Projector

Do you think a projector is a good investment? I don't hae a television and just want to use it to watch movies, play games, and go on my computer in the luxury of my own bed. I found a well reviewed one for $90 on amazon. Is it worth it? should I just buy a television instead? I was thinking of having my stuff projecting on the ceiling of my bedroom.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Yaufey-Portable-Projector-support-Smartphone/dp/B071W2VWGF/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514262919&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=projector&psc=1
amazon.com/NEC-NP-M311W-Projector/dp/B00A0XLJSO
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>$90
I don't think you can get anything good for that price, plus have you seen tvs lately? They are in the 70-80" range. I guess more people see things as a passing fancy over a long term investment.

dirt cheap projector - maybe if you dont have tv

investment ? certainly not... laser projectors are around the corner and awesome... you can already buy a xaomi laser projector for 2000 dollars and price will just keep dropping ... i have a 55" LCD... laser will be next purchase

I had your idea, bought a 60€ one on amazon. 1200 lumen, 800*480, shitty software and construction and I'm happy with it anyway, having a cinema in your room is really a game changer.

If you want a suggestion buy something less cheap or something used with a decent lamp. The problem with chinese ones apart from the brightness (they're all new projects with led lamps so it's easy to achieve decent results) is resolution (sub-hd on 120" isn't that enjoyable) and the lack of software corrections, you just can't use the optical geometric correction, it is better with a wrong rectangle than blurred.

But if you're poor like me and don't mind about these problems go for it, it's great, just pair a decent speaker

I got two $800 projectors for free. They're nice, way better than TVs for watching movies, but shitty for gayman (but so are TVs).

Don't cheap out. Get a decent resolution and lumen, and get a proper audio setup. Stereo is good enough imo. Properly setup surround is awesome, but most people are incapable of doing that.

op here thinking of this one
amazon.com/Yaufey-Portable-Projector-support-Smartphone/dp/B071W2VWGF/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514262919&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=projector&psc=1

Digital projection is dildos. Get a big TV.

not OP but have the same questions

>~$300 budget (have amazon giftcards, must be from there)
>need at least legit 1080p (anything less and I may as well get a normal 4k tv)

I mainly want a projector because it seems to the most realistic way to get 70" or bigger without going over $1k. pic related is what I'm looking at, although it's only 480p. might be fun to play around with, but would much rather 1080p

Buddy of mine has a 120" screen in his basement, but his projector is 480p. Looks like absolute dogshit

You won't get anything decent at that price. Ask around at offices, schools etc if they're getting rid of old equipment, I got mine from a school I did some work for.

the thing is, no school around me is gonna have any modern projectors, let alone give them away

I'll look at auctions. my friend got an old ass 1080p one for $200, and it's legit 70cm by 70 by 70. its huge

Do you live in Detroit or some shit? I got two of these.
amazon.com/NEC-NP-M311W-Projector/dp/B00A0XLJSO

At least 2000 lumens, it will make your room hot. Movies 10/10, gayming not so hot.

how about for computer use and simple game emulators?

I Run an n64 emulator well, some games don't sync mouse properly, refresh rate issue. General browsing is doable, but I still find I prefer using a monitor (or just my phone). Get blackout drapes, and make yourself a nice shelf, it is totally worth it though.

>1280x800
That's not exactly brilliant for nigh-2018 on a fuckhuge screen. I mean it's fine for slide show presentations, I wouldn't use it for much else.

I keep forgetting they list that, I get 1080p from it for whatever reason.

I've been using an optoma hd26 in my room for the past 2 or so years.
Got for 500 bucks and it was so worth it.
You definitely need a screen to go with your projector or else the color and everything will look like shit.
There's also a lot of planning that goes into setting one up properly. Throw distance, size and angle all come into play. Projector central website has a calculator for most projectors out there so you can make sure the positioning is spot on.
Only downside is the heat output and possibly noise. We mostly use it to play games or watch movies when people come over.

There's a 43 inch 4k tv for 185 bucks on Newegg today. Sale should still be going for another hour or so I think. It's called the atyme. New company that started up but the price is just too good to resist.

Because the projector probably supports 1080p input, but actually has 1280x800 pixels, much like how old 720p TVs also accept 1080p despite not being able to display it. Unless you counted the pixels and confirmed the resolution, that is.

is it actual 1080p or just upscaled?

i live in a decent area, but the schools use smartboards, so there's very few projectors that aren't just overhead projectors

>$900 CAD right now
fuck

Well check ebay. I remember seeing it for 300 or so bucks the other month. Obviously that projector is fairly old so the prices will be out of wack to get it new. I think they made at least 2-3 more newer models to replace the hd26.

>Do you think a projector is a good investment?
no, electronics typically lose value over time.

I don't think a projector will be the right choice for you op. I guess you can try the cheap ones but I personally wouldn't. I just needed an entry level projector with a 1080p resolution and a high lumens output.
Check YouTube videos to see if those cheap mini ones are good. A decent entry level one will run you a couple hundred dollars.

If you need a projector for a novelty thing you can get 'ok" ones for 100 or so bucks.

If you looking for a TV replacement, something as good as an ok looking TV your going to spend $500-600 minimum for a good projector you'll also want to spend some money on a decent screen, nothing too expensive and yes a projector screen does matter because a projector screen's goal is to reflect the projected light back to you and a stupid sheet or a white wall doesn't do the best job

You need at least a 720p NATIVE and again I stress that word NATIVE resolution. Do not be fooled by projectors that claim FHD

If you were getting something sub 100, go for a used name brand with low hours on the lamp. Avoid those Chinesium pos with PSP tier resolutions (support means Jack if the Native resolution isn't even HD) and inflated Lumen ratings.
I've got two myself. A refurb from the BenQ outlet and a new LG minibeam. The latter is being dumped on eBay for 200 burgers, cause it came bundled with the LG Vwhatever. It's 720p, LCoS and battery powered. Really need to control the light with this one, it's only 100 Lumens, but the scale is logarithmic, so it doesn't completely washout in some light. Goes for up to two hours off the outlet. The BenQ TH670 is a traditional halogen lamp DLP with a 4 part RGBW color wheel. Despite the simpler color wheel compared to the fancier RGBRGB W1070/HT2050, it hides rainbow artifacts very well and only shows it in high contrast, black on white images.

cheap projectors look like washed out shit unless you get a real high gain screen, and then it will look.... ok.

if you want a projector, you need good light control, a high lumen output, and a good screen

pic related, my projector

I dont have a TV anymore, just a projector, monitors, tablet, laptop and vr.

I would suggest not cheaping out, buy at least a 1080p benq or optoma model, you dont need to buy a 2k epson or a real expensive laser setup, but dont buy one of these pico things or some cheapo chinese shit for like 100 dollars.