Why You (Probably) Don’t Need a Crazy-Powerful GPU Like the GTX 1080 Ti

howtogeek.com/334549/why-you-probably-dont-need-a-crazy-powerful-gpu-like-the-gtx-1080-ti/

Thoughts ?

He's right, but a lot of the article covers stupid shit.

He's correct that you can hit 60 fps on low settings in any new game with a surprisingly cheap computer.

In my mind there are basically 3 good ways to allocate money between a graphics card and a monitor, roughly:
>$150 and $200, just basic 1080p/60Hz
>$300 and $400, 1440p/60Hz or 1080p/120Hz
>$500+ and $700+, 4k or some ultrawide meme shit if you're into that

>wanting to play low settings

truth, I don't know why people don't universally think like that. pick a target game, resolution, and framerate, and go from there

But that would be smart and make the vendors less rich.

It hurts my eye sometimes :(

Reasonably priced 1440p > 75 fps when?

When Nvidia Volta/Ampere GTX 2050 Ti launches

Should have GTX 1060/GTX 980 level of performance at 75W no PCIe power connector needed

But how are you going to claim you have a big gaming penis if you don't have a 1080ti?

I've skipped the GTX 1080 TI because supposedly production of the new Voltas is happening as we type.

I doubt it'll really be 2x. But probably 6 months away? I will wait.

I dislike playing at 60fps. The higher the better, though I do cap my framerates around the average fps.
I learned the hard way years ago that buying mid range cards is just a waste of money in the long run.

So what's your suggestion? buy expensive cards for long term ? or just buy ordinary graphics card ?

>playing modern games

IIRC the volta isn't much of a performance boost, it's only for energy efficiency (more bang per W).

This could be done with an equally as powerful card that runs on 75% the power consumption, worth it? Meh

Woudl prolly make sens to just buy current gen 150-200 usd cards

>GTX 1050
>play room on high settings at 40fps

Why would you waste money on a 1080

>60 fps on low i-is all I need!

Did the guy who wrote this is low bronze, a Mercy main or booth?

>Who Really Does Need A GTX 1080 Ti?
>Gamers
>Gamers
>Gamers

I just want my neural networks to train faster.

>40fps
>less frames than your display's refresh rate

It never makes sense to get a new architecture on launch. Wait until they start rolling out the ti's. They'll either drop the card you want down to something affordable or they'll offer you something considerably better for a better price.

>I can already hear a million mechanical keyboards blasting out a reply in the comments
lol'd

But he's right, most people probably dont need $1000 cards

Bought a 1080 just after the ti was released and just before the mining spike. 500 yuropoors. Zero regrets.

Enthusiast builds aren't about need. They're about pushing shit as far as it can go. Anyone who is on their second day of building knows that a sub 200 card will game just fine but that's not what the high end is about. It's about pushing shit to the absolute limit to ensure you get the absolute best possible experience.

>Who Really Does Need A GTX 1080 Ti?
a pubg player on minimum settings @ 1080p for a stable 60 fps

>Implying I said my display is 60hz
Also, I said high settings, on medium I can get a solid 75

he literally says that the 4th sentence in
>if a $700 graphics card is what you really, truly want, and you have the disposable income to afford it, go for it.

People building enthusiast builds are not the majority of people buying gpu's

My PNY 1050ti was like 80 bucks used and doesn't even get warm with DX12 based modern games like doom4 in ultra and shit.

Whicu games need a 1080 yet?

Pubg I guess?

I have the 1050 4gb edition (not ti) and I haven't personally found anything I can't run.

>mfw just bought a 1080 Ti for 1080p/144Hz gaming
>It's a EVGA SC2 Hybrid as well for meme cooling
>Paired it with a Ryzen 1700X

purpecshun

This. i don't even play computer games. I just want better specs so I can look cool bragging on Sup Forums

You're right we don't need it. We want it. Me personally. I want one, So I don't have to upgrade for a while. Or if I want to upgrade from my 1440p monitor I could be ready. I just wanna future proof for the next 5 years. Don't plan on upgrading until then

Aka never ever

Because i have 3 1080p monitors and I don't ever want to have to buy a new gpu again.

>Thoughts ?
I want to punch pretentious nerds sometimes

The issue is most people, even on Sup Forums, have an obsession with maxing out every game. Everyone always asks what they need to max out every game at X resolution, which is a retarded question since every game is different and "ultra" isn't some defined standard. So a lot of people end up buying stuff more expensive than they need just to max out some poorly optimized AAA game with 8x MSAA.

>Enthusiast builds are about wasting money for no discernible reason just so the numbers are marginally higher

fixed that for you

I have a GTX 1080 and I regret not getting the TI :(

Also got an i5 and regret not getting the i7

I fell for the "you don't need a powerful computer!" meme

>tfw my 1080Ti hits 100% usage in main menu due to depth of field effect
Clearly not enough power

The 1080Ti came out 6 months after the 1080 and has never dropped below $700, and is usually significantly more expensive. Meabwhile 1080's were well below MSRP right before the mining boom, you could get one for $350-400 used and much less than $500 new. Ti is a scam now, I swear Nvidia did it in purpose. Ever since the 780Ti theyconvinced people to wait for overpriced garbage. 1050Ti was also the worst Pascal GPU in terms of value until the mining craze.

>stable 60 fps in pubg

good one, user

Who cares what I need? I buy what I want...

>Gamers
>Gamers
>Gamers
this

jesus fuck, this journalism is dildos

too bad, i already have one :^)

>People building enthusiast builds are not the majority of people buying gpu's

Well they are now. Today, higher-end iGPUs can successfully compete against entry-level discrete GPUs, severely curtailing the sub-$100 discrete GPU market and significantly shrinking total available market (TAM) of standalone cards. The only thing left in the discrete GPU market is the enthusiast sector of miners, neural net developers, and of couse gamers.

what is that animation trying to mean?

>tfw got a strix o11g 1080ti for £666, one of the cheapest prices its ever been
>totally worth it for 1440p 144fps. Hell doom runs maxed out 200fps cap
shame games aren't as optimised as that otherwise there wouldnt be a need for cards like the 1080ti

As someone whose gone through this with the GTX1000's
>Never buy cards on release
>Retailers mark up the shit out of cards
>Inventory is iffy and usually causes you to compromise on what brand to get
>Issues and defects haven't surfaced
>This is all besides the fact they're going to all get bought up by miners

Wait until the first price drop before you buy

>Video Game Graphics Are Super Efficient Now
HAHAHAHAHAHA, nice bait OP.

Something I've noticed as well, is that low settins nowadays looks like ultra from an era like Far Cry 2 or similar. Having Dota 2 on nearly lowest settings nowadays (notice how the lowest setting is now also called 'medium') makes it look incredibly good, you can zoom in on any character and the textures still look sharp. The shadows look good even on low settings (not a blob shadow but legit shadows)

It's like that in a ton of games.

True.

When it comes to GPU technology I'm always more excited about products like 1050Ti which are limited by the amount of power the can have delivered since they are powered just by the PCIE slot they're connected to so 75W tops.
This is the true testament of computing technology and the research that went into them.
Any retard can plop out a 1kW nitrogen cooled monster and say "zomg look how meni frames XD" before it starts throttling

I wished AMD diverted their resources into these things as well.

The only thing I can say is
>Browsing secondhand market for computer parts
>Spot a low profile GTX 1050Ti
>Makes sense since the infamous 750 Ti was a low profile
>Comparing specs when I spot the GTX 1030
>A Low profile, passive card can nearly keep up with the 750 Ti
>Have one on hand from a failed HTPC build and throw it into a spare computer
>Gets 20FPS on Heaven's extreme settings

Color me impressed

>Here are the system requirements for Overwatch. You could run it on a toaster if you plugged in a dusty old GeForce 8800.

you can't. the game requires dx10.1.

Is there really any point in getting more fps than your monitor's refresh rate? I heard that it makes thr game more responsive.

Didn't read the article, but is he really comparing this with Overwatch?

Does he not realize that game is a horrible comparison because, to an extent, that game is actually optimized? You can run it on a toaster, but the game will also crank the settings on higher end systems and dynamically change the resolution based on FPS if you allow it. Only a small percentage of games actually allow this. Probably a better benchmark is to take ANY modern Ubisoft game, since they flat out have said that they don't bother optimizing anymore and know gamers will just upgrade their systems anyways.

The article does have valid points. I'm using a three monitor 4k setup, mostly for 2d things like charts. Any GPU with enough dp connectors will do for that (but low-end don't have that). But try a game and it's obvious even high-end GPUs are too weak.

I don't think it's very common to spend $900 on a GPU and $100 on a monitor.. if you're buying a RX Vega or 1080 then you're probably going to get a good monitor?

No it adds nothing since your monitor is only going to refresh at whatever frequency it is capable at.
It good however for staying over say 60fps at 60hz as apposed to being at 60fps and dropping frames.

A 1050 ti can run nearly anything on max at 60 fps. There is literally no need for a 1080 unless you're obsessed with "future proofing"

>wanting shitty postprocessing unicorn rainbow jizz fucking up visibility everywhere

>using your gpu to play video games
Doing it wrong

I think it would have came off less like an attack if he framed the article like, 'PC gaming is all that more accessible'. That even a $75, $150 or $200 card can give you a fairly enjoyable experience, if not console-quality.

Instead, it comes off like, 'you wasted your money, you idiot'.

>he doesn’t have an ultrawide
I feel bad for anons who don’t get to experience the wonder that is ultrawides every day.

im gm and play on low settings, 120+fps > detail

Lol poorfag thread

>black bars when watching videos
>absolutely cancer for reading documents top to bottom
16:9 with 90 degree rotated 4:3 master race, it's about as comfy as it gets for 99% of applications

AMD's iGPU is good but it was always CPU bottlenecked making it shit in practice. Intel's iGPU is worthless trash wit shit drivers, even CSGO is barely playable. Intel has nothing that can come close to the 1030 or 550.

Framerate affects the mouse as well, so with FPS games the higher the better, even if you can't see the frames.

>black bars when watching videos
You can run 16:9 video windowed and keep something else visible alongside it. Wide format movies fill the screen perfectly and look amazing.
>absolutely cancer for reading documents top to bottom
You have the same amount of vertical space as a regular 1440p monitor unrotated. You can either open multiple pages side by side or have a single page with additional things on screen.

But still at best you're dividing the monitor into 16:9 and 5:9 or something like that. Which, granted, is not excellent, but when you can get a 1600x1200 TN monitor for sub $100 I don't see the reason to drop an extra couple hundred dollars on an ultrawide instead of just 16:9 1440p

this meme is shit. a goy is a non-jew

>I don't see the reason to drop an extra couple hundred dollars on an ultrawide instead of just 16:9 1440p
Compared to a dual monitor setup with an ultrawide you'd now be running three monitors instead of two, plus you wouldn't get any of the ultrawide specific advantages, such as proper fullscreen on wide format movies like I mentioned or wider res/FOV in games that support it. First person games in particular are incredible on ultrawides.