Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

systemD

no

I haven't test OpenRC but runit on Void Linux is comfy.

why not?
Debate me bitch

>Debate me bitch
no
thats not the point of the thread.

dude the OP didn't even have a mention of systemd in it. Why the fuck did you bring this up?

Well my friend,
Right now i don't see any debate about which is great so i go into alternative to what OP gives me.

I use SystemD and I don't understand why it is bad!

>t. pottering
bump for interest

I'm not trying to start shit i want to know the arguments!

Fair enough.
There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

THANKS
You are doing gods work!

Now i understand but....
We are kinda fucked because most distros are SystemD only.....

There are still some that don't.
Devuan is a Debian-based distro that doesn't.
I believe you can switch back to sysvinit on regular Debian too, with instructions on that without-systemd site.
Gentoo doesn't
Void doesn't
Artix doesn't
Parabola gives an option not to
GuixSD doesn't
Slackware doesn't
And there' probably some others that I can't think of right now.

bump. Anyone wanna answer to the OP questions?

test 'em and see it for yourself you lazy piece of shit.

I've had far fewer problems with runit honestly. OpenRC is pretty damn comfy though.

>you lazy piece of shit.
>lazy
I prefer "comfy"

>Devuan
It's missing networkmanager for some reason. I don't want to fucking use wpa_supplicant.
>Gentoo
Not a realistic option for most users
>Void
Terrible documentation and the installer doesn't even seem to have LUKS + LVM full disk encryption
>Parabola
I tried installing base-openrc once and it wouldn't install because something depended on systemd

Parabola now has an OpenRC iso i think.

Artix turning to shit

The issue I described was an issue with the base-openrc package having a dependency on systemd. That can't be fixed with a new iso.