Font rendering thread

Let's see your fonts, gents.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/KgHGW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You don't need to, I use Windows which means it's shit.

Better than yours/10

Only macOS users need apply.

shalom

the only thing good about a mac.. too bad highdpi monitors will kill that advantage

windows font rendering is objectively better for your eyes but osx one looks more appealing

exactly the same thing with matte vs glossy screens

linux' freetype is the worst of both combined. Blurry AND ugly. One of the reasons linux distro ricing threads almost never show browsers and almost always use minimalistic WM setups with pixel fonts without antialiasing.

Linux has some of the best font rendering I have ever seen. That was 5 years ago, also. I didn't even need infinality to achieve it.
I think you should revisit linux and look into making them look good, because default linux is for faggots.

as i said, it's blurry, unless you literally disable antialiasing and use pixel fonts ( like the image you posted, but those are way to fucking small to read comfortably )

not even hinting:full helps with it

it makes my eyes go sore after extensive periods of reading from screen.
windows/cleartype doesnt do that, because it's just so perfectly sharp, which i admit looks ugly more often than not, but it's comfortable.

That image is of Windows with Cleartype, though.

didnt see the logo at the bottom, doesn't change anything though, they are just too small to be of any "example", and my point still stands

I think your ``point'' fell flat on its face there, but whatever.
I am certainly not going to argue with a stranger about what they think looks good.

my point is about linux font rendering being blurry shit unless pixel fonts are used, how does an image of 4pt font in win7 relate to it?

Xft.antialias : 1
Xft.hinting : 1
Xft.hintstyle : hintfull
Xft.rgba : rgb
Xft.lcdfilter : lcddefault

On firefucks. I can get along with fonts being the wrong shape but fuck blurry shit so much

This is why I can never use GNU/Linux. Font rendering is complete garbage.

Can you point out exactly what's wrong with it?
It seems like every font rendering afficionado is autistic on par with the audiophile folk aka placebo is the law but unlike the audiophile folk they're asperger cannot be blamed on senile age.

imgur.com/a/KgHGW

I don't know. It feels like Windows is far more pixely, it feels neutral.

OSX tries to improve it with a little blurryness and it works great.

Linux tries to do the same but too hard.

How's this? Is it good?

Honestly, I think you just hate the font. Try changing it to something more like the others.

Your picture of genooo lanocks have hinstyle set to either non or slight. This setting preserves the shape of the font better but results in far more blurriness. I have it set to full.

What should be noted is that GNU/Linux uses subpixel rendering while Windows does not (the antialiased bits are monochrome) so GNU/Linux ends up looking vastly superior when actually viewed on a physical device compared to regular antialiasing techinques.
Comparisons are probably null in this case, from the screenshot we both posted it seems we're not only using different fonts but also different displays with different pixel density so it's apples to oranges comparison. And I don't have a Windows installation on this device to compare.

But feel free to compare your GNU/Linux rendering and mine on the same page by zooming in. The different hinting settings is clearly evidenced in the more blurry appearance of your version.

macos is THICC and blurry
windows is sharp as knives and feels the same way
linux has godawful freetard font that looks like shit regardless of how it's rendered

there is just no winning...

actually after looking at it for some more, id say the linux font rendering is the superior one here

just needs a better font, really.

and the windows one makes my eyes bleed, while osx makes me constantly try to focus

>compare rendering
>use different font
It's like you don't really want to actually compare them

here is default Ubuntu using helveticaneue font

blurry shit desu