/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask questions that don't deserve their own thread.
Look it up first: startpage.com

Here's my question:
How the hell do you install programs in Debian that aren't in the repository??? ie GNU Icecat

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.livestreamer.io/
streamlink.github.io/
getpaint.net/
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/52.3.0/
alternativeto.net/software/kolourpaint/?platform=windows
support.bitpay.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005559826
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Certificates#Adding_trusted_certificates
pastebin.com/4uMgV5Zd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How do I contract webms on Firefox with Sup Forums x once expanded?

Anyone had any experience with Dell's "Certified Refurbished" outlet?
Thinking of getting an XPS 13 from there.

kids have laptops from school
laptops run windows 7
they are locked out from installing any programs.

we would like them to be able to play minecraft on them (vanilla or win10 version)

how can i get around school's permissions to either
A) install minecraft java edition
B) upgrade to windows 10 and get the win10 UWP from windows store?

How do you guys escape the Google botnet and use services such as YouTube?

>contract
wat

There isn't really any major alternatives to YouTube just yet so the best you could do right now is use something like Hooktube to watch videos

just create fake gmail

Make smaller

isnt it just build from source

my stupid question:
someone explain how to filter json with JQ to a stupid person, i can't comprehend it

docs.livestreamer.io/

Definition of contract
transitive verb

4 : to reduce to smaller size by or as if by squeezing or forcing together

contract a muscle

fucking retarded nigger use the new one
streamlink.github.io/

also hooktube

He means like un-expand them
I know there's some way but I'm not on my computer right now to check

>How the hell do you install programs in Debian that aren't in the repository??? ie GNU Icecat
Generally, there will either be an additional repository you can add, or a .deb file you can download and install(like you'd do with Windows). Sometimes you'll need to use make to compile the program yourself if only the sourcecode is available(but most of the time you'll find a .deb installer since debian and derivatives are so popular).

>4
Just say minimize

Very specific question here but it's really important. There's a chance for me to get this tv screen LG 43UJ630V for a pretty cheap price. I want to use it as my pc screen, have been using a 32" tv screen for a while now. But I can't find proper information on the refresh rate. My main problem here is if it will have 60hz for playing games in 4k.

How do I build from source though and where do I get the source for Icecat?
Same question as above but where would I find the .deb for Icecat too?

i have multiple machines and im running out of space. is getting a dedicated NAS worth it or should i just get bigger drives?

Did you just copy-paste OP or did you actually read it?

works 4 me:
3TB WD MyCloud

i mean, i have to get bigger drives anyway, but should i stick to my current setup or is NAS a superior alternative.

What do you mean?

different question

when i build ffmpeg from source there is this folder that is created and a .sh file that is blue

how to build from source without those files?

Just broaden your neanderthal vocabulary

most of the stuff isnt something i would consider putting on a cloud for various reasons

it's not "the cloud"
it is your own personal NAS

No one says fucking "contract" when they could instead say:
shrink
minimize
collapse
diminish
Who fucking needs to change their vocabulary now faggot?

it's easy
just grab your arch linux live boot usb, insert into laptop, boot into bios and set boot order to prioritize the usb to first, boot into the live boot usb, install arch on the computer replacing windows, download virtualbox and emulate windows inside of arch, then install minecraft inside your VM.

i used to be able to get around win98 and winXP.. never tried win7 or later.

Literally the first result on google.

What's the best image editor for literal retards that isn't ms paint
i can't into photoshop or gimp

When you search for what?

literally laffing at your life

Like an alternative for ms paint or what? Try KolourPaint

icecat

oh ok, im looking at it now, thanks

>laffing
>affing
>aff

Parents kicking me out soon.
I dont have a job or friends to help me out.
What do I do.

so I have a github repository for my website
the repository is public, is that stupid and should I make it private?
there's a couple bits of bash and javascript associated, it's not a problem right now but I'm guessing I will be expanding at some point and I want to set up some best practices now

Suck off a hobo so he would let you live with him and learn the ancient craft of homelessness, because you sure seem like a fuckup and I can't imagine a different outcome for you

just ms paint but with more features, but still something you can understand and use right out of the box.
also i'm on windows and it doesn't look like kolourpaint is for windows, or at least i can't find an .exe anywhere

getpaint.net/

Thanks I appreciate it.

join:
military
convent/monastery
peace corps
job corps

monastery seems like the best option since there is no regular military employment here or any of the other things you mentioned.

Just got this Sempron 2400, 1GB DDR2, 80GB PC. What should I do with it?

So I got the .tar.bz2 file from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/52.3.0/ but what do I do with it?

Overclock it,get some more ram and add 2017 used GPU from ebay.

Install Windows 98 if it supports AGP.
tar xvjf

I got a Mi Box for Christmas, i want to get all those free "stream everything" apps.
I heard about Kodi, i heard about mobdro, but i have no idea how to install and configure any of those.
Can someone gimme some help?

Yeah Kolourpaint is only on Linux, try some of these: alternativeto.net/software/kolourpaint/?platform=windows

have fun watching cam versions of free tv shows

Uh what do I put in ? The location to the tar file?

Yes, maybe. Or cd to that directory and press Tab if it's the only file there.

>overclock
I don't think this mobo allows that, even if it did the gains would be negligible.

>Windows 98
Doom machine will be it then. Wouldn't 98 shit itself with 1GB or something like that? Should I remove one stick?

What's the point of these things? Doesn't the "smart" functionality of TVs do the same thing? Or is this thing meant for non-smart TVs?

Hmm, i heard those apps had HD versions of stuff.
At the end of the day, i am used to torrenting what I want. I would like to set up the mi box for my family, as they arent very tech literate

Smart TVs get outdated and are basically botnet.

Ok it's extracted now what

How do I stop myself from bottoming out on my mechanical keyboard (mx browns)?

So I am cloning my laptop hdd to ssd I want to use it it's place
But I also want to use the old drive as a second drive inside HDD caddy
Can you have two identical deives in one system?

support.bitpay.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005559826

not sure if this is the right board to ask but does anyone know anything about bitpay? its a payment processor to purchase services. Before it would just give me a btc wallet address and amount to transfer funds to but not it gives some shitty ref link and someshit about me having to register.

Now I use online wallet and it doesnt support that bitpay protocol. My question can desktop bitcoin (core) wallet use that or do I still need to register with bitpay?

Its such a fucking inconvenience and loses the whole fucking point

Try /biz/

Yes, one will be master and will have boot priority

its impossible to get a coherent reply from biz, also its /g related because I want to buy a vps

>buy one of those 5.25" multimedia front panel things with compact flash
>buy a game boy/gba cartridge dumper
how hard would it be to convert the compact flash bay into a game boy cartridge reader by splicing the two together somehow?

ok

Practice. But why do you care? Just do what is natural to you.

I think I would be able to type faster if I don't have to push all the way down on the keys. Plus it would be quieter without the sound of bottoming out.

didn't get any replies last time.

I got a Chromecast, VLC pretty much works perfectly on windows, gives me a certificate warning and the option to trust it.

But on Linux it doesn't work that smooth.
I went through the distro's wiki, and got it to work with gnutls-cli.
It shows up as verified but when I try it on cvlc with sout [2], it keeps saying the TLS handshake fails.

[1] wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Certificates#Adding_trusted_certificates
[2] pastebin.com/4uMgV5Zd ) it

What's a hassle free and decent alternative to veracrypt? the piece of shit won't encrypt my thinkpad and is stuck on "Booting..." at the pre-test after it concluded succesfully

None.

how do i move my files (including my OS to my new ssd) do i need an external program?

Macrium Reflect

Yes. dd on Linux, Acronis True Image on Windows, that's what I tried. There should be free solutions for Windows, but I never tried them, one might be Clonezilla.

Macrium Reflect. Don't use anything else. You can make a bootable medium to do it, but it also works just fine from within windows.

Android blocks making screenshots for certain apps, especially the financial ones.
How can I get around that?

If Nova Launcher is so great, how come my home screen setup was just wiped for no reason other than me visiting the launcher settings and changing some small thing?

I changed Dark Icons off again because the status bar was barely visible with it on, now my home screens are gone. What kind of shit is this?

what's that defeated feeling called when you try to set up something but fail horribly and waste hours or days of your time

Any way to bypass the 20 gb cap on Hughesnet without giving them all my tendies money?

Nova is proprietary shit, use Kiss Launcher

So, I had to learn and write a paper on a certain subject (related to VLSI). I downloaded a textbook and a few slides from the internet, learned about the subject and written the paper. I did not use any direct quotations or figures from either source.

How the fuck do I cite this shit? Asking because I don't want to shit up /sci/ (they don't have a /sqt/). Do I just list them under "Acknowledgements" or something?

My good ol' ipod nano has finally shit the bed after many years of use, and now everyone's selling them for 500$ because they were discontinued
What's a good alternative MP3 player? I'd rather not use my phone because I'm deathly afraid of it accidentally playing my loli bossa nova at full volume in public

How to I make my Raspberry pi (headless) play an audio stream on startup?

I edited the .bashrc but the stream only starts when I ssh onto it.

Invent quantum internet and a new compression algorithm that literally compresses The Internet 5 million times down in to a single package and then send that through your cap line

raspberry pi zero with 64 or 128gb micro sd card

Your bash profile is only sourced when you login.
You want to create a service file that runs on startup instead.
Check systemd or your other init system for how to do this

I'd rather have something I can fit in my pocket with a graphic display

How is Rust vs. Nim in general usefulness?

If the book is about 'X', add a \cite the first time you name 'X' and everywhere you use a claim around it.

Create a systemd unit and enable it using systemctl

in the folder with the icecat executable:
./icecat
if its called 'icecat'

I use Diskcryptor

So the problem is inside their equipment or the server?

There is no problem, you signed up for a capped line, you willingly submitted to this when you payed for it. There is no way to get past the cap.
Your best be is to make sure everything you do is compressed to the servers you're talking too

>Your best be is to make sure everything you do is compressed to the servers you're talking too
Any tips, I would be much obliged.

I went out and got a crucial MX300 SSD, how badly did I fuck up not getting the Samsung 850 Evo?

Is it okay to write/draw a lot of ideas on paper before coding? I wanna be a good programmer, so give it to me straight, especially if a lot of what you do takes place in your head.
In general, any advice on using paper and coding together because my working memory is terrible

Samsung's got the best SSD in muh opinyon