What's worse

What's worse,
Bezels or the Notch?

Obviously the tiny notch is a better compromise than giant chin and forehead bezels

The iPhone X has a notch and the bezels are too thick.

S8 is better than both

Should have moved the bottom bezel to the top or moved the notch components to the bottom kinda like the mix

Mi Mix is the best option obviously.

Bezels are a waste of space but at least they won't bother you when you use the device.

The notch will be painfully there every time you watch a video.

Can't you configure a player to make an "artificial bezel"?

That's against app store policy.

The iphone x has both. It's amazing how much apple fucked up its design since they made it in such a way it looks like it's already in a case.

Really? So the user has no choice but to watch videos with about 5% of the visual content missing?

>it looks like it's already in a case.

My feeling exactly.

And when you put it in an actual case it really looks dumb.

It's amazing how in the span of only a year we go from being ok with iPhone 7/8 tier bezels to now venomously hating nearly any type of bezel, I guess the marketing worked.

The notch is still worst than any type of bezel found on phone a few years ago

Never minded bezels...why the fuck are you so god-damned autistic?

Yes. Apple has a great contempt for it's user base. Why else do you think Steve Jobs didn't allow his kids to use Apple

>Steve Jobs didn't allow his kids to use Apple

Even Lisa?

Bezels are not so bad. At least you can use them to hold the device.

Not really. Majority of recent Android flagships shat on the iPhone bezels.

Even budget phones like the Meizu M6 Note...

Yeah bezels are actually a good thing if you use a case that actually protects the edges of your screen, where a hit is most likely to cause a fracture.

That notch is so fucking terrible. It would be one thing if it only showed up on the home screen, but to make videos show it too? fucking terrible.

Smartphones are worse.

>Yeah bezels are actually a good thing if you use a case that actually protects the edges of your screen, where a hit is most likely to cause a fracture.
To explain this more clearly, I mean that a when a case has a lip that protects the edge of your glass, if you have zero bezel, then the edge of the case will be right at the edge of the touch screen, which can make certain screen-edge gestures in apps and games difficult.

Why not bezelless with a case?

In theory a notch is better with proper management since it allows you to display information where you would normally have bezels, like the time/battery. The iphone x is just a full retard implementation of it though because it forbids blacking out the notch when it would interfere with content which results in your picture. It also has the stupid rounded corners that make it even worse.

Notch is worse by far

The notch is worse because the applications must be aware that it is there.
It's the internet explorer of the smartphones.

The iphone X also has black bars on the screen

What is it with hating on bezels, anyways? I still like hardware buttons over wasting screen real estate on shitty software buttons. This is actually a point that Apple has made a correct decision, though, by just opting out of buttons altogether and trying to become webOS (even if it's still a shit attempt).

But anyways, the notch is the most retarded design decision made on a smartphone in a long time. Might as well just go for the S8's design which does surprisingly well even if Samsung is a shit company.

This, bezels are a non-issue.

Every device with a screen has a bezel and no one cares.

Bezels that hold important things like cameras or speakers are useful. Bezels that do literally nothing(see most laptops) are pure cancer and the result of companies trying to penny pinch instead of maximizing usefulness of their devices.

Just because bezels have been getting slimmer and slimmer each year does not mean they will disappear. It's literally just a boarder to contain your LCD panel.

Only autism-tier consumers who know nothing about manufacturing would suggest that NOT spending millions of extra dollars just to make some pixels spill out the sides of a screen is "cancer"

I know that they won't entirely disappear retard, but there's zero point to having them be giant like they are on most devices.

eg: This is a thinkpad from a decade ago.

And here is a modern thinkpad. Look at all that wasted space, you could fit an entire inch and a half of extra screen in there.

holy shit hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaa

This is my S8 in a clear case by samsung

so i guess if youre watching a movie, would you prefer a homogeneous frame, or a frame in which one end had shit sticking out into it

I'm trying to think of how this could be an issue for anyone outside of Sup Forums. Without nitpicking the bezel too much specifically, I see design choices, not "penny pinching cancer".

That's a poor example anyway. When I'm buying a ThinkPad for myself or someone, usually it's for all the other reasons people buy Lenovo ThinkPads, not a cum-inducing LCD experience.

The "design choice" is designing a chassis for the computer and then slapping a generic 16:9 panel in it with zero regard to how it actually fills the display area in because it's cheaper.

The point of the example was to use laptops of the same brand and show how we've regressed in design. Obviously people don't buy thinkpads for the displays because thinkpad displays are offensively dogshit. Selling a laptop with a 1366x768 display in the current year is bad enough let alone in a premium laptop. And that's before taking into account the equally abysmal colour accuracy of their displays.

Thankfully by a combination of Apple pushing high resolution displays and then Dell pushing small bezels we're slowly but surely improving one of the most important parts of the laptop. Maybe we'll get something like this within a few years. Until then let's hope that someone other than Apple/MS/Google use something that's not 16:9.

It works exactly the same way as it does back when iPhones didn't have 16:9 screens: You can choose to watch with black bars, or zoom in and cut part of the picture off to fill the screen entirely.

>That's a poor example anyway. When I'm buying a ThinkPad for myself or someone, usually it's for all the other reasons people buy Lenovo ThinkPads, not a cum-inducing LCD experience.
Except that for work (aka the only think Chinkpads were ever memed for) 16:10 display will always be vastly superior to 16:9. The only reason they didn't fit a 16:10 display is because they're expensive. And a larger display would totally fit there.

The s8 has an option to fill the screen, cutting off some of the top and bottom of the video. You lose less screen space than the iPhone X because the screen to bezel ratio is higher, and if you don't choose to fill the screen, it just looks like a standard large bezel phone since it's an amoled.

A 16:9 rectangular screen that is completely visible, unlike the garbage that is iPhone X.

Ah yes, that non 1 to 1 pixel matching so you get a blurry mess.

>sperging over a notch while watching videos ON YOUR PHONE.

I dunno, i'm okay with Bezels, it's like a chubby chick, gives you something to hold onto.

notch
i need something to grab when i watch a video on my phone

what

I hope other manufacturers copy this memephone and make phones with front facing speakers instead of going for the bezel-less meme.

>bezels are cancer
>picture of MacBook with a notch
>Future.png

Apple shill detected. The notch is real cancer.

they thought they would get away with this because it was so obvious

maybe, since there is a permanent bar for computers unlike phones, this might work

The biggest complaint I've heard is the lack of ergonomics, so I doubt it

that does not look like it would survive a fall well. Why even bother with a case?

I'll just leave this here

why curve the screen? what advantage could this possibly have besides distorting the image on the edge.

Huawei Matebook X is 3:2 and not a tablet computer

got it and can confirm

If handled properly notches are the ideal design, taking up the minimum amount of space for necessary components. The iphone x completely fucked that up though by not only allowing other apps to use the notch space, forcing app developers to rework themselves, but actively stopping them from darkening them which is the way they should be displayed.

If done properly the notch areas will display system information like status bars with white/grey text on pure black and hide itself as entirely black in fullscreen applications.

Removes the bezel. Doesn't distort anything when looking at it head on.

separate life and work

>notches are the ideal design
"Apple's design choices are the future" is a fucking meme and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of soyboy backwards-rationalization for every new mistake Apple makes. This kind of garbage is exactly where "it's actually a feature, not a bug" comes from.

I don't even have to mention how BADLY this fucks over developers, since you've already done so and tried to make it sound like a good thing. When I look at the notch I see a cocked-up mess between hardware developers and atheistic designers which ended in a terrible compromise, and there weren't any chief officers with balls enough around to tell them "go fucking back and fix it." Now you've got Apple shills and soyboys defending it like I'm supposed to be impressed.

I'm not. Nobody is. Jobs wouldn't put up with it. Fix it.

>If handled properly
Unless you want to go full apple and remove webcams you need to use notches to maximize screen real estate. They weren't even the first to do the notch, they just fucked it up by making it huge and implementing it wrong.

>since you've already done so and tried to make it sound like a good thing.
I'm not making it sound like a good thing. Third party developers shouldn't have to do shit, the phone should direct them to the non-notched section of the phone and tell them it's a normal square and handle all the notch shit itself.

I'll even say it again for you since you seem to have difficulty reading APPLE FUCKED UP THEIR DESIGN AND NOT ONLY HAVE A COMICALLY LARGE AND UGLY NOTCH BUT THEIR SOFTWARE SUPPORT OF IT IS RETARDED AND THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT THEY SHOULD'VE DONE.

Giant? Are you stupid? That is 16:9 video on an extra wide screen with tiny bezels.

Rounded edges feel more comfortable in a pocket.

It's not an advantage when you use it, but it's not a big disadvantage either (you barely notice it).
Certainly better than a smaller screen with bezels all around.

I meant because he didn't even recognize Lisa as his daughter to avoid paying child support, so she grew up in poverty despite having a billionaire for a father.

>notches are STILL the ideal design
No they fucking aren't.

I don't care WHO does it, it's an objectively terrible idea. Aesthetically terrible, and functionally terrible.

>If done properly the notch areas will display system information like status bars
Don't fucking care. Guess what? Every computing device I've EVER used in the past 20 years has also had some form of status bar, some big, some small, some humongous, some non-existent. Not an excuse. Try again.

>Unless you want to go full apple and remove webcams you need to use notches to maximize screen real estate.
>you need to use notches to maximize screen real estate.
>maximize screen real estate.
I think we've found the true source: autism. (BUT MUH EDGE-TO-EDGE SCREEN BRO) Most general consumers DGAF. These are talking points, marketing tactics, they do absolutely nothing to add functionally, and sometimes (like in this case) literally make things worse.

Consumer computing has plateaued. All smartphones, tablets, and laptops look the same now. That's why we're arguing over dumb trash like this, it's a distraction from the fact that nothing truly groundbreaking has happened in consumer devices within the past 5 years now. Only autists care about nonsense like but muh bezel is smaller.

I may as well repeat my last post:
>Just because bezels have been getting slimmer and slimmer each year does not mean they will disappear. It's literally just a boarder to contain your LCD panel.

Ok, done playing with the shillbot now.

>I don't care WHO does it, it's an objectively terrible idea. Aesthetically terrible, and functionally terrible.
If you don't use notches you commit to using 10% of the possible screen space on literally nothing. The only reason you're hating on it is because A) Apple is the prominent one doing it right now and B) Because they massively cocked it up.

>Don't fucking care. Guess what? Every computing device I've EVER used in the past 20 years has also had some form of status bar, some big, some small, some humongous, some non-existent. Not an excuse. Try again.
That's the fucking point. If you relegate the OS's status bar to where you would normally have a bezel you save the real screen for content. All devices with OLED screens should adopt the style. And all devices not using OLED should switch already, burn in is a non-issue mostly now.

>I think we've found the true source: autism. (BUT MUH EDGE-TO-EDGE SCREEN BRO) Most general consumers DGAF. These are talking points, marketing tactics, they do absolutely nothing to add functionally, and sometimes (like in this case) literally make things worse.
Most general consumers are fucking retards who can't even read a spec sheet to stop themselves from buying silicon dog turds. Higher screen to body ratios are at least something new to compete over that add functionality instead of taking it away like muh thin.

You're literally arguing against removing FUCKING NOTHING and replacing it with more screen because you want to go against the current trend. Meanwhile I'm eagerly looking forwards to saying goodbye to 16:9 laptops, front branding, bezels and bezel foreheads for the sake of decent webcam placement. And hopefully nothing like this abomination ever gets made again.

That notch would drive me crazy. Total deal breaker

I can appreciate thinner bezels but face id and the notch are retarded

Looks very classy. How is battery life, good?

I sincerely hope all these "custom screen shapes" meme ends before we end up with 27 different aspect ratios for videos and photos.

>iPhone 7 camera
>Rear fingerprint
Yuckew

Jesus christ the iphone 7plus was only 1080p
Fucking appleltards

Notch

can you imagine someone using that trash
looking at it is making me cringe

Notch.

the bezzle hate in phones is stupid they are good for holding the phone when watching videos in landscape mode no point get getting rid of them entirely although it does look nice, I'd hate to lose hardware buttons and a front facing fingerprint those ones on the back are annoying