You're a moral monster if you don't let everyone take advantage of you and your work and force everyone to do the same...

>You're a moral monster if you don't let everyone take advantage of you and your work and force everyone to do the same thing.
Does someone unironically believe it in the GPL and the Free software movement?

I do

>Great image
>Great green text
>Great OP
Great thread.

Have fun sucking your corporate daddies' dick for proprietary botnet software

stfu
the gpl is garbage and needs to be eliminated along with the fsf and stalled meme

For corporations the GPL is actually a cheap tool to collaborate on some software without maybe giving the competition an edge.

>if you don't agree with me you are a spook
God who about a real answer?

Indeed I don't let everyone take advantage of me, I expect them to contribute (A)GPLv3'd code in return for using my code. Simple deal.

Some other entities demand money or demand to sell your privacy, I demand less and the same as I myself was willing to provide.

>force everyone to do the same thing.
no one is forced to use the GPL retard.

if you happen to use GPL code in your project or fork it you need to provide changed back upstream because without the previous code that you didnt write you wouldnt be anywhere idiot.

no one is forcing their devs to license as GPL and no one is making people fork GPL code.

fucking retards.

>giving an unironic answer to a bait thread

>let everyone take advantage of you
That's BSD-type licences family

>force everyone to do the same thing
It's such a good thing; why woud forcing it on people be bad? :thonking:

Also that's my crop of rms you took without giving credit (you even kept the filename and everything). You'll be hearing from FSF lawyers.

Stallman claims that proprietary software is immoral. Which means you have to do things his own way.
Good luck, I don't live in the land of the "free".

I do, not to an extreme but I do believe it is good for the industry

>Stallman claims that proprietary software is immoral. Which means you have to do things his own way.
I claim that murder is immoral. Are you going to complain about me and my stance?

Stallman has never suggested using force to make someone use ethical software. Stop being a baby because an old autist wizard has principles.

>use someone else's code in your software
>deny others the same thing
You're free to write everything yourself and license it under whatever license you wish.

Only if I disagree with it.
I claim sodomy is immoral. Are you going to complain about me and my stance?
According to Stallman, I'm a moral monster if I don't choose a "Free" license.

>I claim sodomy is immoral. Are you going to complain about me and my stance?
I think such a stance is absurd so personally I am slightly ass blasted but I'm not going to make a thread on 4chins complaining that someone thinks that.

What if the stance was technology related and the person had a fairly large amount of influence. No?

There is no such thing as "free work".
The only thing that changes is what kind of compensation you get, with some works like for example reverse engineering and writing emulators being satisfactory enough on their own and some being for fame, or increasing your curriculum.

Which is why Open source generally fails when the code is boring or annoying to write.

Or in other words, you can get an incredible realtime vulkan accelerated raytracer renderer for free, but making it integrated to a 3D program instead of a commandline bullshit will cost ya.

Christians think I'm a moral monster because I have premarital sex, Muslims think I'm a moral monster if I drink alcohol, Eco-fanatics think I'm a moral monster if I use plastic bags, vegans think I'm a moral monster if I eat eggs...

If you cared about what people think you'd lay on the ground and do nothing. But then some would think you're a moral monster for being lazy. You can't please everyone, user.

But if someone has licensed their code under the GPL you can either use the code and respect the license and the choice of the codesmith or you can write your own.

I wouldn't call it a movement if it's stagnant

>Microsoft pays employees
>They write code
>They close source the code so no one can fork it and put everyone out of a job

>Apple pays employees
>They write code
>They close source the code so no one can fork it and put everyone out of a job

>Meanwhile on Linux
>Some neet writes half assed code because he has nothing else to do
>Realises he wants money
>Stops working on the project
>Goes unpatched until another neet comes along, the circle continues
>Driver support is terrible because none of the established companies want to open source their code and put everyone out of a job

>Bill, Steve and Satya living comfortably
>As is Tim
>the fuck is Richard doing?

Friendly reminder that MIT, BSD, public domain, MPL, etc are all free software licenses approved by the FSF, so your only reason to use GPL is that you agree with the ideology

>Hey guys. I invented this very cool thing, sadly I can't show you how it works for. .. reasons. If you want to use it, just call me and I'll come to your home and let you use it, while I'm watching. I hope you don't mind if I make photos of you and search your room for secrets while you're using it. I hope you also don't mind that I share what I find with my friends, who may send you advertisements, also, you should be aware that when you share that thing with your friend, I'll not hesitate to call the police, because that's theft.

You realize that many developers write code for Linux on company time that the company willingly pays them for, right? Or are you just that fucking stupid that you think companies don't contribute to the Linux kernel?

Friendly reminder that MIT, BSD, etc give your all the freedoms you need, the GPL gives you additionally protection, making sure that free things actually stay free.

How can they take advantage of me when the gpl explicitly forbids corporations not sharing their improvements with my source? I am the one profiting by getting code from actual professionals.