Other urls found in this thread:

swaywm.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Better than X
>Still not fully adapted

It's not X
It's not X

This

Reminder that these threads are a conditioning psyop started by Red Hat to make Sup Forumsentoomen more accepting to whatever they want to shill

>still no xwayland on all hardware
Thank you based nvidia

>muh Redhat boogeyman

Red Hat is the reason why Linux is more than just a hobbiest distro.

bump + uwu

Seems fast and tearfree
Not a drop-in replacement

Did anyone get it to work well in Arch?

So it sounds like we mostly agree it's a good idea, but the transition's gonna be rough due to everything up till now being based around X.

Oh and also that Nvidia is a bag of dicks.

WARIO!

Also its not X.

Wayland is the systemd of displays

It is a cancerous bloated mess that can prevent the system from booting?

wat
I dont see how these two things are related

Wayland is literally unnecesary, like systemd.

your life is unnecessary

X is like Currysoft Windows.
It's bad because it's an insecure hodgepodge of patches thrown on top of patches and bad decisions following other bad decisions held together with duct tape and the sheer willpower of fingers crossed and hopes it doesn't come crashing.
But it's the standard, everyone supports it and it sort of works.

Wayland has the theoretical technological advantage. It's definitely written in a more solid way and unlike X doesn't have the legacy baggage.
But save for Gnome/KDE on the software side and Intel on the hardware side noone gives a shit.
And let's not dwelve into the 3rd party software development that is very unlikely to port software to wayland ever.

>dwelve
wew

also, don't AMD gpus work with it?

It's smooth.
It's way to minimal, there's no standard way to implement things like xrandr or screen recording.

Spotted the NEET

>X is like Currysoft Windows.
wtf I hate X now

Youre a fucking moron
Systemd is unnecessary piece of shit - true, but wayland sure as fuck isnt

The fact that the original spec is missing basic shit like screenshots or allowing specific apps control over the cursor/keyboard (after being allowed by the compositor ofc) makes is useless. KDE will implement this stuff and so will GNOME, but knowing these guys they won't be able to reach a common API for this shit.

How's this for a TWM?
Can't test it right now, but it seems promising
swaywm.org/

forgot teh pic

I need X compatibility anyway for xfig so what's the point

>control over the cursor/keyboard
why in the fuck should the graphics stack have anything to do with input?

>debian dont real

yep
can't fucking screenshot if your compositor doesn't have code to do it
>muh "gonna be standardized"
hasn't happened yet
gnome/freedesktop (think systemd for X) "this is for your own good" fags gon do it their incompatible way
kde gon create a bloated buggy interop-attempting mess
i3-likes and other hipster fags gon try to do a standard (one underway from sway IIRC)
gon take ages till/even if we're back to X-levels of ability to reuse behavior
cuz muh infotainment/mobile drivers of development and priorities

fuckin redhat/freedesktop/systemd windows-isating linux
/rant

It’s not Debian that got companies and actual organizations on board.

Wayland is a display server.
They usually handle input.
For example you need to know the state of the windows to properly pass through input events to the appropriate window.

not talking about graphics stack here you tard
wayland, like X, mixes up input into the mess
but wayland does things the Freedesktop way, i.e. "fuck your 'necessary' features, if you dont like us breaking all your workflows so you can be 0.25x as productive in your fancy tear-free desktop, get bent and stay on X, you luddite"
not that X doesn't suck balls in all the mentioned ways, and wayland fixes plenty of em
but wayland's gonna fuck up the workflows of plenty of people. Not talking about the facebook-machine type of users, obviously. Not to mention the massive (disproportional, compared to the gains) loss of flexibility
freedesktop gon freedesktop

>knowing these guys they won't be able to reach a common API for this shit.
Knowing these guys they'll come up with another shitty constantly changing badly documented dbus api.

doesn't change the fact that redhat's doing what most amoral entities would do - maximize its chances of long-term survival by fucking over whoever it can profit from and get away with.
if you think vendor lock-in and abuse of dev oligopoly is a-ok ethically, there's no sense in arguing - different folks have different value systems
Some people have this weird preference against shit being shoved down their throats and the tools they use getting unnecessarily over-crippled. Crazy, I know.

>workflows
>tools
doesn't that have fuck all to do with what wayland is doing, and has largely to do with your choice of DE/WM/compositor/whateverthefuckwe'recallingitnow

You know what's crazy? An idiot that has no idea about how things work in RedHat shitting out some conspiracies based on his twisted perception of the world.

bump

It mostly works, but it has strange bugs. I'm currently using it full time because I fell for the Wayland meme, and I got tired of GNOME's bloat and KDE's instability. For some reason Nautilus causes the entire session to crash back to GDM. GTK3 apps just flat don't work properly (menus are all blurry and unclickable) without setting GDK_BACKEND = x11, arguably defeating a lot of the point of using a Wayland WM.