Cable Modems

So let's say I still have to have a cable provider as an ISP for whatever reason, and I need to buy a cable modem because the rental modem/router combos suck massive dick, therefore I must ask

Does it really matter what kind of cable modem I buy? Or is the router the more important part of the setup? Pic related is what I'm looking at now after doing research and considering my budget.

Other urls found in this thread:

dslreports.com/forum/r30992222-Internet-SB6121-stuck-on-ipv6-only-can-t-default-back-to-ipv4
amazon.com/dp/B01DACQM9M/_encoding=UTF8?
amazon.com/dp/B00F0DD0I6/_encoding=UTF8?
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Does it really matter what kind of cable modem I buy?
Very fucking much.
Just contact your ISP and tell them you hate your modem, and want to buy a higher quality one that they've approved for use.
Otherwise you're going to run into a trillion million configuration nightmares.

The biggest thing to look at is that it's docsis 3.0 at least and what it's maximum speed is.
Also surfboard a shit. Get one of these.

Oh I'm full aware that this has to be approved by my ISP, I was wondering if it mattered between different approved models.

I think Arris even makes the rentals for my ISP anyway.

You can just say you have Comcast, I mean they're close to Voldemort but not by that much.

>Also surfboard a shit.
I've only ever heard reviewers suck Arris' dick, what's wrong with the surfboards?

I have had almost no issues with the exact model you posted. I even bought a second one when I moved out.

It's possible that it drops a connection now and then (once every month or two maybe) but those things are very hard to diagnose between the modem and your shitty ISP.

The only issue is non-technical. My ISP told me that it was legacy/unsupported. It was very high-end when I bought it, but they want to harass those who don't rent from them for obnoxious prices. Be prepared for bullshit. Your modem will always be good enough, but if it's anything like my ISP, they'll tell you after a few years that it's not good enough and maybe even force you to upgrade.

I have this exact same one and It works pretty decently. Although lately the the wifi has been cutting in and out at random times. So I've gotten into the habit of unplugging it when I leave for work, and replugging it when I'm getting ready for bed so my roku will actually connect in my bedroom.

I'm definitely going to look into swapping out the modem/ router combo for a more traditional modem and a really good router.

>ipv6
wut. modems don't even have IP's. they just talk to other modems at the ISP end.

I bought a surfboard back when Motorola made them and had no problems setting it up with Bright House

There is nothing wrong with the surfboards. They are fine. Rock solid in my experience. Your ISP should have a list of compatible modems, and it would be a surprise if the Surfboard isn't one of them.

WiFi cuts out, so you unplug the modem instead of the device that provides WiFi?

Who do you have, user? I just got a new standalone modem from Charter. Turns out they charge $5 to lease their shitty Netgear routers.

Yes it matters. It would recommend a docsis 3.1 (contrary to the 3.0 that someone above recommended ) for future proofing. 3.1 can support 1gbit/s down.

Arris/Motorola 8200 & 8600 are good choices.

They do have ips. Also there are some backwards ISP than in 2017-4 days still don't support ipv6.

If by some reason you previously used an ISP that only supported ipv6 and they pushed a firmware to disable ipv4 and then you tried to provision that modem into an ipv4 only ISP it will fail. It will bootloop because it can't provision.

See dslreports.com/forum/r30992222-Internet-SB6121-stuck-on-ipv6-only-can-t-default-back-to-ipv4

It's a modem + wifi router in one. I unplug the whole thing.
speaking of routers and modems, you guys think that these would be a good combo to have? I don't need anything super fancy, I only pay for 60mps. from my ISP.
>Modem
amazon.com/dp/B01DACQM9M/_encoding=UTF8?
>Router
amazon.com/dp/B00F0DD0I6/_encoding=UTF8?

Depends on what speeds you have, and what will be available in your area in the near future.

Surfboards are fine. I got one cheap for DOCSIS 3.1.
They're pricey if you just want DOCSIS 3.0 though.

More like it depends on what modem the ISP supports provisioning on.

>Amerifats “rent” routers from their ISP
>amerifats don’t even own their routers
>60mbps on DOCSIS
>people recommending netgear shit
>ISPs still not supporting ipv6 in 2017
Literally laughing all the way to the bank.
Pic related with TV and phone costs $45, paying for 200mbps.

>Amerifats “rent” routers from their ISP
This is optional. Cable company runs the line to my house, my modem and router are items I purchased from other vendors.
>amerifats don’t even own their routers
see above
>60mbps on DOCSIS
Depends on how much you want to pay. My provider is trying to get me to move from my cheaper 50Mb/s. plan to the 100Mb/s. They also offer Gigabit as a connection option for $150/month

You are correct that the pricing structure is way off compared to other places but blame the government for giving the ISPs money and not making sure they actually invest in infrastructure.

at least we can have guns

I'd fucking love to have 200mps, but here in NY where I live, all we have is Spectrum and they jew everyone. $65 for 60mps is a fucking joke.
I'd never rent my modem or router from an ISP though.

The fact you are charged twice for internet connection, optional or not, is dumb as shit.
>well mr Smith you pay $50 a month for internet access, but in order to get internet access, you can pay us even more for something you don’t own.

As long as I have a license I can own almost anything except a handgun.

My line is capable of 300mbps which is about an extra $4 on top. No usage cap either.

>The fact you are charged twice for internet connection, optional or not, is dumb as shit.
they're just praying on the tech illiterates who don't realize you can buy your own shit. Hell, when i moved i brought my modem with me.

Our country is fricken huge unlike your tiny little communist wasteland, but we still do pretty well.
Pic is the benefits of getting rid of Nigger Neutrality.

>introductory rates
please show the rates after 12 months. how is this any different than pre-FCC vote?

my Cox plan was $55 for the first 12 months, then shot up to $80/month.

what country eurofriend?

Just cancel and resub, dummy. 3rd party brokers can get you introductory rates also because their customer portal is separate.

this user should be correct
Modems should be layer 2 devices and should not have IP adresses, that is what the router is for.

Alas most modems nowaways are router/modem combos and thus have IP's.

Some do allow for bridge mode and disable the router functionality.

Wrong, the modem has what is known as a "Gateway Address" on the local network.

How much tax you pay on your income

Your ISP will have info on their site. Most have basic requirements, some have model lists.

Make sure to check the end of life page too so you don't buy a modem that night not be supported soon. Not everyone has a list.

I feel you. I've gone through like five cable modems in five years. First few I got from my isp were shit, then I bought a better cisco one which went apeshit after years of 24/7 use and one particularly powerful thunderstorm period. Had to get another one.

God I hate cable modems. They're the shittiest of shitty technologies

We own a lot of properties and a lot of previous tenants leave their modem/router combo without turning them in. I have a couple that are arris and does anyone know if its possible to cfw on them? I don't have to pay the modem fee since they were paid for in full by previous tenant since they didn't turn them in and I technically own it now. But I can't use the wifi unless I pay to have it activated. Wondering if anyone knows a cfw or bypass for this

Most embedded devices like modem/router combos, set top boxes, etc have UART or JTAG connections on the motherboard. If youre up to it, find the contacts, solder pins to them, connect them to a JTAG/UART to USB adapter and try to connect to it from a computer. Most will have a password protected logon but most of time its some variation of admin/password or admin/nopassword. After/if you get in, look around or search for commands to enable wifi

I bought a modem in 2016 that said it was 1.4Gbps, DOCSIS 3, for my 240Mbit internet to future proof it.

1.5 years later I get gigabit. My speeds are stuck at 240Mbps. Apparently Gigabit is DOCSIS 3.1. Waste of $150. I'm in the process of doing a chargeback on it.

Don't get a surfboard, they use intel puma 6, which is utter dogshit.

Which companies are safe?

Only one model uses the PUMA, and other manufacturers used Puma as well..

Just get an SB8200 if you live in a major city. Most cable companies are rolling out gigabit in 2018.

Then in 2 years It'll be DOCSIS 4.

It's a total waste of money. I already got jewed once.

>wahh why is technology always updating

Go be a luddite somewhere else.

ISPs rent the shit for cheap. If you spend $150 it'll take 2 years to break even with an ISP rental.

Also, I get a free rental of the modem with gigabit internet.

>available in limited areas.
If I moved 50 miles I could get gigabit internet too. That’s not an argument.

Furthermore:
>calls me a communist country
>US has THE largest handouts budget in the world

How the fuck do I even learn about this shit? My internet configuration is completely fucked and I've basically left it as is because every time I touch it, I just seem to make it worse.

So if I got this right, I should get a nice modem NOT from my ISP, then a nice router also NOT from my ISP, and then I should just get solid wifi and ethernet?

>How the fuck do I even learn about this shit?
Google.

>So if I got this right, I should get a nice modem NOT from my ISP, then a nice router also NOT from my ISP, and then I should just get solid wifi and ethernet?
Well you should, but its more about being in control of your own stuff than it is about signal strength.

Is your problem the modem part or the router part?

If it's the modem itself just contact your ISP - it's their responsibility to ensure you have a good connection.

If it's the router just use your own router (attached to the modem).

Problems with your Wi-fi mean either your too far away from the access point or there's some interference fucking up the signal. Get one of those Wi fi booster plug in outlet adapters for like $20 on newegg. That'll fix it plus most have an Ethernet wired plug so you can connect a wired device to it for bonus/cheap connection instead of running a long ass cable.