Why shouldn't i just buy a real radio? or not buy any radio at all...

why shouldn't i just buy a real radio? or not buy any radio at all? what are radios even good for and why do people keep recommending this fucking thing

I don't recommend it, get a lime sdr

Just get spotify

>why not real radio
money
>why bother
it's just interesting. just like telescope, discovering real stuff on your own feels good

SDR would have been epic in the 70s and 80s.

still tempted to get a ham licenses just to say i have one

USB sticks with that chip are cheap as fuck, $5-10 shipping included from China. A normal radio won't have any SDR features either.

SDR favors more of its inexpensive nature. And with the right software allows you to decode packets of that an equivalent radio would cost >1000 usd or in the case of 1090mhz, a civilian wouldn't be able to get access to.

you should get it. Got mine when I was in HS and have never really used it, but it keeps people off my ass when the see my radios and start asking questions.

What's the best SDR device in the 50-100, 100-200, and 200-300 ranges?

pls no die thredo

死ね

Just remember that if you get a ham license I can look up your name and address from your call sign.

Do both

I got my first radio for $30

*name and PO box

Is there any point in getting a ham radio license if I just want to listen in? I don't care about broadcasting

No, you only need a license to transmit.

Let me get this straight: you feel pressured to buy something you have no use for and do not want? Are you 12?

I bought one to hack RF signals in my house (digital temperature sensors, garage door, electric meter). I guess you could listen to SW radio, but I already have a Grundig.

Use already existing websdr servers. There a Netherlands one that is pretty good.

Name and PO box is plenty, unless you drive two counties over to rent a PO box or your name is john smith.

They’re geed enough to get your feet west on the cheap, once you know how and why these things suck you will be qualified to choose a better “real” radio.

If someone wants to find me that badly they'd find me anyway.

>200-300
HackRF

Whats your call sign? :^)

Mine's linked to my home address

something to hide, citizen?

I'm not doxxing myself on Sup Forums.

i have one of those RTL-SDR v3 dongles, they work good for a while but they run hot and eventually reception of HF dies in it, get a SDRPlay i have one and run it all day long and it never even gets warm to the touch, and it works great and exactly on frequency from DC to 2 ghz

Think there are Chinese clones now for $150 or so.

You can also use rtl-sdr radios as a source of hardware randomness. Another tool to destroy the botnet.