Is there a reason to not just learn javascript in the year 2018?

Is there a reason to not just learn javascript in the year 2018?

>b-but its a webshit language
>b-but it won't teach you to do this or that
>b-but in MY opinion its not the best

Well with a engineering or CS degree your knowledge of analyzing 14th century poetry is probably insufficient, and you might think the poetry you made in the 5th grade is better, but none of that is relevant.

ADULTS who actually want to do SERIOUS work and actually make money have NO reason to not be PRIMARILY proficient with javascript.

you can learn it in one day

Yep, true. JS has a bad reputation, but the language is very nice since ES6.

I'm sure that more and more applications will be web applications in the future, not fat applications anymore.

If your only goal is to make money then go for it. No one is stopping you. But just remember this, the unexamined life is not worth living.

Not true. It's a very complex language. You can learn DOM manipulation in one day, but JS is more.

I can learn the rules of football in a day

So I was using Windows for the last 20 years and gave Linux Mint a try this week. What I noticed:
- Its look is worse than Windows 10. I used the cinnamon UI and it looks pretty bad.
- I had to enter my password every 5 minutes
- I tried to install basic software like Spotify, Netflix and OneDrive. For most software there is only a homebrew basement-coded version by a single hobby coder available, no official software.
- Python was only available in v3.5. To install v3.6 I had to go to hundreds of forum posts telling me to enter some shit on the terminal. None of commands worked, the terminal was flooded with errors.

So after I noticed that I only need a handful of sotware anyway which works better on windows (EXE installer, done), I returned to Windows 10.

Maybe I'm giving Linux another chance in 5 more years.

ITT: More experiences like this.

I work primarily on embedded devices or desktop software that communicates with them. C/C++ and C#/Java for GUI are sufficient. I can learn actually good languages in my spare time instead of javashit, like Idris.

>- Python was only available in v3.5. To install v3.6 I had to go to hundreds of forum posts telling me to enter some shit on the terminal. None of commands worked, the terminal was flooded with errors.
Lmao, sounds exactly like you'd expect python to work on mint.
What the fuck are the python and mint devs doing?

If you treat it like a functional language, it'll be great.
Anything else and it'll not be.
If you don't know what JavaScript being multi-paradigm means it'll be hell.

If you switched to javascript you could easily get another job that pays significantly more. You are limiting yourself because of childish attitudes.

Please, don't

What learning resources do you recommend?
I understand it to be a dynamically-typed language (like Python) that uses braces for block-like structuring of the code (like C and Pascal).
What does JavaScript have that makes it different to C (bar being an interpreted language)? What keywords and functions does it have that C doesn't?
What about JavaScript's standard library?

What about if I just compiled my C code into WebAssembly?

you can learn mathematical syntax in one day

>need to debug javascript
>disable ublock
>hit F12
>break on every line
>click button
>onclick()
>hit F11
>it steps into fucking ublock
I hate javascript, I hate browsers, I hate Ashkenazi trolls who gaslight my people on an industrial scale into feeling guilty for making a stranger feel mildly uncomfortable while committing a genocide of the native people of Judea, I hate ricotta cheese

Give me the numbers, kid.

I don't know a single experienced javascript dev who makes less than 130k + 401k matching and benefits.

Just work on your little autistic C projects at home.

>not fat applications anymore.
Pretty ironic considering how bloaty fucking Electron ist. Webdev holocaust when?

This 100x.

I switched over my dell laptop with an i5 in it to mint months ago and its great because I'm not retarded

The big problem with just learning vanilla JavaScript, is that JavaScript is souless.

There is no javascritic way of doing anything. JavaScript is the programming language equivalent of a cheap Singaporean prostitute. If you just learn javascript, you literally can't do anything.

See the original post. Your post is meaningless and irreverent.

I started javascript two- years ago and love it!
And now you can use typescript that is even more versatile, javascript is definetly the language for the web, its the hivemind

Using Linux is only rewarding if you know what your doing.
Pick up a book baka

>C neckbeards resort to casual racism to justify their sour grapes about not making 130k like most javascript devs

I really felt that the analogy with Singaporean prostitutes was necessary.

Until webassembly gets here, then we can have a couple good languages like typescipt without having to worry about compiling to js

Kek javascript is the bottom of the barrel for computer science, you provide nothing of value with scripts.

JS devs make good money but it's fucking boring

And C devs don't make a bad salary. And they can go to work without dealing with a bunch of tranny full stack devs all day

b-but OP said Javascript pays more!

OP has buyer's remorse for that webdev Bootcamp he paid 5k for

Is there a reason you're only learning it now? I've been proficient in JavaScript for a decade now. Some things I can tell you from experience:

JavaScript is the worst language.

There are JavaScript fanbois who love JavaScript, because it's the only language they know with any proficiency.

The second point seems to be an accurate description for (You)

The JavaScript jobs in my area pay better than the C/C++/Java/C# shops.

The Java marked is flooded with Pajeet.

Game devs are all broke.

More embedded devs are using Node.js

I put a lot of effort into learning different languages (OCaml, Go, Common Lisp, Racket, Clojure, Nim,,, whatever) and it's really not worth the time suck. Shit is not going to pay my bills (((like JavaScript is))).

I do JS development as a hobby to complement my website.

Can you explain to me the "ah-ha" that turns JS from just-another-web-development-language into something more?

async

My god
Im new to programming, and the amount of retarded elitist autism about programming languages is retarded level.
>muh language
>yours is bad mine is great
you are like fucking kids

>Can you explain to me the "ah-ha" that turns JS from just-another-web-development-language into something more?
Because of electron you can use JS to make desktop apps, so it appeals to the silicon valley tech hipster crowd who jizz their pants at the thought of getting out of learning actual application programming

what's the new definitive javascript book now that crockford is outdated?

this

you mean all i have to learn is babies first language and I make 110k a year? no way it is that easy

It's probably just like that in hipster L.A. where you need to give away 3/4 for rent.