Would I be able to run a 2-drive Raspberry Pi NAS 24/7 in a gun safe without overheating...

Would I be able to run a 2-drive Raspberry Pi NAS 24/7 in a gun safe without overheating? I'm guessing it will draw maybe 20 watts, but safes are typically heavily insulated for fire protection. How large would the safe have to be to radiate all the heat?

I hope this serves double duty to also keep my guns and other valuables from rusting. Lots of people run tiny heating elements in gun safes to keep condensation from forming.

Safes are treated externally with several lays inbetween that help with fire-proofing, the inside, if exposed to the metal walls, should enable you to use the safe itself as a large heatsink for the rPi.

How do you plan on running a power cord in?

By drilling a small hole in the side.

You know your every day handheld drill that you have in your house won't do it right?
These are items designed to resist drilling, cutting, thermal attacks. The whole idea of a safe is to keep out everyone but the key (code) - holder, you know that right?

You know, I think you're probably better off getting a cage rather than a safe.

Why get a fireproof safe and then drill a hole?

They actually aren't.

To make all sides of a safe out of some sort of hardened tool steel would make the price for an average safe astronomical. Even then, an angle grinder would make short work of it.

I'm under no illusions that any safe I would get can resist attack from power tools.

It depends on the safe. Most consumer safes are garbage, especially gun safes.
Not to say they won't keep your stuff reasonably safe, it's just that the crazy ones where you'd never be able to move them, and would take a long time to get through are pretty much never found in a home.

Do you understand what a safe is?

This is wrong, most of the safes you can buy aren't designed to resist much more than heat and a crowbar, since that's all you really need in a normal home.
Power tools would make short work of them, but in the event of a robbery that's the last thing you have to worry about.

Don't drill a hole in a fireproof safe, ruins the whole point of the thing being fireproof.

It doesn’t. Typical gun safes aren’t even close to being airtight and a small hole with a rubber grommet won’t make the inside of the safe an inferno in a house fire.

I’m not buying a safe to make my stuff safe from determined thieves but to keep my kids from playing with my guns.

Two sheets of 12 gauge sheet metal with a layer of foam in between?

Just use a flat cable and you don't have To Drill.

OK, so is it one of those cheap sheet metal chinese gun safes?

I'm curious as to what you plan to use the RasberryPi for?

Could it be for an alarm or light activation? Camera?

Thats a dumb idea, if you want your nas to be protected put it in a better place itself this idea of yours will both compromise the nas itself and the gun safe.

Why don't you just invest in off-site backups? Seems like a lot less of a hassle.

NAS, read the OP.

Burger land. Jeez.

>not a single person asking what the room temperature is

Maybe just use the safe as a heatsink as
said?

Heat could only be a problem if the drives are used heavily but that is not going to happen if you use a RasPi.
The RasPi is a terrible sbc for usage in an actual "productive" nas. Its usb lane is very slow and the ethernet is also very slow. Both etbernet and all usb ports share the same lane.
Use a banana pi instead. It has a real sata interface (this is what you want for drives) and real gigabit ethernet. Much better suited for a nas.
Heat shouldn't be a problem, use 2,5" dives if you want to be cautious.

Be careful with cheap gun safes. They put a bunch of sheetrock in them to make them feel "beefy and solid" when in reality it's no thicker than the sheet metal on your garage door.

There are some serious/real gun safe brands like Fort Knox that do completely custom designs. Will cost you a lot of money, they start at $25-30k for entry level.

>to keep my kids from playing with my guns
Just put them in the ceiling?

Keeping your guns in a safe is absolutely valid and you should defnitley do it.

For the nas however, you should ask yourself what exactly it is you want:

If you want to protect the data on your nas from physical dangers, hardware theft etc an offsite backup would be both safer and cheaper (backblaze, dropbox etc). If you want your data protected from being stolen/ tampered with, you should just buy a normal nas and set up an encrypted volume on it.