/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Rose Edition

Christmas edition.

>Delid your CPU
youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzNpTOaOw

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ccB2gL
youtube.com/watch?v=DD2snaPATbI&t=0s
pcpartpicker.com/list/pYcQ8K
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923
amazon.com/dp/B06XFG7157/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BAxqAb7H031V1
youtube.com/watch?v=DD2snaPATbI
pccasegear.com/products/40504/asus-rog-strix-z370-i-gaming-itx-motherboard
pccasegear.com/products/40895/asus-rog-strix-b350-i-gaming-motherboard
imgur.com/a/KuXdQ
www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Lenovo-Y520-15IKBN/p/88GMY500808
newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233992
newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145037&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117825&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Allright goyim please rate this. Alsop should I get a better 1080p and if so any recommendations?
pcpartpicker.com/list/ccB2gL

Drop to an 8400 and get a better PSU and a 2TB HDD
Get a keyboard without chink switches if you can

lel, ok thank you, any advice on the monitor?

youtube.com/watch?v=DD2snaPATbI&t=0s

Why is the 3gb 1060 recommended at all?

Drop to i5 8400
Get the 1080p monitor in the OP

Because it's great for 1080p if you care about framerate and not Ultra textures

Thank you,

didnt he uploaded a new video.
i miss the days when Sup Forums discovered rose

It's a she
I've done extensive research

>intel
>for anything under 120hz
trash taste on that keyboard and case too
as for the display IPS makes a HUGE difference
in my list I added a display which is not only ips but has freesync for super smooth gameplay even at low framerates (requires a AMD card which is faster than the 1060 anyways so)

pcpartpicker.com/list/pYcQ8K
(The list says 41.95 for the keyboard because the price from 3rd party merchants on amazon is lower)

Best budget 1440p monitor? (My specs are i7 6700k not overclocked, gtx 170, 16gb of ram)

My RX 580 4GB is reaching temps of 90C while The Witcher 3 is running on Ultra with the 2K Res mod+NVidia Hairworks. Is that normal? I'm getting 65FPS but I'll gladly lower my graphics settings if that temp is doing damage to my card

It's just a meme you dolt.

It'll throttle itself before the temperature does any damage

Cheapest decent one is about 400

>It'll throttle itself before the temperature does any damage
What does that mean? I just built this thing two days ago.

It could be bad thermal paste application since most rx 580s have a good open air cooler.
Try reapplying the thermal paste the right way (dot in the middle and press the cooler down on to the chip) also make sure not to lose any of the thermal pads for any of the other components and reapply them.
If thats not the case it could be that there is bad airflow to the card, try and do some cable management to alleviate that.
Also check that the fans are actually working, fans can get stuck due to dust.

Throttling means the card lowers its speed to stay below dangerous temperatures.

Reposting because I can't figure this shit out

I have a Ryzen 5 1600, Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 mobo and RX580 GPU. When I turn the system on there is no output to the monitor and the VGA light on the motherboard is turned on. The graphics card is getting power and the GPU fans are turned on, and the HDMI is plugged into the GPU but still nothing on my monitor. Any ideas anons? I tried resetting the CMOS but that did nothing

where is the 580 faster than the 1060? I used your case if you dont mind, I changed the keyboard.

Most definitely faster than a 1060 3GB, many times edging out the 1060 6gb.
I also highly recommend you get the monitor i suggested, the tn panel you selected is simply awful compared to an IPS display.

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-580/3639vs3923

>Save money for new PC build
>Friends ask me out for christmas for a round of drinks
>Somehow end up with 500 dollar less the day after
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
WHY DO I HAVE FRIENDS

I upgraded to a 1080ti and i7-7700k And some DDR4 3000 RAM, and when I played Rainbow Six Siege, I was getting some frame drops, which shouldn't be happening, as my old CPU always kept me above 60 and that was a haswell.
I haven't gotten my new windows active, so could that be the issue? What's wrong?

Found the culprit.
Considering that I have 3 fans in my case (1xfront, 2xback) and that my GPU idles at 55c, what should my fan speed be set to?

>warden lolis
I just started playing Persona 5, and now I'm seeing it everywhere.

Kaby Lake optimisation issues along with bugs
Try a reinstall of the game, update your drivers, make sure your power plans prefer performance, overclock hardware if you want (at least check that it's running at full boost speeds), and/or check forum posts from other users.

Probably some driver issues. Update your GPU driver and reinstall the game.

Make sure that your CPU, board, and VGA power connectors are all properly plugged in.
Make sure that your video card is seated properly (may have to take it out and put it back)

Definitely make sure that your monitor is on.

Yep all of that is fine, and I tested the monitor with a different device and it worked fine

Judging by the leds the CPU and ram seem to pass the POST test, could the GPU just be faulty? I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet because I never built a PC before but that's the indicator that is staying on now.

>Power On Self Test test
Anyway, card related problems could be that you aren't making proper PCI-e or power contact.
The fact that it turned on makes me thing that you just aren't seating it right.

Can I get some laptop buying tips here? Doesn't seem to be many laptop threads.
Was thinking of buying this
Dell Inspiron i5577-5328BLK-PUS,15.6" Gaming Laptop,(Intel Core i5 (up to 3.5 GHz),8GB,1TB HDD),NVIDIA GTX 1050 amazon.com/dp/B06XFG7157/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BAxqAb7H031V1
I wouldn't mind spending a bit more than that ($700) if it's actually neccesary.

Already have a tower so other than that while staying in the in the same general price range are there any adjustments I should make?

That's harshly mediocre.
I would want at least a 1050 Ti or 1060 3GB.

I'll trying pushing it in a little more, but I'm pretty sure it's in all the way since the little lock clicked shut. I took it out and put it in twice but I'll try it again in the morning, thanks user.

Also my case didn't come with standoffs for some reason so I had to use normal screws on the motherboard temporarily until I can get proper ones, that wouldn't have any effect would it? The motherboard is the right distance from the case there's just no standoffs between it for now

So when are the next decent sales hitting?

>finally got a decent PC
>do nothing but shitpost
I should've bought a new car instead.

>No standoffs
Oh God please no
Do not leave that on

Yeah but you cant shit post with a car

It's only until I can get some shipped but I don't see it causing any issues since the back of the mobo is not touching the case. There's one standoff that's fixed to the case which is keeping it the correct distance

It's a very easy way to fry your board and potentially your connected components.
Be very careful.

Get a used T400 Thinkpad.

Hey guys So im getting a 1060 with 1080p reso. Should I just get a 4/580 with a freesync monitor or should I stick with what I have and if so any recommendations?

How do I keep moths from getting on my monitor

If I try to squish them with a paper tissue they leave their guts all over my screen every time

Any bug repellent for LED screens?

Close your window?

does SMT/hyperthreading help all that much for virtual machines or can I cheap out and just get a 6 core i5?
inb4 ryzen, iGPU is a necessity

this
i could bought off a decent used car but instead i bought 8700k and a 1080ti
fucking hell

Hey Rose can you recommend me a PC case?

I cannot decide between the Phanteks P300 and the Fractal Design Meshify C

I can get the P300 for 95NZD and the Meshify C for 179NZD.

Other Sup Forumsentlemen are also welcome to respond

Had this problem. It's the Windows 10 Creator's update fucking everything up. Update your drivers. Then find the R6:Siege exe right click --> properties --> compatibility tab --> Disable full screen optimizations. It's fucking Windows trying to """"""optimize""""" your experience

why not a p400s instead of a p300?

Can't use DDR3 with any recent CPU, numbnuts

If you need a monitor get the Optix in the OP and a reasonably priced 580. If you don't need a monitor just get the 1060

Seems like you have other problems.

Get the i7 8700

I'd prefer to keep my window open since my room is badly ventilated

I did consider the p400s but it's the same price as the meshify c, and at that price I would rather choose the latter.

The only thing I'm concerned about p300 is airflow and aesthetics. With the meshify c, I really like the front panel, but it's also quite expensive at the moment.

Do you guys think it will get any cheaper soon from where I'm from?

Fit a screen to the window, maybe placing mothballs near your monitor might work but i don't think spray-on monitor repellent would work real well even if it was a thing.

I'm been seriously considering upgrading for a while now. I'd keep my 390 as the video card.
Everything will fit in my current case, I just want to know if this build is worth it if I'm upgrading from an i5 2500.
I'm learning some game dev stuff and wanted to start playing around with some VMs for school.

Merry Christmas
youtube.com/watch?v=DD2snaPATbI

any suggestions for a monitor? running a GTX 1060 3gb graphics card for now, and I was looking at getting a proper monitor instead of running it on a tv.

I've been curious on why there are 3gb and a 6gb versions of the gtx 1060, is the extra 3gb a big difference in performance?

The 3 gig version has gimped hardware, the 6 gig version has the full card

3gb is cheaper, and most games will be okay with it from what I've seen
6gb is better, and more "futureproof".
if you mostly play normie multiplayer shit like dota/overwatch/league, the 3gb should be okay. otherwise go 6gb if you want newer single player games to look shiny, or just general games that eat up memory like GTA5.
that said if you are fine with playing everything on medium/low settings then it really doesn't matter that much.

pic related

When does the fractal r6 release happen

>fractal r6
that fucking retarded black front panel on the white edition

any mobo suggestions for 8700k? also, how fast do i want my memory to be? thinking either 3200 or 3000, and 16 or 32 gb?

sup /pcbg/.
Currently planning a high end ITX build mainly for gay-men eventually on a 1440p 21:9 monitor with maybe one or two other monitors as auxiliary.
Tossing up between either of these two boards;
pccasegear.com/products/40504/asus-rog-strix-z370-i-gaming-itx-motherboard
pccasegear.com/products/40895/asus-rog-strix-b350-i-gaming-motherboard
If I go with the Z370, I'll probably aim for an 8600K, where if I go with the B350 it'd free up a bit more cash to aim for a 1700X or even push to an 1800X (even though I'd know it'd be overkill). I'd overclock either one with a goal being close to around 4.5ghz-ish base.
I've been gifted a GTX1060 6GB which will be more than adequate for the time being (currently gay-men on 1080p 60hz), although I'd aim to upgrade to what ever next flagship xx80Ti card is in about 6 months time along with a monitor.
Should I go i5? Should I go Ryzen7? Should I save a couple hundred more for an 8700K? If I go AMD is it worthwhile or a waste of time going with an X370 board over the B350?
Prices are Aussie dollars if it makes much of a difference.
>pic related is currently the case I'm leaning toward

Is getting the Asus PG279Q pointless for Ryzen 1700/6GB 1060 gtx? Wanting a monitor primarily for work (27" 1440p IPS) but if I'm already spending reasonable money, figured spending extra to have something that also is useful for non-work stuff would be the way to go - worthwhile or is there an alternative that will cover my work needs and be handy for afterwards too?

The lord's bday has just passed and you are bragging about being a gay man?
Anyway, the new xx80TI won't be out in the next 6 months. For reference, the 1080 was released in May 2016, the 1080ti was released in March.
Nvidia hasn't even released info on Volta yet aside from Titan V.

yo my dudes I'm not a tech guy but I wanna make a budger gaming pc
I would a i7 16gb ram 240gb SSD 4GB gtx1050TI be enough to run most of the shit?
Thanks my senpaitachi peace out

It'll run anything but pairing a 1050ti with an i7 for a gaming pc is a retarded choice.

alright thanks for the help. Why is it retarded though?

Are case fans more important for CPU or GPU cooling?

Go for i5/ryzen 5 + 1060 6gb/rx 580 instead, you will get better price/perf

Because you'll be gpu limited 99% of the time even with an i3 or r3 cpu so you're just wasting your money(for gaming) by buying an i7.

A $120 i3 with a $250 gpu will consistently smoke your $300 i7 and $150 gpu.

Sup Forums

got it my senpaitachi

Family members

I'm looking for a decent case. Looking to spend 90 dollaroos max. Tempered glass/not tempered glass, I don't care

Fair enough. Realistically a current 1080Ti is still absolutely more than adequate for what I'd want for the next 5+ years and I'm sure it'd still smash all the FPSs I'd play on 1440p anyway. But for the time being the 1060 I have will more than suffice on my current monitor setup and I'm happy to wait and see what happens.

Yes

You ironically replied to the wrong post motherfucker. I didn't ask a yes or no question. Your meme reply isn't warranted. Fuck you. I'm tracing you ip adress RIGHT NOW you bitch ass nigger. You have two minutes to supply me with an actual answer or I'm icing your ass.

Should I wait for Zen 2?

is there a single damn review of the locked 8700 with the stock cooler? can't find any

I have the 8700. Used the stock cooler initially and the temperatures were "ok" (never really stretched it desu) but it was kind of noisy. Got an H7 for it and am very happy

what do you mean by "ok" did it ever thermal throttle on the stock cooler? assuming you have decent airflow case and not a fan choking tempered glass torture chamber

GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P is good?

imgur.com/a/KuXdQ
That chip is hot AF. Don't go with the stock cooler

is there a better deal on dual 1440p 144hz monitors than this? i have amazon prime if that helps

I'm looking to enhance the potential for audio and media-related things for my rig, but the thing is I don't know what components to get. I'd like to be able to connect my PC to wi-fi, use bluetooth for my various wireless devices, and also have internal speakers.

I had never bothered with any of these things when I built my PC years ago, as I had my setup near my router for ethernet connectivity, and I used headphones exclusively and had no bluetooth devices like I do now. So what are Sup Forums's recommendations for these things?

I know this is PCbg but I thought this is the most fitting place to ask about laptops.
Is this a good deal anons?
www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Lenovo-Y520-15IKBN/p/88GMY500808
Looks cringey but the specs seem good on both laptips. I have a ssd I could pop in there so I'm fine with w/e the drive is.

Lol I saw your previous post, failer

Fuck you :c

Is this RAM compatible with this motherboard and CPU??

newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233992

newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145037&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

newegg.com/global/ie/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117825&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

yes

>Scythe Mugen5 Rev.B cooler
take your meme aftermarket motherboard snapping coolers and fuck off I asked about the stock cooler not your scythe shit

Can tell how? After I googled this RAM is says it is compatible with intel 100 series MOBO, whereas I want to get a z370 MOBO

>memory problems with just a single stick no matter which slot
There's no chance it could be the mobo, right?

Yes it could. Most likely actually.

Is the Steam controller a cashgrab? Are console controllers cheaper on Amazon uk on holidays?

Sorry, didn't clarify enough.
I have 2 sticks, but it's always the same one that gives errors at some point when testing (8144MB OK errors start at 8145) or windows having a memory management error. Other stick is fine no matter which slot.

Trying to go under 2k USD for gaming at 144hz for my first build. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ram issue user from yesterday here.

PC works as normal now, 4,4 gb usage (of which 1,8 gb is browser tabs and spotify).

tl;dr windows 10 a shit