanks doc!

>shock suspension

At least they're prepared for earthquakes.

Question: Does amazon ever have winter sales that include discounted computer parts?

I never had Nickelodeon when I was a kid...

Looking to build something in the 600 - 900 range with lots of room to upgrade down the line. Cost effectiveness is key. Need suggestions for
>mobo
>cpu
>gpu
>power supply

No need for HDD / SSD, or case. Just has to be able to play games on medium - high on 1080p

Quick give me a quality Kaby Lake mobo for under 150$. Must support overclock.

because:
1. I don't have a habit of dropping PCs
2. I don't need a PC capable of surviving the shockwave from an atomic bomb blast

is that a printer?

I read that if I'm upgrading from an Nvidia GPU to another Nvidia I don't need to uninstall my old drivers.

Is that true?

What is the best OS?

how much would you sell a 770 for?

Unironically Windows 10.

google search says it should work if the cards can use the same driver version.

though id like to actually see some video proof of it

But I do have to debloat, theme it right?

What happens if I put in a new GPU without uninstalling the old drivers?

eBay completed listings can tell you

post ya case

because i identify as a straight man

B350 PC mate
Ryzen 1600x (see pic related)
1060 3 or 6gb
Some evga 500-600w
Pur that in PC partpicker and see the price

Yes, the almighty Nissan R35 Printer. Heavy as fuck tho

choosing cpu for semi gaming build that guy wants for his son

1600x will be the top for the guy
1500x is sold out everywhere I shop plus I fee
1400x does not exists
1300x will be bottom to choose from

I feel like base frequency is quite important and these people wont overclock
we were waiting for the coffee lake for a month now, but they are uneasy and the price of mobo also plays a role.

ok, two questions
Should I even consider prev gen intel?
Is 1300x with 4cores 4 threads equivalent to previous gen i5 or not?

It'll blow up.
The drivers won't fuck anything up other than bitch to you about compatibility issues.
It won't cause a black screen or anything so don't worry

Big and black is all you need.

so if i'm going from nvidia 750ti to 1050ti, i shouldn't need to uninstall my drivers?

Uninstall it if it gives you problems in games and what not. Usually it'll come with its own drivers disc. And you might aswell update when you install it

If this is your job then you should already know the answers to these questions

1300X is not equivalent to i5 7500 in gaming, but it's also not nearly as expensive. If no OC, get the 1600X if you're pairing with a decent graphics card and you want to make them happy. If not you can cheap out on the 1300X

Kaby Lake isn't worth it unless you're getting the G4560/4600

>tfw dropped $360 on 32GB of DDR3 and the package came already opened

Read OP, retard.

Pls respond.

Ha!

This might be a stupid question, but I wanted to ask just to make sure. I just got all the new parts to my upgrade, and the only thing i'm keeping the same is the hard drive. Is it as simple as just taking the hard drive out of my old build and putting it into my new one?

Is it worth to buy 2.5 Intel 545s ssd 256gb for 100usd fot old i5 3520m laptop (it have terrible drive)? Or just to wait, is it worth to buy sata ssd?
I really want to buy for 50 usd more m.2 drive smasung 256gb, but i don't have pc with m.2 and i don't feel like upgrading and i am not sure about new plastic ultrabook.

There aren't that many options other than manufacturers. Sometimes its safer to do your own research so you can't blame anyone else for getting the wrong thing
Yip. Just that easy

This

forgot pic

Are you gonna reinstall OS in the same harddrive. If its the case back up your file because you may have to clean the whole disk. Other than that it's how you roll.

Probably the boy will know nothing of PCs and will just buy a new one in 3~4 years. Get a 6700K for as cheap as you can.

>tfw chronic indecisiveness
Definitely want a Ryzen 5 1600X
Should I spend time and money on overclocking? That leaves two choices for a motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VI
Asrock Taichi

I usually reuse my old desktop PC as home servers, so it would be nice if that board had ECC support.
The Asrock Taichi supports ECC but comes with botnet non-free Intel WiFi that's got full RAM access through DMA. However Ryzen X370 features an IOMMU. Is it implemented correctly to protect me from the botnet firmware in the Intel WiFi card? The Crosshair doesn't support ECC but is free of botnet WiFi cards.

Do I want an M.2 PCIe SSD? Definitely MLC, so Samsung SM961 or Corsair Force MP500. But M.2 SSDs need a heat-sink to be fully usable, so that means additional fucking around. Also I'm using full disk encryption so the high throughput of an M.2 SSD will definitely impact my CPU load, which means I should consider a Ryzen 1800X after all, but then I can't OC it as much because 8 cores get hotter than 6 at the same frequency, and the fan will be too loud, and my system MUST BE SILENT. So why not a SATA SSD like the Samsung 850 Pro after all? 500 MB/s is plenty and there's a better balance between CPU and I/O speed.

I've been trying to upgrade for months but these questions are driving me crazy.

SM961

or just screw overclocking, then I can get an Asrock AB350 Pro4 which supports ECC _and_ does not include botnet Intel WiFi

I like my PC being a quiet black box.

This. Best case I've owned.

OK Sup Forums, tell me straight.
I have 8 gigs of RAM and wanted to upgrade to 16 and waited to save up.
The price markup makes me want to eat a gun.
The same shit now costs 60% more than 2 years ago and there are different predictions that tell me that prices will go down in summer next year when another tells me that it will go up and up until 2020.
Should I bite the bullet now or wait?

yup they did a really good job minimizing the r4 / r5 / s style and they finally took away that side fan cutout 11/10 case

I just finished a 7700k + 1080ti build this August. God I was so pissed when a few weeks later they released coffee lake.

Is that HAF? Have the mid size of it

just received my 850 EVO 1tb. What are some good games to make it shine? Opening simple shit like The Sims 1 and TF2 is noticeably faster/more fluid, I love it.

I use mine to instalock characters in overwatch.

>What are some good games to make it shine?
Any game

If you had come to this thread everyone would have steered you away from Kaby

Who cares. It's only a few bucks more. Yeah on a percentage basis it sucks, but if you need it, you need it.

>Should I spend time and money on overclocking?
Not heavily for heat and power consumption reasons. A mild OC on Ryzen is always a good idea, which can be accomplished on any cheap board.

Fuck no.

if you were smart you would buy your shit at a retailer with a return policy

Also you must live under a fucking rock because intel announces their shit months before it hits market, and includes release dates. Not knowing it was around the corner is on you.

Also, enjoy having four cores and your processor essentially made worthelss overnight.

Next years i7 will boast 8 cores, rendering all 2600/3770/4770/6770/7700 worthless in a 2nd hand market.

What's it like knowing your 7700 is closer to a 5 generation old 2600 in performance than an 8700?

its ok nobody else was going to pick hanzo anyway

I want to stream 1080p video do web browsing and use windows desktop apps is the Intel compute stick any good?

8 core consumer i7 won't be here til sometime in 2019, at which time i3s will be 4c/8t

Ryzen/threadripper/epic 2 had any noise yet?

I want to see good hardware pass through on a chip with a load of cores. Need to be able to simulate clusters.

Might actually try raspberry pis. Anyone tried running oracle databases on them? Might work out. Speed to storage would likely to shit though.

Is there a way to transfer my Windows install to a new SSD without having to delete the 900 GB of useless shit off my HDD? I have no other HDDs to back up my data and my SSD is 240GB only.

Not sure exactly. Look into "migration" tools.

Mercy main btw ;)

Not really no. You could dd your install off but it needs to be reduced in size to fit the new drive. Which means the data needs to go somewhere.

Honestly a reinstall would be faster and easier on the new drive.

You fucking niggers said I could run a rx 480 OC on a 430w PSU. I've had a few crashes now, need to go buy a new psu now. Fuck me for being retarded and fuck you guys for being shitheads.

Wondering what card to upgrade to from a 1060 6GB

I have a 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor recently and my 1060 doesn't feel quite up to snuff lately. Money is not too much of an object right now (got a nice bonus from work) so I'm seriously considering going overkill and just getting a 1080TI. I just don't want to feel like how I'm feeling about this 1060 now (I only bought it in March).

For context my CPU is a 7600K

(You)
>If you had come to this thread everyone would have steered you away from Kaby

Lesson learned. I just assumed it would be a while before Intel released something new since Kaby Lake was just released a few months before.

Maybe SLI if you don't want to feel regretful?

You need to see a professional. .
Your the idiot for not realising amd is a power consumption whore. I've got pretty low consumption part and even I have a 550w

>Might actually try raspberry pis. Anyone tried running oracle databases on them?
I doubt Oracle provides the database server for ARM.

Is there any advantage mATX has over ATX? Its smaller but not enough so I feel it making the installation easier.

Kay, I guess I'll just store the most important shit and reinstall.

Having a smaller compact case. If you're going to get a full case just get a regular motherboard. I have a mATX on a full case and it's a pain the ass, especially when you want to upgrade certain things.

sure should I buy 2 cards or 3

>You need to see a professional. .
I have and we didn't get along very well.

1060 doesn't support SLI. Just get a 1080.

Upgrading my PC, here's what I picked out. Is there anything I can downgrade? I just want to play VR on high settings smoothly.

pcpartpicker.com/list/48mz3F

>decide on getting a 8700k
>need to buy an aftermarket cpu fan, never have
>all of them are fuckheug blocks of metal
This is completely new to me, I need one rated for 95w, what would Sup Forums suggest? no mineral oil
Im currently looking at the Noctua brand, seems like the most reliable ones and I dont mind if its loud just needs to get the job done

also, as far as RAM goes, as long as its DDR4 how impactful is the speed realistically gonna be? I'm looking at the 2666mhz or 3200mhz, I hear that its only superficial unless you plan on overclocking

So when do you think we will see the prices on 7700 start to crash?

I have a kaby lake Pentium build and I'm waiting for price to drop on i7.

It's not your PSU that's causing the crashing, retard. It's the unstable OC.

You could get a 1080Ti (don't try to SLI, the other retard doesn't even know that you can't with 1060s; SLI is officially disabled). Use hardware monitoring to decide whether you should upgrade to a 7700K as well.

Cheaper mobo, cheaper graphics card.
Just use a mild OC

Get fast RAM

When Coffee is easily available the i7 7700K will be selling for about $200 used, or a little less
When the 4c/8t i3s are available it'll sell for $120 used
Up to you on how long you want to wait

>Cheaper mobo, cheaper graphics card
Any recommendations for video card? Also, would it be better to just 1x8GB stick for now and get another later?

are budget xeon builds still viable compared to ryzen 7 builds?

for example a cheap xeon 8c/16t vs 1700x ryzen.

also not in a hurry to upgrade so should I wait for ryzen 2 or ryzen apu's to see what is what?

7700k is still great for gaming right now, and most average tasks. I'm buying one and giving it to my GF when the next generation of CPUs come out.

It's a factory OC though. Minimum power supply for the rx 480 is 500w, not counting the OC I assume. I know I'm a retard but I'm even more retarded for listening to you fuckheads.

Unplug HD and install Windows on SSD. After Windows is set up, plug in your HD, boot into SSD and drag and drop files from your old HD. After you move all the data you want to keep, format the old hard drive in Disk Management.

I just did this last night. Unfortunately I was unable to move Skyrim with all my mods so one of these days I'm going to have to spend several hours on a fresh install + mods, I'm not looking forward to it.

Fuck, she's hot. Who is she? I love MILF/Mature.

GTX 1070
Eh, up to you on the RAM but I'd just get 2x 8GB since Ryzen likes dual channel and it can't do fast 4x 4GB

Bad card then
I'd always recommend a higher wattage PSU for upgrade purposes but 430W is plenty for a 480 as long as it has the appropriate connectors

Download the media creation tool and make the USB
Unplug HHD and plug in SSD
Install Windows on SSD
Shut off PC, replug HHD, go to BIOS
Change boot order to load SSD first
Windows boots from SSD and you have everything still on your HDD.

I only use it for gaymin. If you think game developers are going to learn how to utilize all those cores anytime soon you're retarded. It's mostly just because got a decent job and after years of buying used pc's and parts like a penny pinching jew I wanted to rush out and finally do an all new build to really push Mount and Blade to the limits. So I just felt burned I only had the latest i7 for literally just a few weeks.

Who the fuck invented these FUCK

>If you think game developers are going to learn how to utilize all those cores anytime soon you're retarded.
Consoles have 8 cores, so of course they will. In fact they already are
However your i7 will be for a long time with its 8 threads

Yeah I'll probably end up getting the 2x8GB. Now I just gotta make sure I get a mobo with enough USB 3.0 ports.

Ouch; you could try to reconnect all the wires then hot glue the joint

We'll see...

The reason I even tried it in the first place is because I read that a solid 430w PSU could handle an rx 480 without any OC, but I risked it anyways. I have lots of other things connected as well, so now that I've tinkered with all the drivers and connectors I'm confident it's the low wattage PSU.

Ok so I'm getting this error
no device drivers found "Insert proper boot device".
I know I'm plugging it into the right(non-blue) usb ports, I tried the front and back. I have windows 7 on a portable dvd/cd player that's plugged in(windows copy is a year old from when I bought it) I tried googling it but I don't know how to get advanced boot options to open, F8 doesn't work.

Is there a point to getting a PSU that's below gold?

>have windows 7 on a portable dvd/cd player
Connected over USB, right? There's your problem.

If you're on Ryzen see the pastebin in OP; if you're on Coffee you'll have to search but the process is similar

When are Intel releasing their next actual generation with an IPC bump? Getting tired of these Skylake rebrands.

>tfw I'm just about to upgrade from a 10 year old [email protected], to 8700k