/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Previous Thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5BiRYPs8NJ4&
youtube.com/watch?v=YFfJzeebKqc
piunikaweb.com/2017/12/26/some-samsung-galaxy-note8-units-died-after-battery-drained-out/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just ordered it with a free 40 refill card, what should I expect?

Asking for a friend.

So he bought a refurbished LG G4 and the phone went on good for about 3 months and now the phone has gone nuts.

When you switch on the phone, it shows the logo and after a minute it just shows the message "Security Error (Authetication Error : #9)" The phone doesn't go on further after the message gets displayed. He even tried switching it off an on a multiple times, taken the battery out and put it back in, etc in short he tried every way he could. At once the screen showed a factory setting menu and then just nothing at all later.

Has anyone with an LG G4 facing or has faced the same issue? What does he have to do now? Thanks.

Are Blackberries still a thing;and if so, are they worth it?

I just switched from an iPhone 7 to an LG V30

Holy fuck this phone

Do we know if the Nokia 7 will ever reach the west or do I have to import it just to drop it one month later and then complain about no warranty?

Ready to drop Apple and Sprint. US, will switch to Verizon.

Currently have an iPhone 6S and would like something comparable in size but with a battery that doesn't drop from 84% down to 50% by browsing Sup Forums for 45 minutes.

Storage would be nice too.

I need a phone for $200 and under,
>stock android hopefully Oreo
>usb-c
>good sound and mic quality
>good battery
Suggestions?

any phone out there with a decent camera, 5+ inch screen, under $300, and shorter than 140mm? Not too many options on gsmarena. Why are new phones gigantic?

honestly considering an iphone at this point

Redmi 4x or Mi A1

I'm confused, I though the Google camera port was only for Snapdragon 821/835 devices

That’s the boot loop issue LG got sued over
Yes, and they’re basically android with a physical keyboard. The ones that run BB10 can only run apps designed for JB and lower.
Quick Google says exclusive to China
Sounds like you need a battery replacement mate, my 5s gets about 6 hours SOT. Could try one of those Redmis though.
iPhone SE maybe? Relatively cheap used and you can always do a battery swap if it’s degraded.
Try it and see what happens. It’s mostly YMMV/Device dependent.

X compact, huawei Nova.

Nokia 8 or OP5T? I can get nokia for 100$ less and I don't have much more money than that, but 5t has better screen and non-cucked bootloader, so may be I can stretch my budget a bit

Done with apples shit need a new phone around 400-500$.
>around 6+ size
>nice camera
>some what thin bezels
>fingerprint
>expandable storage
I've been looking for a while and the huawei mate 10 and huawei mate 10 pro seem good but are too expensive.

What do you want out of a phone that a cheaper handset would not be able to handle?

Bezelless meme looks nice, also 5t seems to have better battery life, but all battery tests of nokia 8 I've found contradict each other, so can't say for sure. It also has a locked bootloader that may never get unlocked, and while it's nearly-stock android is probably good enough for me, having an option to get root and tweak some shit is never bad.

Should be able to get an s8 for that

youtube.com/watch?v=5BiRYPs8NJ4&

I have a $1 phone stylus like one of these, where it's a big rubber nub at the end of the pen, and I'm wondering if you guys know of any other phone stylus pens that have a finer tip for drawing.

Could you recommend a cheap one? I want to draw more and my Galaxy S8 is the highest resolution touchscreen that I own.

Get the mate 9. Good phone and cheap. Excellent camera. Fastest fingerprint reader. Great battery life. Charges faster than Qualcomm fast charge. No real downsides I've found yet unless you hate emui and aren't patient enough to wait for oreo.

Nah, works on SD625/650 too, even some SD430 phones (Nokia 6 at least).

I can get a note 8 for $500 with trade in of my s7 edge. Should I do this?

Note 8, S8+, or Pixel 2 XL?

I loved my note 1, 2, and 4 back in the day

Never had a straight google phone before but I heard the build quality is sorta bad

Pros and cons of each?

I had no idea this existed

Has anybody ever been able to load a custom ROM on a Huawei chinkphone?

>Budget
$240
>Country
United States
>Carrier
Verizon

Moto G5 Plus (get the 4/64 version)

Sure

Galaxy Note8

iPhone 8+ or iPhone X? want the big screen iphone but not sure about getting the X over the tried and tested form factor of the 8+

Note8
Pros
>Biggest screen
>best quality screen
>dual cameras
>6GB RAM
>USB type-C and a Headphone jack
>Samsung pay
>Spen and it's specific features
Cons
>touchwiz isn't as smooth as vanilla android
>price
>curved screen doesn't add anything (though it's not really a bad thing, just unnecessary)

S8+
Same as the Note8 but slightly smaller, no Spen, and 4GB of RAM instead of 6GB.

Pixel 2XL
Pros
>vanilla android is smoothest and fastest android experience
>excellent HDR+ pictures
>not too stupidly expensive (but still kinda pricey)
Cons
>screen quality leaves something to be desired
>overall build quality is lacking compared to samsung
>no headphone jack
>missing many features found in touchwiz (benefit of this is a smoother overall OS)

The differences between the Note 8 and S8+ are pretty small so I'll get those out of the way and then just compare the Note 8 to the Pixel 2 and iPhone X:

Note 8
+6 GB ram instead of 4 GB
+Dual Lens camera
+Pen

-Price

With that out of the way...

>OS/Experience

Pixel probably ahead of the Note 8 here and then it's just a question of iOS versus Android. Note 8 has more bloat due to Samsung and Carrier bloat compared to the Pixel.

>Camera

Pixel 2 > iPhone X >>>>> Note 8
The iPhone X and the Pixel 2 are pretty close with the Pixel 2 being slightly ahead. The Note 8 is a decent bit behind

>Display

iPhone X > Note 8 >>>> Pixel 2

iPhone X slightly ahead of the Note 8 here, with a similar screen but better calibrated. The Pixel 2 lags behind though

>Processing power

iPhone X >>>>>>> Note 8 = Pixel 2

A11 > Snapdragon 835, enough said

Note 8

>The iPhone X and the Pixel 2 are pretty close with the Pixel 2 being slightly ahead. The Note 8 is a decent bit behind
Honestly just depends what you're doing with your camera.

You can hardly say the note8 is a decent bit behind, its better with a few things and slightly worse at most things. That doesn't make it a decent bit behind the others, and if you're looking for the best quality low light pictures, or best quality OIS stabilized 1080p and 4k 30 video, the Note8 wins.

If you're looking at best overall, yeah the PIxel 2 and iPhone X are better than the Note8, but if I were to give them a scale of 100. Pixel 2 is 100, iPhone X is 98 and Note8 is 95.

You're STILL getting one of the best cameras you can get in a phone, even if it's not as good as the others.

Any +4000 mAh phones with snapdragon 6xx coming up?

Pixel XL or OP5T?

Pixel 2 XL or just the Pixel XL?

If the OG pixel, then the OP5T.

Yeah OG pixel.
Thanks.

Still rocking an OG galaxy S. How huge is the difference going to be going from this to a note 8? The galaxy s is having a real hard time doing anything these days but it still works for calls and texts no problem. Should I even upgrade?

Massive difference, even going from a Note5 to the Note8 was a nice upgrade, it wasn't necessary, but still noticeably smoother and that phone was only 2 years old. The Galaxy S is now 7 years old. It will be several orders of magnitude faster.

I bought a Sony z3 for 126 bucks and im pretty happy with it so far. It gets hot and thats my only real complaint. Everyone who sees it thinks its nice but no one even knows sony makes phones. Other thing is im terrified of breaking it because though it feels nice, the screens are prone to issues and Apparently the glass cracks super easy. Hard to find a case too, been carrying it around in bubble wrap. Which makes me feel absolutely ridiculous. But yeah. Thats my blog post/story none of you will care about.

Just popping in to say that my LG V20 is everything I wanted and more. Literally the best sub $400 phone one could ask for.

except it's huge

my android phone works fine most of the time, but sometimes it just doesn't stop rebooting itself. gets really warm while doing so, too.
safemode remedies this, and it just randomly goes away after some time in normal mode?

how do I best go about debugging this?

>Implying that's a bad thing
What's the matter user? Can't handle a little girth? With enough practice and patience I'm sure you can handle it

why are you so defensive?

You said it's the best sub $400 phone I could ask for, and i said why it's not

I'm getting a Note 8 delivered to me tomorrow, what's the Sup Forums approved way of backing up stuff from Android? Just dump it onto a PC or is there some service that's nice? Old phone is a Pixel

EDIT: I really only care about what's already in my Google account which will auto-sync anyway so nevermind

I'm genuinely upset you've bought the phone I've had for months.

I might have to buy something else now

dd

Nice, you should get an iphone since your clearly a fagget.

Jordan is and always has been a bigger faggot than myself, clearly the Note8 is now the faggot device.

>Defensive
Not at all. I'm bored and saw the opportunity for a little bit of harmless banter.

Faggot

Holy fuck what? is it good

>now

>I only pretended to be defensive

You should move away from it if you are really concerned about using the fag phone.
I chose it because of all the faggots in Sup Forums using it (so it must be good I figure)

Just like old thinkpads and ATH-M50's right?

>muh synthetic benchmarks govern actual performance
toddle away faggot

M50s are a shit meme but ThinkPads will never not be great

Sup Forums my mi4 lte died after 15 months of abuse.
I am looking for a chinkphone replacement with capabilities similar to it with a budget of 150~160

any hot sales on chinkphones?

looking for a phone with the following:
>lte 800 b20
>removable battery
bonus points for the following:
>released after 2017-01-01
>soc litography better than 28 nm

that's just 4 (four) simple requirements and it looks like no fucking phone at all meets these

redmi note 4

Use gsmarena dispshit

0 matches

I am looking at it but I don't understand, it appears this is slower than the mi 4lte?

Well if you took that removable battery requirement away you start finding phones

youtube.com/watch?v=YFfJzeebKqc

It's fairly easy to change battery for redmi note 4 for example.

Slower in what way? You play some phone games?

>model: KEK

Does Sup Forums hate the Razer Phone? No one ever talks about it in these threads.

The only legitimate complaint I see touted around is the admittedly horrendous out-of-the-box camera experience. But to be fair, once you side load the Google camera apk, the pictures and videos it takes are easily on par with last years' flagships. The hardware is decent, Razer's camera software is just absolute shit.

Once you get over that hurdle look at what you get:

>SD835
>8GB of RAM
>120hz screen
>4000mAh battery
>stock android
>best speakers on any phone
>24bit headphone DAC
>$700

Why doesn't anyone want this phone? Is it really just because of it's ugly 'gamer' aesthetic?

i fell for the non-removable battery meme once and i won't be making the same mistake again

so basically my choices are
>ulefone power 2 (meme)
>cubot note plus (meme)
>moto g5 (this one may actually be worth looking at)

same with my Moto Z play. Got it on sale for 250 euros. I legit dont know where to go up from here without adding meme shit to it.

Because the note 8 exists and does pretty much everything the razor phone does but better. It'll be interesting to see what happens next year when they work the kinks out.

Despite the battery, has poor SoT, but good phone still.
Better out there for the price

>$700

This is why. I only spend 200$ on a phone. Because I don't do jackshit with 8gb of ram or 120hz screen or sd835

Just get phone with +4000 mAh battery so you don't have to change it on phone's life cycle.

stock lg android music player/video player/gallery/file explorer are starting to piss me off

what are some good replacement apps for the stock ones that good UI functionality

no, but my mi4lte was released over 2 years ago, and this redmi note 4, which costs the same is slower. That sounds unusual in technology.

I have this older iPhone 5c that I've kept around and it's still on iOS 8.1.2, jail broken with pangu. I've heard the news of the new 10.3.3 jailbreak, and 10.3.3 is still being signed for 32 bit devices. I have a lot of apps that I can't download because they need iOS 9 or 10 but I'm Shy about upgrading because I've heard it newer iOS versions fuck with the battery and I've also heard its generally best to not upgrade so I'm at a crossroads here. Not my main device. Wwyd?

What's the best tablet for $200-250? In the 9-10 inch range.

Not strictly smartphone I know but I just got a free Fire 8 HD and I'm wondering what I can do with it in terms of getting more use out of it?

Samsung Galaxy tab 9.6 was on sale a while back for $179 I got one for my mom and its alright

When my phone is inactive it still consumes a lot of battery, what can I do? is there any app that regulates this kind of behaviour or helps to manage it. My phone is a LG G6 and im on Android 7.0

Mine has recently done this as well it used to last for like a week, big battery Moto z play droid and since nougat update my battery lasts only like a day at most

Slower in what aspect? SD 625 is much more energy efficient.

Short answer: no. It's a step forward in most use cases.

In the real world, 625 may have better multi-tasking performance (8 cores vs 4 cores on the 801). 801 has better single core performance, but not by much.

625 is also much newer and has a different configuration, uses a better gpu (adreno 510 vs adreno 330) so has native 4k playback, among other refinements you'd expect from a SoC that's 2 years newer.

Can I get a rundown on the approximate cost it takes to manufacture phones?
(For entering the market)

Thinking about finally upgrading from this to a note 8. Sell me on the smartphone meme. Is it really that amazing?

What the fuck even is that??

p good

piunikaweb.com/2017/12/26/some-samsung-galaxy-note8-units-died-after-battery-drained-out/

S

>click my shitty website
Lol no

>pajeetsite
Fuck off ranjit

well guess that is an improvement, at least they didn't explode and burn down your car like their predecessor

its not a very good phone overall

can't decide on pixel 2 non-XL vs the XL

can anyone chime in? i'm upgrading from an LG V20 and I think it feels uncomfortable to hold at times, but the XL pixel display seems really nice and the extra battery life seems worth it

XL

why

Currently have an P9+ and I'm sick of emui and no updates and want to give it to my mom and go back to Samsung is the new A8 2018 worth it? It seems hot.