/bst/ - Battlestation Thread

Not much to start with, but might as well since I scored a nice new throne in my holiday haul.

Would you recommend that bluetooth controller? I was thinking of getting it for my retropie.

I would now, solid 8/10. A few months ago I would not, and I was right about to sell it but 8bitdo since overhauled the firmware and I've been really happy with it since then. Works on all of my emulators, even with picky ones like PlayStation.

No Bully

this is outdated, I got a new monitor arm to free up space on my desk

Nice monitor user, what's the brand/model?
>tfw too scared of what my flatmates would think of me if I had a dakimakura.
Nice patch collection user.

>really understand binary
forgive me but how hard is it for you to understand binary? is it a joke?

though I like that green

Comfy, and all things considered it's a tidy kind of messy. Ampeg -- do you play bass?

You're pretty good at making the most of a small space, I see.

Jesus Christ that's clean. I wish laptops still had all their connectors in the back, that would've really made this 11/10.
Also, Samsung C27F591. I wish I'd gotten the 1440p version, but it wasn't on sale. 27" is seriously too big for 1080p at 2 feet.

Not good

Not bad

Very clean, minimalistic and with an emphasis on space.

It's actually a really good book user.

Nice electronics, please god get a new desk.

Nothing special

Is it because my desk is unappealing?

>meme cuck corner desk

i've been wondering how i will set up my living room now that the pc is down here. i think im gonna copy you

I don't see why else I'd say that.

Neat, though I'd hate to have other people around me while I'm on my computer.

>mfw

back in my old bedroom for a couple more weeks

>Neat, though I'd hate to have other people around me while I'm on my computer.

It's just me down here. Sometimes I'll have people over to hangout but I'm usually on the couch with them. So its not like I'm always looking over my shoulder to make sure nobody sees me posting on a mongolian cave drawing board.

I've been bouncing back and fourth between bass and guitar. I think I like guitar more because I can make more wacky ass noises with it.

Happy hollidays anons! Building my new SAN soon after my holiday bonus comes in! I am pretty excited.

I need better lighting solutions. Just got some backlighting, besides regular room lights.

Need a something over my shoulder to light my desk. any good long reach desk arms with adjustable brightness? like 3 watts incandescent dim equivalent?

Why keep the CRT? The LCD looks like it gives better color reproduction and looks significantly brighter. Otherwise, nice comfy setup.

I imagine it might be kind of spooooooky at night, too. That large open space, especially with the dark hallway, would creep me out.

I honestly have found bass to be much more fun as of late, especially since it seems like you can get gigs more easily as a skilled bassist. I feel ya, though.

Always loved this setup. Mostly the desk and seamlessness of it all. I have nowhere near this much room for that kind of thing yet, but I hope to when I get my professional career started. What do you need a SAN for? Just curious.

This is really nice on its own, but you're right about needing more light -- you'll strain the hell out of your eyes. I feel you'll better find what you're looking for on Amazon than from anons.

>macfag
>old desk, chair, and gross carpet
Pretty much what I expected you guys live like.
I like the audio equiptment and the nendoroids! Very cute!
Looks comfy for a student station.
Nice keyboard, but the desk looks pretty narrow.
Interesting layout, not my cup of tea, but it looks decent.
Very nice as usual greenland friend. What are you eating? Looks like bread and milk.
Pretty interesting looking lamp.
Thats me.
Looks pretty nice! I like it.

>Nice patch collection user.
thank you!
>You're pretty good at making the most of a small space, I see.
thank you very much. i'm still trying to figure out how I can tidy up better because I have so much stuff. I didn't include it in the picture, but I have shelves that are just behind where the trash can is on that wall that are full of containers with Lego in them. I've thought of getting those ikea KALLAX shelves so I can just move the containers into those shelves while having more shelf real estate.
>Not bad
thank you

It is unfortunately. I have to move the keyboard off center so that I have more room for my mouse.

>What do you need a SAN for?
I like collecting data and archiving parts of the internet that people don't think are important enough to archive. People say that everything you post on the internet is there forever, but that really isn't true. There is so much mundane, niche, or generally unimportant data that just disappears. I currently have a 80TB raw array that is nearing full, I am hoping I can add another 100TB+ to the array, but that can be pretty expensive.

It might not be the perfect solution for you, but back when I had a really small desk, I got a trackball mouse. They have a small footprint, and you don't have to swing them around like a normal mouse.

>old chair
>built this chair last night out of the box
What did he mean by this?

That's so neat that I'll let your mac hatred slide.

>That's so neat that I'll let your mac hatred slide.
I don't hate macs, I just hate people who buy macs and post on Sup Forums.

I miss my old ThinkPads but I don't miss ganoo loonix.

I might go back eventually though, especially since my MBA's keyboard failed and it's apparently a huge pain in the ass to replace.

I used to be an engineer associated with a component of the OS X base system and compatibility with IBM mainframe software around the early 2000s before the PPC/x86 switch. Most of my "mac hate" is not even due to the hardware (which is deserving of a lot of criticism), but instead directed at the kernel and OS. Maybe that is partly me being a stubborn old UNIX engineer, but there are a lot of design and development decisions that I feel are complete bullshit.

Rate!

I love that desk so much.
It is very comfy would enjoy that room.
I like the speakers and no nonsense feel.
Its good but having the mouse higher or lower than my keyboard would bother me.

Forgot mine, updated for study and reading time.

they make a 4gb 1080?

I'm no engineer, but it works fine to me.

I had some really good experiences with Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Debian back in the day, but I also had my share of issues with certain versions. I'm just a brainlet NEET and I just want my computer to work well enough to waste my life away, without having to put in much effort.

>I like the speakers and no nonsense feel.
Thanks famali.

Patrician tier monitor layout. Mad props for that. It makes up for the ortholinear, snaphieser, and windows 10.

Z600? i have the exact same specs except for the GPU

No, it's just Speccy misrepresenting my VRAM

never-mind, I'm retarded and didnt notice that the computer sitting on your desk is not a Z600, excuse me.

Z800. I have had it forever. One of the most reliable (knock on wood) and upgradeable workstations I have ever owned. I would highly recommend it even today, especially because they can be had for around $400 on ebay.

The fact that you managed to get a Lenovo monitor makes me annoyed that you didn't get a lenovo keyboard and mouse.

Not sure why people think thats a computer on the desk. Its a Hifi reciever that I use for my speakers and headphones. You where on the right track.

IDK how it works for you (I bet it's fine, I'm just an ass) but the desk space looks a little cramped, have you ever thought of moving the couch forward like 2-3 feet, and getting an L-shaped desk?

oh, at least I got the series right, I thought that may have been a Lenovo workstation on your desk, yeah I was a little late, they went up a bit once i decided to pull the trigger, I got a Z600 for around 700 bucks, still a bargain. good taste in computer my guy :)

Why do all nu-males have Mad Max Fury Road posters in their room?

For the same reason you drink water: because it is good

It is to show their allegiance to the cabal of fans of Mad Max: Fury Road. They are agents of the cabal of fans of Mad Max: Fury Road and exist solely to upset you.

Because they are too young to understand that Road Warrior was way better.

Its the less numale movie of the century and feminists ate up the "its empowering" meme they themselves hyped up for it.

Macs are not just for boomers who hate technology or hipsters. I bought this because I can have a stable, regularly-updated OS with Linux-esque features so I can actually use the terminal. While it's not very customizable, I don't really mind that. It's designed very well and so are all of its applications, so I don't feel the need to. Not to mention, being self-employed as an audio engineer (freelance), I honestly don't think there's a better laptop for the job.
And don't get me wrong, I understand your sentiment towards kernel design decisions on behalf of Apple. Having owned an iBook G4 for a while (still have it), I honestly believe OS X was geared more towards UNIX compatibility and professionals up until around Tiger, after which Apple started catering to iPod-wielding babbies and boomers.

This is by far the comfiest in the entire thread. Incredibly clean and everything matches. I aspire to this.

You could clean up slightly by putting more underneath the riser, but this is nice. Different-sized monitors are kind of tacky, I have to admit, but it's nice regardless. Very spacious and nice desk.

Jfc this is clean. 10/10. Love the monitors, the keyboard, the desk, headphones, everything. C L E A N
Also, what is the aspect ratio of all of those monitors combined?

Is that what soyboys do? Kinda odd to me, seeing as it's an ultra-masculine, adrenaline-inducing film. In my experience, all of my male friends/family love it, while all of my female companions either don't like it or just plain hate it.

Yeah this too. That shit was retarded.

>This is by far the comfiest in the entire thread. Incredibly clean and everything matches. I aspire to this.
Th-thanks.

Are you sure you don't want to complain about the weird positioning of the desk instead?

kyouko is best girl, not bullying
*didn't have any 2d pics sorry*

You pretend to be a girl on the internet so that NEETs will send you money.

What room would I have to speak? This is the way my bedroom is up, so of course I'm also probably a bit biased towards it.

Incredibly clean. Where the hell do you live, San Fransokyo?

why are you in every thread cabalposter?

Your setup is fine but for the love of god clean all those shit nuggets off the carpet. What is all that shit?

My station till I can put my main one back together.

On an island next to the Sahara desert basically in the middle of nowhere. 300 mbit download here too. ^^

I am a girl... I own multiple wigs, I just had one of them out at that time I took this pic.

girl (male)

I had to get a new chair for a reason. My old cat tore it up so fucking much that there was nothing I could do but just let it shed. Every time I sat on it there were more shreds of it around. Needless to say, no cats will be allowed in my room any longer. Just gotta vacuum, and all will be well again.

The screens are nice, but what does your desk/periphs look like?

Super clean, very minimal. I like. Keyboard offset is really bothersome, though.

Got some new posters from friends over Christmas, might buy some more to fill up my walls.

Nice and clean!
Mid 2000s comfy
Not a colour lighting guy, decent set up though
Comfy but waaaaay to monochrome/boring
Ugly desk desu
Why not just get a big 4k monitor???

n-o-d-e , is that you?

What kind of data you archive? Isn't way back machine (or similar websites) enough?

Gee, aren't you worried about your eyes? I mean lurking all day on that old crappy monitor must be quite horrible experience.

Well at least chair scraps are better than shit nuggets.

>Comfy but waaaaay to monochrome/boring
I'm a very boring person.

All sorts. Some of my favorites are old BBS logs and IRC channel logs that wayback can't pick up. A lot of text file and manual page archives, all of the Sup Forums blue boards for the last few years, websites, FTP servers, small text and image boards, internet radio streams, a few youtube channels, and a bunch of torrents from all over the place, university file archives, stuff left over from my old copy parties, and a lot more. I am sure there is a some overlap with wayback and others, but there is a lot of stuff that I they don't have, or if they do it is not in any detail.
My end goal is to make it publicly browseable, but there are a lot of things I need to do to make that possible, and I really don't have the finances for it. Maybe if I win the lottery I will give it a shot.

It's actually quite decent. Kinda annoying on completely white pages. But other than than it's completely fine.

Somehow super comfy looking. :3

Need to build some riser stands for the speakers sometime this week.

>all Sup Forums blueboards

literally who the fuck cares and is gonna read through that shit?

That's actually a quite smart move. There were a lot of times then wayback machine didn't have some assets from sites, so it were gone utterly. Like they said "always back the fuck up your shit"

That's the point. It isn't useful data. 99% of it is crap. Thats why nobody archives it. Except for me.

Really nicely organized, I dig this for sure. Do you always keep it that dark? I can't imagine so if you actually use those keyboards. Very good use of space, regardless.

i'll fix them when i take a pic with natural light. idk when im gonna be awake the 1hr we get tho

Thanks.

I only use the desk lights at night since they're pretty subtle.

If I'm working on something I'll turn on the overhead lights, and during the daytime I get a ton of natural light from the window.

derp forgot to quote your post

That's super nice. "Goals," as the kids say.

living in a warehouse station

You literally live in a storage unit? How do you get internet service?

It's just a small business industrial place, think a place a mechanic would have. There's adsl with fibre on the way.

Must be a pretty quiet warehouse for you to be able to hear those speakers. In addition, why do you need those terminals running? In this... warehouse?

Bow down in awe to the greatest battlestation ever.
-full size desk (clean too, no bullshit on it)
-giant ass chair
-giant ass monitor (34")
-giant ass stereo system
-giant ass couch

all negatively impacted by that piss poor cable concealment

what, do you expect me to drill it through the wall? 1 thin batch of tied up cables is nothing

they make cheap ass wall mount adhesive cable conduit, mane. it can be painted to match the wll color too. just saying, everything else in good order with half ass dangling cables totally kills it.

You're a man among men

>watches tv on ~25" monitor from a full-size couch
>speakers produce insane reflections next to ceiling and aren't even at ear level
>long hair carpet

At least it's clean and decent-looking. All those "giant ass" things might suggest you have a "tiny ass" dick, though, so chill out on the superlatives.

Also, this.

conduit looks just as bad

I'm a big man, spongebob. And nigga its a 34" 1440p monitor. It just looks small cause everything else is big. Also, ear level speakers is a meme.

ok look like a nigger then. idgaf

No one works here

That's honestly even worse. At 34" 1440p makes a crisp image look like arcade Galaga, especially if you're sitting at that desk.

Ear level speakers aren't a meme, but enjoy echos I guess.

I'm only blasting you because you come in here with that "THA BEST" shit.

If you're 2 feet away from your monitor, sure. If you dont have a midget size desk then you can have it back a few feet and it looks great while also reducing eye strain.

>echo
I guarantee you that there is no echo in this carpeted room. Not sure why you keep suggesting there is.

I'm not saying that this setup is the best that money can buy, but I do think its top tier. Actually I got some black curtains since this pic and it looks great. Certainly an upgrade from my previous setup

it would be a lot nicer with those fucking cables hidden though.

>666mhz ram

What in the FUCK man? Modern RAM is like 3 times that speed

it's ddr bro. 1333mhz. still 2011 tier ram and old.

Its DDR3, which people have been using for almost 2 decades now. Even like 10 years ago the minimum speed was like 800mhz. Are you sure you dont have it under-spec?