I buy a new desktop PC every ___ years

I buy a new desktop PC every ___ years

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I *upgrade* my desktop new every 6 years

Upgrade after 4 years, buy a new one after 8

10 years, 7 years for laptops

Upgrade when you require it. Change chassis when the one you have wears out.

for gaming/use of heavy programs 5 years
for basic shit 10 years

I think it's every 6 year for me. Parent's always bought a pre-built one (i was small, also they got special offers through connection, not much like 10/15% discount weeks or months before the sale) so i never really built an one. Also it was because the whole build became obsolute because the mobo mostly. But now that the gpu/ram prices are still going up, i may just remain at the pre-built ones.

But user, if you upgrade every 4 years it will never be 8 years old.

I built my desktop in 2009, I've upgraded some parts since then but haven't just replaced all of them at once

All new PC every 5 or 6 years, usually do a vidya grade in between

7-8

>I buy a new desktop PC every ___ years
5 years
7 computers in 35 years

give or take since a couple lasted 4 years and one almost 8.

I upgrade GPU every 2 to years

and every 5 years Mobo + CPU + Ram + PSU

also change cases every 8 - 12 months from wear out

Since I don't game any more, I just buy what I need when I need it. (IE: hardware breaks down, or need build out home lab, et cetera).

Every four months.

I used a Lian-Li case for literally 10 years.

Roughly every 10 years. That's when the hardware usually seems to become Deprecated and stops receiving driver updates.

Heh, my desktop cpu dates to 2010 (Phenom II x4). For my needs there's no reason to upgrade

14 years.

How the hell do you wear out a case in a year?

Whew lad.
>Bought an asus gaymen laptop just for crysis, Intel Core 2 Duo, Geforce 9800m GT or some shit (early 2009)
>i7 2600 + GTX 560Ti. Some random case. (2011)
>Complete replacement to i7 4790k + 970 SLI (2014), new case (Corsair C70)
>Replaced 970's with 1080Ti last year due to the fact that SLI is a meme, and also a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor (2016)
>"Upgraded/Sidegraded" last November to Ryzen 1700x (2017).
Bought a new case with my Ryzen though so technically it's a new computer, Cooler Master HAF Evo XB. I dont even know anymore. I guess I'm on a 3 year cycle for new pc's lol

Theseus's desktop computer

A true philosophical quandary for the modern day

I am too young to talk about this topic, all my family's desktops are working the oldest 14 yo and the other one is 9
Then we started buying personal laptops for everyone, my sisters change pc every 2-3 years, mine is 5 yo

had first desktop from 2010 to 2014, had my current desktop until now, and want an upgrade due to getting VR headset.

so, 4 years.

not going to upgrade the whole system though, just the GPU

> PSU every [insert here anything below 10 years] years
That's retarded. Buy a good one and stick to it

they don't last forever. I'd rather replace it than lose a grand in hardware due to being a jew

Idk yet. I built the only one I've ever owned in 2015 and haven't replaced it yet.

>upgrade after 4 years
>implying that upgrade doesn't consist of new CPU, new mobo, new GPU and new RAM which is 90% the cost of a computer

Running i7-920 w 12GB ram and 980, dunno what that equates to

It used to be upgrading every two years, but I haven't needed to upgrade since '11 my parts still kill everything. Companies have been focusing more on power savings then massive gains.

pretty much just intel that has slowed down, mainly due to keeping the same architecture since sandy balls

RAM prices are also fucking mental these days, as are GPU prices

I used a pentium IV from 2002 until 2012 when I upgraded to a 2500k. but I'm already considering upgrading to a 7940

>he bothers to clean cases instead of just replacing them

next you're going to tell me you bother laundering your clothes

>2008
>Intel duo core with geforce 9 series, i forget which one
>2013
>build a new pc with i5-3570k,gtx 650, and 2x4 ram
>the end of 2017
>build another pc with amd-based cpu for the first time.

Its around every 4-5 years

10 or so

once your computer is ready for VR, there is literally no reason to upgrade it
aside from SSDs, hard drives, external hard drives, optical drives, monitors, external DACs, headphones, mics, and MAYBE ram upgrades, in 5 to 10 years.

>2018
>build a new intel rig because the amd one shit the bed

I used an Aspire 5100 shittop for 11 years

4-5
But the old one gets added to the server

I upgraded to ryzen that's about it

Specs?

>he BUYS computers instead of building them to spec
Plebian buyfag, leave Sup Forums immediately, you do not belong here. What's next, you going to tell us you run WINDOWS on it? KYS

when it dies or there are no more upgrade paths when it gets too slow.

I had a core2duo that fried itself
had an i7 920
now have a x5650 on the i7 mobo

I'm tempted to buy a computer. can get a 7800k with 1060 6gb and 16gb ram for

Buy new guts every 4-6 years depending on how many games I've been playing on it or how many games are releasing Soon™. I'm often able to sell my old guts to a friend who doesn't play most modern games, but likes to update for the occasional game that does require higher specs.

$1200-1500 every 5ish years really isn't that bad to squirrel away money for.

I build a new workstation from scratch every three years or so. Sometimes I build a pair of them. Then I retire the current one(s) to some other task. I usually have about 4 generations of workstations in active service. For example, this past summer I finally junked my last P4 single core 32-bit system circa 2002. I still scavenged all the major parts off it, including the 240 watt PSU, PATA DVD burner and 160 GB drives. The 10 year old GT 430 video card went into another build and is overpowered for the basic email & websurfing it's used for.

5-6 years depending on intermittent upgrades.

Have never bought a pc before my current one, but if computers made from parts coming from all over count, then it'd be like every 2 years.

3-4 years

incremental upgrades for each component every 4-5 years or so, rarely buy everything at once. For example I tend to buy new cpu/mb, then two years later get a new video card, with more minor purchases like case/psu/storage in between.

I upgrade VERY modularly buying new cards/parts here and there. Every year I buy some shit for my setup. That's the beauty of PC's.

I really only overhaul things when my motherboards/platforms are maxed the fuck out.

From a outside perspective you'd think that I don't really bother much with computers, as I'm still on my third case, at 29 years of age. First computer case given to me as a child courtesy of auntie, second one courtesy of dad, and third one with my own money.

Writing this has given me some feels.

Both are now dead, I should add.

same except I kept my last case for a decade, finally replaced it few months ago along with the PSU but kept the rest of the guts. I don't plan to replace my 4670K until it dies or something with significantly better single threaded performance comes along (which may be never)

0 years. I don't buy them, ever.

I build a totally new one every 6-7 years and upgrade something in it every year.

Why would you upgrade your case or psu

Whenever I get bored of the last computer's shenanigans

>new desktop
I'm on the same basic PC that I've had since 2012.

just done upgrades every 3 or so years.

upgrade gpu every 3 years, cpu every 5

>also change cases every 8 - 12 months from wear out
what in the fuck? even dirt cheap cases are basically metal boxes. they should last for a good number of years unless you actually smash them.

I too love not having any USB 3.0 ports on my computer case

If you weren't a cheap fuck you would buy an actual good PSU in the first place and save money down the line. Mine has a 10 year warranty

you mixed up your placement of amd and intel my dude

>what are $10 5.25'' hubs

>used a case for literally 10 years.
kek, my entire web/office pc is older than that

>tfw a 1997 computer wasn't usable at all in 2007 but a 2007 computer is perfectly usable in 2017

why is tech progression so slow these days?

Instant buy = X;
Instant upg = buy+31536000;
Instant new = upg+31536000;
Instant cur = Instant.now();
if (cur > upg) pc.upgrade();
if (cur > buy) pc.buy();

not much has happened outside of dye size reduction

I buy a new computer every 2, alternating between desktop and laptop, so neither is ever 4 years out.

this
>bought medium-high end pc in 2001
>useless for AAA gaming by 2004, for browsing by 2007

>bought medium-high end pc in 2007
>useless for AAA gaming by 2014, probably still gonna be good for browsing for 2 years if the hdd doesn't die

Every 5 or 6 years. My current machine (a laptop) is 5 years old. Once Ryzen 2 come out, I'll be building a new machine.

s/___ years/time the old one breaks/

actually just GPU
I change out CPU/mobo/RAM/GPU every 8 years, which was kind of a pain before the i-series stopped any sort of significant innovation in its tracks.
most recent three computers are i7-920 and gtx 280 which got upgraded to a 680, then new everything to a 6600k and 1070

huur duur
this is the most cost effective solution to computing

Never, I upgrade my PCs gradually.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

>i7-920 and gtx 280
some men just want to watch the world burn.

>mfw nothing works on 32 bit because of terrible software development practices
>mfw niggers actually need 64 bits

9 years kek

holy fuck thats a huge ass jump

pretty much never

i only built a new one because my friends job was throwing away parts and i hate seeing them go to waste and they were better than what i had at home so he managed to grab some for me to play with.

before that i am pretty sure it's been hand-me-down or used stuff the whole way. scavenged and scraped together as it should be.

I use mine until it breaks or gets so slow it's unusable. Still rolling on my 2010 iMac for the foreseeable future - upgraded it to 8GB RAM earlier this year and it runs about as well as a typical recent computer.

i don't
if something dies i replace it

Well, I'm on a 1090t at the moment with an HD 6950 and 8GB DDR3. It's finally seeing its age.

I built it back in 2011 and I'm just now building some totally new, still not done yet.

So every 7 years or so? Wondering what kind of performance jump I'll see from those parts to an i5-8400 and a GTX 1060 6GB and 16 GB DDR4.

10, upgrade the graphics card when necessary

I upgrade only the part that stops working or doesnt meet my needs.
then I reuse old parts along with the upgrades.
If buying the mobo counts as new PC then its time comes when cpu+ram+mobo upgrade is a big performance gain, so its probably more than 10 years

1,(3)

Every 6 Months I wipe my distro and start fresh. Gives a feeling of excitement

Started out with the epic baseness of a computer with windows 3.1 on it. So many great memories of my childhood are of playing the shit games on it.
Had some janky computer from 2001-2009 with a case made from the soul of battle tanks. Never did anything to it, can't even remember what the fuck was in it.
In 2009 I was gifted an upgrade to a HP media center with based Win7 Pro and an i3 processor. Over time I just upgraded the ram sticks to a total of 32gb since ddr3 was so cheap. Upgraded the video card to a GT 640 six years ago. Added another 1TB hd cause I was big into downloading music and movies/shows. Came into a GT 730 for dirt cheap a year later and ran it as it till this past summer when I got a GTX1050ti ssc on a flash sale. The card was bottlenecked so hard by the cpu it made the computer even worse. The i3 ran nearly twice as hot and I had to upgrade before it burnt itself out. I was going to build my own pc but then I found a deal on a decent i5-7400 prebuilt on the cheap with onboard graphics and threw the 1050 in it. And here we are..

The HP still sees use mostly as a storage rig, since its got two 1TB hard drives in it. I only have a 250gb SSD in my current desktop and a portable 1TB hard drive as a go between, so I like to keep as little as possible on this computer.

no benefit at all to doing that. A ten year old PSU is a ticking time bomb, and buying a new 80+ bronze PSU every 5 years is still going to work out cheaper than buying some over engineered, 80+ platinum thing.