/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Look it up first: duckduckgo.com/

Previous bread:

Reposting from last thread:

Hi Sup Forums, I am new to video editing and am looking for an editor that is easy to use and allows me to combine multiple video files in projects and save that at 60fps, any recommendations please?

I tried the Photos app's new video editor but it is truly garbage.

Does homeplug work?

LADS

I got my laptop and 2 screens, its a Lenovo thinkpad

can I hook up my TV as a 4th screen?
how easy?

OR, do VGA splitters work in a way where I can hit a button and it turns off my screen 3, and moves the image to my big screen instead?
or do VGA splitters only do 2 inputs 1 output, instead of 1 input 2 switching outputs?

Where the hell do you live that working min wage at a gas station allows you to not only live, but save money? As for IT, most community colleges offer some sort of 2 year associates degree in "IT support". For general help desk, I'd recommend the A+ and Net+ cert. They're cheap and easy to get.

As for headphones I've always been partial to Skullcandy. Their Hesh line of cans were always a good bang for buck. I think they're $50 on the nose for their wired ones.

Just bought pic related.
How much did I fuck up?

>VGA splitters
Splitters are 1 input with multiple output. 1 output with multiple inputs are switches.

how do I know what's spying on me

bought a new raspberry pi.
i guessed what IP it would get, and i can access it over ssh, however it cannot connect to the internet.

it doesn't show up in my routers DHCP clients list (my other raspi does). the nameservers are 8.8.8.8, which are working with my other devices. the connection is wired, and i have checked different ports and cables.

does anyone have an idea about how to fix this?

I'm building a computer for office work for about 500$. Just normal web browsing, excel, etc. All that I've found is that the intel pentium g4600 is the best bang for the buck. I just want to make sure it is. I'm willing to pay a little more for a cpu which will last.

if you don't plan on gaming, buy a used workstation and add a ssd. It's impossible to beat that price

You don't. There are tools that kill most if not all of the telemetry, though.

Thank you, user. I now have 29gb on my SSD. That will do just fine for now.

How do I make sure the program that I installed is using the one from ppa, and not the outdated one from my distro's repo?

It depends on the graphics card.Some will only allow a certain amount,that is lesser then the total amount of outputs.
So it may have 2 dp 2 hdmi and 1 dvi-i but only allow 2 devices to be connected at one time

>Mic sounds crisp and clear as fuck in OBS
>OBS gets an update
>Now it sounds all cloudy

Ok, what should I go change?

Got a Best Buy gift card because family knows I do computer memes. Trouble is, Best Buy is shit and I literally can't think of anything I'd even want from them.

Can I go into a Best Buy and buy a gift card for something I'll actually use, (Probably just Steam) with a Best Buy gift card or will they give me shit for it?

t. haven't been in a best buy in years and don't even know if they sell cards user

Also I guess I should add- any neat little things I should consider picking up for my PC/room/office whatever if I can't just do the card switcheroo?

>it doesn't show up in my routers DHCP clients list
Maybe sort that out first, failing that just make a reservation for it for the time being

thanks! alas i don't know how. my other raspberry just appeared there by itself.

Out the box Raspbian (if you used it) should just accept DHCP on eth1 by default, you could maybe run some commands to expire and fetch a new lease (would be best to not do this remotely)

>have linux mint and windows 7 partitions
>install fresh windows 7 on exact same partition it was before
>time to repair grub, as usual
>open gparted
>all ext4 linux partitions are now a big blob of "unallocated"
>run testdisk, does quick search
>finds all partitions (main, swap, boot)
>enter on "main" - "no files found"
>now waiting for deep search
>justfuckmyshitup.jpg

Help?

>13" laptop
>1080p
>i5
>8GB RAM
>

Cheap wifi ac dual band mini pcie half sized card to be used with free software?

have you tried ffmpeg? It's nice if you are into CLI.

hah ya i did this remotely and i just get timeouts until i start. unfortunately i have no hdmi-capable screen so its ssh or nothing.

well, i'm giving up for today. thanks for the help!

Thanks for the recommendation but CLI doesn't seem that easy to use for someone like me who has not really touched it before.

actually, i fixed it.
i did as you said, and went for the dhcp thing, gave it a permanent lease in the router on another ip, released and refreshed dhcp release, and now it connects to the new ip.

thanks!!!!

i think sony vegas does 60fps, but i am very much not sure.

Are you super duper sure you installed Win 7 with correct partitioning?

Don't be a retard, if you just want to combine a few videos, it's literally the best program available on earth. Learn it. Don't miss this chance to learn ffmpeg. It takes a few minutes to learn.

I've got an external HDD that isn't working, it says it's raw but when I use it on my surface pro it says it's an NTFS and I can access it normally.

So I'm not sure what to do, my surface only has 1 USB port and not enough memory to transfer the data on the fucked up drive. Is there a completely free raw drive data recovery software or something?

This videogame has no process in "Applications" tab. I cant minimise it nor can i put any other program in front of it, only task manager.
Anyone had similar problem? Compatibility options don't fix it at all.

Yes. In installer I selected my old Windows 7 partition, formated it and installed Windows 7 on it. Didnt touch any other partition whatsoever.

My best guess is that it created that small 100MB windows boot partition over my ext 4 partitions, and messed it up completely. Im running "testdisk" again since I accidently messed up last time. Deep search is very slow.

Looking for a guide on ripping audio files on CDs to FLAC and lossy.
I'm planning to get a weeb/nip album and I need to make sure it can be done before jumping the gun.

I have the bad habit of opening over and over again threads on slower imageboards, the same threads repeatedly. This causes me to waste time rereading things I've forgotten that I've already read and overall it's a terrible waste of time.

Is there any browser addon that can prevent me from revisiting sites that are already on my browsing history?

If Rust is meant for systems programming, what is Go good for?

Can someone tell me what the problem is here? I know nothing about scripting.

Which DAW best DAW?

Any decent (and free) alternatives to chkdsk?

Wrist has looked like that for a week, think it's getting smaller but what is it? I apply lotion daily, Right wrist appears almost fully healed, but the skin on my hands is taking forever to heal from being cracked

Technologically illiterate baby boomer here.
The tech support guy who fixed my computer some weeks ago told me to install Speccy and keep an eye on numbers. But this is the first time I noticed these bus speed numbers, so I'm afraid of them. I'm talking about the bus speed, specifically. Whatever that is, the bus speed-o-meter seems to be at its maximum limit, less than a mhz or whatever from being full. Is that a bad thing? I'm scared. What should I do about it?

Just uninstall speccy so you don't have to look at them

>Is that a bad thing?
No.
>I'm scared. What should I do about it?
Nothing, there is nothing to do but overlock or undervolt, and in this situation there is no need for either.Keep a look out for the temps, if anything gets close to 80C then you potentially have an issue

Funny, but I'm dead serious.
I understand a hot cpu means bad and a temperature bar filled to its maximum means horrible, so I'm deeply concerned the same applies to bus speed.

Did you serve in Vietnam?
Did you vote for Trump?
How did you find out about Sup Forums?

>that small 100MB windows boot partition
That's a distinct possibility which has fucked things, however if you boot into the Windows what can disk management see?

If you've used Gparted you could always give Test Disk a go to see what it can find.

No, yes, Reddit.

Spinrite

I am overclocking my 4790k as of right now and I was wondering what some safe temperatures are during stress testing.
I use IBT for 10 runs at maximum and I have yet to BSOD at 48x and 1.32v.
My temps at those settings were a little high for me to be comfortable with them, they came around 85-88 degrees celsius.
I know that I will never reach those temps in real life applications but I just want to make sure I am not damaging my chip while actually stressing it.
Are those temps too hot during like 20-30 minutes at a time? How much higher can I go given a timeframe of 20-30 minutes?

Everytime i try to make a thread it says "wrong captcha after i fill the captcha correctly and try to post it.
how do i stop this from happening?

I'm looking for a vpn for torrenting and general anonymity stuff. I've been using thatoneprivacysite to compare vpns, and I've seen PIA being recommended on other sites. Any recommendations for trustworthy vpns?

Does Github/Markdown support embedded webms/gifs?

hola
opera vpn

what's cinnamon like as a gui?
it looks nice and clean.

Is this a trick? Aren't free vpns a scam? Apparently PIA is selling a two year sub for $60 which is quite tempting, should I or keep searching for another, non-US based vpn?

PLease Respond

done!

Not use OBS? Or maybe install a previous version?

Hmm...

Anyone?

how do i into open source?
i've been programming for about 3-4 years and know a good amount of java and c++, but i feel like the guys who make the open source stuff on github make such advanced stuff i don't know how i'd contribute.

Anyone? spinrite isnt free
pretty pls

why my phone charges slowly with 2.1 amp charger?
I have a Huawei GR3 it came with 1amp charger.

Probably to stop you from destroying it

I have a 32gb usb key. Is there a way to make a bootable Windows [spoiler]10[/spoiler] UEFI partition on it and then have the spare space partitioned to store r/w data like drivers or backup data?

Yes

ive got a little mini midi keyboard. any idea why the DAW recognises but doesnt receive any input from the keyboard when the usb is in a front panel usb, but works fine on the back USBs (both 2 and 3.0)?

IT WORKED
u are a god

why is there no nice looking Sup Forums app for windows like clover on android?

Which uBlockO filters should I be using?

a guy called me by my real name (no surname) on another board. i dont have a meme name, how was that possible? just chance? hacker?

How do I fix this? I remember seeing some css on here to remove it but I didn't need to at the time.

I can't connect to Wifi on Tails. I posted about this issue before on /and I was told to update the driver software on my Wifi but that hasn't worked.

Is Google Chrome Portable (and portable apps in general) fully sandboxed?

I have to log into Chrome when I start working (I work from home) and it was a pin in the ass to keep logging in and out everyday I start/end work, so I installed Chrome Portable for work. When I'm done for the day I just close it then move to the regular installed Chrome. I'm 99% sure the company plugin records keystrokes and links when active but I'm not sure if it is only restricted to the browser it's logged into and only when the app is active.

Pls advise. Inb4 >muh botnet

>Firefox lags
>proceeds to disappear from the startbar
>reappears itself at the far right of all opened programs

Why is this allowed? I have a variable amount of programs open at any given time, yet Firefox is always open, so I'd like its position to remain constant, at the far left of everything else.

Is it just me or are google images taking 100x times longer to load these days? If I click on an image, 9 times out of 10 it takes more than 10 seconds to fully load the preview.

how do I stop Sup Forums from breaking when I scroll to the bottom, without getting out of my botnet comfort zone?

also, am I really mining memecoin for hiroshimoot, or are you all just memeing?

I would like to add a similar issue I have, where JPEGview refuses to show up on the taskbar (I called it the startbar a sec ago) unless it is the active window at the time. This results in your not being able to do anything after opening JPEGview, because if you do any inputs that change window priority, JPEGview will open silently underneath ALL other windows, requiring you to view your desktop to even check if it's opened yet. So to ask a better question than "why is this allowed", how do I stop this shit?

I have a pretty meh 900p monitor that I got for 15 bucks at a thrift store. Is it worth investing in a 1080p monitor? Will I be able to really feel a difference?
I watch movies/anime and play vidya, and my computer can handle 1080p just fine.

I searched for soup in google images and everything loads as fast as it could pretty much with Firefox

I can't speak on noticing a difference, but won't you feel validated being able to fully display the 1080p media you will have on your hard drive anyway? It's literally a bottleneck, so objectively it's not like removing it is worth nothing.

Hey Sup Forums, I think my rig just killed itself. I was gaming and got the sound feedback that goes with a blue screen, my monitor lost signal but a Youtube video I was listening to in the background kept playing uninterrupted. I powered off my rig and now when I power it on the fans scream as loud as they can and I'm not getting anything on my monitor. What's up? Did my GPU just explode?

Have you ever said your name before? Sometimes people on here have a way of remembering little details like that especially if you have a certain posting style or flag. Are you Miko the Estonian by any chance?
I've honestly wondered that myself if some anons on here know how to do those kind of things. Maybe it was exif data from an image you posted or IP address I don't know I'm just putting ideas out there. Then again it could just be luck an user on Sup Forums got found out like that once. Hopefully someone smarter than I can help you.

And teach me how to hack as well >:D

Has anyone used homeplug?
I don't have ethernet in my bedroom at home when I visit my parents so I'd like to still be able to use my computer when I bring it with me

if i need to store ~750gb of stuff do i have any decent free options aside from google drive?

i started upladong to google drive and it had an estimated upload time of 16 days which just isnt gonna cut it, i have really good upload speeds but i assume google has a limit

Whats a good firefox/waterfox/pale moon add on for screen shots? I've been using "prt sc" and paint but sometimes I need something a little clearer for the task at hand.

Would a SATA to USB3 cable work on a computer with only USB2 ports? I've read that it'd only work with 2.5" drives.

yes, it'll just run at usb2.0 speeds rather than usb3.0

> I've read that it'd only work with 2.5" drives.

idk what this would be in reference to? why would the size of the drive affect it at all

shift+f2
screenshot --clipboard --fullpage

my phone reads its storage at 0kb, if i delete something it still reads 0kb and i cant save anything and google play keeps saying i cant update anything since i have no space

whats going on?

conventional wisdom says that hdd's for RAID arrays should be from different batches, and a good way to ensure this is to buy different brands. I noticed 1 TB is actually 931.5 GB on Seagate and WD hdd, will 2 TB, 4 TB, 6 TB, and all other nominally equal sizes have the same amount of GB, or is there a chance a 4 TB HGST drive i buy has less storage than a 4 TB Seagate drive I buy and messes up my array?

i think is a reference to power requirements of the drive, which is why only 2.5" external drives have no power supply. I guess bigger platters take more energy than a USB 3.0 port can supply. might be worth checking the power through usb 3 vs usb 2

You dont want to mix brands for raid you want them to be as similar as possible, down to the same model

could be someone who knows you well enough irl to figure out who you are based on browsing preferences and speech patterns

Not him but I've been using "screenshot --fullpage" ever since someone showed it to me. I don't understand the clipboard bit buffering that. What does that do?

Will fit a Rx 580 Asus Strix on a Sentey ds1 4243 case?

but isnt the issue there that if i buy 4 drives of the same model and type from a store, they are typically from the same batch, and any flaw in manufacture will be on all of them, leading to close to simultaneous failure?

It sends it to the clipboard instead of a file in your downloads directory.You can then open your editing program and paste it for editing needs