Which directory are linux programs stored? Also how do I uninstall stuff I don't need?

bin for binary

i'm pretty mad right now
>>>>>>>>>>>>>/sqt/
>>>>>>>>>>/bin and /bin/usr
apt-get remove program
sage and kill yourself

They're installed in a bunch of different directories depending their usage. Also, most of the time config files, cache and the actual binaries are in separate folders.

Just use your package manager, boyo.

Depends. Use your package manager it to remove stuff. Really wish there was a standardized place to put self compiled programs in, instead of retards demanding you put it in some awkward place in ~.

The thing is I don't know what things I want to uninstall , I just need storage space freed. I need to see it but that information is not presentable

Seems like a huge oversight in linux

Thanks

apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
kys for bumping
sage

use your package manager
you can list things you've installed, and uninstall whatever you want using it

I still don't get /opt/.

it's for 3rd party pre built packages dummy

3rd party application software.

But it's all just "conventions", at the end stuff can go wherever devs want. As an example, in Ubuntu deadbeef installs to /opt/ despite being a pretty standard gtk linux application, yet Spotify installs to /usr/ despite being a 3rd party proprietary application. OracleDB installs to its own root level /oracle folder because oracle is srs bsns.

either way, as an end-user, you don't need to care or know where things are installed, as your package manager keeps track of everything for you

How

depends on which package manager you use

The unspoken rule is that installations go into /opt when the app/project needs to rely on a whole hierarchy of directories that they install. Installing a directory into /usr/local/bin is a bad smell.

/opt is an older convention. The modern equivalent is to use a combination of /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share, and /usr/local/etc. But manage three separate directories is extra work (and devs are lazy) so project devs often the make their own directory in /usr/local.

i seriously can get whats the point of /var/

>package manager
Every time I purge stuff with apt it still leaves files scattered all over. Windows doesn't really do it any better but at least it doesn't put stuff in 20 different folders, so it's easy to manually remove things.

Logs.

echo $PATH

I fucking love spurdo

>Really wish there was a standardized place to put self compiled programs in
There is you retard

On Gentoo, "q size" can tell you. No huge oversights.

Huh, the only thing package managers should maybe leave by convention is configuration.

If your package manager leaves stuff all over the filesystem, something is wrong.

retard

>so it's easy to manually remove things.
You shouldn't be manually removing things in the first place you retard.

>apt-get
Check your debian privilege shitlord