If i wanted to get a cheap used laptop that could run linux with half life and half life 2 and maybe kotor 2 what would...

if i wanted to get a cheap used laptop that could run linux with half life and half life 2 and maybe kotor 2 what would i be looking at?

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/DirectX_Versions#Introduction
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Like $50 or a trip to a dumpster

well im more talking specs i can probably spend up to 200 on it to be honest

An Intel 8080 is probably good enough

if you are goong to be a smart ass shitposter you can leave

You can buy one on eBay or your nearest PC recycling center.

~1GHz P3/P4/Athlon +
64M mid-end geforce 5/radeon 9000
512M ram

is about what you'd need to run those games comfortably under windows
i'm not certain if the requirements are different for linux

My T420 runs all of those games fairly well, Half-Life 2 runs the worst out of the bunch.

Is she still pretending that she has a youtube/streaming career with like 30 views a week?

everytime she streams she gets constant subs and resubs pretty sure her streaming career is fine

i bet you could run kotor 2 and hl2 on an atom tablet at medium 720p desu.

X230 or T430

Well, considering that it's the most graphically intensive of the bunch, that's no surprise.

T420/T430 or X220/X230

Before the Orange Box update it was possible to run HL2 even on Intel GMA chips by turning on DirectX 6. I think the update broke that with support for DirectX 7 too.

>direct3d 6
doubt it, direct3d 9 was already out by 2004, i doubt the source engine ever had d3d support under 8.1

DirectX 7.0 is literally listed on my HL2 box. And while not officially supported you can force the game to DirectX 6.
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/DirectX_Versions#Introduction

Or at least could.

hl2 must look pretty shit on d3d6, damn
they were really going for wide support, huh

It does look pretty shit. I can never understand people who are happy to have to squeeze out every single FPS their outdated PC can struggle with, and still call gaming a hobby. Sounds like an addiction bbqh.

There are image comparisons of various DirectX levels in the link I provided. Scroll downward. Most of the difference between 7 and 6 is in textured sprite count, probably to save even more graphics memory.

doesn't look like d3d6 even supports multitexturing

>buy one

Buy one what? OP is asking for guidelines for actual specs.

who is she?

Linux is more demanding, but I think OP is probably going that route since they mentioned it being a tight budget and only listed games with Linux ports.

I've run these games fine on Linux on an i3 processor with integrated graphics. A second hand chromebook might do the trick.

i was a winfag back when those games/cards were new, so i didn't run into opengl often, but i recall that at least some cards around the early 2000's didn't support opengl as well as they did directx, so i guess that could cause an increase in requirements
that and simply the fact that op would be running an up to date linux system versus say, windows 98

i love white women

-- not that it really matters, op didn't say he wanted an old machine per-se, and one would have to go out of one's way to find a laptop that barely runs them versus something like a core2duo machine with integrated graphics that'll run those games no sweat

OP here what you just said is exactly what i was looking for now i klnow the i5s with integrated i have been looking at will do

i did look on ebay but many there are picky as hell about payment methods so ill probably buy one of the used ones from amazon

you will probably be sad to hear she wound up marrying the whitest white dude she could

Prestigio SmartBook 133s

>core 2 duo integrated
>no sweat
Yeah at 1280x720

exactly
for games of that age, "low resolution" is more like 640x480, and "fair" around 1024x768
plus, most core2duo laptops are around that resolution anyway

Oh I see, the 'nostalgia' experience

OP here

are you actually retarded? if im looking to spend 200 dollars on it do you really expect it to have anything higher?

do you expect a 4K widescreen+enbseries mods on a "cheap used laptop"?

Yes you fucking moron. Look around your town, ask repair shops, find faulty shit on ebay for an easy fix.

im not looking to fix anything im looking to install linux install those games and maybe the old dooms/quakes and the like and go and im looking to do it without having to call anyone or try to set up "deals" or any such horseshit im not looking for a gaming laptop im looking for a laptop to play old dusty games on and fuck around with linux

Right enjoy your CPU overhead playing on shitty opengl

get out you assclown

you realize all the games op has mentioned so far have linux/opengl versions, right?
no d3d>opengl overhead needed

-- oh, and it wouldn't even matter, since they're all also single core games, so getting a core2duo means he'd have a whole spare core on which to do d3d>ogl translation on without slowing the game down

t. M'lady