Sup Forums I don't normally come here but I am need help

Sup Forums I don't normally come here but I am need help

I was putting my new pc together with my cousin and once we got everything in it's place we turned it on and it worked.

Then we realized we forgot the wireless Internet card and went to put it in.

It didn't fit with the case so he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards.

When we went to turn on the pc again everything was on for a split second before the whole thing went dark. I can't turn it on anymore, and it doesn't seem to be getting anything from the power cable/outlet as my headset, which is plugged into the pc, is no longer being charged.

Please help me Sup Forums

Pic related is the wireless Internet card

Use the wifi cable instead.

Does it work with the card removed?

That it does not.

Dead motherboard

Fuuuuuuuck, is there anything I can do to save it or is it fucked? It's an MSI Krait

You need to be over the age of 18 to visit this site.

It's fucked because you guys were retarded
Parts are not meant to be manhandled

I don't know Sup Forums things I'm just trying to get this build working, spending over 1500 on this.

Its not a Sup Forums thing to know you shouldn't stick something into a hole the wrong way around. Hence why you are probably mentally underage to be attempting such a feat. I'll make it clear for you, your cousin has once again, fucked you.

>so he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards.
W H A T

>It didn't fit with the case so he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards.

It is a requirement to have an iq of 60+ to build a pc.

>he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards

just rma the board and claim it was defective

Your dumbass cousin broke shit, go but a prebuilt.

seconded. what does this even mean.

Judging by the image he was too retarded to fit the card normally so he took the metal support that sticks into a slot in the case and bent it around so he could make the card do a 180° flip.

rip in piss

not to pile on, but you and your cousin are dumbasses. some components might require force to seat properly, but none require you to fucking MODIFY THE COMPONENT ITSELF

Post pictures of this bent metal thing you speak of

They've just watched too much LinuxShillTricks and the retardation rubbed off.

You put the card in upsidedown in the motherboard? How do you even do that?

Sounds like he put it in a PCI slot, not a PCIe slot.

The OP image does show it. That tab coming out at a right angle is supposed to be straight.

>It didn't fit with the case so he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards.
she's dead, jim
they're not reversable

If its brand new try to contact customer support. Its a bitch move because you ruined it by putting the card in BACKWARDS but if you use your words correctly they'll send you a new one

considering it's a PCI card, you should hope he put it in a PCI slot

problem with modern PCI cards is that they are symmetrical
the notch was originally just on one side, but during the switch from 5v to 3.3v, the notch was moved to the other side
then later cards got support for both 5v or 3.3v, requiring both notches to fit in any slot

Nothing wrong with bending metal, iv smashed old small cases to get big gfx cards to fit but he put it in backwards... Which is full on retarded

OP if you're lucky you only killed the motherboard. You can try to return it under warranty and claim it was defective. Worst case you also fried the CPU and possibly the power supply as well by shorting it out.

he did this

I'm really sorry to hear this OP
I've had new toys broken on Christmas too

Sup Forums is 18+, also I hope it blew out your jewshit processor

how would you ever think that's a good idea?

I was thinking it was more like this.

that would work, unless the reason the expansion slot bracket didn't fit because he inserted the card into a PCI-E slot instead of a PCI slot, which has a different offset (deliberately to avoid this from accidentally happening)

but that shouldn't really mess anything up if it actually fits in the slot properly

Oops yeah that's true.

>look up "msi krait"
>some of them don't even have a PCI slot
oh shit, op's cuz might have actually tried to fit it into a PCI-E slot

You don't get to bitch when companies fuck you over.

>problem with modern PCI cards is that they are symmetrical
The connector might be, but not the card. You can only mash it in the wrong side by putting the bracket towards the front of the case, and noone, not even OP, would be stupid enough to do that.

i understand that, my point is just that it can be inserted backwards without modifying the slot itself, and being symmetrical might give the impression of reversibility
still, the bracket not fitting or lining up with the back of the case should have been enough of a warning that that's not what's supposed to be done

Just out of curiosity, did he do this while you were looking away, or with your approval?

Also please verify whether this was the case.

Is that actually even possible? Even if you bent the bracket, wouldn't the key for a PCIE connector prevent you from putting the card into the slot?

>he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards

Please post a picture of the connector you tried to put it into, and how you put it in it.

op's picture shows that it's a PCI card
the back isn't visible, so it's not clear if it's a dual-voltage card, but it mostly likely is
the large section of a pci-e 16x slot is long enough to physically insert a pci card into, though all it'll do it short out a bunch of pins

To the retard, it looks like it would be able to work

OP was secondhand retard by allowing retard #1 to bend metal and let him stick it in his $1500 computer

Meh. Ive done this a hundred times on my wifi cards, when the case does not fit. It's just a piece of tin. Op probably rekt a slot or something

>the large section of a pci-e 16x slot is long enough to physically insert a pci card into
I just tried this, and it isn't.

Whenever would the case not fit? I've never had this problem, and not for lack of assembling enough computers or using cheap cases.

looked like it might from searching for images for comparison
if not, then i guess he must have put it into a PCI slot backwards

But noone could be that retarded. If anything, it might be possible if the motherboard had an open-ended PCIE connector.

It's been known to happen

You're fucked. Contact the manufacturer and tell them it was DOA. Don't tell them you fucked with it.

To be fair to him, he was just trolled good and proper by his "friend".

It were some chink cases, and the card was a bit beefy. Still works till this day.

>Still works till this day.
I don't really doubt that it works, I just strongly suspect that you're simply not putting it in right. I have had cheap cases where you need to wiggle the card just right to make the tab on the bracket line up with the poorly designed slot in the case, but I've never had one where it truly doesn't fit.

that does actually work if you insert it into an 8x, 4x, or 1x pci-e slot
but judging from the additional small notch, that card was inserted into a pci slot, not a pci-e slot

I can't believe people suggest this without batting an eye. It's no wonder companies have to treat their customers like shit when they get treated like shit back.

I know, but if you weren't trolling, you wouldn't say that it's supposed to "cut on the dotted line". Also that card most likely isn't PCIE, but AGP.

it's not AGP
AGP pins are staggered, not straight, and they have notches in different positions

merry xmas OP
dont worry. dont lie.
just start the RMA process for everything now
you won't know what all you've fucked up until you get new shit.
may have killed the motherboard.
may have killed the CPU.
may have killed the PSU.
may have killed the GPU.
one thing is for sure. you bought the wifi card but those are cheap.

request RMA with the title of DOA.
do not try to explain anything.
just DOA.

>AGP pins are staggered
I know, but it's hard to tell from the picture if the contacts are staggered or not. It's difficult to believe it's PCIE since it lacks the tab to the left of the connector. I guess the idiot could have removed it, but there are no visible traces of it at all. It also doesn't seem like it could have the holding tab that's normally on the right of a 16x PCIE connector.

you can see a bit of blank pcb where the tab used to be
as further proof, AGP never had SLI, and that card has an SLI connector on it

>you can see a bit of blank pcb where the tab used to be
Hmmm, I guess. Nevertheless, I don't think his friend would've said to cut along the dotted line unless he were gunning for it to fail.

it's a dangerous thing to suggest, i agree

It's also possible he bought a PCI card that had the wrong voltage slot, but I thought this hasn't been a problem since 1999

i seriously doubt there's any new pci slots or cards that are not universal

This. Its most likely the motherboard, so start with that, but if you go with the dead on arrival spin they should replace it for you no problem.

I feel nothing. I am now dead inside.

this is why you should buy anything tech related on amazon I have only had to do it twice but if shit dies they let you send the old one back sometimes the replacement arrives before you even send the broken thing

> It didn't fit with the case so he turned it around, bent the metal, and put it in backwards.
My condolences.

Lol future /diy/

Gr8 B8 OP!

No one is that stupid.

I don't believe someone this stupid could figure out how to post here.

So you gather brand new parts to build a new PC yet for some reason you try to install a PCI card from 2005 on it. You manage to put everything together and having it work except for the forementioned piece of conveniently obsolete technology. You claim to have accomplished the impossible feat of inserting it into the motherboard's slot despite the fact they're designed with notches to prevent specifically this sort of thing unless you drill them out. After seeing that the card does not work, you decide the best course of action is to achieve the equally impossible feat of inserting it backwards just by bending a piece of the metal brace. You take a picture of just the old damaged junk and make a droll Sup Forums thread.

OP here. Just gonna say the mobo is good and the pc is fine.

no

why would you even need to bend it when it very clearly has screws on it

>spending over 1500 on this
>bend shit and put it in backwards if it doesn't fit
I wonder if people this retarded truly exist.

is 1500 supposed to be alot? i guess nig life drastically changes perspectives.

>open endes pcie
buddy thats not a thing and never has been.

It is if you are underage and no fortunate son.

That guy probably wanted to fit his card (pci-e) into an AGP slot.
Cutting off pci-e works actually. I removed the pins from a G210 to make it fit into a x1 slot.

>he

F

Yes it is. I've seen several boards with slots as in pic related.

It's not exactly a fun amount to flush down the toilet.